The Bills SERIOUSLY need to be careful on this one!

I agree with a lot of Bills fans that last Sunday's schalaquin' of Miami was exciting. In fact, in my opinion, it was the best win of the season. It kind of gave you a hint that the Bills are BACK...

Well, the reality is we are 4-7 and aren't going to the playoffs for a hideous tenth-straight season. There's the rational out there that suggests "If Ryan Fitzpatrick was our starter all year, we'd be "(fill in the optimistic blank)". REALITY: Fitz has been good the last two games, but its just that: TWO GAMES. He's not the future, nor is Edwards, nor Brohm, nor the Chroise (or whatever the hell you call him...) There is not ONE QB on this current roster that this franchise can build around, ZERO!

Its been TEN LONG YEARS since we've been to the dance. In any professional sport: NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, it just plain unacceptable! We like to make fun of teams like the Lions (who've been to the dance since '99) and the eternally low Cardinals (who've multiple times made the playoffs since '99, and were last years NFC champs and were seconds away from winnig the damn thing) and don't forget the lowly Bengals and Saints (do I have to continue?)

The point is, this offseason is THE, THEEEEE most important offseason in team history. With all the talk surrounding Shannahan, Cowher, Gruden, Holmgren, etc., The owner of this football team really needs to sensibly put all of his time, and concern into this coaching decision. He reportedly spent seven hours with Shannahan. Perry Fewell sent a resounding message in Orchard Park, himself, last Sunday, and if he runs the table, you HAVE to consider him for the permanent head coach. Just a side note, and I'm not saying Shannahan is the wrong choice, but we once brought back Marv Levy as our GM...???

The fact is in 2010, we will DEFINITELY see the following:

1. A new starting QB

2. Terrell Owens in a different city.

3. A frickin 3-4 defense for gods sake!

But in 2010, will the new head coach of the Buffalo Bills be...the Right Choice?....or......

.................10 more years of misery???

I wouldn't be suprised if Brohm was the starting QB next year. it's obvious that Green Bay didn't want to give him up since they matched Buffalo's offer. I think that means alot even if he was on the practice squad. Green Bay's Head coach has done wonders with Aaron Rodgers.

I like TO on the team but he is 35. Him starting prevents STevie Johnson and James Hardy from getting on the field.

I am all for a 3-4 defense.

I agree with a lot of Bills fans that last Sunday's schalaquin' of Miami was exciting. In fact, in my opinion, it was the best win of the season. It kind of gave you a hint that the Bills are BACK...

Well, the reality is we are 4-7 and aren't going to the playoffs for a hideous tenth-straight season. There's the rational out there that suggests "If Ryan Fitzpatrick was our starter all year, we'd be "(fill in the optimistic blank)". REALITY: Fitz has been good the last two games, but its just that: TWO GAMES. He's not the future, nor is Edwards, nor Brohm, nor the Chroise (or whatever the hell you call him...) There is not ONE QB on this current roster that this franchise can build around, ZERO!

Its been TEN LONG YEARS since we've been to the dance. In any professional sport: NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, it just plain unacceptable! We like to make fun of teams like the Lions (who've been to the dance since '99) and the eternally low Cardinals (who've multiple times made the playoffs since '99, and were last years NFC champs and were seconds away from winnig the damn thing) and don't forget the lowly Bengals and Saints (do I have to continue?)

The point is, this offseason is THE, THEEEEE most important offseason in team history. With all the talk surrounding Shannahan, Cowher, Gruden, Holmgren, etc., The owner of this football team really needs to sensibly put all of his time, and concern into this coaching decision. He reportedly spent seven hours with Shannahan. Perry Fewell sent a resounding message in Orchard Park, himself, last Sunday, and if he runs the table, you HAVE to consider him for the permanent head coach. Just a side note, and I'm not saying Shannahan is the wrong choice, but we once brought back Marv Levy as our GM...???

1. A new starting QB

But in 2010, will the new head coach of the Buffalo Bills be...the Right Choice?....or......

i want terrell back

The following teams do not play a 3-4:

New Orleans, Minnesota, Indianapolis

The following teams have the best records in the NFL:

Why do we have to go to a 3-4 again?

Drew Brees, Brett Favre, and Peyton Manning may have something to say about that.

The three top defenses - Green Bay, the Jets, and Pittsburgh - all play 3-4s. However, by points, the Bengals and Colts join the 3-4 Cowboys in the top 3, so it's less clear.

Those teams have fantastic offenses! The 3-4 defenses don't carry them. Those teams are Brees, Favre, Manning with noteworthy defenses.

1. A new starting QB

I still think that Ryan is better than the record he has shows. One loss and on win were under a dirtbag for a coach. One loss and one win were under a coach that seems to know what he is doing.

1) Loss and win under the old coach were with shotty numbers at best.

2) Loss and win under new coach have NFL quality QB numbers.

Is it not fair to say give it a few more weeks under Perry and the changes hes made like Putting the real power back, Freddie Jackson as the featured back. Also pulling the trigger on our QB and sitting Trent. Also he has been taking the OL that he has and making them look like up and commings. Just saying

It's not the scheme, it's the players.

