Who's likely to take a QB ahead of us?

dtgolder

Looking at this thread and this site leaves me wondering who might select a QB ahead of us?

So we have a projected draft order of:

1 St. Louis 1-14

2 Detroit 2-13

3 Kansas City 3-12

4 Tampa Bay 3-12

5 Washington 4-11

6 Cleveland 4-11

7 Seattle 5-10

8 Buffalo 5-10

Assuming this stands, and no trades...and St. Louis drafts Suh...then looking at depth charts we have:

Detroit - Stafford on board, so unlikely to take a QB with their first pick

Kansas City - Matt Cassel, Croyle, & Gutierrez: Cassel still young, and likely staying...hasn't done too poorly this year (and not enough to justify drafting a QB #1 with all their other needs)

Tampa Bay - Freeman, Johnson & Carpenter: Possibly a new QB taken here? But Freeman just taken in 2009 (with TB 1st pick--#17) so unlikely to give up on him and take ANOTHER QB #1...

Washington - Campbell, Collins & Bartel: Campbell doing ok, and young (drafted in 2005)...not sure they're ready to give up on him?

Cleveland - Anderson, Ratliff: Brady Quinn on IR so maybe they're still good with him? Anderson is awful, but do they draft a QB and (essentially) give up on Quinn? (Might be tempting to take a QB, but if they do would they avoid Clausen as an ND QB, given the lack of productivity of Quinn?)

Seattle - Hasselbeck, Wallace & Teel: Hasselbeck is having a good year, but is old...would they draft a QB or have more pressing needs? Might not be able to pass up one of the top tier QBs....

So I'm certainly not an expert (and am looking for opinions) but I see Cleveland and Seattle as the prime possibilities...and Cleveland may avoid Clausen.

Given the number of good QBs (Bradford, McCoy, Clausen, Locker, etc.) it seems that we're likely to get a good shot and a few of them...and maybe only 1 of them off the board by the time the Bills pick?

Would love to hear from some folks that know more about each team's needs that are picking above the Bills--who is (and who is not) likely to take a QB? (And which teams have more pressing needs at other positions?)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at this thread and this site leaves me wondering who might select a QB ahead of us?

1 St. Louis 1-14

2 Detroit 2-13

3 Kansas City 3-12

4 Tampa Bay 3-12

5 Washington 4-11

6 Cleveland 4-11

7 Seattle 5-10

8 Buffalo 5-10

St. Louis definitely needs a QB, it's just a question of whether they see anyone worth taking at the #1 overall slot. Drafting Suh to play with Chris Long and Laurinaitis would be a solid foundation for what could easily become a dominant front 7 with another solid LB in the mix.

Detroit has Stafford, a 2009 1st rounder. Not drafting a QB in 2010, at least not early.

KC signed Cassel to a massive extension. I think they have more pressing needs than a QB on both sides of the ball. Like getting some more guys to keep Cassel off the ground, and maybe some WR's who can catch.

Tampa Bay: See Detroit, sub Freeman for Stafford.

Washington: Depends on Jim Zorn's fate, but with a new staff and regime I could see Snyder grabbing a QB.

Cleveland: Depends on Mangini's fate. If they install more of a west coast offense (Holmgren influence) then perhaps Quinn will be fine.

Seattle could definitely use a QB for the future. Hasselbeck is getting old, but so is their offensive line, especially Walter Jones at LT.

1 St. Louis 1-14

2 Detroit 2-13

3 Kansas City 3-12

4 Tampa Bay 3-12

5 Washington 4-11

6 Cleveland 4-11

7 Seattle 5-10

8 Buffalo 5-10

Assuming this stands, and no trades...and St. Louis drafts Suh...then looking at depth charts we have:

Kansas City - Matt Cassel, Croyle, & Gutierrez: Cassel still young, and likely staying...hasn't done too poorly this year (and not enough to justify drafting a QB #1 with all their other needs)

Tampa Bay - Freeman, Johnson & Carpenter: Possibly a new QB taken here? But Freeman just taken in 2009 (with TB 1st pick--#17) so unlikely to give up on him and take ANOTHER QB #1...

Washington - Campbell, Collins & Bartel: Campbell doing ok, and young (drafted in 2005)...not sure they're ready to give up on him?

Cleveland - Anderson, Ratliff: Brady Quinn on IR so maybe they're still good with him? Anderson is awful, but do they draft a QB and (essentially) give up on Quinn? (Might be tempting to take a QB, but if they do would they avoid Clausen as an ND QB, given the lack of productivity of Quinn?)

