Now WGR Just Said Billick Is Assembling Staff

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about his offensive background is impressive. He had one of the worst offenses in the league during his entire tenure in Baltimore anmd he was only touted an offensive genious after he met Mr. Moss.

Just that he's been an offensive coordinator in the league. Re read what I wrote, I didn't say it was impressive.

Believe them all. If I was the one going into a job interview then I would want to be able to speak about my philosophy and staff in concrete terms and with as much confidence as possible.

Remember that little munchkins lists of coordinators right down to ball boys. He didn't work out so well.

It's hard to get super excited about an offensive guru who had some of the worst offenses in the NFL and thought Kyle Boller was gonna be a franchise QB. He gives great press conferences but unless he's bringing Ozzie Newsome with him, Id be less than thrilled. We could do worse though.

It's hard to get super excited about an offensive guru who had some of the worst offenses in the NFL and thought Kyle Boller was gonna be a franchise QB. He gives great press conferences but unless he's bringing Ozzie Newsome with him, Id be less than thrilled. We could do worse though.

I don't have strong opinions either way, but at least be accurate in your posts. If you look at his record as OC for Minnesota for a half dozen years in the 1990s, they were virtually always a top-tier offense. A lot of it comes down to the players you have, and the QB you have. I know, hard to believe.

I think his coaching W-L record is nothing to write home about.

1999 8-8

2000 12-4

2001 10-6

2002 7-9

2003 10-6

2004 9-7

2005 6-10

2006 13-3

2007 5-11

Over all: 80-64 .556

Yes...his coaching record is better than Dick Jauron's - but who's isn't?

I would rather take my chances on a guy that has not coached - and roll my dice that we have the next best "new guy!

I'm no Billick fan, but the guy had only three losing seasons out of nine -- with no quarterbacks! After the past decade of being a Bills' fan...I would take it.

Agreed! If he brings Ozzie and Marvin Lewis as his DC im down. Otherwise this guy would be a terrible hire. His offenses were just awful. Cant understand how people could get excited about this clown.

What's wrong with Brian Billick besides the fact that he's not Bill Cowher?

With Tony Dungy staying retired, Jon Gruden staying in the booth, Mike Holmgren becoming Cleveland's GM, Mike Shanahan giving us the finger and most likely going to Washington, and now reports that Cowher's going back to the booth; I think Billick may very well be our best option.

The man does have a Super Bowl ring after all.

So Does Rob Johnson. That doesn't mean that he had anything to do with it. That Defense was unstoppable.

I don't have strong opinions either way, but at least be accurate in your posts. If you look at his record as OC for Minnesota for a half dozen years in the 1990s, they were virtually always a top-tier offense. A lot of it comes down to the players you have, and the QB you have. I know, hard to believe.

And LeBeau was a great defensive coordinator and was a terrible head coach. What does his offenses being good in the 90s have to do with him as a head coach and failing to build a good group? He let go off a Super Bowl winning QB and couldn't find a legit Franchise QB. He hand selected Boller, who is a Losman clone.

So I put way more stock in what he did in Baltimore than Minny because it is current and he had full control. Given that we need a QB in the worst way, a guy who failed at finding one and got his reputation by coatriding HOF talent, considers me greatly.

Billick is like a high maintenance girlfriend who needs to have constant reaffirmation about how good looking she is. It's like he seemed easily distracted by the limelight of being an NFL head coach, and not nearly as interested in the blood sweat and tears part of the job. I do not have good vibes on Brian Billick.

Geez, what's the harm of giving Jim Harbaugh a freaking chance? I do not want to have to try to convince myself that Billick's a good hire, just like I did with Jauron four years ago.

And LeBeau was a great defensive coordinator and was a terrible head coach. What does his offenses being good in the 90s have to do with him as a head coach and failing to build a good group? He let go off a Super Bowl winning QB and couldn't find a legit Franchise QB. He hand selected Boller, who is a Losman clone.

