Turk Schonert on Sirius right now live

realtruelove

My favorite part of that interview (aside from how Tim and Pat hailed this guy as a great offensive coordinator) was when Turk said this is a game about getting yards in chunks and not the dink-and-dunk stuff. I almost threw up all over when I heard this -- because that was basically his offense all last year (and presumably would have been this year)... and save the "but, it was Jauron's fault for running a pop warner offense" routine. Jauron was clueless and Turk sucked at calling plays.

My favorite part of that interview (aside from how Tim and Pat hailed this guy as a great offensive coordinator) was when Turk said this is a game about getting yards in chunks and not the dink-and-dunk stuff. I almost threw up all over when I heard this -- because that was basically his offense all last year (and presumably would have been this year)... and save the "but, it was Jauron's fault for running a pop warner offense" routine. Jauron was clueless and Turk sucked at calling plays.

You're assuming the QB actually threw to the designed play's primary target, no?

this is why Trent is no longer our QB.

That is Jauron's offense, not Turk.

Plus Edwards never threw to WR's.

That is Jauron's offense, not Turk.

Plus Edwards never threw to WR's.

It's no coincidence that Fairchild's, Schonert's, and Van Pelt's offenses looked similar. I'm sure if one went back to John Shoop's offenses from 01-03 in Chicago that they weren't much different either. 4 OC's, 1 HC. It doesn't take a genius to see that DJ was the one telling them what kind of offense he wanted.

That said, Schonert was a blowhard idiot ill-prepared to be a OC in the league after being a QB for so long.

It's no coincidence that Fairchild's, Schonert's, and Van Pelt's offenses looked similar. I'm sure if one went back to John Shoop's offenses from 01-03 in Chicago that they weren't much different either. 4 OC's, 1 HC. It doesn't take a genius to see that DJ was the one telling them what kind of offense he wanted.

That said, Schonert was a blowhard idiot ill-prepared to be a OC in the league after being a QB for so long.

Still gotta go with QB on this one. JP to Holcomb to Edwards. Two no longer in the league, one on his way out...

Still gotta go with QB on this one. JP to Holcomb to Edwards. Two no longer in the league, one on his way out...

I think most Bills fans watch other NFL games. It's surprising to see basic things offensively that Buffalo does not do, or only recently has. Screen passes, slant patterns, putting a man in motion (only recently unveiled), the draw play, play action, et al.

I'm not saying these things have never been run, but it's been very infrequent. That offense has never been anything but simple, regardless of the QB. I'll grant that neither Losman, Edwards, or Fitzpatrick are more that bad QB's, but I place more of the blame onto DJ for not being innovative or able to adapt to opposing defenses...EVER.

I think most Bills fans watch other NFL games. It's surprising to see basic things offensively that Buffalo does not do, or only recently has. Screen passes, slant patterns, putting a man in motion (only recently unveiled), the draw play, play action, et al.

I'm not saying these things have never been run, but it's been very infrequent. That offense has never been anything but simple, regardless of the QB. I'll grant that neither Losman, Edwards, or Fitzpatrick are more that bad QB's, but I place more of the blame onto DJ for not being innovative or able to adapt to opposing defenses...EVER.

Yeah, but it's amazing what establishing one area of an offensive attack will do for opening up your playbook. We don't get to see it opened because we do nothing to force our will, aka: we don't have a quarterback that poses a threat and we don't run with consistency. When we have shown gumption running the ball, it's gotten derailed by stupid penalties.

So, while I agree that we don't see much in the ways of variety, a think a major contributor is the shear lack of plays the offense has proven capable of running, REGARDLESS of the play calling/scheme. There's just no execution of what is being called.

I would also add, that given the number of plays we run, we probably do run play action and draws proportional to the rest of the league. Sadly, in both cases, their efficacy is predicated by much of the above-mentioned, so rarely are they run with success. Point in case, nowadays the quarterback NEVER has a chance to go play action deep. Instead it's just more dump passes because that's all he has time to do. In the end, it renders the use of play action veritably pointless.

A footnote on Fairchild: His offense at CSU is considered very complex and one of the most complex in the college game. With the Buffalo Bills, "his" offense was criticized as absurdly simple.

The fans wanted Fairchild gone and really never gave the guy a chance to build a potent offense,same thing happened with Dan Henning who Marv brought in.

I almost get the sense someone besides RW was paying Jauron to screw this team over and lose.

What kind of retard who knows very little about running an offense himself, promotes a QB coach to OC to call plays and then lets him run the entire offense, then he does it again after he fires the first guy two weeks before the season opener?

The O line coach retires so he promotes an assistant who failed miserably his first year, then completely rebuilds the entire O line at every position.

I rest my case.

If I were RW I wouldn't pay that imbecile Jauron another penny, I'd pull an Al Davis on his azz

A footnote on Fairchild: His offense at CSU is considered very complex and one of the most complex in the college game. With the Buffalo Bills, "his" offense was criticized as absurdly simple.

Fairchild's team is so bad that they provided my New Mexico Lobos, possibly the most dysfunctional and terrible team in the entire NCAA, their only win of the 2009 season. Maybe I'll get my wish and Wyoming or SDSU will hire Schonert to be their HC, so the Lobos can get two guaranteed wins next season.

Who cares how complex an offense is? The only thing that matters is how many points they score. Look at the Chargers offense, it's pretty simple and they're scoring like crazy.

Marv once said that good teams do the ordinary things extraordinarily well, not extraordinary things ordinarily well.

Still gotta go w/ the lack of cohesion from ownership to management to coaching to players on this one. Good teams have it; the rest...