For everyone who asks "Is the game online?"

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is actually something Congress should be involved in. Making laws to protect property is one of the few things they are supposed to be doing.

But they generally don't get involved unless they are nudged by a bribe, er, I mean a Lobby!

Yeah but it's funny how they generally only seem to care when it is a large, wealthy organization having it's property rights infringed on.

Oh, they care about infringing on the property rights of ordiniary citizens too. Of course, in those cases the government is the one doing the infringing. Just ask Susette Kelo.

Congress gets invloved in sports "piracy"

Not a lot of info in this article, other than Congress is getting involved. (You know who they will side with.) I think we all know it was too good to last. What I say is why aren't more sports leagues a) making their games available online, and b) not charge an arm and a leg for the privilege? The NHL wants almost as much as the charge for Center Ice for their online service. The NFL only offers it to viewers outside North America. At least Major League Baseball has a somewhat reasonable package.

PTR

not much they can do when the sites are hosted outside the country

if they crack down on broadcast piracy (not really the right term since its really just online broadcasting rather than downloading NFL property to own) they also better make sure that games are more widely available through legal means without gouging the public or requiring changing cable carriers

I wouldnt get too anxious. When Napster shut down, millions of people didnt suddenly start paying for music. There's always a clever person out ther who will figure it out

This. Live video isn't going anywhere, and sites that provide this service have far more legal reasons for existing than Napster or PirateBay ever did. I would say the majority of the files or trackers on Napster/PirateBay were illegal in some way. For sites like Justin.tv, the illegal broadcasts are probably in the minority.

if they crack down on broadcast piracy (not really the right term since its really just online broadcasting rather than downloading NFL property to own)

The term piracy is used broadly. For example it is considered piracy when people watch DirectTV, Dish Network, or Cable with the "magic black boxes".

Guest dog14787
If you're only concerned about Congress getting involved in sports, you better start paying attention to what they're trying to do with the rest of your life.

Owning a firearm in the United States may one day become next to impossible for the average Joe. Its to bad the underworld will still be able to gain access to firearms illegally. Here's an interesting blog for folks to read.

http://reasontraditionandliberty.blogspot....-bear-arms.html

“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”

~George Washington

Owning a firearm in the United States may one day become next to impossible for the average Joe. Its to bad the underworld will still be able to gain access to firearms illegally. Here's an interesting blog for folks to read.

http://reasontraditionandliberty.blogspot....-bear-arms.html

“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”

~George Washington

Good quote. :rolleyes:

Back to the topic of the thread. I wouldn't be too concerned. As other posters have commented, if the site is hosted outside of the Country there isn't much that can be done...yet....

~George Washington

Times change. This doesn't necessarily mean Georgie would think this best in 2009.

You already have to pay the NFL if you want the radio broadcasts for your team, so I wouldn't think it would be too God-awful hard to do this for the video feed.

I would think DTV would have a problem with this, however. Since they're in cahoots with the NFL on the Sunday Ticket, would they lose some business if the video streams were offered online by nfl.com?

Sorry: MAKE THAT www.97rock.com

~George Washington

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

-Josef Stalin

Congress gets invloved in sports "piracy"

Not a lot of info in this article, other than Congress is getting involved. (You know who they will side with.) I think we all know it was too good to last. What I say is why aren't more sports leagues a) making their games available online, and b) not charge an arm and a leg for the privilege? The NHL wants almost as much as the charge for Center Ice for their online service. The NFL only offers it to viewers outside North America. At least Major League Baseball has a somewhat reasonable package.

PTR

Promo, as a guy who lives outside North America, I can tell you that that deal is old news. You guys in North America now have the advantage, by far.

Don't remember how much it costs, but you guys have access to NFL Game Rewind. It's only available in the U.S., so Canadians are screwed too. Just go to nfl.com and look for NFL Game Rewind in the blue area at the very bottom of the page. But it's fairly cheap for being able to see every single game. I personally can't even see the web page. I get a warning that it's only available in the U.S.

Whereas we non-North Americans (I live in Tokyo), have to pay $279.99 to watch them all. Though it's now down to $139.99 because the season is almost over.

https://gamepass.nfl.com/nflgp/secure/registerform

You guys are the lucky ones.