Cowher the Cowher is Cowher for Cowher in Cowher's Cowher

bills_red

You would own the cities of Buffalo and Pittsburgh

Dude, I live down here in Western Pennsylvania, surrounded by Stiller fans. And nobody wants Cowher back here. The only way he could get into Heinz field is to buy a ticket. And if they showed him on the Jumbotron he'd likely be booed. Not only does he not own Pittsburgh, he isn't even welcome in it.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, I live down here in Western Pennsylvania, surrounded by Stiller fans. And nobody wants Cowher back here. The only way he could get into Heinz field is to buy a ticket. And if they showed him on the Jumbotron he'd likely be booed. Not only does he not own Pittsburgh, he isn't even welcome in it.

Because they think he did little or because he retired?

Because they think he did little or because he retired?

Because he was a chronic underachiever that held back many good Steelers teams. Some folks call him The Albatross and I think that's the best and most accurate assessment of his performance and abilities I've heard yet.

Most people I know are just laughing and waiting for him to come back into the NFL so the rest of the world can discover what the folks in Western Pennsyltucky have known for years. He's a below average coach that will never succeed w/o the best talent, the weakest schedule and the strongest front office. He'll have none of those things in Buffalo.

I am new,I know! But I do know if Cowher had no interest in Buffalo he would have come out and said! He will never go to Dallas with Jerry Jones as his boss.Sure! he was looking at Carolina,Chicago,Tampa and maybeCleveland,but with a possible lockout after next year and Ralph willing to throw alot of money at him how can he not take it.I think if you throw him the $$$$$$ and a little say in the situation its a done deal!!! Sometime next week Bill Cowher will be the next coach of the Buffalo Bills!

Because he was a chronic underachiever that held back many good Steelers teams. Some folks call him The Albatross and I think that's the best and most accurate assessment of his performance and abilities I've heard yet.

Most people I know are just laughing and waiting for him to come back into the NFL so the rest of the world can discover what the folks in Western Pennsyltucky have known for years. He's a below average coach that will never succeed w/o the best talent, the weakest schedule and the strongest front office. He'll have none of those things in Buffalo.

Simon, I definitely like your style a lot of the time, but I hesitate to let you off the hook on the idea that Neil O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart, and Tommy Maddox are part of the "best talent" the Steelers assembled. And Cowher had at least a hand in choosing a lot of that talent.

I think on one hand this might suggest he's had a bad history of choices when it comes to QBs. But the team had one big hit at the position during his tenure and that's all it needed to put them over the top.

I look at how far they got with the three above names and think of it as a bit of a miracle. If Cowher is a failure as you suggest, I'll take the failure of making the playoffs year-in, year-out. I have enough confidence in Nix's resume that the team could assemble talent like the Steelers had.

As for the division, I think we're about to see an opening as some of the Pats' premier guys start to face a little bad luck and the injury-filled downsides of their careers. Belicheck without Brady=Belicheck w/ the Browns or w/ Bledsoe. The Jets are paper tigers as far as I'm concerned though they do look a little better when they run and stop the run -- the things they do best. Ask Sanchez to do more and I think he looks very average. The Dolphins IMO are going to be the one legit team to contend with going forward, as Parcells can't be discounted and they run the ball extremely well. If I were Cowher, I'd say that this division looks more winnable than most people care to admit. The Bills pretty much proved it by getting every one of their divisional opponents in their sights and then letting them get away. A coach who gets his players to discipline themselves could build a division-winner in Buffalo.

I'm not a fan of Cowher, but to be fair, from what I know of Steeler fans, if they don't win the Super Bowl in a given year, the sky is falling. Talk about high expectations.

Then again, I'd much rather watch football with Steeler fans than Pats, Cowboys, or Redskin fans. At least they can name the other 31 clubs and know what division they're in.

I'm not a fan of Cowher, but to be fair, from what I know of Steeler fans, if they don't win the Super Bowl in a given year, the sky is falling. Talk about high expectations.

Then again, I'd much rather watch football with Steeler fans than Pats, Cowboys, or Redskin fans. At least they can name the other 31 clubs and know what division they're in.

I live an hour from Pittsburgh and have been to 6 games. Steelers fans are very savvy. They have a lot of football knowledge. Actually they remind me of Bills fans in the 90's. Very high expectations for sure.

And Cowher had at least a hand in choosing a lot of that talent.

I can tell you that Cowher had no say whatsoever in personell decisions for the Steelers.

I think on one hand this might suggest he's had a bad history of choices when it comes to QBs.

That was entirely a Donahoe issue. He had two Achilles heels in his tenure in his Pittsburgh; one was his ongoing struggle to successfully evaluate QB's, the other was his inability to get his money's worth out of his first round picks. When he came here and proceeded to combine the two into one giant Achilles heel by trading a 1st round draft pick for a bad QB, I knew we were doomed. :unsure:

I hesitate to let you off the hook on the idea that Neil O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart, and Tommy Maddox are part of the "best talent" the Steelers assembled.

I'm not referring to just one position when I mention the Steelers having the best talent in the NFL; I'm referring to the roster as a whole. Here are some of the players Cowher was fortunate enough to coach during his tenure:

Dermontti Dawson

Eric Green

Barry Foster

John Jackson

Levon Kirkland

Tunch Ilkin

Gregg Lloyd

Darren Perry

Hardy Nickerson

Leon Searcy

Merril Hoge

Joel Steed

Rod Woodson

Justin Strzelczyk

Carnell Lake

Kevin Greene

Brendan Stai

Yancey Thigpen

Jerome Bettis

Earl Holmes

Mike Vrabel

Will Wolford

Alan Faneca

Joey Porter

Aaron Smith

Hines Ward

Deshea Townsend

Plaxico Burress

Jeff Hartings

Casey Hampton

Danny Kreider

James Farrior

Kendrell Bell

Troy Polamalu

Heath Miller

Willie Parker

James Harrison

I mean holy frijole, look at that freaking list! No coach in the modern history of the NFL has ever had that many Hall of Fame and Pro Bowl players at his disposal!

And what did he do with all that incredible talent?

He won one championship in 15 years. And Dick LeBeau won it for him.

And you guys want to give an underachiever like that 10million dollars a year?

He will never ever have another roster that looks like that as long as he lives. And certainly not in Buffalo.

Nor will he have Dick LeBeau. Nor will he get the Browns and Bengals twice a year.

If he underachieves in Buffalo like he has for the rest of his career, the Bills will go 5-11 for 5 straight years before they can dump him and his ginormous contract, then will probably move to San Antonio because none of us will be able to take it any more.

For the love of God and the Buffalo Bills, just say no to Cowher!!!!!

Simon I'm sorry I am currently lost in the abyss.

I see what you think about Cowher and laugh because that is how I feel about Billick. But I have talked to Ravens fans that were here and they couldn't wait to get rid of Billick and his arrogance and ineptitude.

I have talked to Steeler fans and never got that reaction from them about Cowher. I have worked in Pittsburgh and understand what the Steelers mean to the general community there.

Me, I want no part of Billick and welcome a chance for Cowher who will only be a much better coach than he was in his first run. Like many other coaches. Bellicheat as an example, Marv (overated) as another. This rule may also apply to Billick in which case I will take him but maybe my rose colored glasses just dont let me see the light with Billick.

See ya

Me, I want no part of Billick and welcome a chance for Cowher who will only be a much better coach than he was in his first run.

With a waaayyyyyyy weaker front office, a worse coaching staff, a tougher schedule and faaarrrrrrr inferior players, how exactly is he going to magically become a better coach?

After reading that last post, I want Cowher as our coach more than ever.

Of course you do. We'd expect nothing less more.

I mean holy frijole, look at that freaking list! No coach in the modern history of the NFL has ever had that many Hall of Fame and Pro Bowl players at his disposal!

And what did he do with all that incredible talent?

He won one championship in 15 years. And Dick LeBeau won it for him.

And you guys want to give an underachiever like that 10million dollars a year?

He will never ever have another roster that looks like that as long as he lives. And certainly not in Buffalo.

Nor will he have Dick LeBeau. Nor will he get the Browns and Bengals twice a year.

If he underachieves in Buffalo like he has for the rest of his career, the Bills will go 5-11 for 5 straight years before they can dump him and his ginormous contract, then will probably move to San Antonio because none of us will be able to take it any more.

For the love of God and the Buffalo Bills, just say no to Cowher!!!!!

Putting aside the notion that Cowher had no hand whatsoever in selecting his personnel (which I find hard to believe)...

