LOST...Season 6

duey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it seems to me that all the Dharma stuff was complete crap that was added to get it past 2 seasons. As the story unfolds, there is almost no relevancy to years of Dharma stuff... Certainly not enough in comparison to the years we spent on it. That must be the filler they added to draw this out.

it seems to me that all the Dharma stuff was complete crap that was added to get it past 2 seasons. As the story unfolds, there is almost no relevancy to years of Dharma stuff... Certainly not enough in comparison to the years we spent on it. That must be the filler they added to draw this out.

True - I'm still thinking that Hanso/Dharma and Whitmore (especially) have played a big part in keeping Smokey on the island all this time.

Just a few thoughts but mostly questions.

What happened when Desmond failed to enter the code? What happened when Dharma drilled too deep? What happened when Ben pushed the Donkey Wheel? Answer: Energy was released that caused bad things. The same numbers that Desmond had to plug in to stop the Island from leaking are the same numbers that Jacob has plugged in to stop Flocke from leaking. Weird. We also got the picture of a Champagne bottle popping before this season started. Is the Island just a cap? A cork maybe? Is Jacob just a cork keeping Flocke from discharging? What happens if Flocke gets off of the Island? We know that when the Energy gets out that it can make the Island skip in time and location(I think that the location is just a result of the Earths rotation). So if Flocke gets out would the same happen? Maybe instead of the Island skipping through time the Earth skips through space? Could that explain Sideverse if Flocke were to make it out? Could Flocke/Smokey be all of the souls that have died on the Island in a physical form? We all saw Michael Landon say that "when people die they're not really gone" the other night. Could the intense electromagnetic field on the Island cause this collection of "Angry Souls" that just want to go "home"? Is Jacob the Guardian of our Reality in a Godlike infused game of Cosmic Monopoly?

Even though I wasn't too far off I'm still not buying it. I just can't see Hurley going to hell, well at least not in the same sense of hell we've all come to know. I think We've all been twisted and turned so much that we want this to be the answer but I believe there is A LOT more to the story still. Also I don't think the Dharma thing was just filler as SDS said, we still have a lot to go, in fact Widmore is still a mystery. I'm thinking maybe he has some sort of divine bloodline running through him that makes him the true guardian of the island, I'm think BOTH Jacob AND MiB are running game on the losties/Alpert just as Lindelof and Cuse are running game on us.

BTW I just wanted a reason to toot my own horn about the cork thing :thumbsup: <--- Smokey?

While they may be finally getting to the nut of the 6-year arc, there is a lot...and I mean a LOT...of loose threads that may go dangling.

PTR

While they may be finally getting to the nut of the 6-year arc, there is a lot...and I mean a LOT...of loose threads that may go dangling.

PTR

the bottom line is that when this started - they saw 2-3 seasons tops. Something occupied 3.5 years of episodes that wasn't originally in the plans. I say it was the Dharma Initiative.

So, we finally get an idea of the mystery man. And to be entirely truthful, there's not much to his story that we didn't already see Flocke conduct through Ben. We've seen it before. Mucho "the island is Hell" declarations... you can throw these on the pile with the rest of them.

Richard is old. He doesn't have many answers. The reason why he was so interested in Young Ben seeing his mother's apparition on the island was b/c he saw Isabella's. Turned out that it was simply Smokey taking her form after downloading Richard's mind. Then, he sowed the seeds of hate as he has with a number of characters (e.g. Claire just recently) to try to have Jacob killed. So, this ep really cemented the good/evil sides: Jacob is for free will, blank slates, not directly interfering. All things we associate with a benevolent God. But Jacob is not God, if the concept of God even exists in Jacob's purview. Both requests for heaven (or Richard's version of the next best thing) are rebuffed. Jacob cannot offer Richard absolution or revive Isabella. But, to keep himself out of the scorching flames of Hell, Richard drives the bargain of being alive "forever." Which taps into Jacob's apparent ability to manipulate time. (Perhaps Jacob's touch places an invisible cocoon around a touchee wherein time is regulated. i.e. it being like, say, a stopwatch that went off for the O6 timetravel to '77) .... But most importantly here, we saw Jacob first learning the tactic MIB would eventually use to kill him... by using a proxy. He is persuaded to use Richard as an intermediary of sorts to pass messages to island inhabitants, and perhaps for various constructions. Richard, after all, works well with his hands.

But all this comes after Richard's backstory. The doctor refuses what money and the gold necklace Richard has for medicine for Isabella's sickness. (Likely TB, for which there was no cure then). A somewhat accidental killer in a Spanish island, he is sentenced to death and not granted absolution for his confession. The priest then sells Richard... was that man Magnus Hanso speaking of himself in the third person? The weather takes a serious turn for the worse from the last time we saw the Black Rock (sunny weather, calm seas in the S5 finale), and it apparently rode an ~ 80 ft. wave to its spot deep into the jungle. The electromagnetic forces of the island apparently had nothing to do with it. The Black Rock is what smashed the Tawaret statue. ... Note, the knife was evidently MIB's originally, or perhaps it was a conjoined possession. But then, this particular knife wasn't needed for Ben to kill Jacob....

