Trent Edwards

Guest dog14787

Yeah, still not buying that. Fans fell in love with the long ball when JP was hitting them fogetting that the checkdown or passes 20 yards or less matter... A LOT. Just ask Tom Brady, the Mannings, etc. Now I am not saying that he is anything like them yet, but to state that he's horrible based on the long ball is dumb.

Of course checkdowns matter a lot, nobody has argued that. And nobody is arguing anything based purely on the longball.

The point is that Brady and the Manning, the QBs you mentioned, throw checkdowns WHEN THEY ARE APPROPRIATE and longballs WHEN THEY ARE APPROPRIATE. Whereas Trent has thrown checkdown when they are appropriate and checkdowns when longballs are appropriate.

And for those who remember, JP threw lots and lots of checkdowns. That wasn't his problem.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks assume as much because TE couldn't get the ball down the field, but it takes the proper protection to allow our WR's to run intermediate or long routes.

Our top receivers against the Chiefs as far as receptions go went to our RB's coming out of the backfield, Marshawn and Freddie both had three.

Now if this is the way were going to play, and its probably the way we chould have been playing all along, then Captain Check down is the man for the job.

Captain Checkdown is not this way by design or because TE wants to play this way, he just does the best he can in the time alloted, its as simple as that.

If you listened to the radio broadcasts, over and over you hear Kelso saying as he explains the plays while Trent is in the game, "... and there was a guy open downfileld, I don't know whether Trent didn't see him or what, but Trent chose to hit Marshawn and the Bills get three yards out of it. Fourth and four." Again and again.

Watching TV, you don't get to see whether or not guys are open downfield when Trent throws, but Kelso saw guys open again and again and again.

If you listened to the radio broadcasts, over and over you hear Kelso saying as he explains the plays while Trent is in the game, "... and there was a guy open downfileld, I don't know whether Trent didn't see him or what, but Trent chose to hit Marshawn and the Bills get three yards out of it. Fourth and four." Again and again.

Watching TV, you don't get to see whether or not guys are open downfield when Trent throws, but Kelso saw guys open again and again and again.

This is also glaringly obvious when you are at the game and was pointed out many times on here.

The O-line doesn't have to knock the DL down, just form a pocket and not get shoved up into the QB's face so he can't step into his throw. Top sports analyst speak of having proper passing lanes all the time and I agree with them and respectfully disagree with you, at 6' 1" you cannot see over top of a 6' 3" O-linemen, especially with Defensive players coming in with their hands up and mean while they're throwing your O-line around like rag dolls, it just doesn't work.

You're confusing passing lanes and sight lines. Yes, passing lanes are crucial. Sightlines are created by the QB himself stepping a bit right or left if he needs it, see the much shorter Drew Brees.

Guest dog14787

200 posts on this topic and working on 7,000 views and I'm hoping someone in the media is going to read this and then have the balls to ask the question to someone in authority why this this organization is hell bent on destroying another QB's confidence and reputation.

WTF!!!

Address the damn issue, make a statement, don't just sit on your dumb asses and do nothing. FO, someone in charge, if there is someone in charge! Good grief, All you have to do is read this thread and get a good idea of what everyone is speculating.

How about someone interviewing TE!!!??? :thumbsup:

200 posts on this topic and working on 7,000 views and I'm hoping someone in the media is going to read this and then have the balls to ask the question to someone in authority why this this organization is hell bent on destroying another QB's confidence and reputation.

WTF!!!

Address the damn issue, make a statement, don't just sit on your dumb asses and do nothing. FO, someone in charge, if there is someone in charge! Good grief, All you have to do is read this thread and get a good idea of what everyone is speculating.

How about someone interviewing TE!!!??? :thumbsup:

Yeah, I'm sure the media are all reading this thread and saying, "You know, pretty much everyone else on the thread feels Trent is finished for the year, and they've taken 200 posts to tell him so, and yet, there's something about this guy Dog14787 ..."

Guest dog14787
Yeah, I'm sure the media are all reading this thread and saying, "You know, pretty much everyone else on the thread feels Trent is finished for the year, and they've taken 200 posts to tell him so, and yet, there's something about this guy Dog14787 ..."

Never had 200 posts on a thread I started before, I had to make the 200th post a good one.

