My choice for Head Coach

While Ozzie was on staff in Baltimore previously, he wasn't named GM of Baltimore until 2002. Marchibroda was gone in 1998.

I saw Billick, "the offensive guru's"work with Baltimore's offense over a 9 year span. I was unimpressed to say the least.

I'm not sure the point here... The Raven's won the SB in 2000. Either Billick gets the credit as coach, since Ozzie wasn't making the decisions all by himself or you give them both credit. You can't call that squad Ozzie's team if you don't think he was drafting them.

Being in MD, the Raven's are my other team and while Billick never pulled it together on offense, he was still a damn good coach. In addition Billick's got a nice little coaching tree that's blooming: Del Rio, Lewis, Rex Ryan, Mike Smith, and Singletary... I'm just sayin'

Ugh, Billick?? You want another coach who had one good year and never did anything again? Have you noticed that no one is beating a path to Billick's door? A few guys wind up on TV like Cowher because they need a break. Others like Billick wind up on TV because no one will return his calls. Knowing Buffalo's luck we'll wind up with him. He'll be the last HC we need because the team will just move to L.A. after all the fans give up.

PTR

Obviously Cowher was a head coach longer and had quite a bit of early success, but on just a whim

I thought I would compare the two coaches stats during just the years they were both head coaches,

especially since they coached in the same division, so they were meeting similar opponents and each

other twice a year...

Cowher coached Pitt from 1992 to 2006; Billick coached Bal from 1999 to 2007,

so, their overlap years were 1999 to 2006.

Pitt 6-10

Bal 8-8

Pitt 9-7

Bal 12-4 won the superbowl

Pitt 13-3 lost to NE in AFC Championship

Bal 10-6 lost to Pitt in Divisional round of playoffs

Pitt 10-5-1 lost to Tenn in Divisional round of playoffs

Bal 7-9

Pitt 6-10

Bal 10-6 lost to Tenn in Wild Card game

Pitt 15-1 lost to NE in AFC Championship game

Bal 9-7

Pitt 11-5 won the Superbowl

Bal 6-10

Pitt 8-8

Bal 13-3 lost to Colts in divisional round

So:

Cowher 78-49-1 60.9375 winning % 5 winning seasons 4 playoff appearances 1 Superbowl

Billick 75-53 58.59375 winning % 5 winning seasons 4 playoff appearances 1 Superbowl

Head to Head in the regular season they faced each other 16 times with each

coach winning 8 times; Cowher and the Steelers did win their only playoff meeting in 2001.

Cowher would still be my first choice (if he wants to come), he did go to the playoffs 6 of 7 years

(1992-1998) before Billick took over in Baltimore. Overall Cowher made playoffs 10 of 15 years,

Billick made playoffs 4 of 9 years...but maybe Cowher doesn't make as many playoffs early on

if Billick was coaching in Baltimore during those early years and they were battling for the division

every year like they were from 1999-2006.

Anyhow, while they were both coaching in the same division things were pretty even, so maybe

overall there isn't as big a difference as many of us may have assumed.

I'd be more than ok with Billick if Cowher doesn't want to come.

So:

Cowher 78-49-1 60.9375 winning % 5 winning seasons 4 playoff appearances 1 Superbowl

Billick 75-53 58.59375 winning % 5 winning seasons 4 playoff appearances 1 Superbowl

Head to Head in the regular season they faced each other 16 times with each

coach winning 8 times; Cowher and the Steelers did win their only playoff meeting in 2001.

Cowher would still be my first choice (if he wants to come), he did go to the playoffs 6 of 7 years

(1992-1998) before Billick took over in Baltimore. Overall Cowher made playoffs 10 of 15 years,

Billick made playoffs 4 of 9 years...but maybe Cowher doesn't make as many playoffs early on

if Billick was coaching in Baltimore during those early years and they were battling for the division

every year like they were from 1999-2006.

Anyhow, while they were both coaching in the same division things were pretty even, so maybe

overall there isn't as big a difference as many of us may have assumed.

I'd be more than ok with Billick if Cowher doesn't want to come.

Good long post....

I dont know why people wouldnt like a coach that assembles a good coaching stuff and is a winner.

The way I am reading this whole Cowher for coach thing is that the Bills are the ones sitting on the fence for this guy. I'm sure that Cowher and the Bills have had their supposed meetings and the Bills probably laid their cards out on the table and Cowher sent them back with a few demands that the Bills might not want to commit to.

The Bills most likely returned with their bottom line offer and left it at that. Now the Bills and Cowher are waiting for the other to see who will blink first. As has been said before the sticking point is probably not salary, but more likely personnel control and the ability and willingness to spend on coaching staff and players.

If Ralph was willing to give Cowher what he wants as far as the means (money) to turn the franchise around without restrictions (cash to cap) I'm sure that we would already have our coach signed.

Now, is Ralph taking advantage of the lack of other coaching opportunities to maybe force Cowhers hand? Or is Cowher really ready to take himself out of the running?

It is a good sign that Cowher has yet to remove himself from the running publicly, because if he really wasn't considering the job he would have already come out and said so.

I find it funny that Seattle fired and hired a coach in the matter of a day and the Bills are a couple of months removed from the Jauron era and have yet to fill the HC position at One Bills Drive.

