Are the Bills even looking for a new GM/President

Maddog69

First off, let me just refer you to Mark Gaughan's article from this week. I don't have a link, you'll have to look it up at Buffalo News.com, but he stated that we should not expect anything coming out of OBD for the next couple of weeks while the Bills plan their next move and set up contacts.

I personally, believe this article. There are only a few weeks left, and there are enough candidates to choose from to not be breaking our necks at this point. Plus, alot of potential candidates may be under contract through this season, and not able to speak with the Bills until the season (and possibly the playoffs) are over.

Next, Gruden was at the top of our list. Then it was Shanahan. Cowher and Holmgren were also approached. The 1 thing all 4 of these men have in common is that they all have been rumored at different points to be interested in the dual coaching/ GM role.

Now, if the Bills want to attract these types, then they would have to start with them, making it all wide open for their arrival.

Should they all decline (Cowher stated he wants to wait, Holmgren flat out refused- I no longer respect him for that- Gruden turned us down but he turned EVERYONE down by sticking to his contract in TV, and Shanahan entertained Brandon in Colorado), then I would assume that our next move would be to start with a top tier GM and allow that GM assemble his staff.

Again, that is a HUGE hope on my part, and I sincerely hope that we go that route. In fact, once Shanahan or Cowher put us on hold, I, for one, would not be sitting still waiting for an answer. I'd moving to Plan B- that of NFL GM.

There are a number of GM's out there too, with proven experience. Two that come to mind are Floyd Reese and Bruce Allen. Ron Wolf is retired, but as others have suggested having him as a "consultant" to help us find the ideal candidate and guide the franchise would not be a bad idea.

What WOULD be a mistake, IMO, should Cowher and Shanahan turn us down for whatever reason, would be to move on to the next best coaching pick, and forget about the front office. As far as I see it, the lack of a true NFL GM, and having Modrak and Guy prove nothing but their supreme suckitude these past 8-9 seasons is the call for their ouster.

One interesting note (and dream, I admit), is that Bill Parcells is not bound to the Miami Dolphins. He has written a book mentioning how Buffalo is the ideal place for football (sorry, don't have a link- was quoting a post on this site)- citing the weather, environment, college atmosphere, fan base, etc.

I don't know if he still feels that way, or would ever actually come to Buffalo, but if I were in charge- that is who I'd be throwing the keys to the kingdom to. Look at that track record...

I hear crickets at One Bills Drive on this issue...

And what are you expecting? A daily briefing on what the Bills are doing and who they are looking at, even though they can't contact anyone who is employed by another team until the end of the season? <_<

PTR

First off, let me just refer you to Mark Gaughan's article from this week. I don't have a link, you'll have to look it up at Buffalo News.com, but he stated that we should not expect anything coming out of OBD for the next couple of weeks while the Bills plan their next move and set up contacts.

I personally, believe this article. There are only a few weeks left, and there are enough candidates to choose from to not be breaking our necks at this point. Plus, alot of potential candidates may be under contract through this season, and not able to speak with the Bills until the season (and possibly the playoffs) are over.

Next, Gruden was at the top of our list. Then it was Shanahan. Cowher and Holmgren were also approached. The 1 thing all 4 of these men have in common is that they all have been rumored at different points to be interested in the dual coaching/ GM role.

Now, if the Bills want to attract these types, then they would have to start with them, making it all wide open for their arrival.

Should they all decline (Cowher stated he wants to wait, Holmgren flat out refused- I no longer respect him for that- Gruden turned us down but he turned EVERYONE down by sticking to his contract in TV, and Shanahan entertained Brandon in Colorado), then I would assume that our next move would be to start with a top tier GM and allow that GM assemble his staff.

Again, that is a HUGE hope on my part, and I sincerely hope that we go that route. In fact, once Shanahan or Cowher put us on hold, I, for one, would not be sitting still waiting for an answer. I'd moving to Plan B- that of NFL GM.