Trent Edwards is a better QB then Ryan Fitzpatrick and through 200 posts nobody has proved differently in my opinion.

We have won games despite Fitzpatrick's poor play not because of it and if there's one thing I've learned on this board is most folks would rather stay silent then get ridiculed by other posters. Just because I seemed to be the only one doing most of the arguing doesn't mean TE doesn't have any support.

Somebody Done Somebody wrong song...

Guest dog14787

This is a QB coming back from a concussion, two within twelve months actually. His internal clock is messed up and he speeds through his progressions. Plus you have to be standing in TE's shoes at his elevation to know what he see's and anyone watching from above is just speculating. I'm sure receivers are coming open, but with Edwards speeding through his progressions he looks at them to early and its something he has to play through to correct. Whats kelso say about the protection TE's been getting?

Did you see what Ben Roethlisberger looked like against the Browns? What he has been reduced to, and this is a Championship caliber QB reduced to crap because of a concussion and poor O-line play, the same situation TE faced earlier this season. The only thing you can do is play yourself out of it which is what TE was learning to do and if the folks that run this organization would only have the patients it takes to develop QB properly it would have just been another learning experience for TE and they would move past it. Its just to bad this organization doesn't have a clue when it comes to developing QB's.

Atlanta Falcons would rather pull their starting QB out of the lineup then have him on the playing field without the proper protection, imagine that...

This is a QB coming back from a concussion, two within twelve months actually.

Did you see what Ben Roethlisberger looked like against the Browns? What he has been reduced to, and this is a Championship caliber QB reduced to crap because of a concussion and poor O-line play, the same situation TE faced earlier this season. The only thing you can do is play yourself out of it which is what TE was learning to do and if the folks that run this organization would only have the patients it takes to develop QB properly it would have just been another learning experience for TE and they would move past it. Its just to bad this organization doesn't have a clue when it comes to developing QB's.

Good to know you aren't just a JP apologist, but a QB apologist in general.

So who watched the Indy game last night? If TE is Captain Checkdown, then Peyton must be the General. He threw just one ball deep all night. It was caught for a 65 yard TD. He checked down to the tight end and running backs all night long. Dink, Dink, Dink. Win!! One HUGE difference between him and Edwards --- Manning - 12 years in the NFL with ONE OC. Edwards - 5 head coaches and 6 OCs in 7 years of football since high school.

And how about Jimbos comments yesterday:

"... when you’re shorthanded on the offensive line due to injuries it compromises the effectiveness of Ryan Fitzpatrick. He’s dropping back and he doesn’t have an opportunity to read defensive coverages because his focus is drawn more to the defender that may not be blocked. As a quarterback you have to focus on the coverage, but when you don’t have time to do that it makes it real tough and your confidence level can take a hit.

The thought process has to be a lot quicker for the signal caller and the receivers have to get into their routes quicker and the quarterback has to get rid of the ball quicker and eventually the entire timing of the offense is off and finding a rhythm in the passing game becomes near impossible. There hasn’t been a whole lot of comfort back there in that pocket."

Did he selectively forget that Edwards played behind that OL also? Manning has TIME! Fittz has marginal talent. Edwards has tons of talent, but they need time.

Nope. Did you forget:

Edwards - 21 sacks in 6 games

Fitzpatrick - 17 sacks in 7 games

Guest dog14787
Nope. Did you forget:

Edwards - 21 sacks in 6 games

Fitzpatrick - 17 sacks in 7 games

Fitzpatrick is a turnover machine almost doubling his interception to TD ratio and we all know it should be worse.

Guest dog14787
You're confusing passing lanes and sight lines. Yes, passing lanes are crucial. Sightlines are created by the QB himself stepping a bit right or left if he needs it, see the much shorter Drew Brees.

and you don't think having severe problem in O-line protection negates the move left move right a little to get a sightline when the linemen are getting blown off the line of scrimmage like a hand grenade went off and your running for your life half the time and you can't even step into your throw as the pocket collapses around you. Good grief, get real, it disrupts everything especially the QB who's trying to look down field at the same time all hells breaking loose.

Fitzpatrick is a turnover machine almost doubling his interception to TD ratio and we all know it should be worse.

Accuracy is probably Fitzpatrick's biggest downside.

But at least he is trying to win, and is a leader on the team. Can't say that about Trent "Not a Bills fan" Edwards.