So I put way more stock in what he did in Baltimore than Minny because it is current and he had full control. Given that we need a QB in the worst way, a guy who failed at finding one and got his reputation by coatriding HOF talent, considers me greatly.

You really think he had control over personnel in Baltimore? That's an organization where the "football men" - Newsome, Savage - ran the show. I'm not saying he didn't covet Boller, but I do think that it's hardly and open and shut argument. For all we know, it was Newsome's pick, not his. In any event, that was a team lacking in offensive talent.

Billick is like a high maintenance girlfriend who needs to have constant reaffirmation about how good looking she is. It's like he seemed easily distracted by the limelight of being an NFL head coach, and not nearly as interested in the blood sweat and tears part of the job. I do not have good vibes on Brian Billick.

Geez, what's the harm of giving Jim Harbaugh a freaking chance? I do not want to have to try to convince myself that Billick's a good hire, just like I did with Jauron four years ago.

I disagree with you a lot but I'm completely on board. i was never thrilled with the Jauron hire but I worked to talk myself into it. I hate whining and just tried to hope for the best. But after these four years, I never want to do that again. We could do a million times worse but there is a lot of writing on the wall that Billick rode Newsome's coattails to the Super Bowl. It's similar to Cowher (thoguh he is a much better coach than BB). If you have a strong front office in place, the coach can be interchangable.

I won't absolutely hate Billick but I think there is better out there. I also would like Harbaugh because he's a young guy with a ton of energy. He also has done great work with QBs (granted it's college). But a good GM, IMO, should be able to find the next great coach. And they don't always have to come from the scrapheap (agin not that Billick is that bad).

And I always prefer a good looking girl who has low self esteem and doesn't know how hot she is. :) Perhaps Harbaugh doesn't know how great he is and we can get him before everyone else knows it.

Ozzie must have thought Boller would be good too since he's the GM that drafted him. Billick is a good coach. There's people on here saying Cowher took too long to win a SB like it's a given teams/coaches will even get to a SB. Billick has won more games than he's lost. Has coached teams into the playoffs and has coached a team to a SB win. He's good enough for what the Bills need. Unless you would prefer Jauron come back or some other coach with a losing pedigree.

You really think he had control over personnel in Baltimore? That's an organization where the "football men" - Newsome, Savage - ran the show. I'm not saying he didn't covet Boller, but I do think that it's hardly and open and shut argument. For all we know, it was Newsome's pick, not his. In any event, that was a team lacking in offensive talent.

You really don't think the offensive guru they brought into Baltimore won't have the most say on Boller? Billick is an ego manic and would have had a cow if he didn't get a huge say in picking Boller. Obviously, one pick doesn't make a career but with a franchise in dire need of a QB, it is troublesome.

I disagree with you a lot but I'm completely on board. i was never thrilled with the Jauron hire but I worked to talk myself into it. I hate whining and just tried to hope for the best. But after these four years, I never want to do that again. We could do a million times worse but there is a lot of writing on the wall that Billick rode Newsome's coattails to the Super Bowl. It's similar to Cowher (thoguh he is a much better coach than BB). If you have a strong front office in place, the coach can be interchangable.

I won't absolutely hate Billick but I think there is better out there. I also would like Harbaugh because he's a young guy with a ton of energy. He also has done great work with QBs (granted it's college). But a good GM, IMO, should be able to find the next great coach. And they don't always have to come from the scrapheap (agin not that Billick is that bad).

And I always prefer a good looking girl who has low self esteem and doesn't know how hot she is. :) Perhaps Harbaugh doesn't know how great he is and we can get him before everyone else knows it.

I now know for certain it's a new era since I agree with pretty much everything you said. :lol:

If it is Billick I will just have to suck it up knowing that he's a much better coach than Jauron. If they do bring in Harbaugh for an interview then I'll be almost just as psyched as I am about the Cowher rumors.