There are a number of GM's out there too, with proven experience. Two that come to mind are Floyd Reese and Bruce Allen. Ron Wolf is retired, but as others have suggested having him as a "consultant" to help us find the ideal candidate and guide the franchise would not be a bad idea.

What WOULD be a mistake, IMO, should Cowher and Shanahan turn us down for whatever reason, would be to move on to the next best coaching pick, and forget about the front office. As far as I see it, the lack of a true NFL GM, and having Modrak and Guy prove nothing but their supreme suckitude these past 8-9 seasons is the call for their ouster.

One interesting note (and dream, I admit), is that Bill Parcells is not bound to the Miami Dolphins. He has written a book mentioning how Buffalo is the ideal place for football (sorry, don't have a link- was quoting a post on this site)- citing the weather, environment, college atmosphere, fan base, etc.

I don't know if he still feels that way, or would ever actually come to Buffalo, but if I were in charge- that is who I'd be throwing the keys to the kingdom to. Look at that track record...

Whoa! Easy there, Cowboy. Too much common sense and clear thinking will give people a brain freeze.

PTR

It just seems to me our plan to this search is similar to our free agency planning. A throw **** at the wall approach and then make **** up as we go along gameplan. Then Market, Market, Market. Why would anyone want the guy who has run the ship the last two years to run the search for the GM/Coach?

There's never been a cohesive strategy at OBD these past few years about team building. It always seemed like they had a new one year plan each year. This is what happens when there's no General Manager in place to build a strategy and keep to it.

A good GM decides what the team is going to be, and then assembles a pro personnel and amateur scouting staff to fit that vision. The Bills stuck it out with Guy and Modrak, which of course brought terrible results. This was compounded by relying on DJ, whose strategy seemed to consist of drafting more DB's.

We were treated to "building consensus" and relying on a two-headed personnel monster for guidance. Some knew 4 years ago it wouldn't work, for others it took 4 years to realize it. And then there are a select few who think it hasn't been given enough time.

I think a fart would have been more to the point. A wet and gaseous fart.

Oh, I can assure that I did consider it.

I wasn't sure how to type for effect...

Clearly '>FART<' would have been too generic that one would be able to choose his own favorite flatulent tune, but '>VRRRREEEEET<' might have been mistaken for some caged gerbil or bird.

Oh, I can assure that I did consider it.

I wasn't sure how to type for effect...

Clearly '>FART<' would have been too generic that one would be able to choose his own favorite flatulent tune, but '>VRRRREEEEET<' might have been mistaken for some caged gerbil or bird.

The onomatopoeiaic dilemma. Understandable.

There's never been a cohesive strategy at OBD these past few years about team building. It always seemed like they had a new one year plan each year. This is what happens when there's no General Manager in place to build a strategy and keep to it.

A good GM decides what the team is going to be, and then assembles a pro personnel and amateur scouting staff to fit that vision. The Bills stuck it out with Guy and Modrak, which of course brought terrible results. This was compounded by relying on DJ, whose strategy seemed to consist of drafting more DB's.

We were treated to "building consensus" and relying on a two-headed personnel monster for guidance. Some knew 4 years ago it wouldn't work, for others it took 4 years to realize it. And then there are a select few who think it hasn't been given enough time.

People like to rag on Brandon but he may be our ace in the hole here. Things were the way they were the last few years because Ralph took over running the team after Donahoe. He consulted with Levy but pretty much did things his way. Now he is looking for help again, and from what I've read Russ Brandon is the point man in the upcoming search.

Most of the venom and pot shots at Brandon have been idiotic, and that includes Jerry Sullivan. Brandon is a pretty smart guy and he knows the Bills need to start winning so he is going to do the best candidate search he can. The good news is that Ralph seems to trust him and may actually leave him to do his job. We can only hope.

PTR

People like to rag on Brandon but he may be our ace in the hole here. Things were the way they were the last few years because Ralph took over running the team after Donahoe. He consulted with Levy but pretty much did things his way. Now he is looking for help again, and from what I've read Russ Brandon is the point man in the upcoming search.