We get the analogy of the island (or, is it Jacob?) as a cork, holding Smokey --- DHARMA called the monster Cerebrus(?) --- captive so he doesn't seep out into the world. Still a big question of how Jacob left the island, and what was it that held MIB there while Jacob was gone.

Yes, Jokeman, that line about Jacob having stolen MIB's body was interesting. An 1800s version of "Face/Off"? Or was it a lie? I, too, have to see this again. It was a fairly brave episode, with minimal main character time, but started to set up some of the mythology we all crave.

The weather takes a serious turn for the worse from the last time we saw the Black Rock (sunny weather, calm seas in the S5 finale), and it apparently rode an ~ 80 ft. wave to its spot deep into the jungle.

It's pretty clear actually that this wasn't the Blackrock. The weather, the fact that the statue is whole, and this is when MIB says to Jacob that he will one day find a loop hole. By the time the Blackrock was brought to the island, he apparently had figured out what that loop hole is because that's when he tries to get Richard to kill Jacob for him.

Last nights episode immediately reminded me of the Twilight Zone episode entitled "The Howling Man." In that episode, the devil (in the form of an ordinary man) is being held in a castle by an order of monks, specifically held in a cell by a "staff of truth." He can't get out unless someone else lets him out. Of course, a stranger comes to the castle and lets him out, even though he was told by the monks that this "man" was actually the devil.

I see so many parallels between that episode and last nights Lost episode. Clearly MIB is trapped on this island (the staff of truth) to prevent him from unleashing his evil upon the world. The monks unsuccessfully relied on the stranger to believe and understand the danger in letting the man out of the cell, much as Jacob initially relied on people brought to the island making the right choices. The devil relies on deceit to facilitate his release from the cell, much as MIB has in manipulating Richard (through the use of his wife) and utilmately Ben to finally kill Jacob.

For whatever reason, the killing of Jacob did not lift the staff of truth and then simply allow MIB to leave the island. He obviously needs to either recruit the remaining candidates to his side or likely kill them as well. It seems that MIB is also unable to kill the candidates himself and thus needs to set up some kind of final battle between the two sides.

And tgreg99...I'm having a hard time believing that this story is going to have a happy ending. I think a lot of our favorite characters are going to die and I think the whole game is going to be restarted by a new candidate taking over for Jacob.

Here is the link to the Twilight Zone episode summary...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Howling_Man

Doc Jensen's "Ab Aeterno" run-down: "Uncorked"

Holy schnikes. Better have a padded cushion. It's a 12-pager.

Before I get too far into that, tho, I wanted to mention that the ep reminded me a lot of Boone's ordeal in S1's "Hearts and Minds." The nail an equivalent to the knife thrown into the ground nearby by Locke. Boone would only reach it when he "had the proper motivation."

Also wanted to note the continued use of "my friend" by MIB. And then note Ceasar's catch-phrase use of "my friend" last season... before he was shot by Ben. So, MIB had supporters in the outside world somehow?

Some ideas I'm mulling over? Cain and Abel, the world's first CSI murder case. Cain was punished to wander the world as an immortal entity because he murdered his brother. He was also given a dark mark to scare away anyone who'd want to do him harm. I'd dare say that Earth-bound immortality qualifies as a kind of body-nullifying, dehumanizing curse — and that being able to convert into black smoke and change shape can qualify as some kind of protective-spooky defensive mechanism. Abel's final fate is more on-the-nose with Lost: Wikipedia cites an apocryphal Biblical text that says that Abel now resides in a ''netherworld,'' an ''awful man'' who is tasked with judging all creatures, and examining the righteous and the sinners.''

Ricardo asked a crucial question: How come Jacob doesn't take a more active role in shepherding his spiritual reclamation projects? ''Because I want them to help themselves. To be able to tell the difference between right and wrong without me having to tell them, it's all meaningless if I have to force them to do anything! Why should I have to step in?'' Richard's reply: ''If you don't, he will.''

This answer seemed to stump Jacob. It was as if Ricardo had told him something he never considered before. If only he read more books.

I'm curious about something. When Dogen told Sayid to kill Flocke and the Man in Black told Richard to kill Jacob, both said that you cannot be spoken to by that person before you kill them. Last season, Jacob talked to Ben before Ben killed him. So why was Ben able to kill Jacob outright?

I'm curious about something. When Dogen told Sayid to kill Flocke and the Man in Black told Richard to kill Jacob, both said that you cannot be spoken to by that person before you kill them. Last season, Jacob talked to Ben before Ben killed him. So why was Ben able to kill Jacob outright?

