Polian weighs in on Tebow

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the greatest talent evaluators in football, Bill Polian, says that he doesn't think Tebow will cut it as a QB in the NFL. He thinks some team can use him in the wildcat formation but he is not a prototypical NFL QB. Does Polian's opinion change your mind on drafting Tebow?

actually, as much as i love polian and believe he is hte best GM in the NFL, this is the one area i don't per se agree with him. the one thing he has never proved is that he can draft a good QB. he inherited Jimbo and Peyton, and when he did draft with the panthers it was kerry collins who is "eh" at best.

i'd trust someone like Holmgren weighing in on Tebow.

One of the greatest talent evaluators in football, Bill Polian, says that he doesn't think Tebow will cut it as a QB in the NFL. He thinks some team can use him in the wildcat formation but he is not a prototypical NFL QB. Does Polian's opinion change your mind on drafting Tebow?

no, I wouldn't draft Tebow anyway. He may turn out to be the next Montana but until that moment his strengths don't translate to being a NFL Qb and his weaknesses don't translate to being a good one either.

actually, as much as i love polian and believe he is hte best GM in the NFL, this is the one area i don't per se agree with him. the one thing he has never proved is that he can draft a good QB. he inherited Jimbo and Peyton, and when he did draft with the panthers it was kerry collins who is "eh" at best.

I would like to Suh weigh in on Tebow.

Actually RP, you're in error. Polian did not inherit Peyton Manning. Polian was hired by the Colts at the end of the 1997 season and in his first draft in April of 1998, he drafted Peyton Manning first overall. There was a very real debate at the time as to whether Manning or Ryan Leaf would be the better pro quarterback. Polian nailed it.

I am sure Polian is gonna give his opinion about any player in the upcoming draft at all...I am sure he wouldnt lie at all at this time..lol..Watch him pick him in...Like I said before..Take Polian out one night give him the truth serum and ask him who he would draft qb wise this yr and draft him.....HE doesnt miss....

That about sums it up right there. Don't listen to a word anyone says from someone who is has a big hand in his team's draft next spring. A famous, and fast-becoming nauseating, story down here in South Florida is how in 1983 Don Shula kept talking about how Dan Marino was the worst QB prospect to anyone who would listen, in order for Marino to fall to the Dolphins at #27. Sure enough....

I'm not opposed to Tebow at all, unless he is chosen over Jake Locker.

Danny Weurfel

Jesse Palmer

Rex Grossman

Chris Leak

Tim Tebow

Florida Quarterbacks never pan out in the NFL......all about the system...

When it comes to the draft I don't take any GM's word for it...remember that INDY drafts low historically in the past decade. Maybe he would be a great pick late 1st or 2nd round? I think Bill Polian is a top 3 GM and if he is sincere then

I would definitely depend on his infinite football wisdom, but like I said Bill Polian may like to pick up Tebow for the future after Peyton Manning.

No, his horrid perfromance last week did. :thumbsup:

Danny Weurfel

Jesse Palmer

Rex Grossman

Chris Leak

Tim Tebow

Florida Quarterbacks never pan out in the NFL......all about the system...

That would be a valid statement if you weren't comparing QBs from 2 completely different systems.

Wuerfel, Palmer, and Grossman all played under the Steve Spurrier/Ron Zook fun-and-gun offense, while Leak and Tebow played in Urban Meyer's spread option attack.

A more accurate comparison of Tebow's college-to-NFL transition (as has been mentioned on this board) would be San Francisco's Alex Smith, who played in Meyer's spread option at Utah. While Tebow is probably more gifted athletically than Smith, they have sort of the same game and style of play.

Smith, while he strtuggled through 3 seasons and 4 offensive coordinators, appears to have pulled it together this season. Since coming on in relief of Shaun Hill in week 7 vs. Houston, Smith has gone 2-4 (not including the Houston game--Hill is on the hook for that one) with losses to the Colts, Titans, and Packers (3 teams playing among the best football in the league right now) and has the following passing numbers:

149/241 (61.8%), 1,577 yds, 13 TDs, 7 INTs, QBR 86.7.

He's also been pummeled for 14 sacks during his 6-game starting stretch (just as a basis for comparison, Buffalo has given up 17 over this same amount of time).

I know it's not exactly world-beating, but he's got folks in SF convinced that he's turned the corner--so much so that they probably won't draft a QB next April.

I still believe that--if a guy like Smith can round into form in this league--while it will take some time, Tebow is totally capable of playing QB in the NFL, provided he goes to the right coach that's willing to allow him to develop.

Actually RP, you're in error. Polian did not inherit Peyton Manning. Polian was hired by the Colts at the end of the 1997 season and in his first draft in April of 1998, he drafted Peyton Manning first overall. There was a very real debate at the time as to whether Manning or Ryan Leaf would be the better pro quarterback. Polian nailed it.

He is also the guy who brought Kelly to Buffalo from the USFL.

No, because I have never been in favor of drafting him as a QB.