Seattle - Hasselbeck, Wallace & Teel: Hasselbeck is having a good year, but is old...would they draft a QB or have more pressing needs? Might not be able to pass up one of the top tier QBs....

So I'm certainly not an expert (and am looking for opinions) but I see Cleveland and Seattle as the prime possibilities...and Cleveland may avoid Clausen.

Given the number of good QBs (Bradford, McCoy, Clausen, Locker, etc.) it seems that we're likely to get a good shot and a few of them...and maybe only 1 of them off the board by the time the Bills pick?

Would love to hear from some folks that know more about each team's needs that are picking above the Bills--who is (and who is not) likely to take a QB? (And which teams have more pressing needs at other positions?)

Wasington is getting a new coach and the new regime will want their own guy. Campbell is a free agent and will likely be somewhere else next year. I think Seattle is also a canidate for a QB. Hasselbeck is actually struggling this season and looks old. I think Mora is going to get fired too. St. Louis is likely to draft Suh, but alot of things can happen between now and the draft. They have invested two recent first rounders into the d-line and might look at a QB. These prospects can grade out differently as the offseason moves foward.

St. Louis definitely needs a QB, it's just a question of whether they see anyone worth taking at the #1 overall slot. Drafting Suh to play with Chris Long and Laurinaitis would be a solid foundation for what could easily become a dominant front 7 with another solid LB in the mix.

Detroit has Stafford, a 2009 1st rounder. Not drafting a QB in 2010, at least not early.

KC signed Cassel to a massive extension. I think they have more pressing needs than a QB on both sides of the ball. Like getting some more guys to keep Cassel off the ground, and maybe some WR's who can catch.

Tampa Bay: See Detroit, sub Freeman for Stafford.

Washington: Depends on Jim Zorn's fate, but with a new staff and regime I could see Snyder grabbing a QB.

Cleveland: Depends on Mangini's fate. If they install more of a west coast offense (Holmgren influence) then perhaps Quinn will be fine.

Seattle could definitely use a QB for the future. Hasselbeck is getting old, but so is their offensive line, especially Walter Jones at LT.

Clausen and Bradford are the only two QBs who are worth a top 15 selection, and I think there is a pretty good chance one of them will be there when we pick. Trading up a few slots is also a definite possibility.

Wasington is getting a new coach and the new regime will want their own guy. Campbell is a free agent and will likely be somewhere else next year. I think Seattle is also a canidate for a QB. Hasselbeck is actually struggling this season and looks old. I think Mora is going to get fired too. St. Louis is likely to draft Suh, but alot of things can happen between now and the draft. They have invested two recent first rounders into the d-line and might look at a QB. These prospects can grade out differently as the offseason moves foward.

Campbell is a restricted FA, so the Skins are likely to retain him.

1 St. Louis 1-14

2 Detroit 2-13

3 Kansas City 3-12

4 Tampa Bay 3-12

5 Washington 4-11

6 Cleveland 4-11

7 Seattle 5-10

8 Buffalo 5-10

all of these QBs are a tease now that Locker is staying in school

none of them are worth a top 10 draft pick

I see St Louis, Washington and Seattle all looking for a QB with their #1 IMO

If the Bills select a QB without upgrading the left tackle position in the off season or draft, then you can expect him to start strong and regress just like every other QB the Bills have ruined.

I'm more concerned with who the Bills hire as GM or president rather then the draft, because if this is the same front office staff doing the drafting, you can expect more Maybins. Players that "might" be good in 2-3 years.

To me the bottom line is there will definately be a good player at a position of need when we pick.......that is the reward for having such a crappy year.......

If a franchize QB drops in your lap you take him.....and spend money in free agency to shore up the OL

If a franchize LT drops in your lap you take him......bring in a veteran QB and draft a QB in the 2nd round

Its a win win for us

St Louis - At #1 they would take Suh. However I think they'll entertain trade offers for somebody that covets Suh. If they trade down they are likely to take a QB

Washington - New GM + New Coach = New QB

Cleveland - The only way I see them NOT taking a QB and sticking with Brady Quinn is if Charlie Weis is hired as OC and Clausen is off the board

Seattle - Very likely to draft a QB. Hasselbeck is showing his age

It's also possible that Oakland drafts ahead of us. They might be in the market for their next #1 pick QB since Jarmcus Russell is a bust, Gradkowski isn't a long term solution, Frye stinks, and JP is, well you know