That looks a lot like the list Marv Levy was blessed with, sans the position of QB, which is arguably the most important one on the field. It looks a lot like the list for Holmgren's Packers. Great teams have great players. What's the point of the conversation otherwise? If this team can't get some great players, it won't win. No one here is disputing that. At the same time, you've got to admit the talent in the league seems to have watered down a bit since the 80s-90s and as Buddy says, no team is that far away.

Marv has no championships in 12 seasons with our Bills, and he's beloved here. Marty Schottenheimer has won zero titles. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Also, not all of those guys on your list were in the primes of their careers during Cowher's tenure, either. Great players, and no doubt Cowher benefitted from a well-run organization, but he did ulitmately get his team a title.

Look, do I think Cowher is one of the great ones? Not in the least. Do I think he's a coach who could get this team to the playoffs with the right personnel? I do. And his track record has proven that he can. If he was a beneficiary of Lebeau, all the better -- maybe he'll bring (the right) Dick back here. In the meantime, the perfect shouldn't be the enemy of the good, so to speak. Perfect ain't coming here. And the Bills are going to have to pay for good. I know you disagree, and I respect the perspective, but I think it's worth the risk and it will most definitely give the fans here some hope that they haven't had in years.

Putting aside the notion that Cowher had no hand whatsoever in selecting his personnel (which I find hard to believe)...

That looks a lot like the list Marv Levy was blessed with, sans the position of QB, which is arguably the most important one on the field. It looks a lot like the list for Holmgren's Packers. Great teams have great players. What's the point of the conversation otherwise? If this team can't get some great players, it won't win. No one here is disputing that. At the same time, you've got to admit the talent in the league seems to have watered down a bit since the 80s-90s and as Buddy says, no team is that far away.

Marv has no championships in 12 seasons with our Bills, and he's beloved here. Marty Schottenheimer has won zero titles. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Also, not all of those guys on your list were in the primes of their careers during Cowher's tenure, either. Great players, and no doubt Cowher benefitted from a well-run organization, but he did ulitmately get his team a title.

Look, do I think Cowher is one of the great ones? Not in the least. Do I think he's a coach who could get this team to the playoffs with the right personnel? I do. And his track record has proven that he can. If he was a beneficiary of Lebeau, all the better -- maybe he'll bring (the right) Dick back here. In the meantime, the perfect shouldn't be the enemy of the good, so to speak. Perfect ain't coming here. And the Bills are going to have to pay for good. I know you disagree, and I respect the perspective, but I think it's worth the risk and it will most definitely give the fans here some hope that they haven't had in years.

Great Post...

I respect the heck out of Simon around here...But I can't sign onto the anti-Chin campaign...I just can't imagine Cowher being bad for Buffalo...And I certainly can't imagine him being worse than what we've seen over the last 10 years...Sure The Bills better get some good Players...They better get a LOT of good Players in order to compete. That's with any Coach...I think Cowher can Coach em' up just fine...He came into Buffalo a few years back and beat The Bills with 2nd and 3rd stringers in a Game The Bills HAD to have...That impressed the hell out of Me...Cowher can Coach...Is he the best ever? Nope, not by a longshot...But is he better than we can hope for as Bills Fans?...I think so...Just My opinion though... :unsure:

fwiw, it is true

That looks a lot like the list Marv Levy was blessed with

I just counted and there's 37 guys on that list; and I probably missed a few. If you made a list of HOF/ProBowl players that Marv had it would probably be less than half of that. And he had arguably more success than Cowher. Anybody want to give him 10 million dollars a year?

If he was a beneficiary of Lebeau, all the better -- maybe he'll bring (the right) Dick back here.

LeBeau does not have any warm fuzzies for Cowher and will not be going anywhere with him. The only reason he returned to Pittsburgh was a a personal plea from Dan Rooney and because he loved a lot of the players that were still there.

In the meantime, the perfect shouldn't be the enemy of the good, so to speak. Perfect ain't coming here.

I understand what you're saying and actually agree with it. I think ignoring that truism is what caused the Bills to prematurely jettison Wade Phillips, Mike Mullarkey and Tom Donahoe and put us where we are now.

But at a time when we're in a 10 year drought and the franchise's stability is potentially in serious jeopardy, are you really willing to give a guy with that many questions a massive contract that we can't possibly get out of? A move like that could be the death knell of the Bills in Buffalo. Are you so confident in the guy that you're willing to risk that for him? Not me, brother.