Most of the venom and pot shots at Brandon have been idiotic, and that includes Jerry Sullivan. Brandon is a pretty smart guy and he knows the Bills need to start winning so he is going to do the best candidate search he can. The good news is that Ralph seems to trust him and may actually leave him to do his job. We can only hope.

PTR

YEah, you know, I like to dream- Susan Boyle notwithstanding- but seriously...Parcells is not bound by contract in Miami and can leave any time he chooses...let me perhaps be the 1st in stating...

BRING PARCELLS TO BUFFALO!!!!!

PTR

Would you want your attorney to pick stocks for you? Both of them are probably highly educated people, but not subject matter experts. RB just isn't capable of knowing how to manage personnel for a NFL team.

Brandon isn't an idiot and, but he's not versed in football operations, nor do I expect him to understand what to look for as a replacement.

And if RW really trusted RB to make the big moves consistent with being GM, wouldn't he have allowed RB to fire DJ last December?

Would you want your attorney to pick stocks for you? Both of them are probably highly educated people, but not subject matter experts. RB just isn't capable of knowing how to manage personnel for a NFL team.

Brandon isn't an idiot and, but he's not versed in football operations, nor do I expect him to understand what to look for as a replacement.

And if RW really trusted RB to make the big moves consistent with being GM, wouldn't he have allowed RB to fire DJ last December?

Well who, pray tell, is versed in football at One Bills Drive? Ralph Wilson? You certainly aren't going to let Guy, Modrak or Overdorf make that decision. Brandon may not be Mr. Football but he is a bright guy who hopefully knows how to recognize the qualities needed by the head of an NFL football department. I mean it's Brandon or Ralph Wilson. Who do you prefer?

PTR

Guest dog14787
Well who, pray tell, is versed in football at One Bills Drive? Ralph Wilson? You certainly aren't going to let Guy, Modrak or Overdorf make that decision. Brandon may not be Mr. Football but he is a bright guy who hopefully knows how to recognize the qualities needed by the head of an NFL football department. I mean it's Brandon or Ralph Wilson. Who do you prefer?

PTR

Good grief, your right, as much as Russ Brandon pisses me off who else is supposed to make this decision if not Russ Brandon, a ninety some year old man. (and I love RW)

I have to go cry now...

PTR

It's why myself and others have advocated hiring a consultant to perform the search for them. The Seahawks have done this, and especially in Buffalo where no one is qualified to do this, a consultant is the only option.

Thanks for playing.

The Tuna may not be out of the question.

He as a home in Saratoga Springs, loves the track, and Upstate N.Y.

Sign the Tuna as president of football and GM, get some of his guys to coach,scout and play for the Bills, get the Giants and Jets to go to New Jersey for training camp where they belong, move the Bills camp to U. Albany (so Tuna can be close to the track in July and August) market all of upstate as Bills country and all will be fine. With this "Upstate" stratagy we could even give up the Toronto stratagy and move one home game to the dome in Syracuse to reward our eastern fans.

It just seems to me our plan to this search is similar to our free agency planning. A throw **** at the wall approach and then make **** up as we go along gameplan. Then Market, Market, Market. Why would anyone want the guy who has run the ship the last two years to run the search for the GM/Coach?

You are right on. The real plan is probably... Ralph sucks in the fans by promising to "look" at the entire organization. Based on the threads I am reading, the majority of posters believe a new GM is as important a step as bringing in a new coach. So Ralph sends his pseudo-GM to interview a high profile coaching prospect. I don't know about the rest of you, but when that happened that told me a lot.

Forget about what is said, the action shows that Ralph is only looking for a coach. You don't send your GM to find his replacement. How can anyone still think a new GM could be in the works? Ralph Wilson is the defacto GM of the Bills and will remain so in the future. There is no plan to have "sweeping changes." It's time to face it.

It's why myself and others have advocated hiring a consultant to perform the search for them. The Seahawks have done this, and especially in Buffalo where no one is qualified to do this, a consultant is the only option.

Thanks for playing.

If you don't think he is capable of finding a GM, how can he be trusted to hire a consultant?