Well said. And another factor is the competition. The most important six games of each season are against the AFC East, where the dominant offensive tendancies are to run up the middle and throw short outside. (I realize there are notable exceptions, but I'm stating the trend.) A 3-4 defensive front seven may be advisable because it dictates having a huge run stopper in the middle and spread out linebackers that can better cover the sideline stuff.

Of course, we do not have the players for the change. But we didn't 2, 3, 4 years ago either. My point the team is not adjusting to the competition and needs to start doing it NOW. The smaller, faster defensive players in a Tampa 2 style does not work in the AFC East. That's why we keeping getting thank you notes from Wes Welker.

Drew Brees, Brett Favre, and Peyton Manning may have something to say about that.

The three top defenses - Green Bay, the Jets, and Pittsburgh - all play 3-4s. However, by points, the Bengals and Colts join the 3-4 Cowboys in the top 3, so it's less clear.

Those teams have fantastic offenses! The 3-4 defenses don't carry them. Those teams are Brees, Favre, Manning with noteworthy defenses.

Fair points. Just to add to that, the top 10 defenses either by yards or by points are split 5-5 between 3-4 and 4-3.

Which is why I don't understand the need to go to a 3-4.

Edit: 7 of the top 10 in INTs and 8 of the top 10 in FFs are 4-3s.

I wouldn't be suprised if Brohm was the starting QB next year. it's obvious that Green Bay didn't want to give him up since they matched Buffalo's offer. I think that means alot even if he was on the practice squad. Green Bay's Head coach has done wonders with Aaron Rodgers.

I like TO on the team but he is 35. Him starting prevents STevie Johnson and James Hardy from getting on the field.

I am all for a 3-4 defense.

James hardy prevents himself from getting on the field..the dudes always hurt.

1. A new starting QB

I agree we don't have the starter on the roster (Brohm is the only one with potential but I doubt it) but Fitz is a good backup in the NFL plays well enough to win in short stretches but isn't a long term answer.

As for TO unless he has a monster last 6 games (Like the last 2) and we get a coach like Shanny who wants him back (And TO wants to come back) then I think his stay here is over.

A 3-4 D meh too many teams are trying to get it and since most colleges run a 4-3 its already hard to find 3-4 personnel when only 5-7 teams in the league are running it let alone when 14 (15 if we were going to run it) teams in the league are going to run it.

I like to think a more physical 4-3 would work out well. Fwell seems like he could be a good guy to run a much more physical 4-3.

somebody above just said that starting T.O. is preventing Stevie Johnson and Hardy from seeing the field......and here's the kicker ...they think thats a bad thing!!! i nearly peed my pants

Face it--TO is gone and going to be 36 in any event. I'd rather get the young guys some experience, esp in a wasted year like this one.

Those teams also play in domes. Having a smallish fast defense does not mesh with Buffalo weather. Whether its a 3-4 or some version of the 4-3, we need to be bigger.

Because its the only defence that championship teams use

Just like only proven head coaches win championships

Yeah, I really don't understand the infatuation with going to a 3-4 either. These things are always cyclical. If a third of the league is playing the 3-4, it makes it that much tougher to land the personnel, like, for example, a stud nose.

I'm not for or against whatever defense a new coach wants to install, I'm just saying moving to a 3-4 doesn't guarantee a better defense.

Those teams also play in domes. Having a smallish fast defense does not mesh with Buffalo weather. Whether its a 3-4 or some version of the 4-3, we need to be bigger.

The Vikes have the Williams Wall (You know that Pat Williams guy that use to play here) and they are pretty big nasty and effective. Also The Titans run a 4-3 and they play out doors (Ok its in a warm climate). The Giants are also successful (I know this season they are very average but last year they were the best team in the NFC and they won the Super Bowl the year before).

Another team that runs a 4-3 in cold weather and is successful is the Bengals this season they are running a 4-3 and beating the **** out of the rest of the division that runs a 3-4. I know a 3-4 sounds like a good idea because of the success of the Steelers and the Pats* this decade BUT a lot of people forget about the failures of the 3-4.

The Texans tried to run a 3-4 and they failed. The Raiders tried to run a 3-4 it failed. The Browns are trying to run a 3-4 its not going well. The Cardinals aren't lighting it up with a 3-4. The Jets have had mixed results with the 3-4 (They had to spend a lot of resources in the draft and free agency to do so). The Fins run a hybrid 3-4 and while its a respectable D its not top 10 quality this season. The 49ers have tried forever to run a 3-4 and its only now after 7 seasons.

Now look at teams converting to a 3-4 their first season. The Broncos got off to a hot start but the D has quickly cooled off. The Packers have had a successful conversion. The Chiefs have had a hard conversion to the 3-4. So 3 teams have tried to make the conversion and one has been successful, one has sucked, and one has had mixed results.

My point is its not what scheme you run its can you get the coaching and personnel to run it at a high level. If you get the right players and coach them the right way the 4-3 or 3-4 will work.

A 3-4 should maximize Maybin's abilities, enable the team to cut or trade some dead weight (schobel), and get a more physical front 7. I am for the switch.