Keep dreaming, because its all dreaming

Cornerville

So $hanahan turns down Buffalo, much to the happiness of pinheads like John Clayton because the alien does not want to travel to Buffalo in Jan....everyone PLEASE stop this...we are NOT getting an elite coach...elite players will NEVER EVER COME HERE!

ONLY hope and I mean the ONLY hope: Get REAL lucky with a GM hiring, and strike it HUGE in the NFL Drafts.

End of story.

F Shanny and F ESPN.

So $hanahan turns down Buffalo, much to the happiness of pinheads like John Clayton because the alien does not want to travel to Buffalo in Jan....everyone PLEASE stop this...we are NOT getting an elite coach...elite players will NEVER EVER COME HERE!

ONLY hope and I mean the ONLY hope: Get REAL lucky with a GM hiring, and strike it HUGE in the NFL Drafts.

End of story.

F Shanny and F ESPN.

The Bills have to do 2 things 1- as you mentioned strike it big in the draft no busts and no passing up on elite players for above average ones. 2- Finding players with worts who are undervalued but can still contribute.

Now you need to find guys that are in the wrong system (Derrick Johnson of KC), older players who while not at their peak are still doing well (Jason Ferguson of MIA), players coming off of injury (Chad Pennington of MIA), players who are coming off of down years but seem salvageable (Fred Robbins of NY) and guys who are unproven but you think are good sitting behind players that are good (Like Anthony Fasano playing behind Jason Whitten or Hangartner last offseason).

Not only can you get these players because they have flaws or are on the down side BUT if you can get production out of these guys then your team gets better without having to overpay for second level talent (Derrick Dockery types). Now look at what Parcells did with Miami after they had a 1-15 season. Parcells got a bunch of veteran defenders and Chad Pennington to anchor the QB spot and draft Long to anchor the line and picked up Fasano from Dallas and bam they got lucky and won the division last year.

BUT at the heart of a Buffalo rebuilding effort is drafting great and picking up bargains in free agency. Those are pretty much the two avenues left for Buffalo to pursue if they want to get talent. Trading draft picks for older talent doesn't work out (See Washington and the Dolphins before Parcells got there), you won't get big name free agents to come here, and paying bid for second level guys doesn't pan out (See Derrick Dockery).

End of story.

F Shanny and F ESPN.

Agreed.

I don't know about Ralph, and I no longer live in WNY, but it still p!$$es me off that the Bills are treated this way. I'm mad. I don't respect Holmgren anymore for his outright 'No' when asked about the Bills job. I don't appreciate Shanahan using Buffalo to simply test the waters- knowing full well that he was not coming to the Bills anyways. Atleast Cowher has some class by deferring to the end of the year. Gruden too eluded to his contract with Monday Night Football.

In the end, nobody owes Buffalo anything, but is the organization really viewed so horribly to be so disregarded? I think finances may be a part of it, as I don't believe Shanahan wanted to be shackled by a small market allowance. I also wonder if the personalities in the front office that control the purse strings (Jim Overdorf) and his relationship and power in the organization may also have influenced things.

But we need to start at GM. I, for the record, would prefer someone who has done it before like Floyd Reese or Parcells. I don't know- not saying that it would happen, either- but would the Bills ever be able to pull off a trade with Indy for Polian the way Tampa did to get Gruden from Oakland?

I wonder why they are looking at coaches when we should be looking at GM's...

The Bills have to do 2 things 1- as you mentioned strike it big in the draft no busts and no passing up on elite players for above average ones. 2- Finding players with worts who are undervalued but can still contribute.

Now you need to find guys that are in the wrong system (Derrick Johnson of KC), older players who while not at their peak are still doing well (Jason Ferguson of MIA), players coming off of injury (Chad Pennington of MIA), players who are coming off of down years but seem salvageable (Fred Robbins of NY) and guys who are unproven but you think are good sitting behind players that are good (Like Anthony Fasano playing behind Jason Whitten or Hangartner last offseason).