He is my dark horse. His defenses are always tough, and after seeing him in action on Hard Knocks, I just get the feeling he will make a great head coach. Being from the Parcells tree is a rather nice bullet point to have on your resume'.

For what its worth, I also enjoyed Billick when he was on Hard Knocks with the Ravens. Specifically, when officials had to delay a preseason affair versus the Eagles at the old Vet due to the poor condition of the turf >>> Billick hunted down the grounds crew and lit them up ... "Before I leave here, I want a name. Someone's ASS is coming with me in my briefcase!!!"

4get Zimmer. HE's no different than Perry or Frazier or Rivera. To me if they hire a coordinator they might as well keep Perry.

The way I am reading this whole Cowher for coach thing is that the Bills are the ones sitting on the fence for this guy. I'm sure that Cowher and the Bills have had their supposed meetings and the Bills probably laid their cards out on the table and Cowher sent them back with a few demands that the Bills might not want to commit to.

The Bills most likely returned with their bottom line offer and left it at that. Now the Bills and Cowher are waiting for the other to see who will blink first. As has been said before the sticking point is probably not salary, but more likely personnel control and the ability and willingness to spend on coaching staff and players.

If Ralph was willing to give Cowher what he wants as far as the means (money) to turn the franchise around without restrictions (cash to cap) I'm sure that we would already have our coach signed.

Now, is Ralph taking advantage of the lack of other coaching opportunities to maybe force Cowhers hand? Or is Cowher really ready to take himself out of the running?

It is a good sign that Cowher has yet to remove himself from the running publicly, because if he really wasn't considering the job he would have already come out and said so.

I find it funny that Seattle fired and hired a coach in the matter of a day and the Bills are a couple of months removed from the Jauron era and have yet to fill the HC position at One Bills Drive.

First, you assume a lot. Ball is in Cowher's court. Second, the Bills are trying to hold out for Cowher. So why would they hire someone quickly? If Cowher wasn't in play we probably would see a coach already. And Pete Carroll? I don't know if you need to be in a rush to hire him. Seattle will regret it.

Billick will be able to assemble a top notch staff. Put a first time coach in Buffalo and he has no shot of getting good coordinators. This in itself is reason enough to hire him.

Don't know if this is true yet. When you call Mike Tice to be on your staff, that cant be good. He has never had a good offensive coordinator work for him except Jim Fassell. and that did not help Kyle Boller turn into a star. He has had good Defensive coordinators, but with a defense that was as talented as that, any coach will look good.

I like Billick too, but there must be a good reason why he hasn't received any interest.

Ugh, Billick?? You want another coach who had one good year and never did anything again? Have you noticed that no one is beating a path to Billick's door? A few guys wind up on TV like Cowher because they need a break. Others like Billick wind up on TV because no one will return his calls. Knowing Buffalo's luck we'll wind up with him. He'll be the last HC we need because the team will just move to L.A. after all the fans give up.

PTR

And so who are we going to get... someone ELSE who hasn't done anything and has no ring? Boy, you act as if there are alternatives that are better than Billick, but the reality is that there are not.

First, you assume a lot. Ball is in Cowher's court. Second, the Bills are trying to hold out for Cowher. So why would they hire someone quickly? If Cowher wasn't in play we probably would see a coach already. And Pete Carroll? I don't know if you need to be in a rush to hire him. Seattle will regret it.

I never claimed anything as fact, I was merely stating my point of view. Thanks for reminding me that my opinion was an assumption, I appreciate that.

It is beginning to appear (due to the lack of announcements) that NONE OF THE ABOVE are interested in becoming a H.C. in Buffalo.

Talk about "Ugly step-sister syndrome" (Due to Shannahan, Gruden, Shotty and still possibly Cowher) Making up excuses to NOT be interested in the Bills H.C. job.

This is quite embarrassing to see our beloved team AND owner reduced to having a potential coach play the "

well let's just wait and see if I can get something better than working in Buffalo" game.

Two teams had H.C. jobs open AFTER the BILLS and BOTH appear to have landed their man. While we sit here drooling over "Capt. Drool" who wants ANYWHERE else but Buffalo to be his next home.

At this rate, we'll be lucky if we can get the losingest H.S. girls volleyball coach to accept a job in Buffalo.

Just like our failed draft picks, we leave the best player on the table for someone else. "Billick" If you can't dance with the prettiest girl at the prom, at least dance with one who isn't the ugliest, and is WILLING to dance with you.

100% seconded. Despite what he's said in the past, he clearly wants the job.

We could do a lot worse than Billick (and that's what worries me). The guy has a proven track record, and the sooner we hire him or someone else of his caliber, the sooner the new HC can get here and start rebuilding this thing. Nix and the new HC have a TON of work to do between now and the draft. I hope the front office staff is doing a lot of research on available free agents right now because Buffalo is going to have to bring in a few FA's to rebuild. We can't fill all the holes with the draft.

Closing comments - Get Lynch outta here please - :w00t:

And so who are we going to get... someone ELSE who hasn't done anything and has no ring? Boy, you act as if there are alternatives that are better than Billick, but the reality is that there are not.

Kirk Ferentz is better

Jim Harbaugh probably is too