Trent Edwards

Guest dog14787

I don't know what's with this little "newsflash" thing in this thread, but I think I'll abstain from it.

Anyway, I'm not sure what players or teams you've been watching to make some of these comments. Please enlighten me as to what game you watched that showed you that Trent Edwards "can make the throws", because I haven't seen it. And blame the o-line all you want, but a brief check of my post history will give you all the fodder you need to toss that excuse out the window. The passing game falls on the shoulders of the QB...period. You can honestly say that an even swap of Flacco for Edwards would yield the same results for each team? Hah! And the point about the running backs is utterly useless, as I'm fairly certain that the combination of Lynch and Jackson is every bit as capable as the combination of Rice and McGahee.

So go ahead and call the arm strength argument a joke all you want, but it's for real. Look no further than the very QB you mentioned, JP Losman. I say again that Trent Edwards has never come close to producing the way that JP did in 2006 (~3,000 yards, 19 TDs, 14 INTs), and JP was NOT good.

Hope that clears things up for you. If not, just pretend I put "newsflash" at the beginning and it should make things obvious.

sorry, you didn't sense the sarcasm on another "newflash". anyway, look at the throws trent was able to make when he wasn't running for his life. I don't know what team YOU watched, but when he RARELY got time to make a throw, he could (vs. TB the only team our line could block- long TD's to Lee and TO). Trent has made long throws in the past. He just needs a coach who has confidence in him and tells him to air it out, and a line that can hold for more than 1 second. Arm strength in the NFL is not a priority. Sorry, it's just not. JP could throw it 9 miles but was one of the biggest busts of all time for us. To comment on JP's 19 TD season, he had a decent line. Weird, right?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minus the funny. He's got a predictable legion of people "in on it" too if you notice. Notable among his cadre, justnzane.

Yawn.

first off, !@#$ off. Just because I have a contrarian view, doesn't make me a horrible person. Now, what is the worst that could happen for the Bills if they start TE? He wasn't and can't be much worse than Frying Ritzpatrick

Does anyone else think it's possible that TE may be suffering from Post Concussion Syndrome? It happens. He has taken some major hits and was never the same after he was out last year with a major concussion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-concussion_syndrome

That is about the only legit thing I can think of that would keep him out. But if this is the case, he should be deactivated altogether. Not listed as 2nd string. Just my $.02

How many of the games that Flacco "won" were won by his defense? Hell Trent Dilfer won a superbowl with that team. LOL! You are comparing watermelons to peas.

Actually, Flacco is a huge part of the Ravens winning. The team went 5-11 the year before Flacco was drafted. The very next season, with rookie Joe Flacco as the starter, they go 13-6 making it to the afc championship. The comparison to Edwards is ridiculous. Edwards has never won anywhere and has lost his team, his coaching staff, and his job (to Ryan Fitzpatrick?).

That Ravens defense is far from all-time anymore. They are solid still but not even close to that superbowl defense.

Actually, Flacco is a huge part of the Ravens winning. The team went 5-11 the year before Flacco was drafted. The very next season, with rookie Joe Flacco as the starter, they go 13-6 making it to the afc championship. The comparison to Edwards is ridiculous. Edwards has never won anywhere and has lost his team, his coaching staff, and his job (to Ryan Fitzpatrick?).

That Ravens defense is far from all-time anymore. They are solid still but not even close to that superbowl defense.

What else changed from the 5-11 season and when Flacco took over? Come on this isn't hard...

THE ENTIRE COACHING STAFF....

Nuff said.

What else changed from the 5-11 season and when Flacco took over? Come on this isn't hard...

Nuff said.

Child Please. If you want to make a case that Flacco and Edwards are comparable players, go right ahead. I was just trying to restore a little credibility back into this thread.

Bills fans are torn on who is better, Fitzy or Edwards. That's downright pitiful. Flacco was the rookie of the year last year and the first rookie QB to win two playoff games. I suppose you think Evans is comparable to Andre Johnson as well.

Trent had some great games before he had his head dislodged by Adrian Wilson. He even had some decent games after he came out of the ether. He managed to ring up 52 on the road in KC, and led the Bills to a road win in Denver.

I think he is still recovering from that. I don't know if he ever will. He reminds me of Rick Ankiel, the Cardinals pitcher who lost the ability to throw strikes. Or Chuck Knoblach, or Steve Sax. I don't know if he'll ever get right.

I do know that he had some skills, and seemed to have leadership ability. But brain injuries can ruin careers.

I was at the game in KC, and noticed when Trent came out for the coin toss he was smiling and looked like a happy camper. Maybe they have just shut him down till he's 100%.

Nuff said.

The head coach or the wizard of oz, GM Ozzie Newsome hired Cam Cameron as the Ravens OC. You know the same guy who was OC for the Chargers under Marty when they went 13-3.

The fullback Le'Ron McClain was their leading rusher last season in Baltimore with Willis McGahee and Ray Rice.