Not only can you get these players because they have flaws or are on the down side BUT if you can get production out of these guys then your team gets better without having to overpay for second level talent (Derrick Dockery types). Now look at what Parcells did with Miami after they had a 1-15 season. Parcells got a bunch of veteran defenders and Chad Pennington to anchor the QB spot and draft Long to anchor the line and picked up Fasano from Dallas and bam they got lucky and won the division last year.

BUT at the heart of a Buffalo rebuilding effort is drafting great and picking up bargains in free agency. Those are pretty much the two avenues left for Buffalo to pursue if they want to get talent. Trading draft picks for older talent doesn't work out (See Washington and the Dolphins before Parcells got there), you won't get big name free agents to come here, and paying bid for second level guys doesn't pan out (See Derrick Dockery).

Those are some good points.

I like the Johnson from KC one.

Another to think about is Aaron Kampman in Green Bay. Rumor is he's not happy playing LB in a 3-4, and is best suited as a DE in a 4-3 scheme. Our current D-line coach is also very familiar with him.

I don't appreciate Shanahan using Buffalo to simply test the waters- knowing full well that he was not coming to the Bills anyways ....

That was more of an even-value exchange than we'd like to admit ... Shanahan helps goose up buzz for himself, the Bills get to use the (illusory) prospect of trying to bring in a big name (in this case, Shanahan) to excuse more inaction. On top of that, Brandon makes the Bills appear to be relevant again for a week, maybe even able to sell a few more tickets on false hope - in lieu of a complete fan revolt.

It was a small win/win - just not for Bills fans.

End of story.

F Shanny and F ESPN.

We don't need elite players to COME here...we need to do what every good team does, and DRAFT the elite players so they don't have a choice...draft enough elite players and your grandma could coach them to a super bowl eventually

I do not think Shanny used Buffalo, I think Buffalo used Shanny to placate fans for a while. He never came here, we went there to talk to him. We spread all kinds of rumors of team ownership, full control and 10 million a season contract. All shanny said that he would listen , he did not go actively seeking the Bills job. I think it was a great play by Russ and Wilson to calm the fans into thinking we were going after some big time names for GM and coach. I think they were hoping ferrel could somehow turn the team around and get the HC position.

End of story.

F Shanny and F ESPN.

Your ignorance is overwhelming, Circle man.

First of all, a coach, especially a 57 year old guy probably on his last job, wants to go to a soon-to-be-winner, that is a team with a ready QB which Buffalo obviously does not have (although I for one cross my fingers on Brohm).

The majority of players, Circle man, will go where they see a good staff in place (hey, we ARE hoping the Bills hire a good staff, right?) and where they receive top dollar. Ralph seems willing to spend the bucks to build the team right now before he has to soon meet and explain to his maker why he has slacked off from building a winner all these years.

In short, maybe...just maybe, Scrooge's pocketbook is now open somewhat and you can say what you want but if it is, the players will imitate the Field of Dreams and come in......and you can take that to the bank, Circle man!!

Your ignorance is overwhelming, Circle man.

First of all, a coach, especially a 57 year old guy probably on his last job, wants to go to a soon-to-be-winner, that is a team with a ready QB which Buffalo obviously does not have (although I for one cross my fingers on Brohm).

The majority of players, Circle man, will go where they see a good staff in place (hey, we ARE hoping the Bills hire a good staff, right?) and where they receive top dollar. Ralph seems willing to spend the bucks to build the team right now before he has to soon meet and explain to his maker why he has slacked off from building a winner all these years.

In short, maybe...just maybe, Scrooge's pocketbook is now open somewhat and you can say what you want but if it is, the players will imitate the Field of Dreams and come in......and you can take that to the bank, Circle man!!

Wake up. Coaches, players, and even media members and opposing teams' fans don't want to go to Buffalo. It a combination of the small market, "there's nothing to do there," weather, economy, income tax, etc. The Bills haven't been able to attract a top coach ever, and have had to sorely overpay FA's to play for them, as well as their own FA's to stay.

End of story.

F Shanny and F ESPN.

Thanks for the news flash :wacko: