Interesting LA Stadium Tidbit

weehawk

The new LA Stadium project has a website up. Here's what it says about what team might play there...

Team

Don’t take my Raiders or Chargers.

It is our understanding that the National Football League has no intention of expanding, but they do want to be in Los Angeles. State-of-the-art stadiums are required for teams to stay competitive in today’s NFL. We do not control what team will play in the new Los Angeles Stadium, but we do know it will be an existing team that needs to move because they cannot build a new stadium or financially they are not successful in their current market. We can not disclose which teams we are talking with.

So they are talking to teams and they have not ruled out snagging Oak or SD. This is getting interesting. If this group takes an existing Calif team and Jax goes to San Antonio before Ralph passes on, that would leave the Bills right where they are, with probably two regular season home games permanently going to TO. A new owner would have very limited moving options if LA and SA dont end up needing teams.

http://www.losangelesfootballstadium.com/

The new LA Stadium project has a website up. Here's what it says about what team might play there...

Team

It is our understanding that the National Football League has no intention of expanding, but they do want to be in Los Angeles. State-of-the-art stadiums are required for teams to stay competitive in today’s NFL. We do not control what team will play in the new Los Angeles Stadium, but we do know it will be an existing team that needs to move because they cannot build a new stadium or financially they are not successful in their current market. We can not disclose which teams we are talking with.

So they are talking to teams and they have not ruled out snagging Oak or SD. This is getting interesting. If this group takes an existing Calif team and Jax goes to San Antonio before Ralph passes on, that would leave the Bills right where they are, with probably two regular season home games permanently going to TO. A new owner would have very limited moving options if LA and SA dont end up needing teams.

Fancy new stadium means the LA Jags suit up in 2011. Though I suppose the name Jags won't really make any sense.

But seriously, they are like a biscuit above a UFL team now. They had to tarp off like half the upper deck yesterday. There's no real incentive to move the Bills when we have teams like that.

Team

That scenario would probably play out that way, unless the existing Oak or SD stadiums can be renovated for far less than the cost of building a new stadium. If I was to purchase the Bills I would have to consider moving them to Oakland or SD (depending on which of them moved to L.A. ) and renovate the existing stadiums there if the numbers worked. I've never been in either stadium so who knows. The WNY economy is never going to move much beyond where it is today, therefore revenue from this market is kind of a given. Not so in California. California will recover and grow again.

Team

Pretty cool website. that scene would certainly beat the Ralph in December. Of course its 25 miles from L.A. proper, so who knows who would come that far.

Team

So we finally figure out why the Bills have sucked the last 10 years. It's all the stadiums fault.

Fancy new stadium means the LA Jags suit up in 2011. Though I suppose the name Jags won't really make any sense.

But seriously, they are like a biscuit above a UFL team now. They had to tarp off like half the upper deck yesterday. There's no real incentive to move the Bills when we have teams like that.

And we ARE an UFL team. Performance-wise. Also, the financials of the Jags and the Bills are likely very similar. they have 30% less fans but their ticket/suite prices are probably 30% higher and revenue per game (including suites, etc.) is comparable.

Pretty cool website. that scene would certainly beat the Ralph in December. Of course its 25 miles from L.A. proper, so who knows who would come that far.

there's really no such thing as LA proper...that location would be fine...Nobody complains that the Ducks or Angels play too far away for people

Its straight sprawl until you get past Ontario anyway...

And we ARE an UFL team. Performance-wise. Also, the financials of the Jags and the Bills are likely very similar. they have 30% less fans but their ticket/suite prices are probably 30% higher and revenue per game (including suites, etc.) is comparable.

How do you think the Bills and Jags are similar? What are you baseing that off of. The Jags have little to no fan base what so ever. They have 40k show up to their games. I know the Bills ticket prices are maybe a little less, but no where near enough to offest the 30k more people that go to games. Personally i think you are pulling numbers out your ahole. The Jags move first. They are a newer franchise, that never really caught on.

Team

Thanks for posting this. San Diego has had issues for years getting a new stadium and has threatened to leave (they wanted to build it in ****ty Chula Vista, but it never happened), but I think finally they're getting somewhere in these negotiations. They are talking about building one downtown near where the Padres play, IIRC. Oakland is having major issues and would be a logical choice to move there: bay area fans are already 49er fans and they're a better team anyway. The ones that aren't will make the occasional trek down to the LA area. There have to be residual LA Raider fans too. I would love to see them go instead of Jacksonville since that would still leave the Jags as the #1 contender for relocation for whatever the next city is (you cited San Antonio, for instance).

The LA Lakers doesn't make any sense either.

