Take tebow in the second round?

Tebow is being touted by Kiper and others as a tight end or h-back. Let's look at him as the Bills qb. He is a big and durable guy who can run and scramble, and until we actually pull together an offensive line that can pass block and run block perhaps this is what we want. he may or not develop the technique to be a major passer, but as it stands Sammy Baugh couldn't get a pass off with our offensive line, so it isn't an awfully big problem. A jackson, Lynch Tebow wildcat may be the thing we need next year if we are going to be competitive in the AFC East. Kiper might be right and we might move him to tight end or h-back on down the line, but he might be the person we need during the transition as quarterback. Might be a good idea for the rest of the Bills to shed a tear or two when they get their butts kicked, by the way.

Tebow is being touted by Kiper and others as a tight end or h-back. Let's look at him as the Bills qb. He is a big and durable guy who can run and scramble, and until we actually pull together an offensive line that can pass block and run block perhaps this is what we want. he may or not develop the technique to be a major passer, but as it stands Sammy Baugh couldn't get a pass off with our offensive line, so it isn't an awfully big problem. A jackson, Lynch Tebow wildcat may be the thing we need next year if we are going to be competitive in the AFC East. Kiper might be right and we might move him to tight end or h-back on down the line, but he might be the person we need during the transition as quarterback. Might be a good idea for the rest of the Bills to shed a tear or two when they get their butts kicked, by the way.

Why waste a 2nd round pick on a transitional player?

Seems strange to pick him as QB, spend 2 years teaching him how to run an NFL offense, only to convert him to a TE.

Now you have to teach him how to play that position.

Either pick him to be a TE or as a QB, and spend the time resources to make him the best you can at that position.

I give up if they take Tebow. Other than a Franchise QB this team better start picking players that are not PROJECTS. This team has so many holes that it is almost impossible to figure out who they should draft in the first two rounds.

I think there are 3 QBs worth taking with our 1st pick..Clausen, Bradford and Locker. Cleveland and St. Louis will take two so we hopefully can jump ahead of the Redskins (or maybe Campbell proves his worth for them)

I give up if they take Tebow. Other than a Franchise QB this team better start picking players that are not PROJECTS. This team has so many holes that it is almost impossible to figure out who they should draft in the first two rounds.

Exactly. Unless they are getting Clausen or Locker, they should focus the first 3-4 rounds exclusively on an offensive tackle and the defensive front 7.

I am always amazed at how enamored the board gets with every new crop of college QB's. There are only 3 college QB's I can recall who stepped into new teams and started winning right off: Ben Rothlesberger, Joe Flacco, and Matt Ryan. And oddly none of these guys were the big hype of their draft classes. Most of the players we get lathered up for rarely pan out in the NFL.

If I were making the call, I would not waste a #1 on a QB. We need more help on the lines. But if a QB is around rd.3 or later I'll take a look. I would prefer a big arm with some experience winning in bad weather. No more southern state or west coast guys, please.

PTR

If you are a college QB and get drafted its because you were one heck of a college QB (with the lone exception being Jamarcus Russel who always sucked). The key is how is that player going to adjust to the NFL game - not exactly project. Of course Tebow wont run that O in the league, so you cant really project him to the NFL in that way, he will have to adjust his game to the NFLs game. Clausen will have it the easiest because of his pro system. Bradford a little bit harder of a time. Locker an even harder time. Tebow the hardest time. But who do you think has the most resiliency and desire to adjust and get it done? Who do you think has every physical tool to get it done? Who has the intangibles to get it done?

Clausen really doesnt have to worry about those physical aspects that much because he has been groomed for 3 years. But you have to wonder about a guy who never won a lot of games, never really brought his team back from behind, etc. I could say the same things about Bradford, because he never really carried his team - his OL and running game did.

IMO Tebow has shown me no reason to doubt that he is not physically capable of changing his style of play, he has show no reason for me to think he will give up if he cant do it right away, and I just have a feeling the guy just wont fail. Whether he is a Bill or not I bet he is a great QB down the road if he is given the chance.

This idea is awesome! Absolutely awesome... this is shrewd thinking around the Tim Tebow piece. Not only shall we draft him and convert him to HB/TE... but prior to doing so, make him a QB for a couple of years first.

