LOST...Season 6

duey

I think you could look at the reign of Hurley as the potential fulfillment of all the things aimed at by the Hanso Foundation, Valenzetti Equation, Dharma Initiative, etc... They were trying to identify and change something fundamentally flawed about human nature.

Look at the fact that Hurley’s destiny was shaped by the numbers. These are the same numbers in the Valenzetti equation—they’re supposed to represent something self-destructive that has been constant about human civilization throughout history. Jacob, in his search for a solution to his MIB problem, apparently came to realize the importance of the numbers too. Each of these six numbers stood for one of his final batch of candidates. It’s no coincidence then that Hurley is the one to finally take his place as guardian of the light of humanity for a new era. Remember that Ben mentions towards the very end that “that was Jacob’s way of running things.” Hurley is free to invent his own rules and it seems he is the right guy for the job of making a better world.

GREAT POST!! way to tie it all together.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this possible?!? I just checked the number of "Views" this thread has and I believe it has increased by about 7,000 since yesterday morning! What's really funny is that there are only five or six of us posting...is everyone else just lurking?! LOL

Is this possible?!? I just checked the number of "Views" this thread has and I believe it has increased by about 7,000 since yesterday morning! What's really funny is that there are only five or six of us posting...is everyone else just lurking?! LOL

I've been one of the lurkers. What is the deal with tgregg? I've never been on this thread until yesterday. Is he really a writer for the show? How awesome is that? If so, that only reaffirms my belief that the Bills are the coolest team in pro sports. In any case, that was a really good read, as have been a lot of the posts.

I've been one of the lurkers. What is the deal with tgregg? I've never been on this thread until yesterday. Is he really a writer for the show?

That's what he tells us. He's given us cryptic little hints and messages from time to time as the series has progress and indeed fessed up to be a writer on the show. You're right...it's pretty damn cool that he's one of "us." :lol:

That's what he tells us. He's given us cryptic little hints and messages from time to time as the series has progress and indeed fessed up to be a writer on the show. You're right...it's pretty damn cool that he's one of "us." :lol:

I don't think I've read and never got the impression that tgregg was a writer on LOST. He works at Bad Robot, and interacts with the core creators of the show, but also works on sundry other projects, such as "Cloverfield." I remember reading a few seasons back that he was and wanted to stay "LOST-pure"... But that evidently wasn't meant to be, and he has worked on LOST in some capacity, especially this season, but not (I think) as a writer, or a Head Writer at least.

Nonetheless, tgregg has been a fantastic resource, and one who knew the line that straddles employee/fan and walked it like a pro.

Further to when I'm going to change the avatar.... Still, I don't know. I'm still basking in the afterglow, two days later. This feeling really hasn't let up. I don't know when it will. The ending was beautiful. I feel like I'm sitting in the church with these people, and I don't really want it to subside or leave. LOST is like a new religion.

Further to when I'm going to change the avatar.... Still, I don't know. I'm still basking in the afterglow, two days later. This feeling really hasn't let up. I don't know when it will. The ending was beautiful. I feel like I'm sitting in the church with these people, and I don't really want it to subside or leave. LOST is like a new religion.

im with you 100%, brutha. im still effected by the finale, and it has really hit me on a spiritual level. it's not even so much that the long running show ended, it's HOW it ended and the philosophy behind it which has struck me.

And I agree with you as well brutha. I made the change here and on facebook, but I continue to think about (and obviously discuss) the show wihtout an end in sight. I was so moved by the ending...I almost felt like I too was being enveloped by the same light as Jack and the rest of our friends. The feeling of peace, happiness and contentment washed over me like a gentle wave and I still feel embraced in its warmth.

is everyone else just lurking?!

Not me! :lol:

BTW, I'm not a big stickler for plot incompatibilities, but could someone explain how the Donkey Wheel was attached to the 'light' source in the cave of wonders? Locationally, they seem to be on different parts of the island. Or is the Donkey Wheel something else altogether?

BTW, I'm not a big stickler for plot incompatibilities, but could someone explain how the Donkey Wheel was attached to the 'light' source in the cave of wonders? Locationally, they seem to be on differnt parts of the island. Or is the Donkey Wheel something else altogether?

Damn it Lurker...stop lurking! :lol:

That whole donkey wheel thing made no sense to me when they brought it up in the episode with Jacob and MIB. "Oh yeah...I'm going to hook this donkey wheel up into the rock here, then attach the golden light and throw in some water and off we'll go."

I accepted it as a means to get off and move the island in previous episodes, but how it got there just didn't take with me.

And I agree with you as well brutha. I made the change here and on facebook, but I continue to think about (and obviously discuss) the show wihtout an end in sight. I was so moved by the ending...I almost felt like I too was being enveloped by the same light as Jack and the rest of our friends. The feeling of peace, happiness and contentment washed over me like a gentle wave and I still feel embraced in its warmth.

LOSTgasm?

I'm still expecting you to look like Hurley if I ever meet you in real life. If you don't, I'll be disappointed...

No no, I'm not a writer on LOST, never written a single word for the show. I was about as signifigant as a stapler. The real people who deserve all the credit are Damon, Carlton, Eddie, Adam, Liz, the great staff, cast and crew. I worked in a lot of different capacities for the company and the show but never, ever, as a writer :lol:

I'm back from China and all caught up on the 5 episodes I missed plus the finale - including taking time to read the Doc Jensen recap corresponding to each episode and this board before moving on to the next episode.