Not according to Forbes. I know, I know, it would have taken a full ten seconds to look it up: http://bizoffootball.com/index.php?option=...n&Itemid=61

How do you think the Bills and Jags are similar? What are you baseing that off of. The Jags have little to no fan base what so ever. They have 40k show up to their games. I know the Bills ticket prices are maybe a little less, but no where near enough to offest the 30k more people that go to games. Personally i think you are pulling numbers out your ahole. The Jags move first. They are a newer franchise, that never really caught on.

Well lets see FOrbes NFL team value they are close...keep in mind though if the bills stop selling out this changes dramatically...if the jags start selling out they move way ahead

Buffalo Bills 909 million Jacksonville 866 milion OAk 797 mil

revenue operating Income (money after debt)

Buf 189 39.5 mil

Jacks 189 26.9 mil

vikes 182 8.2 mil

Oak 215 -5.7 mil

Bills are 12th in the league for 2008 in profit/op income this is consistent for the last 10 years..(no stadium cost) in 2006 the bills were 7th

My money is on oakland or the Vikes. Oakland is the best deal for a businessman cheapest team with cheapest move.

Also on an interesting note the most valuable team the cowgirls at 1.6 billion has rev of just 280 and operating income of only 9.2 mil this is before the new stadium

Dont forget Minn. From what I hear their dome is falling apart around itself and their lease expires in 2011 or 2012 I think. Them and the Jags are 1 and 2, Bills a distant third to move IMO (as SD and Oak are only going to LA, nowhere else.)

Also on an interesting note the most valuable team the cowgirls at 1.6 billion has rev of just 280 and operating income of only 9.2 mil this is before the new stadium

I would guess that stadium revenue not tied directly to the Cowboys will not be credited to the team. Took a tour of the place last week and hated it. Don't get me wrong - it is impressive because of its proportions but it is also the biggeset drawback. Tour had us sit in $250 per game seats and you felt as though you were a mile from the field. No character to it - just smacks of "give me your money."

I am not sure that pro football can remain in Buffalo given the economic realities. However, if the cowboys represent what the NFL needs to be become I will not miss it.

Looking at this from a business standpoint, Buffalo is a good contributor (Operating Income as a percentage of Revenue for year). If I buy this team (wish I could...) there is no way I move it. Buffalo is number nine in percent of contribution in the league, given my revenue "opportunity". If I were to move, I would need to think of adding capital cost (new stadium) plus "good will" expenses that I would need to eat (losing a fan base and trying to win a new fan base cost $$$) could get VERY expensive along the way. Why in the heck would I want to upset the apple cart when I am making one of the most "efficient" profits in the NFL? Sure, revenue drives a lot of things along the way, but Ralph has obviously done a great job making the "buffalo ride the nickel" when it comes to making his dollars work well for himself and the franchise....that is, when it comes to making profit...

Dont forget Minn. From what I hear their dome is falling apart around itself and their lease expires in 2011 or 2012 I think. Them and the Jags are 1 and 2, Bills a distant third to move IMO (as SD and Oak are only going to LA, nowhere else.)

The Metrodome isn't falling apart, but it's a dump to watch sports in. Local lawmakers have been haggling about a new stadium for years -- and the past couple of weeks the talk here is that if something isn't done in the next few months, the team will move. We'll see...

Look, you guys need to relax and play things out.

This is whats going to happen

On 2012 there will be a huge Nuclear war and most major cities will be wiped out (to include LA). The Bills will stay put due to a huge flea market on the old Aud site and the great tax revenue that Thrift and Liquor stores will generate downtown. Ralph will be frozen in carbonite so the IRS can not consider him dead, so minus the tax. Ralph's wife will sell the team to Travis Henry who will want the Bills to stay in Buffalo because 11 of his 15 children live here and he wants to be close.

Thats the way I look at things

California is in bad shape economically (worse than NY if you can believe that). There's no public money available for any stadium schemes. Again from the LA site...

Will you use public money and cause our taxes to go up?

Just as we did with our Staples Center Project we will privately finance the stadium, office and retail project. The strength of the LA economy enables us to garner a higher price for naming opportunities, suites, club seats and sponsorships, which will enable us to privately finance the stadium and make the team financially secure. [/i]

The Oakland Coliseum is old, but it's not like the Raiders deserve to play in anything better. The City and State put 200 million into it to get Davis to agree to come back in the 90's. I doubt that Oakland or the State will pay to do much more with the Coliseum. SD is pretty much in the same boat. They need public money to do anything and they wont get it.

