Can We All Agree That If Shanahan

BuffaloBaumer

And He leaves without a contract or verbal agreement, conversation is over as far as him being head coach. Cowher already said he was waiting until end of year to see options, Holmgren (leaning towards Cleveland..who knows).

Obviously Shanahan is not picking Buffalo at the end of the year when these other cities come into play. Ralph WILL throw the kitchen sink at this guy this week and we just have to pray that it sways Shanny to take the job. This has to happen this week. I think all the eggs are in this basket!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry i am not agreeing to your opinion because i disagree. Somewhat tired of people who say that Buffalo isn't attractive to guys like Mike Shanahan. Nobody on this board or in the media has any idea what Shanahan wants.

I have never bought into the "Ralph cares more about money than winning" line of thinking. And I tend to believe him when he says he's willing to throw up to $10 million at a coach this time around.

That being the case, I don't feel Buffalo is as undesirable a location as people around here and in the media are making out to be. I think Dallas and Washington will be the top two locations for coaches because of the history of those clubs. Remember, these top coaches we're talking about (Cowher, Holmgren, Dungy, Shanahan) are football guys first and foremost, and even though we despise both those organizations, the Cowboys and Redskins are two of the most storied franchises in the league. The chance to make their mark along side of the likes of Landry and Gibbs would be a hard opportunity to pass up.

Buffalo is respected in the NFL as having a passionate fanbase. Coaches love to work for those types of clubs too. Especially knowing that the first coach to bring Lombardy home to Buffalo will in essence be sainted. But still, from a nostalgic, historical perspective, Buffalo can't compete with the luster of a Dallas or Washington.

So, if Shanahan leaves without a contract (which I suspect he will), I don't think it necessarily rules out Buffalo. I do think Dallas and Washington will scoop up two of the top coaches, but that would still leave Buffalo with a wealth of options. And once the situation in Dallas and Washington are cleared up, then I think Buffalo jumps to the top of the list of desirable coaching spots.

They would have to get creative if they planned to hire him this week in order to circumvent the Rooney rule.

Actually, they wouldn't. A big reason why I think Perry was promoted over April was precisely to avoid that. If the Bills hire Shanny now, they can make a compelling case that they gave Perry more than an interview. They gave him the job.

Sorry i am not agreeing to your opinion because i disagree. Somewhat tired of people who say that Buffalo isn't attractive to guys like Mike Shanahan. Nobody on this board or in the media has any idea what Shanahan wants.

I believe that Buffalo will end up with a new GM and a good coach but as far as Shanahan, I really think it's this week or nada.

i understand where your going with this, but i mostly disagree. first of all, it is unlikely that shanahan will leave that meeting with a done deal, verbal or otherwise. at best he leaves saying he is very interested. the bills still need to meet the "rooney" rules which cover coaches and GM's. that will take time, unless they are willing to lose a draft pick over violating that hiring policy.

in general, i feel that Ralph is sincere in his belief that cleaning house is in order and that he is willing to pay top dollar for a coach and gm. i believe this because Russ Brandon has convinced him that this is the only way to sell tickets. buffalo is a very desirable job for a new gm because they are in great shape with the salary cap which means a new GM can make an immediate impact. shanahan would be a great hire. but,if it's not shanahan, there are several other very acceptable candidates. who knows how much say shanahan had in denver related to the draft, he was not the gm there. i still feel strongly that the most important person is the one with final say in the draft and free agents. i have previously mentioned GM only candidates like Charlie Casserly and Floyd Reese.

to conclude, if we dont get shanahan, all is not lost. there are numerous other options that will get the fan base back on the band wagon.

Sadly, yes, I agree with the O.P.

If MS leaves the Buff for a holiday family meal without a commitment, the Bills will have to start lowering expectations.

Dammit! I'm getting sick of prefacing every response to a gloom/doom Bills forecast with 'Sadly..'!!

They would have to get creative if they planned to hire him this week in order to circumvent the Rooney rule.

