Are the Bills even looking for a new GM/President

Maddog69

I am really surprised/disappointed that we have not heard any reports at all about the Bills considering potential front office candidates. We all heard about the big name coaching candidates and the national press's scoffing at the idea of any of them coming here. I wish the Bills would begin (if they haven't already been doing it behind the scenes) to start thinking about candidates to run the whole show.

I know we will probably have to wait until the season is over for everything to settle out. I am just surprised that there haven't been any whispers at all.

I hear crickets at One Bills Drive on this issue...

That's not an overall poor strategy. They wanted to get a leg up on the big names that they will likely be competing for. Shanahan bit, the other guys (Holmgren, Cowher, Gruden) turned them down. If Ralph is serious about it and he misses out on those guys then the Reese's and the Casserly's of the world will be available.

Guest dog14787
I am really surprised/disappointed that we have not heard any reports at all about the Bills considering potential front office candidates. We all heard about the big name coaching candidates and the national press's scoffing at the idea of any of them coming here. I wish the Bills would begin (if they haven't already been doing it behind the scenes) to start thinking about candidates to run the whole show.

I know we will probably have to wait until the season is over for everything to settle out. I am just surprised that there haven't been any whispers at all.

Possibly more wishful thinking then anything, But I feel like Mike Shanahan might be on the horizon...

What GM's would you have them interview? Casserly and Ron Wolfe are retired. Maybe they do the consultant thing but neither were interested in GM positions last year. All the others are currently working with their teams along with their assistants. Besides noone would interview for a job while Modrak and Guy are still employed. The first or second week after the season is when all the action will occur unless they are resigned to getting another coordinator from a playoff team ie. Grimm or the DC in Minnessota. Yes they can interview those guys in the first week after the season even if their team is in the playoffs but it almost never ends up in a hire that I can remember.

And exactly why are the Bill's under some obligation to report what's going on?? Just casue you've not heard anything means nothing. Two weeks ago everyone was up in arms that the Bills hadn't talked to Shannahan yet. Two days later it was reported that RB met with him two days prior. Who released the info afterwards who knows, but the meeting took place with no one knowing, so basically you nor anyone else around here has no idea what is really going on. The smartest thing the Bills can do is report nothing of their intentions or what they are doing!

That's not an overall poor strategy. They wanted to get a leg up on the big names that they will likely be competing for. Shanahan bit, the other guys (Holmgren, Cowher, Gruden) turned them down. If Ralph is serious about it and he misses out on those guys then the Reese's and the Casserly's of the world will be available.

You have to be careful about qualifying what the Bills aren't doing as strategy. It's more like they aren't saying what they intend to do with regard to a GM. At this point it is AT LEAST as likely that Brandon, Modrak and Guy will not be held accountable for the mess at all and it will just be a new HC and or coaching staff change.

What GM's would you have them interview? Casserly and Ron Wolfe are retired. Maybe they do the consultant thing but neither were interested in GM positions last year. All the others are currently working with their teams along with their assistants. Besides noone would interview for a job while Modrak and Guy are still employed. The first or second week after the season is when all the action will occur unless they are resigned to getting another coordinator from a playoff team ie. Grimm or the DC in Minnessota. Yes they can interview those guys in the first week after the season even if their team is in the playoffs but it almost never ends up in a hire that I can remember.

Again, I know they probably cannot hire anyone now, but I am just surprised there haven't been more leaks about potential interest in this guy or that guy. I read that Seattle hired a search firm to help them find a new GM. Maybe we haven't done that because we don't officially have an open position. Who knows. Maybe there are discussion going on that are being kept quiet and maybe there aren't.

Maybe I am just bored and don't want to wait. Oh well. Only 4 weeks to go and then the fun begins.

You have to be careful about qualifying what the Bills aren't doing as strategy. It's more like they aren't saying what they intend to do with regard to a GM. At this point it is AT LEAST as likely that Brandon, Modrak and Guy will not be held accountable for the mess at all and it will just be a new HC and or coaching staff change.

The only one of those 3 that I expect to still be employed by the Bills in 2 months is Brandon. Modrak and Guy have to walk the plank. The just cannot survive this season.

And exactly why are the Bill's under some obligation to report what's going on?? Just casue you've not heard anything means nothing. Two weeks ago everyone was up in arms that the Bills hadn't talked to Shannahan yet. Two days later it was reported that RB met with him two days prior. Who released the info afterwards who knows, but the meeting took place with no one knowing, so basically you nor anyone else around here has no idea what is really going on. The smartest thing the Bills can do is report nothing of their intentions or what they are doing!

The Bills need to immediately hire a consultant, like Ron Wolfe to help evaluate team needs and run the GM search.

There is no one in the Bills qualified to even know where to begin, other than to sabotage the entire process so the inner circle jerk stays intact.

The Bills need to immediately hire a consultant, like Ron Wolfe to help evaluate team needs and run the GM search.

There is no one in the Bills qualified to even know where to begin, other than to sabotage the entire process so the inner circle jerk stays intact.

100% agree...Brandon is not the man for this job.

Hopefully the Bills are targeting some #2 GM men around the league who they can't interview until their seasons end.

I think the Bills cannot get permission to interview other NFL team's personnel people until after the season ends. I think (and hope) this is the reason.

It just seems to me our plan to this search is similar to our free agency planning. A throw **** at the wall approach and then make **** up as we go along gameplan. Then Market, Market, Market. Why would anyone want the guy who has run the ship the last two years to run the search for the GM/Coach?

My season tickets next year depend on this.

Anything short of a major change at the top (which means a qualified man runs the football department), will result in me not renewing for next season and my DTV Sunday Ticket will not be needed either.

As long as Brandon is the acting GM this franchise will be a joke. It is actually embarrasing to be a fan of this

The Bills are right where they should be. They've used Shanahan to their best advantage even if he doesn't sign. Everyone knows they have an opening, the parameters around a potential offer have been set, they've shown they are willing to discuss all aspects of the opening. By pursuing Shanahan they've shown the big 5 or 6 that they are willing to negotiate should the time come. You can't make the top 5 or 6 come to you but you can try to entice them which is just what the Bills have done. I'd be concerned if Shanahan or any of the other big names signed now. Why aren't they waiting to see what else is out there. It also means that the Bills wouldn't have explored their options with those GM/coaches that are under contract.

Last I knew the Bills had no obligation to explain to anyone other than Ralph where they are in the process. If the info does "leak" out, it means the Bills have a problem employee inside the org.

I personally would love to see Buffalo go after Steelers' President of Football Operations Kevin Colbert. He's been in charge of their football operations since 2000 and had some excellent drafts. He was also responsible for selecting Mike Tomlin as Head Coach. While his contract runs through 2010, he actually does not hold the title of GM in Pittsburgh. He's from the Pittsburgh area originally, so it's hard to imagine he could be pried away, but for the right amount of $$, and total control over football operations, he could technically be had.

The other guys I'd like to see would be former Raiders' and Buccaneers' GM Bruce Allen (who's father has close ties to Ralph Wilson) and Bears' Chief College Scout Greg Gabriel (who is from the Buffalo area and considered around the league to be an up-and-coming GM candidate), although he may get the job in Chicago if Jerry Angelo is shown the door.

Just my 1 cent.

Like Ron Wolfe, Ernie Accorsi is another guy who could be brought in on retainer to guide the GM search.