WCW vs WWF

billsfan89

Now I don't really watch professional wrestling anymore other then the occasional glance. But recently I heard about Hulk Hogan working with TNA wrestling and that they are going to be doing a live broadcast head to head with WWF/E on Monday night for one night.

But does anyone here remember the old WCW vs WWF monday night war? I was a kid back then and I was really into professional wrestling. But I think that pro-wrestling (Which is mostly **** now) was made awesome by the fact that there was direct competition between (Both had their marquee shows on at the same night on the same time live) Ted Turner's WCW promotion and the WWF.

Were there any fans of the old Monday Night Wars? I loved when WCW first came on and really stuck it to the WWF by stealing their talent and doing things McMahon never thought of and then there was the NWO (With a bad guy Hulk Hogan) and the greatest storyline in professional wrestling history of Hulk Hogan and the NWO vs Sting and the WCW. WWF eventually made stars out of Stone Cold Steve Austin and the Rock and launched their own more edgier programming.

Eventually WCW lost out in the ratings battle due to its inability to push their younger guys like Chris Jerico and the fact that they ruined the one guy they did push in Goldberg. WCW also wasn't helped out by the AOL Time Warner take over which really hurt their product. BUT since then wrestling has gone to **** mostly due to lack of competition. Was anyone else a huge fan of the old WCW vs WWF rivalry?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I don't really watch professional wrestling anymore other then the occasional glance. But recently I heard about Hulk Hogan working with TNA wrestling and that they are going to be doing a live broadcast head to head with WWF/E on Monday night for one night.

But does anyone here remember the old WCW vs WWF monday night war? I was a kid back then and I was really into professional wrestling. But I think that pro-wrestling (Which is mostly **** now) was made awesome by the fact that there was direct competition between (Both had their marquee shows on at the same night on the same time live) Ted Turner's WCW promotion and the WWF.

Were there any fans of the old Monday Night Wars? I loved when WCW first came on and really stuck it to the WWF by stealing their talent and doing things McMahon never thought of and then there was the NWO (With a bad guy Hulk Hogan) and the greatest storyline in professional wrestling history of Hulk Hogan and the NWO vs Sting and the WCW. WWF eventually made stars out of Stone Cold Steve Austin and the Rock and launched their own more edgier programming.

Eventually WCW lost out in the ratings battle due to its inability to push their younger guys like Chris Jerico and the fact that they ruined the one guy they did push in Goldberg. WCW also wasn't helped out by the AOL Time Warner take over which really hurt their product. BUT since then wrestling has gone to **** mostly due to lack of competition. Was anyone else a huge fan of the old WCW vs WWF rivalry?

Yeah, thanks for making me feel old by saying you were a kid back then. I was about 25 when Ted Turner made a go of it and yes, I was a big fan at the time. You're absolutely right, the competition forced both "leagues" to put on their best show. I loved that WCW was bringing back a lot of the wrestlers that I watched as a kid. It gave me something to look forward to on Monday nights in the NFL off season. Goldberg was the man back then. But, as you said, I haven't watched wrestling since that Monday night competition died out. I couldn't even tell you what channel to find wrestling on anymore.

Yeah, thanks for making me feel old by saying you were a kid back then. I was about 25 when Ted Turner made a go of it and yes, I was a big fan at the time. You're absolutely right, the competition forced both "leagues" to put on their best show. I loved that WCW was bringing back a lot of the wrestlers that I watched as a kid. It gave me something to look forward to on Monday nights in the NFL off season. Goldberg was the man back then. But, as you said, I haven't watched wrestling since that Monday night competition died out. I couldn't even tell you what channel to find wrestling on anymore.

I remember when Goldberg was on that ridiculous winning streak and Stone Cold broke out the argument was always who would win in a match between the two. I swear if you had a PPV match between the two circa 1998 the buy rate would have surpassed any Wrestlemania.

The thread title is very misleading - 'when wrestling was actually good'.

