Green Day sellout is complete

Well Jesus freaking Christ you Dipshit! Why don't you just pull out the worst possible archive material! The sound quality of all of these clips is ****.....at least hold this up as some sort of example:

Dear God is right. If you can't play your own songs live without sucking royally you are not a good band. Blaming the sound quality is pretty lame. Who is creating that sound?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear God is right. If you can't play your own songs live without sucking royally you are not a good band. Blaming the sound quality is pretty lame. Who is creating that sound?

I will agree that they were not a great live band, Andy always hated the stage and they did not play live after about 1982. Their studio work was incredible however.

Similar to Milli Vanilli in many ways I suppose.

Just listen to the damn albums! I know you would appreciate this stuff if you gave it an actual chance...pick up a copy of Oranges and Lemons for example and then get back to me.

XTC have been a major influence on a pretty diverse group of more famous musicians...

Just listen to the damn albums! I know you would appreciate this stuff if you gave it an actual chance...pick up a copy of Oranges and Lemons for example and then get back to me.

You can't force a sound on someone. That new wave stuff that came out of England in the 80's is some really bad crap in my mind. Can't stand it. And if you need the tricks of the studio to create good music then you're not much of a musician in my mind.

You can't force a sound on someone. That new wave stuff that come out of England in the 80's is some really bad crap in my mind. Can't stand it. And if you need the tricks of the studio to create good music then you're not much of a musician in my mind.

Just curious Chef, are you a musician? How old are you (not a dig)? Colin Moulding is worth his weight in gold, if you do play an instrument you can't lie about this man's talent. Don't dismiss it in a broad stroke manner, dig in to the good stuff, not just another 80's band, they go wayyyyyyyyyy deeper than that.

So, do you play Chef?

Just curious Chef, are you a musician? How old are you (not a dig)? Colin Moulding is worth his weight in gold, if you do play an instrument you can't lie about this man's talent. Don't dismiss it in a broad stroke manner, dig in to the good stuff, not just another 80's band, they go wayyyyyyyyyy deeper than that.

So, do you play Chef?

Yes I've played drums for 40 years. But what does that have to do with it? You don't need to be a musician to have an ear for music. Much of the 80's new wave sound was created in the studio and that is why many of these bands didn't come off well live. To me that tells a lot in regard to the musicianship. Let me ask you other that 80's music what is in your collection?

Yes I've played drums for 40 years. But what does that have to do with it? You don't need to be a musician to have an ear for music. Much of the 80's new wave sound was created in the studio and that is why many of these bands didn't come off well live. To me that tells a lot in regard to the musicianship. Let me ask you other that 80's music what is in your collection?

Whew...you are an old guy too! I was afraid you might have been a twenty-something. I of course love classic rock, with the Beatles being at the top of the heap. I was fortunate enough to see two of them live. My MP3 player holds everything from Eubie Blake to Scott Joplin to Buddy Guy to Louis Armstrong to Leonard Cohen to Spike Jones to Gomez to Primus to Ernest Tubb to Patsy Cline to Christopher Cross to...too much classical to mention and on and on and on. I am all over the place! I have listened to every bass player from Ron Carter to Jaco and I will tell you this: Colin Moulding is the most melodic player I have ever heard....

Whew...you are an old guy too! I was afraid you might have been a twenty-something. I of course love classic rock, with the Beatles being at the top of the heap. I was fortunate enough to see two of them live. My MP3 player holds everything from Eubie Blake to Scott Joplin to Buddy Guy to Louis Armstrong to Leonard Cohen to Spike Jones to Gomez to Primus to Ernest Tubb to Patsy Cline to Christopher Cross to...too much classical to mention and on and on and on. I am all over the place! I have listened to every bass player from Ron Carter to Jaco and I will tell you this: Colin Moulding is the most melodic player I have ever heard....

So you have all the music in your iPod but your favorite band is XTC?? I'm !@#$ing confused. And then you throw in Christopher Cross?? I'm doubly confused.

You can't force a sound on someone. That new wave stuff that came out of England in the 80's is some really bad crap in my mind. Can't stand it. And if you need the tricks of the studio to create good music then you're not much of a musician in my mind.

In defense of XTC, the Beatles were primarily a studio band. Some bands are able to use the recording process in ways that treat the studio like an instrument. Psych and dub are both studio driven as well. A lot of times its like the difference between a play and a movie. A lot of musical experimentation does not always translate well to the stage.

In defense of XTC, the Beatles were primarily a studio band. Some bands are able to use the recording process in ways that treat the studio like an instrument. Psych and dub are both studio driven as well. A lot of times its like the difference between a play and a movie. A lot of musical experimentation does not always translate well to the stage.

I get what you're saying but I pretty much only listen to live music now. Something about getting it right the first time instead of several takes. Oh and BTW I would rather watch a live play over watching a movie any day of the week. Oh and also I never said I liked the Beatles. Just because I'm an old fart doesn't mean I automatically like the Beatles.

So you have all the music in your iPod but your favorite band is XTC?? I'm !@#$ing confused. And then you throw in Christopher Cross?? I'm doubly confused.

Yep! Heard it all friend! And when the smoke clears...it is XTC by a nose. The lyrics and the bass playing are all world but you have to hunker down and dive in with ears wide open and several listenings. Please don't base opinions on ****ty youtube clips, listen to the records man. I am a strange fried egg of a music historian and Christopher Cross is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to my bizzaro Ipod world.

Truth is, I have fed every "rock" style music album/artist into my computer brain and XTC popped out "the winner"...much to your chagrin I suppose. Does not make them Kings of the music world mind you, just the Kings of "thinking man's pop"...you know, entertainment for entertainment's sake...

The Beatles became a studio band because of all the teenage girls orgasming at their concerts. No one could hear them.

The Beatles became a studio band because of all the teenage girls orgasming at their concerts. No one could hear them.

They also could not duplicate the sounds they were interested in. they were looking to explore the boundaries of pop music and felt the live dates were both in the way and a nuisance. Which I get, playing in front of people can be a pain in the ass

Right on! Most creative bass lines on the planet as well. I am impressed that anyone remembers...bright fans on this board!

A band coming from a generation and style that "borrowed" Caribbean and African styles is the most creative on planet?