Why are we so eager to ignore history

It's been stated time and time again. NO coach in modern history has won a second super bowl ring with a different team. None, no one, nada yet we seem to be screaming for a named coach, preferably one already wearing a ring.

Shouldn't we all just take a step back and wait for the Bills to go through their process and select the best coach for the team. Wearing a ring is no guarantee of future success. Matching your leadership to your staff/personnel is.

Holmgren lost a Superbowl with a new team. I'd take a Superbowl loss.

Really?

You really want to be the first team to lose 5 super bowls?

You do bring up a good point though. Maybe the yardstick shouldn't be rings but SB appearances. Parcells and Holmgren have taken 2 different teams to the dance which is a MASSIVE accomplishment.

It's been stated time and time again. NO coach in modern history has won a second super bowl ring with a different team. None, no one, nada yet we seem to be screaming for a named coach, preferably one already wearing a ring.

Shouldn't we all just take a step back and wait for the Bills to go through their process and select the best coach for the team. Wearing a ring is no guarantee of future success. Matching your leadership to your staff/personnel is.

Its not about the "ring" as its about "history." Whats attractive about "name" coaches, as opposed to "prospects" like college guys or coordinators is that they have proven that if NOTHING else, they can create and run a sucessful football program.

This team has been so bad and lacking that for so long, thats what's paramount. For me, the ring is SO far down the road....I just want a guy brought in who has proven he can build a good program. Winning will come out of that.

After Tom Donahoe hired Greggggg Williams because Greggggg gave great "interview", it's been downhill ever since. Mularkey was an improvment, but he quit on Marv Levy. And then Marv tried to hire his own Mini-Me with DJ. You really can't blame us, after those three misses, for wanted a coach who has won it all, can you??

Wearing a ring is no guarantee of future success.

Indeed. Actually, based on the precedent, it's guaranteed you won't win the SB. I'd love to see the Bills get an up and comer that has fresh ideas, can manage a game and knows how to maximize his players efforts. I have no idea who falls into this category, lets hope Buddy Nix does.

I still feel players are 90% of the reason you win in the NFL. If Buddy Nix brings in the horses, and he doesn't have a dolt like Jauron on the sideline, the Bills will win.

Indeed. Actually, based on the precedent, it's guaranteed you won't win the SB. I'd love to see the Bills get an up and comer that has fresh ideas, can manage a game and knows how to maximize his players efforts. I have no idea who falls into this category, lets hope Buddy Nix does.

I still feel players are 90% of the reason you win in the NFL. If Buddy Nix brings in the horses, and he doesn't have a dolt like Jauron on the sideline, the Bills will win.

I too would prefer the up and comer approach. But I will say this, the one team over the years that consistently wins with the same tried and true approach, stout defense and run first, is the Steelers. So if anyone has a chance to win the big one with two different teams, it would be the guy that brings that proven approach to his new team.

Nobody ever won 4 Nascar Cup Championships in a row ever..............until Jimmy Johnson did last year

He quit FOX???

Oh, Jimmie Johnson.

We can all wish for everyone to quit wildly speculating about a new coach, but that ain't gonna happen.

It is hard to jump on the bandwagon of a guy who coached one team to a SB win, but most have had success with subsequent teams. Off the top of my head, Mike Ditka, Hank Stram and George Seifert are the failures with other teams.

Parcells, Shula, Holmgren, Vermeil, Lombardi and Jimmy Johnson all had reasonable success with other teams. Not sure how to classify Joe Gibbs, since he came back to the same team.

Can't say that a coach will NEVER win with two different teams. It just hasn't happened in 43 years so far.

If anyone asks, Dan Reeves, Holmgren and Shula lost with two different teams.

Holmgren lost a Superbowl with a new team. I'd take a Superbowl loss.

No you wouldn't. None of us would. One more SB loss would be ten times worse than not making the playoffs for 10 years.

Oh we say that now. We say we'd take a road wild card loss. But trust me, I've been a member of this board for a damn long time and I know that nothing short of a Super Bowl win will satisfy anyone. Now it's "we can't make the playoffs, dammit!" Then it will be "we can't win a playoff game, dammit!" And so on...

PTR

And my response is, so what?

How many coaches in NFL history haven't won a Super Bowl? A few hundred. Maybe Bill Cowher wouldn't lead the Bills to the Super Bowl, but there's hardly any guarantee that some first time head coach could do it, either. Far from it. As I've said before, 'history' is irrelevant. It absolutely does not matter what someone else did once upon a time. Its a different coach with a different team under different circumstances.

They need to hire the person that they feel is the best candidate for the job, whether that's Bill Cowher or some coordinator that they promote. That's all they can control.

And my response is, so what?

How many coaches in NFL history haven't won a Super Bowl? A few hundred. Maybe Bill Cowher wouldn't lead the Bills to the Super Bowl, but there's hardly any guarantee that some first time head coach could do it, either. Far from it. As I've said before, 'history' is irrelevant. It absolutely does not matter what someone else did once upon a time. Its a different coach with a different team under different circumstances.

They need to hire the person that they feel is the best candidate for the job, whether that's Bill Cowher or some coordinator that they promote. That's all they can control.

I'm with this guy.

I'd be less willing to ignore history if there was some logical correlation as to why this hasn't happened in the past other than just saying "this hasn't happened therefore it probably won't happen here." It's just anecdotal evidence.

Yep, the logic of this entire "Has won, can never do it again" argument is completely flawed and doesn't follow. Its a more reasonable argument to say I don't like Cowhers stupid face and his crying and kissing players.