We've had a decade of transition QB's time to identify the real one.

Seems strange to pick him as QB, spend 2 years teaching him how to run an NFL offense, only to convert him to a TE.

Either pick him to be a TE or as a QB, and spend the time resources to make him the best you can at that position.

Whats the difference..we waste first round picks regularly why not give it a shot. At least it would be interesting to see what happens..If he sucks whats the difference, nothing new. If he turns out good we have a nice few years to talk about something different

The Rams tried this a few years ago with a Nebraska QB, great in college, great athlete, but not made for the pro game. Eric Crouch also a former Heisman Trophy winner. It failed miserably. He quit before training camp started, bounced around, tried to play WR or Safety, even went to Canada. Mike Martz ruined him before he even put on a helmet. SAY NO to Tebow and SAY NO to Martz.

The Rams tried this a few years ago with a Nebraska QB, great in college, great athlete, but not made for the pro game. It failed so miserably I can't even remember his name. He quit before training camp started, bounced around, tried to play TE or Safety, even went to Canada I think. Mike Martz ruined him before he even put on a helmet. SAY NO to Tebow and SAY NO to Martz.

Eric Crouch. Was a QB, then a WR, then quit football. Tried to comeback as a DB, sucked at that too.

I would definitely not use a first round pick. I'm thinking of Tebow as round 2 or even round 3.

Next year, boys and girls, is going to be a transitional year. The team is not "stupid" as Kyle Williams says...it is just not good and the most critical part, the offensive line...is very bad. A modified wildcat while we build the offensive line concentrating on the run first option is not a bad way to get through the year. Conceivably with coaching Tebow will develop as an NFL qb and as we "transition" he might stay. I happen to think he might do that, but the odds are against it. I can see him moving into the TE position on a pretty good team after the transition year.

Put a "franchise" qb in the mix as a number 1 pick? Surefire disaster, not to mention wasting an opportunity to solidify our defensive line with a legitimate franchise defensive end. Look at the Detroit Lions and Joey Harrington, et. al.

Keep Fitz and Edwards? I don't think so. Neither is in for the long haul. Fitz might be ok in a transition role and is the safest and cheapest bet ( a very pleasant 5-11 record...maybe.)

The passing game presumes a good passing qb, a good pass blocking line, and quality receivers all on the same page. Ain't got that.

In my opinion, a gutsy balls to wall run first offense will do a number of things.

1. Eat up clock

2. Give the defense some time off the field

3. Make the run defense the standard and catch them off gaurd for the occassional pass.

On the other hand, players like TO will whine.

Exactly. Unless they are getting Clausen or Locker, they should focus the first 3-4 rounds exclusively on an offensive tackle and the defensive front 7.

Clausen or Locker wont be there. To many teams need QB's that will be ahead of us. So I agree that we should upgrade the lines by any means they can.

I am always amazed at how enamored the board gets with every new crop of college QB's. There are only 3 college QB's I can recall who stepped into new teams and started winning right off: Ben Rothlesberger, Joe Flacco, and Matt Ryan. And oddly none of these guys were the big hype of their draft classes. Most of the players we get lathered up for rarely pan out in the NFL.

If I were making the call, I would not waste a #1 on a QB. We need more help on the lines. But if a QB is around rd.3 or later I'll take a look. I would prefer a big arm with some experience winning in bad weather. No more southern state or west coast guys, please.

PTR

Ah....a breath of fresh air and reason Mr. R.

There are two rules:

Rule #1)

It all starts,

or stops,

with the offensive line.

If the Bills are not going to get an OL that can pass and run block, then they had better get a QB with a decent arm and big time wheels. So far, the OL has been a MST3K experiment gone off into the nether regions. They've had big, fat, slow slobs and small, light, pushover slobs. Either way, the QBs have been under siege for years and running backs have mostly been trying to find holes where there are only opponents or their own linemen bunched up like giant clumps of beach tar.

Without a solid OL, any quote pocket quarterback unquote, is more than likely to get frustrated, hurried, sacked and concussed, in that order. It makes no sense to throw a franchise quarterback into that particular wood chipper.

Rule #2)

Refer to Rule #1.