Fewell is going to complicate the coaching search big time

PromoTheRobot

I didn't think I'd like Fewell, thinking he'd be the typical coordinator-type coach that we've seen here lately - both meathead and Greggo. I would have preferred that the team had chosen Bobby April.

The attitude change that this guy has brought to this team has completely changed my mind. He seems to know how to get the best out of his players and how to build chemistry. Honestly, those two things are probably the most important attributes that contribute to the W-L record of a head coach. His in-game managing, and trust of the players is also really good to see.

I'm not crazy about his belief in the Cover 2, but if the season's over and you see the team playing hard, even though they've been eliminated from the playoffs, I think you hire this guy and get a competent GM that can build him a team. Meathead and Greggo were complete unknowns as head coaches. Fewell will have enough time in 7 games to prove whether he's the next Cowher or the next Gregg Williams. Shanahan will come with a high price tag and with the baggage that he wasn't really that good at being a general manager. Any of the big-name coaches will come with a high pricetag and the inability to hire a separate GM.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think I'd like Fewell, thinking he'd be the typical coordinator-type coach that we've seen here lately - both meathead and Greggo. I would have preferred that the team had chosen Bobby April.

The attitude change that this guy has brought to this team has completely changed my mind. He seems to know how to get the best out of his players and how to build chemistry. Honestly, those two things are probably the most important attributes that contribute to the W-L record of a head coach. His in-game managing, and trust of the players is also really good to see.

I'm not crazy about his belief in the Cover 2, but if the season's over and you see the team playing hard, even though they've been eliminated from the playoffs, I think you hire this guy and get a competent GM that can build him a team. Meathead and Greggo were complete unknowns as head coaches. Fewell will have enough time in 7 games to prove whether he's the next Cowher or the next Gregg Williams. Shanahan will come with a high price tag and with the baggage that he wasn't really that good at being a general manager. Any of the big-name coaches will come with a high pricetag and the inability to hire a separate GM.

Couple of things to keep in mind:

1) It's hard to judge Fewell and AVP as coordinators because they were doing mostly what Dick(less) Jauron wanted them to do. All you have to do is compare the offensive game plans then and now. AVP had his hands tied. Maybe Fewell did too.

2) Motivating players and getting them to perform is more than half the job of a head coach. Motivated players make plays. Meathead and Greggo were pretty smart in X's and O's but couldn't motivate a hungry dog to eat a steak. It's not just Jauron. I have not seen Bills players this fired up to play since Levy.

Jerry Sullivan is fond of saying Bills coaches "over-think" their jobs. So let's not over-think the coaching search either. Don't worry about who has a bigger name and who brings more cred. Pay attention to the team and how they play under Fewell.

PTR

What if they kept Perry and spent buku bucks on a top notch GM? Fire Modrak and Guy and get better people in charge of college and pro scouting?

:thumbsup:

I like this idea, Perry just needs better groceries as Parcells once said

rooting against him makes no sense!

IF he can win with this team then he is obviously a pretty good coach!

If not, we get someone else.

No lose situation.

Not waiting for reality is a pretty stupid thing here. We are gonna have real world results which will mean a lot regarding whether he is a good choice, a bad choice or a so-so choice (which to me means we coulda done better as I think there are several former SB winners who will be available.

This is really one where the only correct answer is to wait and see what happens on the field.

Guest dog14787
Not waiting for reality is a pretty stupid thing here. We are gonna have real world results which will mean a lot regarding whether he is a good choice, a bad choice or a so-so choice (which to me means we coulda done better as I think there are several former SB winners who will be available.

This is really one where the only correct answer is to wait and see what happens on the field.

I was completely against Fewell getting the nod over Bobby April and I was wrong.

Whats going unnoticed is the scheming and play calling by AVP, now there's someone to keep a good eye on.

AVP deserves as much credit as Fewell for the improvement in the Bills offense and it could be something as simple as Fewell telling AVP, "you go on and do what you think needs be done to make this offense work".

I was completely against Fewell getting the nod over Bobby April and I was wrong.

Whats going unnoticed is the scheming and play calling by AVP, now there's someone to keep a good eye on.

AVP deserves as much credit as Fewell for the improvement in the Bills offense and it could be something as simple as Fewell telling AVP, "you go on and do what you think needs be done to make this offense work".

benching 5 and cutting his bestest friend chroise helped also

• 4 weeks later...
Say Fewell wins 5 games, including a win over NE* and he goes 8-8 with a rag tag bunch of street free agents. The Bills are going to have a real hard time picking someone over him. Plus you are going to see a real division between fans wanting to stick with Perry and those who want the marquee hire.

PTR

Nice call, Chumpion. :blink::lol::worthy:

So, if Perry gets the HC job, you think we could BEG him to hire a better DC than himself? :blink: I crack myself up, sorry.

Play not to lose...your job I guess. This is a guy that merely is hoping not to do anything Zorn-like which may completely remove him.

There are two types of NFL coaches: those that have been fired and those who haven't. Bum Phillips said that years ago and it's true. It's why coaches all do the same things and have the same results.

down that much late in the game kicking a field goal is totally dick jauron football. what is the point in getting 3 instead of going for it on fourth, it was gutless, and I can't stand it. dump this guy and his soft cover-2 defense, dump AVP, and bring in some real coaches. This team needs people from the front office on down that will hold these guys accountable, be aggressive, and make them finishers. What we have now is a bunch of twats that have accomplished absolutely NOTHING