Anyhow, the only question that still troubles me is the underwater island. Doc Jensen says it's just a lie. I'm not sure I buy that. Could it be that Hurley's reign ended in failure and that was when he moved on to the Sideways world?

I'm back from China and all caught up on the 5 episodes I missed plus the finale - including taking time to read the Doc Jensen recap corresponding to each episode before moving on to the next episode.

Anyhow, the only question that still troubles me is the underwater island. Doc Jensen says it's just a lie. I'm not sure I buy that. Could it be that Hurley's reign ended in failure and that was when he moved on to the Sideways world?

nothing in the Sideways world is "real". the Island is not actually underwater. as i noted earlier, if Hurley's reign failed, then the light would have gone out, existance would have ended, and there would be no final light for them to move onto. everything would just be nothingness. no real world, no soul energy, nothing.

i think the only reason the writers/producers showed us the Island underwater was to throw us off track.

just like there is no such thing as Jack's son David. there is no Island underwater.

I'm back from China and all caught up on the 5 episodes I missed plus the finale - including taking time to read the Doc Jensen recap corresponding to each episode and this board before moving on to the next episode.

I think that’s definitely one thing that is open to interpretation. It’s possible that Hurley’s reign ended in failure, but that doesn’t feel right to me. Ben complimented Hurley on being a great number one. Plus the vibe of the whole purgatory reunion was so joyous, it doesn’t seem compatible with a failure like that.

I think the sunken island may have some symbolic meaning (like maybe that, since they are all dead, nothing earthly can affect them any more), but I don’t thing we are to take any literal meaning from that. My feeling is that Hurley found a successor and the source is still being protected and the island is still intact.

I think we’re supposed to take everything in the sideways world with a grain of salty dream logic.

BTW, I'm not a big stickler for plot incompatibilities, but could someone explain how the Donkey Wheel was attached to the 'light' source in the cave of wonders? Locationally, they seem to be on different parts of the island. Or is the Donkey Wheel something else altogether?

Damn it Lurker...stop lurking! :lol:

That whole donkey wheel thing made no sense to me when they brought it up in the episode with Jacob and MIB. "Oh yeah...I'm going to hook this donkey wheel up into the rock here, then attach the golden light and throw in some water and off we'll go."

I accepted it as a means to get off and move the island in previous episodes, but how it got there just didn't take with me.

This was not explained in detail. You kind of need to combine it with some of what we saw in the Light cavern, and what we saw in the other wells that there are other access spots to the Light (tho, these do not have access to the "Cork" that contains Hell). In "Across the Sea" the MIB said something about channeling the water" which was an important part of what happened when Des removed the carrot stone --- the streams that funneled water to the pool pretty much stopped flowing. There was no outlet for the pool, either, so the water apparently drained into spots along the hole (the carrot stone didn't take up that whole space), which may have had the effect that whatever was in there couldn't get past the water and/or the stone. Might've been like having a knob lock and a deadbolt on your door. As such, the water was an important part of what kept whatever it was, at bay. I guess their thinking with the wells was to make a small crack in the Light /(and with what we saw when Ben and Locke moved the wheel, the Light is connected to Time), divert some water, and voila. Perhaps the Romans(?) in the time of Mother had observed some phenomena along the lines of the guy who died during the Orchid drilling. They had a theory, that for Mother, hit a little too close to sounding like it'd work. There was also the point made at the time that so many things on-island work by someone just believing they'll work. At a certain point, you need to take it on faith, and as presented.

I'm still basking in the afterglow, two days later. This feeling really hasn't let up. I don't know when it will. The ending was beautiful. I feel like I'm sitting in the church with these people, and I don't really want it to subside or leave.

Ditto. I watched it again last night.

This was not explained in detail. You kind of need to combine it with some of what we saw in the Light cavern, and what we saw in the other wells that there are other access spots to the Light (tho, these do not have access to the "Cork" that contains Hell). In "Across the Sea" the MIB said something about channeling the water" which was an important part of what happened when Des removed the carrot stone --- the streams that funneled water to the pool pretty much stopped flowing. There was no outlet for the pool, either, so the water apparently drained into spots along the hole (the carrot stone didn't take up that whole space), which may have had the effect that whatever was in there couldn't get past the water and/or the stone. Might've been like having a knob lock and a deadbolt on your door. As such, the water was an important part of what kept whatever it was, at bay. I guess their thinking with the wells was to make a small crack in the Light /(and with what we saw when Ben and Locke moved the wheel, the Light is connected to Time), divert some water, and voila. Perhaps the Romans(?) in the time of Mother had observed some phenomena along the lines of the guy who died during the Orchid drilling. They had a theory, that for Mother, hit a little too close to sounding like it'd work. There was also the point made at the time that so many things on-island work by someone just believing they'll work. At a certain point, you need to take it on faith, and as presented.

Oh I believe just fine. I just thought the way the donkey wheel construction was presented in the Jacob/MIB episode was kinda lame.

And FYI...we're at over 33,000 views. That's an increase of about 15,000 since yesterday morning. Why do I think we're getting "Others" visiting this board and thread for a peak...hmmm?

Where did tgreg's post (#1026) go?

Apparently it's gone out wider than I ever intended. And it's being misconstrued as being from the writers of the show (on other sites I guess). Which I'm not. I just wrote it up for our little community here of Bills fans and forgot that we're actually a part of a way bigger internet community. I don't want people reading it and assumming it's THE answer or from the mouths of the show. It's just my take on it. Didn't want people to get the wrong idea.

Did not mean to cause a firestorm at all ... my apologies.