The Ravens were a (509) run first, pass second (428) offense last season

You guys gotta understand that the morons that used to coach the Bills try and make the QB win every game ...instead of supporting him to help him make plays.

A better O line would mean a better running game which would allow the team to run first and use play action to set up the passing game.

This last game against KC gives me hope that Fewell gets the fact that establishing a running game helps the QB immensely.

Leave Edwards on the bench, he has taken enough beatings this season.

first off, !@#$ off. Just because I have a contrarian view, doesn't make me a horrible person. Now, what is the worst that could happen for the Bills if they start TE? He wasn't and can't be much worse than Frying Ritzpatrick

I didn't call you horrible but thanks for showing that you are.

sorry, you didn't sense the sarcasm on another "newflash". anyway, look at the throws trent was able to make when he wasn't running for his life. I don't know what team YOU watched, but when he RARELY got time to make a throw, he could (vs. TB the only team our line could block- long TD's to Lee and TO). Trent has made long throws in the past. He just needs a coach who has confidence in him and tells him to air it out, and a line that can hold for more than 1 second. Arm strength in the NFL is not a priority. Sorry, it's just not. JP could throw it 9 miles but was one of the biggest busts of all time for us. To comment on JP's 19 TD season, he had a decent line. Weird, right?

I'm not willing to say that two throws against TB (the 26th ranked pass defense in the NFL) constitutes an ability to make the throws. If it does, that how can we not say the same about Fitzpatrick, who (playing with a more banged-up version of the same crappy line that protected Edwards against TB) was able to burn Jacksonville and Miami (better defenses) with long bombs to T.O.? It's not about the protection. If it were, wouldn't Mark Sanchez be a great QB? Here, check out the performances of some of the most sacked QBs in the game:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?sea...mp;d-447263-n=1

I see names like Rogers, Roethlisberger, Romo, Favre, and McNabb all in the top 10. Know what they have in common? They all direct passing offenses that rank in the top 12 in the NFL:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...;seasonType=REG

I watch the Bills every week. I've been to every home game for 22 years (with one exception--this year's Cleveland game...lucky me!). As many fans, media-types, and players on the team have said: there are plenty of plays in which Edwards had time to throw, and simply couldn't or wouldn't get the ball to a WR. The whole "he doesn't even get 1 second" argument is garbage. On most passing plays, he gets plenty of time, but he's indecisive and/or gun-shy. Chalk it up to confidence if you want, but the guy simply can't make the throws.

Flacco, by contrast, is a gunslinger. He has a much, much better arm than Edwards and it shows. In fact, put simply, he's just a better passer. When you watch him, the ball comes out quicker, gets to the receiver quicker, and he's more accurate (63.4 % passing vs. Edwards' 60.2) despite the fact that he throws more deep balls and far fewer check downs (7.3 YPA vs. Edwards' 6.5). He's also thrown only 4 more interceptions, depsite starting 6 more games than Edwards. Think about it: can you ever recall seeing Derrick Mason have to stop and wait for the ball on an out-route the way that Evans, T.O., or Josh Reed have to? It's not even close between the two players

And P.S., that "decent" line that Losman played behind in 2006 gave up 47 sacks (2.938 sacks per game), almost identical to the total that this season's incredibly inept line is on pace to allow (2.923). Weird, right?

1.) Trent did not regress. He was never any good to begin with.

2.) It does not matter what fans think about who is better. His teammates have no faith in him and do not want him on the field.

Trent is done in Buffalo and the NFL.

Next.

Really,ya think so?.Seems like people forgot about those forth quarter comebacks before the Arizona games last season,that showed Trent IS a capable quarterback in the NFL.So will we all be happy when he is cut in the offseason and signed by the Pats and Bill Bellicheat to back up Brady?I think not. :thumbsup:

Guts? What do you mean by that? He stands in the pocket and takes hits to make throws at the last second. I truly believe DJ coached him to be captian checkdown. There is no telling what a better HC and OC would do for his confidence and decision making.

Guts.... letting a route develop before checking off of it. Guts... seeing your WR singled up and audibling into a play to take advantage of that. Throwing the ball on time to a receiver 20 yards down the field so that they can make a play on it. Maybe Edwards did have too much Jauron in his ear that he would rather flame out with a whimper rather gamble to make some plays.

Really,ya think so?.Seems like people forgot about those forth quarter comebacks before the Arizona games last season,that showed Trent IS a capable quarterback in the NFL.So will we all be happy when he is cut in the offseason and signed by the Pats and Bill Bellicheat to back up Brady?I think not. :thumbsup:

Trent Edwards will be backing up Losman in the UFL next season...

And P.S., that "decent" line that Losman played behind in 2006 gave up 47 sacks (2.938 sacks per game), almost identical to the total that this season's incredibly inept line is on pace to allow (2.923). Weird, right?

