Cowher has contacted several possible assistant coaches

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No way he comes here. He is going to have to convince the family. He is using Buffalo to press Carolina. I bet he stays out another year if Fox sticks around. Unless Sal is right about Buffalo being a stable franchise, and the big announcement happens, he is in Carolina or the booth next year

But wouldn't it be something.....if he did produce a winner he would be a god (lower case g) in Buffalo.

If we didn't hear anything about Fox coming back next year, then I could buy this. Maybe there would be a behind-the-back deal that would convince Cowher to wait a year, but I don't see him doing that. He's the type of guy who respects the other coaches too much to do something like that.

I also don't think his family is the issue. He has daughters who are in or out of college, though I don't know what ties his wife has to Carolina. Cowher grew up outside of Pittsburgh, so that part of his family is close enough.

To me, the money offered and the potential stability of the franchise are the only key points.

i feel this is the only move that would make us legit outside of buffalo. if we got cowher we go from laughing stock to a place where people might actually want to play and a place where there is potential. im not saying a different coach besides cowher couldnt do this but he is the only one that could bring us credibility immediatly

Well...Cowher was pretty complimentary of the bills at halftime...even though we're playing a 5th string colts. Wonder what that means???????

Ah! someone else noticed! i thought Cowher had this very odd complimentary demeanor when talking about the Bills but didn't want to read too much into it

Or when Jim Kelly signed.

The difference is that before he arrived Kelly had shown he was a player, while both Bledsoe and Cowher have only shown that their reputations with unknowledgeable fans far exceed their actual abilities.

The difference is that before he arrived Kelly had shown he was a player, while both Bledsoe and Cowher have only shown that their reputations with unknowledgeable fans far exceed their actual abilities.

I don't know...name one QB for us who outperformed him this decade. We almost made the playoffs with him, can't say that about any other QB this decade.

I agree with you with regard to Cowher being overrated. But he does hire good coaches and he now has that SB win, which buys credibility in the lockerroom. Being able to get players to blindly buy into the program is a great trait to have. I always felt Parcells was overrated as an actual HC, but he was able to turn around some putrid organizations because players felt that they were automatically better just because he was their HC.

Per NFL.com

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/02/cowher-has...istant-coaches/

Looks like he's getting ready to come back to coaching, hopefully it's Buffalo!! :thumbsup:

I like the possibility of a NIX - Cowher relationship. They both have similar approaches to winning in a place like Buffalo. You need big nasty smash mouth, kick butt type players. GRUNTS... like Cowher had in Pittsburgh. No mammby pammbies.. That Nix is on record acknowledging the same, it stands to reason the two of them would get along GREAT.

Cowher would be a great fit for the BILLS if he has a GM willing to get him the type of player that he likes to coach. Nix is just that type of GM.

Comeon...Buddy Make it happen.

If we didn't hear anything about Fox coming back next year, then I could buy this. Maybe there would be a behind-the-back deal that would convince Cowher to wait a year, but I don't see him doing that. He's the type of guy who respects the other coaches too much to do something like that.

I also don't think his family is the issue. He has daughters who are in or out of college, though I don't know what ties his wife has to Carolina. Cowher grew up outside of Pittsburgh, so that part of his family is close enough.

To me, the money offered and the potential stability of the franchise are the only key points.

Cowher grew up in Crafton which is part of Pittsburgh.

His wife's family is based in Carolina.l He met her at NC state where he went to college.

I believe his girls are done with College at the end of this school year.

The houston situation is the most interesting because Cowher would get a "Ready to Win Now" team like how Tomlin got a team built by Cowher.

His wife's family is based in Carolina.l He met her at NC state where he went to college.

The houston situation is the most interesting because Cowher would get a "Ready to Win Now" team like how Tomlin got a team built by Cowher.

Houston winning today probably assured Kubiak will be back.

i feel this is the only move that would make us legit outside of buffalo. if we got cowher we go from laughing stock to a place where people might actually want to play and a place where there is potential. im not saying a different coach besides cowher couldnt do this but he is the only one that could bring us credibility immediatly

I don't know if "legit" outside of Buffalo really matters from a fan's standpoint. It might from a player's standpoint.

Houston winning today probably assured Kubiak will be back.

But if Baltimore and NYJets win today, Houston will miss the playoffs once again....And that will be the 4th season with Kubiak without the playoffs for a very talented team....Kubiak could still be fired, especially if a Bill Cowher is willing to take over.

Tampa's owner met with their HC and told him they he and the rest of the staff will be back next year.

As of right now, Buffalo is the only opening for Cowher. I am thinking that it could happen. I don't want to get my hopes up, but some positive signs are happening:

1.) All other valid options seem to have dried up or not materialized (Carolina, Washington, Chicago, Tampa)

2.) Cowher and Bills have met twice

3.) Cowher contacting potential staff members this week (after second meeting with Bills, coincidence?)

4.) Bills named Nix GM. Clearly, Nix is top a top flight GM. This would leave plenty of power on player decisions and such for Cowher.

As a lifelong Bills fan, I have become accustomed to setting myself up for disappointment. But, I cannot help it. I really think there is a good change Cowher could be the Bills next HC.

I really hope it happens.

Dallas is out as well as Wade Phillips will probably return

Cable could get the boot as well, but Cowher would never work for Al Davis

Would he work for Jerry Jones though, if Phillips didn't return. Would he be able to deal with Jones active involvement in personnel decisions.

Buffalo could be a good landing spot, if he gets an equity stake upon the auction of the team after Ralph's death.

Carolina Owner said Fox and coaches can come back next year but he is not offering an extension(contract runs out at end of next year)

Carolina Owner said Fox and coaches can come back next year but he is not offering an extension(contract runs out at end of next year)

He's not offering Fox an extension because there is a possibility of no football in 2011, and doesn't want to have to pay a HC salary.