Carolina and possibly San Fran are possible threats to trade up ahead of the Bills

If Tebow's stock should skyrocket, I could see Jacksonville trading up to get him

1 St. Louis 1-14

2 Detroit 2-13

3 Kansas City 3-12

4 Tampa Bay 3-12

5 Washington 4-11

6 Cleveland 4-11

7 Seattle 5-10

8 Buffalo 5-10

Washington, Cleveland, and Seattle could easily take a QB,

1 St. Louis 1-14

2 Detroit 2-13

3 Kansas City 3-12

4 Tampa Bay 3-12

5 Washington 4-11

6 Cleveland 4-11

7 Seattle 5-10

8 Buffalo 5-10

Excellent analysis. If the Bills want a quarterback, it sounds like we're best off losing to Indy, hoping that Cleveland and Seattle win their games, and that St. Louis drafts Suh instead of taking a QB. Or, as someone mentioned, the Bills could always trade up a few slots to grab the QB they want. I don't care how many holes this team has--if you don't have a quarterback, and if there's a franchise quarterback available in the draft, you pay the price you need to pay to get him. When it comes to getting your next QB, half measures are worse than useless. Half measures resulted in Todd Collins, Billy Joe Hobart, Drew Bledsoe, J.P. Losman, and Trent Edwards. We need to get The Guy, and not "the best QB who happens to be conveniently/readily available without giving up too many draft picks."

Is there a franchise quarterback waiting for us in this draft? I've heard very good things about Clausen, and he looked good the one time I saw him (against Stanford). It might be worthwhile to trade away our third round pick to move up to get him. Then we could take a LT in the second round. That draft wouldn't fill all our holes, but this piece of Swiss cheese of a team isn't going to have all its holes filled in one off-season no matter what it does. Getting the most important and difficult to fill position fixed would be a good first step on the road to a solid team.

It could be argued that LT is also a very hard position to fill, and that a second round pick might not be The Guy at LT any more than a second round QB would turn out to be The Guy. But that's okay. If the LT turns out to be solid but unspectacular, then in the 2011 draft the Bills can take another LT in the first round. The second round LT from the 2010 draft would be moved to right tackle. Then Brad Butler could be either moved to guard or relegated to the bench. If the former, Wood would move to center.

1 St. Louis 1-14

2 Detroit 2-13

3 Kansas City 3-12

4 Tampa Bay 3-12

5 Washington 4-11

6 Cleveland 4-11

7 Seattle 5-10

8 Buffalo 5-10

Hopefully they all pick a QB before the Bills pick. The decision needs to be taken out of their hands so they don't screw up and take a QB themselves.

The Bills need help at offensive tackle immediately!!!!!

The Rams def need a QB but if they have the first pick they are most likely going to take Suh

Detroit just drafted Stafford

KC just traded for Cassel

TB just drafted Freeman

Wash might draft a QB

Cleveland could draft a QB but I doubt it

Seattle could draft a QB

Hasselback is having a bad year. He threw 4 picks in each of the last 2 games. And Seattle will lose Sunday as they play Tennessee at home. They'll finish 5-11. I could see them picking a QB if a good ones they like is there. Matt is injury riddled at this point. They got Seneca Wallace who they re signed last year, but not sure you'd want him as your every day starter. I wouldn't be surprised to see Matt traded to the Clowns in the off season. Lambs will defintiley take a QB. Redskins could very well take a QB too.

To me the bottom line is there will definately be a good player at a position of need when we pick.......that is the reward for having such a crappy year.......

If a franchize QB drops in your lap you take him.....and spend money in free agency to shore up the OL

If a franchize LT drops in your lap you take him......bring in a veteran QB and draft a QB in the 2nd round

Its a win win for us

But the trick is, you kind of have to decide your path before the draft because FA is open and mostly

over before the draft in April.

i think St Louis, Washington and Seattle would all pick a QB.....and don't rule out Cleveland with a new regime. Dont be surprised if Detroit trades up with St louis to protect themselves from losing Suh, allowing St louis to pick a QB at #2.

I agree. And if the draft order holds and Bradford or Claussen get past all of those QB-needy teams to our pick, why would the Bills know something all those teams don't? Thus, don't see the Bills getting a QB with their 1st pick. In terms of picking a QB after the 1st round, is Brohm just as good of a developmental pick as any QB the Bills could have in this draft after the 1st round?