You beat me to it. I don't recall that 2006 line being very good.

Child Please. If you want to make a case that Flacco and Edwards are comparable players, go right ahead. I was just trying to restore a little credibility back into this thread.

Bills fans are torn on who is better, Fitzy or Edwards. That's downright pitiful. Flacco was the rookie of the year last year and the first rookie QB to win two playoff games. I suppose you think Evans is comparable to Andre Johnson as well.

Ok... I'm a child because you disagree? LOL! So many people out there point the finger in one place rather than looking at the entire picture. I'm not saying FLAK-O is better or worse than TE. I'm saying he had the talent around him which gave him a "chance" to succeed. One player doesn't make a team great...there are many other pieces that have to be in place in order for success to come through. So stop giving FLAKE-O all the glory for Baltimore’s good season last year. He didn't do it alone. Ben Rothlisberger won a super bowl his second year...was it because he was better than Tom Brady? LOL man wake up and smell what you are shoveling.

So leading comeback wins against the 5-11 Raiders (24th in the NFL in total defense) and the 2-14 Rams (31st in the NFL in total defense) means that "Trent IS a capable quarterback in the NFL"?

Or perhaps you were referring to his stirring performance against 5-11 Jacksonville, who ranked 21st in the NFL in defense?

Awesome.

I'm sure Belichick has him on speed dial.

I'm not willing to say that two throws against TB (the 26th ranked pass defense in the NFL) constitutes an ability to make the throws. If it does, that how can we not say the same about Fitzpatrick, who (playing with a more banged-up version of the same crappy line that protected Edwards against TB) was able to burn Jacksonville and Miami (better defenses) with long bombs to T.O.? It's not about the protection. If it were, wouldn't Mark Sanchez be a great QB? Here, check out the performances of some of the most sacked QBs in the game:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?sea...mp;d-447263-n=1

I see names like Rogers, Roethlisberger, Romo, Favre, and McNabb all in the top 10. Know what they have in common? They all direct passing offenses that rank in the top 12 in the NFL:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...;seasonType=REG

I watch the Bills every week. I've been to every home game for 22 years (with one exception--this year's Cleveland game...lucky me!). As many fans, media-types, and players on the team have said: there are plenty of plays in which Edwards had time to throw, and simply couldn't or wouldn't get the ball to a WR. The whole "he doesn't even get 1 second" argument is garbage. On most passing plays, he gets plenty of time, but he's indecisive and/or gun-shy. Chalk it up to confidence if you want, but the guy simply can't make the throws.

Flacco, by contrast, is a gunslinger. He has a much, much better arm than Edwards and it shows. In fact, put simply, he's just a better passer. When you watch him, the ball comes out quicker, gets to the receiver quicker, and he's more accurate (63.4 % passing vs. Edwards' 60.2) despite the fact that he throws more deep balls and far fewer check downs (7.3 YPA vs. Edwards' 6.5). He's also thrown only 4 more interceptions, depsite starting 6 more games than Edwards. Think about it: can you ever recall seeing Derrick Mason have to stop and wait for the ball on an out-route the way that Evans, T.O., or Josh Reed have to? It's not even close between the two players

Flacco is a star in the making. He's cool calm and has a true rifle for an arm (puts JPL to shame) and is accurate. I wouldn't call him a gunslinger, though. Not his style.

TE's psyche is fried. He has lost all confidence. he neds to be a backup for a while and get his sack refilled.

JPL's mythical 2006 season is simply that. You can count all his "long bombs" without taking off your shoes. His sack total was mainly due to his inablility to get rid of the ball and/or his total lack of actual mobility (running around in circles or running backwards behind the line of scrimmage dosn't equal "great scrambler"). There seemed to be no evidence he played football at even the college level. Cringe inducing with every snap.

Guest dog14787
Flacco is a star in the making. He's cool calm and has a true rifle for an arm (puts JPL to shame) and is accurate. I wouldn't call him a gunslinger, though. Not his style.

TE's psyche is fried. He has lost all confidence. he neds to be a backup for a while and get his sack refilled.

JPL's mythical 2006 season is simply that. You can count all his "long bombs" without taking off your shoes. His sack total was mainly due to his inablility to get rid of the ball and/or his total lack of actual mobility (running around in circles or running backwards behind the line of scrimmage dosn't equal "great scrambler"). There seemed to be no evidence he played football at even the college level. Cringe inducing with every snap.

I keep hearing TE has lost his confidence when the only thing he may have lost confidence in is the Bills inexperienced O-line. In my opinion TE shows zero fear in the pocket (if you can call it a pocket) and the only reason TE dumps the ball off is because its all he has time to do 75% of the time. QB's don't have eyes in the back of their head and their internal clock gets sped up when constantly sacked and pressured so even when he does have time to throw, he thinks he doesn't. Now the same thing is occurring with Ryan Fitzpatrick and his play has regressed right before our eyes.