Because Jacob was allowing himself to be killed...for what reason, we don't yet know. Perhaps by allowing himself to be killed, it doesn't give MIB the advantage he thinks he has as a result of Jacobs death.

Because Jacob was allowing himself to be killed...for what reason, we don't yet know. Perhaps by allowing himself to be killed, it doesn't give MIB the advantage he thinks he has as a result of Jacobs death.

I agree with that. Jacob gave Richard an a$$ whipping, yet Jacob just stands there and lets Ben stab him. We just haven't seen enough to figure out why, although it appears that Jacob may be more powerful or persuasive now that he's dead. But he is also putting all his faith in the remaining candidates as well.

The thing I don't understand is why Ben, but not Richard. I get the whole good/evil/making choices speech he gives, it's pretty much confirmed with Miles saying that right up until the end, Jacob hoped he was wrong about Ben. I am sure it was Jacob's plan because Jacob clearly wanted Ben and MiB to enter his "house", he said nobody comes in unless he lets them in. But again, it will probably be explained later.

Doc Jensen's "Ab Aeterno" run-down: "Uncorked"

Holy schnikes. Better have a padded cushion. It's a 12-pager.

Before I get too far into that, tho, I wanted to mention that the ep reminded me a lot of Boone's ordeal in S1's "Hearts and Minds." The nail an equivalent to the knife thrown into the ground nearby by Locke. Boone would only reach it when he "had the proper motivation."

Also wanted to note the continued use of "my friend" by MIB. And then note Ceasar's catch-phrase use of "my friend" last season... before he was shot by Ben. That didn't go away.

Wow...awesome read as usual. And I think he's really on to something (see page 12!):

So what if the wine in Jacob's bottle = all the souls that have come to The Island and lost the wager with Smokey? What if all those souls are trapped on The Island because Jacob refuses to let them go? In fact, what if the terms of the wager are akin to one of those Old Testament bets that God would make with his prophets, whereby a while wicked city can be saved if one ''good soul'' can be found? Maybe Jacob has been holding onto all those souls who've lost the wager because he's holding out to find that one good man that can give them all a second chance at life? And maybe Smokey thinks that's fundamentally wrong or unnatural, which is why he's so desperate to just end this whole damn redemption game, so everyone can move on to whatever afterlife they deserve — including himself. Breaking the bottle doesn't release a toxic cloud of evil — it just sets the prisoners of Jacob's purgatory free.

Damn that really seems to make a lot of sense...and it totally jibes with Jacob/MIBs talk on the beach at the beginning of The Incident.

Moreover, Jacob's rejection of Original Sin is provocative for anyone whose theory of a Christ-like Jacob has been informed by Christian theology, as many Christians do believe in Original Sin. Maybe Jacob-Jesus is trying to prove that spiritually renewed people can truly ''go and sin no more'' (John 8:11)? Perhaps The Island isn't a place where people are spiritually tested, but rather where religions are tested for relevancy and truthfulness. Jacob and Smokey are basically quality control experts — Inspectors 1 and 2 — of Fruit of the Loom holy underwear. And right now, Christianity's up.

B-)

Was in a waiting room the other day and heard Green Day's "Time of Your Life" on the office-wide muzak. I know it's used a lot in finale episodes, and such (e.g. the lead-in introduction piece to the last ep of "Seinfeld"). But wow, the lyrics are 5,687 percent more tuned to "LOST" and imagery we've seen throughout:

Another turning point

A fork stuck in the road

Time grabs you by the wrist

Directs you where to go

So make the best

Of this test

And don't ask why

It's not a question

But a lesson learned in time

It's something unpredictable

But in the end is right

I hope you had the time of your life

So take the photographs

And still frames in your mind

Hang it on a shelf in

Good health and good time

Tattoos of memories

And dead skin on trial

For what it's worth

It was worth all the while

It's something unpredictable

But in the end is right

I hope you had the time of your life

You know, I was sitting there, thinking and got a little misty. I am going to miss this show so much it's frickin' unbelievable.

Was in a waiting room the other day and heard Green Day's "Time of Your Life" on the office-wide muzak. I know it's used a lot in finale episodes, and such (e.g. the lead-in introduction piece to the last ep of "Seinfeld"). But wow, the lyrics are 5,687 percent more tuned to "LOST" and imagery we've seen throughout:

You know, I was sitting there, thinking and got a little misty. I am going to miss this show so much it's frickin' unbelievable.

As a Green Day fan I can't say I really tie this song to LOST at all. Of course I've always felt this song was about looking back on a relationship that recently ended. Specifically it's looking back and remembering that while it was all for not that you did enjoy it in the moment and were somewhat surprised that it came to end. To me the great thing about LOST is that we all knew it was coming to an end and yes it's going to be tough when goes off the air the truth is it's all building to something whereas in Good Riddance (the actual title of the track as Time of Your Life is a subtitle) again didn't lead to anything.