The Dallas Cowboys and Wade Phillips.

Steely Dan

Wade Phillips is the best HC the Bills have had since Marv Levy. I like the guy a lot because he comes across as a genuine guy. I like the answer he gave about TO when he came to the Cowboys. I don't remember his words but the gist of it was that he didn't control players he worked with players. I thought that was a very wise response. If someone like him moved in next door to you then you'd have a very good neighbor.

I hate JJ and the whole America's team BS I want to see Wade win and the Cowboys lose. Obviously a very difficult outcome to achieve. So I hope they go to the Championship game and lose a very close game to N.O..

Does anyone else here have some fondness for Wade?

If it's a Cowboys/NE* SB then I'll have to root for the Cowboys but won't mind it as much as I would normally.

I was raised to hate the Cowboys, Raiders, and the Dolphins (no love lost for the Patriots these days). I want the Cowboys to lose, but want Wade to be successful at a HC. I have found myself rooting for Dallas this year just to see Wade win a playoff game. I will not shed any tears if the Cowboys lose at any time during the playoffs however.

I want Dallas to at least go to the NFC championship game so that JJ doesn't go on a rampage and fire Wade. If the Cowboys are bidding for a high-profile coach, you can say goodbye to our chances at whatever one they want.

Wade Phillips is the best HC the Bills have had since Marv Levy. I like the guy a lot because he comes across as a genuine guy. I like the answer he gave about TO when he came to the Cowboys. I don't remember his words but the gist of it was that he didn't control players he worked with players. I thought that was a very wise response. If someone like him moved in next door to you then you'd have a very good neighbor.

I hate JJ and the whole America's team BS I want to see Wade win and the Cowboys lose. Obviously a very difficult outcome to achieve. So I hope they go to the Championship game and lose a very close game to N.O..

Does anyone else here have some fondness for Wade?

If it's a Cowboys/NE* SB then I'll have to root for the Cowboys but won't mind it as much as I would normally.

As a fellow fan of Wade and hater of the Cowboys, there's a very simple solution. Root like hell for him now, and once he's fired -- as he inevitably will be (his dad famously said, "There's two types of coaches: those that have been fired and those that'll be fired) -- go back to a lifetime pursuit of hating the Cowboys. It's pretty simple--Wade's tenure is a drop in the ocean, ultimately.

I always thought that Wade got a screwed when he was fired, and the Bills have been collecting bad kharma every since. Too bad that I hate the Cowboys . . .

Ya, Wade was a good guy and still is. I can't believe the biggest criticism Bills fans had of him (other than his special teams coach, Ronnie Jones) was that he didn't wear a headset. Remember that?

Now, that seems so trivial, doesn't it?

Don't like Wade as a head coach - never have, no matter where he's been. But he's unquestionably a "nice guy", and one of the best defensive coordinators in the business, ever. I don't mind seeing him fail as a head coach, because that's just the natural order of the universe, but the man deserves mad props as a defensive mind.

Don't like Wade as a head coach - never have, no matter where he's been. But he's unquestionably a "nice guy", and one of the best defensive coordinators in the business, ever. I don't mind seeing him fail as a head coach, because that's just the natural order of the universe, but the man deserves mad props as a defensive mind.

Kind of like Jauron, except Jauron was nothing special as a defensive mind.

I feel the same way. I hate the Cowboys, but I really like Wade. He is a very good coach, and I wish we never got rid of him.

Someone mentioned that he would be a good neighbor. When he was in Buffalo, he was a neighbor of some good friends in East Amherst. Our friends said that he and his wife were great neighbors. By coincidence, Scotty Bowman lived on the same street. Scotty also was a good neighbor and invited all the neighborhood kids over when he won the Stanley Cup.

I like Wade Phillips and think he's an underrated head coach. Having said that I despise the Cowboys and want them to lose in the playoffs.

I think no matter what happens, even if the Cowboys win the Super Bowl, Wade will be fired. It seems like a move that JJ would do to get someone like Shanahan to be the head coach.

After all do any of you honestly see Wade Phillips being the Cowboys head coach for the next 5-10 years?

Ya, Wade was a good guy and still is. I can't believe the biggest criticism Bills fans had of him (other than his special teams coach, Ronnie Jones) was that he didn't wear a headset. Remember that?

I know. Looking back on it, the Wade era was OK. His problem is that it happened right after the SB years where spoiled Bills fan like me, who were born in the late 70s expected playoffs and superbowls all the time. Boy has this decade changed that. What I would not do for a playoff game now.

I always found that headset controversy to be extremely silly. The Ronnie Jones criticism was dead serious.

I like Wade Phillips and think he's an underrated head coach. Having said that I despise the Cowboys and want them to lose in the playoffs.

I think no matter what happens, even if the Cowboys win the Super Bowl, Wade will be fired. It seems like a move that JJ would do to get someone like Shanahan to be the head coach.

After all do any of you honestly see Wade Phillips being the Cowboys head coach for the next 5-10 years?

Really? Underrated?

I've said this 100 times, but everywhere Wade has been, he's had success only because of the coach he succeeded (Reeves, Levy, Parcells). He was a failure for his two seasons running Denver, Doug Flutie is the only reason he was successful in Buffalo, and he has yet to put his stamp on the Cowboys. If they make a run to the NFC Championship, then I might reconsider. For now, he's nothing more to me than an excellent DC and underachieving HC.

Really? Underrated?

I've said this 100 times, but everywhere Wade has been, he's had success only because of the coach he succeeded (Reeves, Levy, Parcells). He was a failure for his two seasons running Denver, Doug Flutie is the only reason he was successful in Buffalo, and he has yet to put his stamp on the Cowboys. If they make a run to the NFC Championship, then I might reconsider. For now, he's nothing more to me than an excellent DC and underachieving HC.

The "replacing a good coach makes your life easier" theory hasn't worked out for most guys unless there's a HOF QB in place (Seifert/Switzer). I mean he had that in Denver but he was given what 2 years there?

Besides, people nationally talk about the guy like he's a bottom 5-10 coach, so if he's even average then yah he's underrated.