Hot Rumor on ESPNews earlier.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

say no to Dungy he would bring Vik plus Tampa 2 stinks and he loves it. Its time to dump the Tampa 2 and get a coach in here that can build a championship defense

I'm gonna need a link to your avatar.

And I hate the Tampa 2. Pressure and Kill the QB is how you win on defense, not this passive crap.

Winning in a dome is different than winning in Buffalo in late November/December. The most important change that will be made in the next few months (besides bringing back Rusty or Allaire) will be which GM is selected.

He will be the link that will hire coordinators and manage the draft. That will make more of a difference than whether we hire Dungy, Shanahan or Cowher IMHO.

You know Dungy had a pretty mediocre record before he finally struck gold the Colts. Having Peyton Manning in his prime as your QB doesn't hurt. I would not get all sweaty over Dungy.

PTR

He made the bucks a respectable organization and it could be argued that the SB the won the year after he was canned was because of him - he should be THRILLED if he is interested.

i wouldn;'t go so far as to call him a 'dummy' but I have gotten a kick out of alot of posters on this board that haven't been happy with any of the proven winners that are being tossed around as potential candidates....Shanahan had Elway...Dungy had Manning and Polian, Cowher had a system that works....etc....etc.....etc....we have become a very jaded bunch of fans....its actually pretty sad....

why! who the hell do want for a coach.There is no such thing as a perfect coach you dummy.

I would certainly have to disagree with you. He took one of the biggest embarrassments of a pro sports franchise in Tampa and built a Super-Bowl-caliber team. Then, he turned around and built that Colts team around Peyton Manning.

competely agreed. his only problem there was he couldn't get shaun king to do anything. he built the team that Gruden won with. in my book dungy's got two rings...

he'd be an excellent fit. someone that resembles marv but is clearly a far better coach and knows defense well. i just hate the tampa 2 but hey, he knows it better than anyone.

So now I pose the question what would you guys think of a Dungy/Weis combo here? I, personally, would take that in a "New York minute". Dungy is a proven guy at building defenses and Weis did wonders with less than exceptional personel in New England. I think it would change the landscape around here for sure.

Weis blows -

too bad we don't have Tom Brady to make him look good

he was so critical to the Pats success that it improved dramatically after he left

and Notre Dame has been so much improved after he took over.

how about a real coach who has a proven track record as a HEAD coach.

It's all for naught anyway, if they don't bring in a real NFL quality GM and talent evaluator

I didn't see anything about this on the boards, and I feel it certainly deserves a thread. I was just watching ESPNews, and during their "Hot Rumor" segment, they were talking about Dungy possibly beng interested in the Buffalo vacancy. Apparently, the rumor stems from a radio interview he did earlier today where he would not confirm or deny that he was interested in the Bills head job.

It sounds far fetched at first pass, but if you look at his previous two jobs, they would certainly be regarded as rebuilding projects. He is, by all accounts, a very humble family-man, and his values and appreciation of a strong community atmosphere may fit perfectly with the region.

Sorry for a lack of link. As I said, it was on TV.

How exactly was Indy a rebuilding project when they already had Peyton, Marvin Harrison and Edge in place and were a playoff team in 99 and 2000?

Although Wyche had 4 straight losing seasons in Tampa they added a lot of talent during his time like Derrick Brooks, Warren Sapp and John Lynch so they certainly were not a rebuilding project either and were heading in the right direction

The fact is Dungy didnt play a big role in rebuilding either team and certainly didnt win as much as he should have with either team considering the talent he had on both

I'll take a pass on the very overrated Dungy

I would certainly have to disagree with you. He took one of the biggest embarrassments of a pro sports franchise in Tampa and built a Super-Bowl-caliber team. Then, he turned around and built that Colts team around Peyton Manning.

you really dont know what you are talking about

I didn't see anything about this on the boards, and I feel it certainly deserves a thread. I was just watching ESPNews, and during their "Hot Rumor" segment, they were talking about Dungy possibly beng interested in the Buffalo vacancy. Apparently, the rumor stems from a radio interview he did earlier today where he would not confirm or deny that he was interested in the Bills head job.

