Cowher has contacted several possible assistant coaches

I agree with you with regard to Cowher being overrated. But he does hire good coaches and he now has that SB win, which buys credibility in the lockerroom. Being able to get players to blindly buy into the program is a great trait to have. I always felt Parcells was overrated as an actual HC, but he was able to turn around some putrid organizations because players felt that they were automatically better just because he was their HC.

I have to sound off here. You really think Parcells was over-rated? I hate how he beat us in SB XXV and also handed our @$$es to us a few times when he was with the Pats, but I have a tremendous amount of respect for Parcells, and how he was able to motivate teams and put winning programs together. Strong defense, run the ball, cut anyone with fumble-itis, remembered that a tight end can do more just than be a strong-side blocker. The man was a winner and ran a tight ship. If he was still interested in coaching I'd love to see him in Buffalo. But the most important reason that the man is a legend: "Parcells was the first coach to be dunked with Gatorade at the end of the game and at the end of a Super Bowl which led to a Super Bowl Gatorade dunking tradition." :thumbsup:

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Parcells

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem that Buffalo has is that players for the most part could care less if they get cut and thus a chance to play elsewhere. And while a guy like Jauron was liked by the players and probably was somewhat respected by them, he didn't have their full respect. A guy like Cowher brings respect and credibility, regardless of whether one thinks he's overrated or not.

Ah! someone else noticed! i thought Cowher had this very odd complimentary demeanor when talking about the Bills but didn't want to read too much into it

He did say his hands were itching to have his hands on the Bills when commenting on the Monday Night show against NEP*, then again we never looked that good again the entire season.

Edit: anyway the only real question of importance is; has Ralph Wilson heard of Cowher...

Errrr, I don't know. Is assistant HC same as being HC?

Hardly. Most guys with AHC get it because the team wants to prevent them from moving to another team. An assistant GM OTOH actually does a lot of GM duties. And if you listen to Chargers fans, Nix was more of a GM, or maybe more precisely could be credited with rebuilding the Chargers, than Smith.

Hardly. Most guys with AHC get it because the team wants to prevent them from moving to another team. An assistant GM OTOH actually does a lot of GM duties. And if you listen to Chargers fans, Nix was more of a GM, or maybe more precisely could be credited with rebuilding the Chargers, than Smith.

I haven't heard that from one person with any kind of credibility whatsoever. None. Not Gil Brandt, not John Clayton, not Adam Shefter, not Schopp's contact in SD, and not anyone in fact. All of the guys I stated above, I personally heard discuss Buddy Nix. They all did love him, and said he's a great guy. All of them also said AJ Smith is deeply involved in personnel and the building of the SD team. Everyone seems to like what Nix stands for on the football front. But I've heard NOT ONE expert say Nix was even remotely more responsible for building the Chargers. Not one.

They all did, though, think it was a good hire for the Bills.

I haven't heard that from one person with any kind of credibility whatsoever. None. Not Gil Brandt, not John Clayton, not Adam Shefter, not Schopp's contact in SD, and not anyone in fact. All of the guys I stated above, I personally heard discuss Buddy Nix. They all did love him, and said he's a great guy. All of them also said AJ Smith is deeply involved in personnel and the building of the SD team. Everyone seems to like what Nix stands for on the football front. But I've heard NOT ONE expert say Nix was even remotely more responsible for building the Chargers. Not one.

Do a search on "Buddy Nix Chargers" and read some of the articles at the time he left the team.

They should. Although time will tell.

Someone mentioned this in the other Cowher thread...

The fact that he's reached out to potential assistants would lead you to believe that he knows where he's going...or that he has it narrowed down to a few places. Add in the fact that the CBS studio guys were chuckling at him while he was doing the Buffalo highlights (like they knew something we didn't), you can suppose that Buffalo is a possibility.

But as I always say, don't celebrate until it's official. Cautious optimism, people...cautious optimism.

I saw that, too. :doh:

Who would you prefer to Cowher?

There's 6billion+ people on planet Earth. I honestly believe that every single one of them would be a better hire than Cowher, who could potentially be the camel-busting straw that moves the Bills out of Buffalo.

I don't know...name one QB for us who outperformed him this decade. We almost made the playoffs with him, can't say that about any other QB this decade.

The biggest turd in the outhouse is still a turd.

I agree with you with regard to Cowher being overrated. But he does hire good coaches

Actually it is Dan Rooney and his boy Art II who are responsible for that.

Cowher had virtually NO power in Pittsburgh; he was allowed to dismiss staff if/when necessary (yes he is the genius than ran Bobby April out, who would certainly be gone if Cowher came here) but his opinions on personell, staff, the draft, etc counted for virtually nothing.

I know. Just responding to a previous poster with a little sarcasm.

How could having a guy running the draft who actually knows how to select good players be a bad thing regardless of anything else he brings to the table?

Sullivan is an idiot because he thinks its a bad move because Nix doesn't know how to do other things most GM's do...no offense, but I would rather have a guy who knows how to draft good players than a guy who know how to fill out payroll...

Sullivan is an idiot because he thinks its a bad move because Nix doesn't know how to do other things most GM's do...no offense, but I would rather have a guy who knows how to draft good players than a guy who know how to fill out payroll...

Sullivan believes that the Bills didn't look outside the organization, when Clayton reported that they did, exhaustively, but no one wanted to interview. And I missed the part where Sullivan said that Nix doesn't know how to do the other things most GM's do. That's idiotic. He knows how to pick players, which is a HUGE thing that GM's do. Whether he "knows" how to pick a HC remains to be seen, not that any GM really "knows" how to pick one. Contracts will be handled by someone else. Brandon will handle marketing, etc.