They would just have to pay a fine. It was done before in Detroit.

if i were Ralph, id try to argue that there is no need for the Rooney rule here since we are already interviewing a minority by having Fewell act as interim coach

I agree that there is a great deal of pressure on the Bills to sign Shanahan this week or start looking elsewhere. That said, if he leaves without a contract, I am not going to panic as there are several other very good candidates. But I do want someone who has proven himself as a very good head coach already. We are too desperate to risk any more than we have to.

I keep thinking about the fact that the current state of the team is abysmal. I am not sure a top-tier coach such as Shanahan would want to jump right into this situation, tied to the current roster simply due to the inherent limitation this late in the season. Maybe he'd like to come in as head of football ops now with the unannounced plan to appoint himself head coach at the conclusion of the season.

I agree that there is a great deal of pressure on the Bills to sign Shanahan this week or start looking elsewhere. That said, if he leaves without a contract, I am not going to panic as there are several other very good candidates. But I do want someone who has proven himself as a very good head coach already. We are too desperate to risk any more than we have to.

I keep thinking about the fact that the current state of the team is abysmal. I am not sure a top-tier coach such as Shanahan would want to jump right into this situation, tied to the current roster simply due to the inherent limitation this late in the season. Maybe he'd like to come in as head of football ops now with the unannounced plan to appoint himself head coach at the conclusion of the season.

I agree that all is not lost if he is not signed because there are plenty of options. I just REALLY want this to happen.

Yeah, I agree.

He actually has been reported as saying that he is "intrigued" about the thought of coaching the Bills because their financial situation is so solid.

And if he wasn't interested, he wouldn't be coming to Buffalo this week for an interview.

I agree that all is not lost if he is not signed because there are plenty of options. I just REALLY want this to happen.

Me too.

If you read today's Washington Times article about how Ralph Wilson is going to leave no stone unturned in fixing the Bills, I think that a more conservative (if possible) approach for our emotions may be warranted.

In the article, no one's job is safe. They will be considering a football GM.

Now, this runs contrary to the reports that the Bills will be throwing everything they can at Shanahan so that he does not leave until he is coach of the Bills.

If it does not materialize this week, I would not give up hope. I think that Shanahan would ultimately fix the offense and get this team headed in the right direction, but I have 2 concerns.

First, if Shanahan becomes the coach/ GM, not even the Tuna himself could successfully handle those dual roles. That is what got Shanahan chased out of Denver, and I don't know if it ultimately would be in Shanahan's best interest (or Holmgren, or Cowher) to serve both roles. They are both so consuming that 'a house divided will not stand'. They will be performing well in one, but not the other, or vice versa. That concerns me.

Second, Shanahan would be a great addition, but ultimately I still fault the severe lack of competent talent people being what has hindered Buffalo the most. John Guy and Tom Modrak will be on their 4th coach, 3rd roster being remade, and perhaps 6th starting QB. Does anyone else see what I am getting at? If after all of those changes the product still remains the same, that isn't ability, scheme, style of coaching, or what meal they had prior to the game. In all of that change, the only 2 constants: Guy and Modrak will need to be sent packing.

If those 2 idiots are still with the team next offseason, I think that whoever comes in as head coach of the Bills will be severely hindered by the horrible choices Modrak and Guy have proven they are capable of.

8 years going now, and what have Modrak and Guy got to show for it?

Yeah, I agree.

He actually has been reported as saying that he is "intrigued" about the thought of coaching the Bills because their financial situation is so solid.

And if he wasn't interested, he wouldn't be coming to Buffalo this week for an interview.

Shanahan wants to work in 2010. No other opportunities are guaranteed. The Bills offer control. Shanny can bring in his son as offensive coordinator/assistant HC and groom him as an evenutal replacement. That has to be appealing. Moreover, if Shanahan really does love Jimmy Clausen as Allen Wilson reports, then we may be in a position to scratch that itch.

Shanahan wants to work in 2010. No other opportunities are guaranteed. The Bills offer control. Shanny can bring in his son as offensive coordinator/assistant HC and groom him as an evenutal replacement. That has to be appealing. Moreover, if Shanahan really does love Jimmy Clausen as Allen Wilson reports, then we may be in a position to scratch that itch.

Right.

I was responding to someone stating that he probably does not want to come to Buffalo.

He wouldn't be wasting his time if he wasn't interested.