It sounds far fetched at first pass, but if you look at his previous two jobs, they would certainly be regarded as rebuilding projects. He is, by all accounts, a very humble family-man, and his values and appreciation of a strong community atmosphere may fit perfectly with the region.

Sorry for a lack of link. As I said, it was on TV.

Say no to dungy....Say yes to Brian Bilick

Peyton manning as your QB, Bill Polian as the GM.

Yup PTR, I think your correct in assuming Dungy had some help along the way, but the same can be said for Cowher or Shanahn I suppose, they all had one thing in common when winning their championships and that's having some damn good QB's at the helm.

peyton has one more year on his contract!!!!!!!!!!

This is what was posted on the Bills board.

Dungy interested in Bills?

10:23AM ET

Tony Dungy | Colts

Top Email

Appearing on the Dan Patrick Show recently, former NFL head coach Tony Dungy was asked a battery of questions on the current NFL hot topics.

While his new advisory role and the issue of concussions were interesting -- as was his take that Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis "is a brilliant offensive mind" that "could help a lot of teams in the NFL" -- the most captivating segment was talking about the job opening with the Buffalo Bills.

Although Dungy did reiterate that he's happy as a TV analyst, and in his new advisory role, he did recount how he took the "bad job" in Tampa Bay and turned the franchise into a competitive one by the time he was done there. Dungy says it's the same in Buffalo right now: the right coach will be able to make them big-time.

Seems like maybe he is considering this job, and perhaps other jobs, after all.

I dont get Dungy is interesrted in the Buffalo job from that. Dungy has a lot of other interests he wants to pursue. I doubt he is interested one iota.

I actually think many posters have the situation in Indy vis a vis Dungy, Manning etc. lookes at backwards, It is one way to accurately look at this to see that this team as primarily a Manning team and O team and this rather than Dungy is where the credit goes.

First it is a team game and they all deserve significant credit. But the fact is try as he might as good as he is Manning was not good enough to get the job done.

It is actually Dungy that put Manning and Indy over the top rather than simply trying to claim this was all Manning and not any significant Dungy.

The fact is that Dungy has played a significant role in two SB worthy teams. Would he be an upgrade for the Bill?

For sure this is not a hard thing to do.

Weis blows -

too bad we don't have Tom Brady to make him look good

he was so critical to the Pats success that it improved dramatically after he left

and Notre Dame has been so much improved after he took over.

how about a real coach who has a proven track record as a HEAD coach.

It's all for naught anyway, if they don't bring in a real NFL quality GM and talent evaluator

Uhhhhh...........Weis didn't have Moss or Welker to work with when he was there. He had a bunch of WR's like Troy Brown, David Patten, David Givens, and Deion Branch whom who designed plays for to make them successful. Weis has been a good offensive coach at ND. His teams have put up record numbers for yardage and points. It's the defenses under his reign that have been crap. Finally, the post said a Dungy/Weis combo which means Dungy as HC and Weis as OC. Both of those guys have proven track records in the NFL as being winners or is a combined 4 SB rings not enough for you? :(

You know Dungy had a pretty mediocre record before he finally struck gold the Colts. Having Peyton Manning in his prime as your QB doesn't hurt. I would not get all sweaty over Dungy.

PTR

What? Dungy?

His first head coaching job was in Tampa Bay.

'96 6 - 10

'97 10 - 6

'98 8 - 8

'99 11 - 5

'00 10 - 6

'01 9 - 7

He made the playoffs there 4 out of 6 years.