Guest dog14787
Accuracy is probably Fitzpatrick's biggest downside.

But at least he is trying to win, and is a leader on the team. Can't say that about Trent "Not a Bills fan" Edwards.

See, now is that's the best argument you guys have isn't it, something pulled out of context unfairly and repeated over and over again.

Leader at what, catering to T.O., whatever, T.O. is gone in a couple of weeks and good riddance.

We have won games despite Fitzpatrick's poor play not because of it

Come on. Fitz' play had a huge impact on the Fish win. That 49 yarder to TO or whatever it was pretty much iced that game for us. Everyone in the stadium including me was expecting with 3:00 to go and a 3 point lead to run, run, run. Fitz noticed the single coverage on TO and went for it and delivered a perfect pass. Game over. The 98 yarder to TO was huge in that win as was the 31 yard TD run from scrimmage. Both Bills franchise records. One of those performances (in a win) was for more yards than Trent's ever thrown for as a Bill.

Fitz has his weaknesses for sure. But to say he has not contributed in the wins and the team wins "despite" him is just plain silly. Come on, you know better than that.

With Fitz 4-2

With Trent 1-6

Same team. Same line.

Guest dog14787
Come on. Fitz' play had a huge impact on the Fish win. That 49 yarder to TO or whatever it was pretty much iced that game for us. Everyone in the stadium including me was expecting with 3:00 to go and a 3 point lead to run, run, run. Fitz noticed the single coverage on TO and went for it and delivered a perfect pass. Game over. The 98 yarder to TO was huge in that win as was the 31 yard TD run from scrimmage. Both Bills franchise records. One of those performances (in a win) was for more yards than Trent's ever thrown for as a Bill.

Fitz has his weaknesses for sure. But to say he has not contributed in the wins and the team wins "despite" him is just plain silly. Come on, you know better than that.

With Fitz 4-2

With Trent 1-6

Same team. Same line.

So you want to give TE a loss for the same game you give Fitz a win on and Fitz has 3 losses last I checked, brilliant.

So you want to give TE a loss for the same game you give Fitz a win on and Fitz has 3 losses last I checked, brilliant.

OK, I was a little wrong. Sorry. But I don't see how you think I give Fitz a W and Trent an L for the same game. 4 + 3 + 1 + 5 = 13. Number of games we've played so far. Here's how I figure and help me out if I'm wrong.

Trent

W - Bucs (1)

L - Patsies*, Saints, Fish, Clowns, Titans (5)

Fitz

W - Jets, Panthers, Fish, Chiefs (4)

L - Jets, Jaguars Texans (3)

Still I'll take 4-3 over 1-5 anyday.

Now, what about the rest of my post?

Guest dog14787
OK, I was a little wrong. Sorry. But I don't see how you think I give Fitz a W and Trent an L for the same game. 4 + 3 + 1 + 5 = 13. Number of games we've played so far. Here's how I figure and help me out if I'm wrong.

Trent

W - Bucs (1)

L - Patsies*, Saints, Fish, Clowns, Titans (5)

Fitz

W - Jets, Panthers, Fish, Chiefs (4)

L - Jets, Jaguars Texans (3)

Still I'll take 4-3 over 1-5 anyday.

Now, what about the rest of my post?

Then take into account TE should have beat the Patriots and 2 of Fitz's wins he didn't play well and probably shouldn't have won and all of the sudden Fitz doesn't look all that great, 6 turnovers in one game by our defense and Fitz throws for a whopping 85 yards in the other, but hey, just keep kidding yourself.

See, now is that's the best argument you guys have isn't it, something pulled out of context unfairly and repeated over and over again.

Leader at what, catering to T.O., whatever, T.O. is gone in a couple of weeks and good riddance.

You are right, TO will be gone in a few weeks.

And you can attempt to spin it however you want, but it will still not dispute the facts.

Back in June, even before the team gathered for training camp, not a single player described Edwards as a leader.

Got that? NOT A SINGLE PLAYER DESCRIBED EDWARDS AS A LEADER.

Not Evans.

Not Whitner.

Not Lynch.

Not Stroud.

Not Josh Reed.

Not Schobel.

Etc ...

After TO leaves, what will be your excuse be when the remaining players still say Trent Edwards is not a leader?