• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We should have both!!

From NFL.coms game recap:

" Game ball

Redskins rookie Brian Orakpo had his way with Oakland's overmatched offensive tackles, finishing with a career-high four sacks and a forced fumble. His pressure wore down the Raiders and rendered their offense completely ineffective in the second half."

Just imagine the type of INTS this team would be producing if we had a rookie DE stud to rush the passer - now has 11 sacks in 13 games.... Man, as if many on this board didn't see that coming. While it looks like we got lucky with Byrd, we really missed the boat passing on Orakpo or even Oher. If you want to reply with "3 years to develop" please instead just wait three years to read this post.

I would have been more impressed if he would have just knocked the ball down...instead of picking if off in the KC game.

im pretty sure it was fourth down...just knocking it down and we would have had better field position and not risked a potential fumble

I mean i understand why he went for the ball obviously, it was a gift and hes chasing a record

I would have been more impressed if he would have just knocked the ball down...instead of picking if off in the KC game.

im pretty sure it was fourth down...just knocking it down and we would have had better field position and not risked a potential fumble

I mean i understand why he went for the ball obviously, it was a gift and hes chasing a record

Yes, Byrd's INT did come on a 4th down play ... but the ball was snapped from the 21, the pass was tipped by Scott, Byrd intercepted at the 5, and returned it to the 23. Still, I understand your point - it would have been smarter for him just to knock it down. Do have to give Byrd credit for sliding to the ground untouched when he got back to the 20 yard line - he could have made more yards, but by then he remembered the most important thing was not to risk a fumble, and went to ground on his own.

The Hail Mary pass that Wilson intercepted in the end zone to end the game came on 2nd down.

True - but the mind says grab the ball if you can...hard to get around that.

Also - can't say for sure - there is a monetary angle, in that pro contracts seem to generally include incentive clauses - this many ints = this much extra money.

When a team doesn't start a player for things like being late for a meeting - that's a tool in their belt. I've read here or there that contracts can include language about $ based on starts. We've all seen a player not start, and come in the next play or so.

From NFL.coms game recap:

" Game ball

Redskins rookie Brian Orakpo had his way with Oakland's overmatched offensive tackles, finishing with a career-high four sacks and a forced fumble. His pressure wore down the Raiders and rendered their offense completely ineffective in the second half."

Just imagine the type of INTS this team would be producing if we had a rookie DE stud to rush the passer - now has 11 sacks in 13 games.... Man, as if many on this board didn't see that coming. While it looks like we got lucky with Byrd, we really missed the boat passing on Orakpo or even Oher. If you want to reply with "3 years to develop" please instead just wait three years to read this post.

Count me in as one of the people that underestimated Orakpo :thumbsup:

The guy's instincts are to catch the ball every time he's near it, and you want him to start knocking it down instead of catching it? Because he might fumble it after he catches it?

It really is true... Jauron's ultra conservative football has completely infected this franchise, including the fan base.

why would byrd knock the ball down? have you forgotten how many of his picks have come from tipped balls? You don't think a WR couldn't catch a tipped ball in the endzone?

i love how people try to de-value byrd's INTs because they are tipped passes. Chris Chambers and TO can't even catch balls that thrown directly to them. Catching a tipped pass requires a lot of concentration and great reflexes. Also, tell me how many INTs Fitzpatrick really should have? How many times have LBs or CBs dropped balls thrown right to them for an INT? People should be thankful Buffalo finally found a great player in Byrd.

The guy's instincts are to catch the ball every time he's near it, and you want him to start knocking it down instead of catching it? Because he might fumble it after he catches it?

It really is true... Jauron's ultra conservative football has completely infected this franchise, including the fan base.

I understand his instincts are to catch the ball...but the play is to knock the ball down (if he can catch it..he can smack it to the ground)

Its just obvious! he knows it fourth down (or at least I hope he knew) then he should know that by slamming it to the ground they get the ball at the 23ish and not risk a fumble. In that situation it is conservative...but its smart!

Again, like i said before, i completely understand why I caught it and i'm not blaming him for that...but (like i said) i would have been more impressed if he just batted it down.

The Bills also, as a team, lead the league in INTs. Imagine if we had a pass rush!

I am imagining. actually our pass rush has been a whole lot better than last year. im not the stat guy. but last year if seemed as if we only had 10 sacks all year. this year i am pretty sure we have 20+.

if we had a better run defense, we would be a top 10 defense. now imagine that.

I understand his instincts are to catch the ball...but the play is to knock the ball down (if he can catch it..he can smack it to the ground)

Its just obvious! he knows it fourth down (or at least I hope he knew) then he should know that by slamming it to the ground they get the ball at the 23ish and not risk a fumble. In that situation it is conservative...but its smart!

Again, like i said before, i completely understand why I caught it and i'm not blaming him for that...but (like i said) i would have been more impressed if he just batted it down.

we have so many bad records, can the byrd man int without any whining???

i understand the 'be smart" strategy. but at this point, most bills players, even buffalobills.com has us out of the playoffs. one article began something like this, "while the bills are out....they are still performing"

so let the guy smash the record!!!!!