Hah! You children know nothing of GOOD wrestling...REAL wrestling - Classy Freddy Blassie, Bruno Samartino, Dominic Denucci, Toni Parisi, Waldo Von Erich, George 'The Animal' Steele, Pampiro Firpo, Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka, The Fargo Brothers, Haystacks Calhoun, BoBo Brazil, Mr. Fuji, Toru Tanaka, Killer Kowalski, OMG I could go on and on...

Hah! You children know nothing of GOOD wrestling...REAL wrestling - Classy Freddy Blassie, Bruno Samartino, Dominic Denucci, Toni Parisi, Waldo Von Erich, George 'The Animal' Steele, Pampiro Firpo, Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka, The Fargo Brothers, Haystacks Calhoun, BoBo Brazil, Mr. Fuji, Toru Tanaka, Killer Kowalski, OMG I could go on and on...

Thank you Senator!

Damn whippersnappers.. :thumbsup:

+1

Add me to this list. We used to have friggin wrestling parties every Monday night at my pal's place, when WCW was at its peak. The NWO story line was really great. We didnt evewn go near MNF unless it was a Bills game or a real big one like Dallas/San Fran or something like that.

I dont mind admitting that Ive put on TNA a few times on Thurs nights and its acutally not bad. If you liked WCW and in the mood for some guilty pleasure nostalgia TV, put it on. VERY WCW-like.

On a somewhat seperate note, I FINALLY saw The Wrestler and LOVED the wrestling specific parts (and Marissa Tomei, but I digress). Reminded me of the "old" ECW matches.

Never said that the mid to late 1990's was the only time wrestling was good just that it was the last time it was good. Since WCW went out of business (2001 I believe) WWF has gone down the drain and there hasn't been any serious competition (TNA has been trying recently but its still not at a WCW level). But your point is well taken that there have other equally awesome eras of rasslin.

Dude, a little later than that and you're in the golden age...Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Sgt. Slaughter, Iron Sheik, Junk Yard Dog, the Hulkster and on and on....

Don't forget about Randy "Macho Man" Savage, that guy was great.

Also, back in the day, Ric Flair and the Road Warriors were pretty badass.

Don't forget about Randy "Macho Man" Savage, that guy was great.

Also, back in the day, Ric Flair and the Road Warriors were pretty badass.

****, yeah! Forgot about macho man and the nature boy. stylin and profilin...the baddest thing going...ta-day! WOO!

Suck It....DX style

Opposite here, nothing beat Monday night Raw back in the late nineties. I even went to a ppv match up in Buffalo...can't remember the event but I think the main event was the Rock vs Triple H.

Nitro post 1998 started to go down hill. The NWO got old, The same 6 guys were competing for the title, and the guys people actually wanted to see like Bret Hart and Goldberg were buried by the likes of Hulk Hogan.

BUT Nitro circa 1996-1998 was a much better show then Raw. You had the NWO facing off against sting and the WCW; as well as Goldbergs epic winning streak. Not to mention a ton of young talent like Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerro, Dean Malenko and Rey Mysterio Jr lighting it up in the lower matches. From top to bottom Nitro at that time was probably the best wrestling show to date.

I must admit that around 1999 I did stop watching Nitro (How many times can you see the NWO beat up a guy) and tuned into Raw because they had more fresh faces like the Rock, Triple H, Stone Cold and others. BUT while Raw from 1998-2000 was a very good show it just wasn't as good as Nitro in its prime at least for me.

The thing that would drive me nuts about wrestling is when they brought back the older wrestlers that I loved when they were very old and a shell of their former cells.......

Ultimate Warrior.....Snuka......these guys were GODs to me......then they brought them back......yuk

****, yeah! Forgot about macho man and the nature boy. stylin and profilin...the baddest thing going...ta-day! WOO!

Ric Flair freaking sucks now, Watch his matches, he does a couple moves, then they gotta take a rest break, then a couple more moves, another rest break, etc.

Things I remember from the wars....

- WCW announcing who would win the WWF title that night, since RAW had taped the show on Sunday

- DX going to a WCW show and trying to get into the arena

- When Dean Malenko, Chris Benoit, Perry Saturn, and Eddie Guerrero jumped to WWF, something about the WCW contract meant the couldn't talk on air about why they left WCW. So Mick Foley did the talking for them as they stood there and laughed.