What is so bad about Buffalo?

No matter where I go, it is always home. I always hate the complaints about winter. Unless you want to live without any seasons. fires,earthquakes, mud slides, there is winter everywhere. yeah we might have it for a little longer, but I'll take snow over cold rain anyday. Western New York is a great area of the country. :thumbsup:

Let's see what's so great about living in the south? Rednecks? Fire ants and termites? Poisonous snakes? Gators eating your pets? Hurricanes?

PTR

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see what's so great about living in the south? Rednecks? Fire ants and termites? Poisonous snakes? Gators eating your pets? Hurricanes?

PTR

It's warm for a much greater part of the year. Hardly any snow to speak of. Simple as that, it IS much more attractive, whether we admit it or not.

PTR

you might want to visit somewhere like asheville, nc or charlottesville, va or chattanooga, tn or raleigh or...your perception might change and you'd see four seasons, a generally mild winter and rare run ins with the things mentioned. btw, I recall meeting a few rednecks in wny.

Sad but true. Though it's no worse than dozens of other cities.

It kind of depends what you are looking for. To say there is nothing to do in Buffalo is ridiculous. If you like winter sports, hunting, fishing, boating, partying in bars and friendly local taverns, gambling, going to strip clubs or eating great pub grub, Buffalo is a paradise.

If you want to hang out with movie stars on a beachfront avenue lined with palm trees, drinking Cristal, shopping for Rolex watches, getting the VIP treatment at velvet rope night clubs, then Buffalo is the wrong town to be in.

PTR

You hit the nail right on the head.

This isn't about bashing Buffalo. It is about millionaires wanting to be in areas that are more enticing to someone with big bucks.

you might want to visit somewhere like asheville, nc or charlottesville, va or chattanooga, tn or raleigh or...your perception might change and you'd see four seasons, a generally mild winter and rare run ins with the things mentioned. btw, I recall meeting a few rednecks in wny.

I've been to Asheville 3 times, most recently in November. I love that town, what a cool and unique place. I could live there.

And yes, while the people of WNY are great, rednecks are not in short supply.

Nothing wrong with Buffalo at all, IF you have a good job. Taxes are high. It snows in the winter. Just like most places in the northeast. Why would Bill Cowher need nightlife? Whole bunch of pro athletes who came here have stayed or have came back to live. Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas and Ruben Brown to name a few. Start naming hockey guys and the list is very long. Sure they all live in the suburbs but most people do around here. $10 million a year to coach the Bills, live in a huge house in Orchard Park, drive a big SUV in the winter. The only real Chicken Wings in the world. There should be guys killing each other to come here. Plus, if you are a head coach in the NFL, you are working 18 hours a day anyway. Why does there need to be anything to do? Really, what is there to actually do anywhere other than a handful of places and that is all tourist type stuff anyway??? That has always been such a stupid point to me. He can go live wherever the heck he wants in the offseason on $10 mil. per. How much can Ralph actually do at 91? I think the only thing holding any big name back is the fear of failure. Whichever big name steps up, (Cowher, Schottenheimer, Billick) they can cement their big name reputation and earn a spot in the HOF by coming here and making the Bills a winner again. If not, they get about $30 million after taxes for 5 years of standing on the sideline, watching film and eating wings.

Nothing wrong with Buffalo at all, IF you have a good job. Taxes are high. It snows in the winter. Just like most places in the northeast. Why would Bill Cowher need nightlife? Whole bunch of pro athletes who came here have stayed or have came back to live. Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas and Ruben Brown to name a few. Start naming hockey guys and the list is very long. Sure they all live in the suburbs but most people do around here. $10 million a year to coach the Bills, live in a huge house in Orchard Park, drive a big SUV in the winter. The only real Chicken Wings in the world. There should be guys killing each other to come here. Plus, if you are a head coach in the NFL, you are working 18 hours a day anyway. Why does there need to be anything to do? Really, what is there to actually do anywhere other than a handful of places and that is all tourist type stuff anyway??? That has always been such a stupid point to me. He can go live wherever the heck he wants in the offseason on $10 mil. per. How much can Ralph actually do at 91? I think the only thing holding any big name back is the fear of failure. Whichever big name steps up, (Cowher, Schottenheimer, Billick) they can cement their big name reputation and earn a spot in the HOF by coming here and making the Bills a winner again. If not, they get about $30 million after taxes for 5 years of standing on the sideline, watching film and eating wings.

Agree, and considering the heartbreak this franchise has endured any coach that brings the Super Bowl championship to Buffalo would achieve immortality, be revered as close to God as a man can get. Sure you can go coach Carolina or Dallas, or wherever, win it there. Who will care? But win it for the Bills and you'll be remembered forever in Buffalo, and in football folklore, as the guy that brought success to this suffering but proud city and franchise. What other head coach opening can offer that?

My guess would be Ralph and his age.

Kind of hard to ignore the guys age, and not to think of the ramifications if he dies in the middle of your contract.

imo age of owner has nothing to do with a coach wanting to come here.

all owners are going to want the same thing. win the damn superbowl or get fired.

right on the money!

Take a drive down Niagara St in Riverside.

Kinda scenic compared to Military Rd, Abbott Rd, S. Park, Grider, Humboldt, Genessee, but hey we have a world renown art museum, a great med school, the philharmonic, & the falls. OOOOO SH&$ cant forget all those beautiful grain mills downtown & the sexiness up Fuhrman & Rt 5 (but the windmills are the eyesore). God if the politicians of the last 50 yrs havnt ruined this town.

Didn't Cowher turn down the Jets and Redskins last year? He also walked away from Pittsburgh. These writers don't know anything. Do we even know for sure Cowher even wants to coach? And if he does, he may just want the perfect situation, like staying close to his home.

Also, i could understand if he was a 22 yo just drafted into the pros. Buffalo and Green Bay probably aren't your first choice if you wanna go club hopping and find gold diggers. But he is a 50 yo man with a family. For him, it probably doesn't come any better than Buffalo. Anyways, all this is pure speculation at this point anyways.

Probably the beat-ass chicks.

This is kinda funny. But I have noticed that the guys who whine about the females somewhere are the ones who struck out a lot and/or couldn't pull the hot ones. There are plenty of good looking chicks in Buffalo if you actually have game.

Is Daniel Snyder that much better to work for than Ralph???

The major 2 pluses for Danny boy is that the Redskins are the richest team in sports and he will spend whatever you want. Of course, he is an idiot and spending the most doesn't work in football. but in theory, it probably sounds good as a coach.

This is kinda funny. But I have noticed that the guys who whine about the females somewhere are the ones who struck out a lot and/or couldn't pull the hot ones. There are plenty of good looking chicks in Buffalo if you actually have game.

Haha, oh, calm down, crank. I was busting on a lame perception. What the hell do I care, I'm married -- my strike-out days are over.

imo age of owner has nothing to do with a coach wanting to come here.

all owners are going to want the same thing. win the damn superbowl or get fired.

Try putting a little more thought into it.

Here's one thought to start: franchise instability.

I always respect you opinion. But man, for the life of me I don't get that.

Cool and thanks. I just met that Buffalo, IMO, is a great place for a family. It is super cheap (not that's a problem for Cowher but still), family friendly neighborhoods, great restaurants, culture (plays and art), and everything is close. For a 50 year old who is not about going nuts on the town, the weather would be the only major drawback to Buffalo. And it isn't really that bad and you don't have to worry about any major weather disasters.

For a 22 yo, Buffalo can't compare to the big cities. But what can a bigger city really offer a supposed family like cowher that Buffalo can't?