I think Oak or SD is going to end up in LA, with SD a slight favorite. Not sure what will happen with Jax or Min. If you research the net, San Antonio is one of the only viable options for any team looking to move. However, after LA and SA get teams, where would any other team be able to go? I highly doubt that Oak or SD would be able to lure a team without a new stadium in place.

If you're the new owner of the Bills, would you risk your own money to renovate an old stadium after its existing team moves out? And in the case of Oak, moves for a second time in 20 years? I'd rather stay in Buf, take my chances with higher ticket prices, and move a second game to TO.

That scenario would probably play out that way, unless the existing Oak or SD stadiums can be renovated for far less than the cost of building a new stadium. If I was to purchase the Bills I would have to consider moving them to Oakland or SD (depending on which of them moved to L.A. ) and renovate the existing stadiums there if the numbers worked. I've never been in either stadium so who knows. The WNY economy is never going to move much beyond where it is today, therefore revenue from this market is kind of a given. Not so in California. California will recover and grow again.

I would guess that stadium revenue not tied directly to the Cowboys will not be credited to the team. Took a tour of the place last week and hated it. Don't get me wrong - it is impressive because of its proportions but it is also the biggeset drawback. Tour had us sit in $250 per game seats and you felt as though you were a mile from the field. No character to it - just smacks of "give me your money."

I am not sure that pro football can remain in Buffalo given the economic realities. However, if the cowboys represent what the NFL needs to be become I will not miss it.

It'd be nice to see someone build a new, luxury box-filled, state of the art stadium that still retained the appeal of the older fan-friendly stadiums. In much the same way as the Orioles' ball field did, it could recapture what it means to attend a game while changing the way these monstrosities are built.

Just my opinion, but the Bills haven't "opened" a "new stadium" discussion with NYS or Erie County. If and when that happens...then the next question is how do the powers to be respond. Given that the Yanks and Mets have their stadiums...the State has no other major league team to pander to...except for the Bills.

Politically, I can see NYS and WNY officials bending over backwards to keep the Bills. We have not gotten to that point...so I think the teams in play are those with obvious issues (ie: Jags, Bolts and Raiders).

The big elephant in the room regarding this issue is the economy. At this point any person or gorup of people who might want to buy an NFL team are going to have to take out a sizable loan to make it happen. Currently, that money is going to be difficult to come by, even for a mostly sure bet like NFL football. I'm not saying that the NFL won't expand again, but I think plans for immediate expansion are on hold.

And the name "Bills" is easily the most unuseable name for ANY other city besides Buffalo, which is why I could care less if the team gets moved, because the name will most certainly be left in Buffalo, ready for the next expansion. This is why I sometimes wish it would just happen, already. By the time I'm retired and ready to tailgate, the new Bills will be ready to play!

There is no point to any league without fans. The Bills have one of the most rabid fan bases in the entire NFL. If the Bills leave Buffalo the entire NFL will suffer for it. Look at Basketball, the TV ratings for the NBA are abysmal & get worse every year. I heard the other day that the players are going to have to accept that salaries are going to be going down because the revenue intake is dropping. That's what they get for taking the Braves out of Buffalo. :wallbash:

There is no point to any league without fans. The Bills have one of the most rabid fan bases in the entire NFL. If the Bills leave Buffalo the entire NFL will suffer for it. Look at Basketball, the TV ratings for the NBA are abysmal & get worse every year. I heard the other day that the players are going to have to accept that salaries are going to be going down because the revenue intake is dropping. That's what they get for taking the Braves out of Buffalo. :wallbash:

That's what they get for being the Clippers... hope they have enjoyed the last 30 years of suckitude.

Likely and probably, two words that translate to you being lazy and not looking up the ACTUAL numbers. Way to look awesome, you should guess for a living.... :wallbash:

BTW, you're wrong, by a whole lot.

Chargers in LA makes the most sense. It doesn't upset the divisions. The team is still close enough for hard-core fans SD fans to follow the team. Chargers want a new stadium, and they aren't gettng one from the city or state. This would brings all of SoCal into one NFL maket. Plus the Chargers are good so fair weather L.A. fans will follow them.

PTR

cant find anything on that website about finding the team.

Team

Don't take my Raiders or Chargers.

It is our understanding that the National Football League has no intention of expanding, but they do want to be in Los Angeles. State-of-the-art stadiums are required for teams to stay competitive in today's NFL. We do not control what team will play in the new Los Angeles Stadium, but we do know it will be an existing team that needs to move because they cannot build a new stadium or financially they are not successful in their current market. We can not disclose which teams we are talking with.

Be a great new home for the Bills. :wallbash: That's an awesome design.