Did Dan Marino really say that?!?

Golden Wheels

If you could have, then it's running up the score. Running up the score isn't always a moral inquiry. Sometimes, it just is.

I would have, just because I think it's more satisfying to kneel on a 1st and goal than put another TD on the board.

How is it more satisfying taking a knee at that point versus another TD? I really don't understand the rationale behind this train of thought. In the NFL, anything can happen which was why Miami called their final timeout before the score. Sealing the game by putting more points on the board IMHO served two purposes. It put the game out of reach for Miami and was a good morale builder for Buffalo Bills organization (owner, coaches and players) and the fans.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the CBS post-game show, Marino said in all seriousness this about the Dolphins/Bills game:

"The game was closer than the score would indicate."

:flirt:

I'm glad Dan said that. Maybe it will shut up the whiners in Myhammy that are accusing the Bills of running up the score at the end.

whoever is saying the Bills ran up the score at the end doesnt have a clue what they are talking about and is just cryin...it was a 10 point game and they had a game killing drive that resulted in a TD for a 17 point win...thats not exactly like the Pats passing the ball up 59-0 in the snow with 2 mins to go

Yeah, and when Miami was leading 31-10 with 4+ minutes to go in game in the earlier matchup, they scored a TD. Whoever accuses the Bills of running up the score can STFU.

EXACTLY.

Plus Dan Marino, if you are a commentator, I'd like some more unbiased reporting please. That is all.

Owens was not running up the score. Jackson was. They could have taken knees at that point.

Dude, you must not have been watching Bills football aver the last 10 years. Cowboys 07', Jets 08', Browns 08', Pats 09'. No such thing as running up the score. This talk just makes me angry.

Dude, you must not have been watching Bills football aver the last 10 years. Cowboys 07', Jets 08', Browns 08', Pats 09'. No such thing as running up the score. This talk just makes me angry.

How does running an unnecessary offensive play compare to those games? I don't consider it running up the score, but if anything the decision the Bills made to attempt to score actually put the win in more jeopardy than a conservative call like taking a knee would've.

In the CBS post-game show, Marino said in all seriousness this about the Dolphins/Bills game:

"The game was closer than the score would indicate."

:flirt:

I'm glad Dan said that. Maybe it will shut up the whiners in Myhammy that are accusing the Bills of running up the score at the end.

We are clear, it was a really close game? We did not have control until TO's TD catch with 3 mins left.

Owens was not running up the score. Jackson was. They could have taken knees at that point.

Miami could have punted the ball on 4th down instead of going for it but they took advantage of the Bills lack of run defense. How can they accuse Buffalo of running up the score when they consistantly handed the ball off.

I'm sorry, but this is utter nonsense. Running the ball into the end zone in that situation is completely fair game. Passing with a 10 point lead, or running a trick play....that might not be cool.

I think there is a misconception about kneeling down....nobody does this because it keeps the other team from getting angry. They do it to minimize ball-handling, and thereby minimize risk. It could be said that what the Bills did was unnecessarily risky; I disagree, but at least respect that kind of logic.

But really; the only way what the Bills did could be construed as poor sportsmanship would be if they weren't letting the clock tick down between plays.

We are clear, it was a really close game?

Sure. It was tied with about 5 minutes left. I just thought it was funny that Dan said it was close while the Dolphin apologists were whining about the last score.

And when was the last time we heard anyone say the Bills were running up a score???

Timeout #2 by MIA at 01:31.

2nd and 2 at MIA 18 F.Jackson up the middle to MIA 7 for 11 yards (C.Crowder, Gi.Wilson). Key block: K.Simmons.

Timeout #3 by MIA at 01:25.

1st and 7 at MIA 7 F.Jackson right guard for 7 yards, TOUCHDOWN. 14 30

R.Lindell extra point is GOOD, Center-G.Sanborn, Holder-B.Moorman.

It would be pretty stupid to kneel down with a stopped clock...

Timeout #2 by MIA at 01:31.

2nd and 2 at MIA 18 F.Jackson up the middle to MIA 7 for 11 yards (C.Crowder, Gi.Wilson). Key block: K.Simmons.

Timeout #3 by MIA at 01:25.

1st and 7 at MIA 7 F.Jackson right guard for 7 yards, TOUCHDOWN. 14 30

R.Lindell extra point is GOOD, Center-G.Sanborn, Holder-B.Moorman.

It would be pretty stupid to kneel down with a stopped clock...

You do realize the clock starts when the ball is snapped?

Yes, of course I do. My point was to reinforce what others were saying about the Dolphins calling timeouts.

The only time the Bills really could've taken a knee but didn't was on the first and goal from the 7. They could've ended the game with 2-3 kneeldowns there, but opted to run the ball instead. As a way of boosting morale on a downtrodden team, I think it was probably a pretty good move. But in terms of pure tactics, it's the wrong move, since it lowers your chance of victory. (From over 99.9% to maybe about 98%. Still lower, though.)