Before Dungy got there, the Bucs record looked like this:

'76 0- 14

'77 2 - 12

'78 5 - 11

'79 10 - 6

'80 5 - 10

'81 9 - 7

'82 5 - 4

'83 2 - 14

'84 6 - 10

'85 2 - 14

'86 2 - 14

'87 4 - 11

'88 5 - 11

'89 5 - 11

'90 6 - 10

'91 3 - 13

'92 5 - 11

'93 5 - 11

'94 6 - 10

'95 7 - 9

Two winning seasons before Dungy got there. Dungy installed a winning attitude and absolutely turned that franchise around.

Having said that, man is that pathetic when a no comment is read as "it might happen." Dungy isn't coaching anymore.

The Bucs were a joke when Wyche was hired, many of the pieces were in place when Dungy was hired. Wyche has said that if he had another year or two he would have had the Bucs in the Super Bowl & he may be right.

Wyche had four years there.

5 - 11

5 - 11

6 - 10

7 - 9

Maybe another five years at his rate of improving slightly less than 1 game per year.

What is with the DUNGY built? He built NEITHER the Bucs or the Colts, he coached the players that the GM's gave him. Yeah Dungy got the Bucs to the playoffs, but if he had hired a GOOD OC he would have had the Bucs in the Super Bowl. Trust me, Dungys Bucs offense was NO better than the Bills offense under Jauron.

He had Trent Dilfer at QB all five years in Tampa Bay. What do you expect?

His defenses, on the other hand, in points allowed rankings:

That is seriously consistent.

Wyche's defenses, in points allowed rankings:

Dungy's D's rankings in yards allowed:

Wyche's D's rankings in yards allowed:

Major major improvement took place after Dungy got there.

He had Trent Dilfer at QB all five years in Tampa Bay. What do you expect?

His defenses, on the other hand, in points allowed rankings:

That is seriously consistent.

Wyche's defenses, in points allowed rankings:

Dungy's D's rankings in yards allowed:

Wyche's D's rankings in yards allowed:

Major major improvement took place after Dungy got there.

The Ravens won a Super Bowl with Trent.

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Spoken like a true Pats* fan.....still stinging from last week's choke job, no doubt.

As to the topic at hand, I'd be ecstatic if we got Dungy. I'm not sure what folks are smoking above bashing him. He had a major hand in building two great winning teams, first in Tampa and then in Indy, taking teams that were perennial losers before he got there and turning them into winners. What's not to like?

Rich McKay built the Bucs, not Dungy. Bill Polian built the Colts & hired Dungy who brought his defense which is what the Colts were lacking.

Dungy has said he doesn't want to Coach anymore, & why would ANYONE quit the Colts to Coach the Bills?

Same could be said about Cowher, and yet everyone keeps going on about how they want to see him coach here

Dungy as HC with an actual GM (like Floyd Reese or someone like him) would be my dream scenario. I don't really want Cowher or Shanahan as Coach and GM. I think it is pretty well proven that one person cannot do both roles and do them well.

Give me Reese and Dungy and I would be thrilled. But then we'd have Vick, not too sure about that.

Floyd Reese is ours

So did the guys before him who couldn't get to a Super Bowl. Dungy built them a for-real defense which was the final piece to the puzzle.

a for real defense, are you kidding me? they had an awful defense the year they won the super bowl ranking at or near the bottom...they got to play the Bears in the super bowl, enough said

and if they did have such a for real defense wouldnt they have made it to and won more then one super bowl with the offense they had?

the Colts were def not in a rebuilding mode when Dungy took over....they went 13-3 in 99 and 10-6 in 2000 making the playoffs both years before going 6-10 in 2001 and firing Mora

Dungy should have won more then he did with the talent he had in both Tampa and Indy but he is way too conservative and employs the same crap Cover 2 defense we all have seen enough of

this team needs an aggressive coach that will change everything

If Dungy came to Buffalo, he'd instantly try to grab Mike Vick and bring him here, with him. That would officially end my 39-year tenure as a rabid Buffalo Bills fan. In fact, I probably would not watch another NFL game ever again if that were to occur.

Ummmm ever heard of Belicheck or Cowher? Now they are perfect coaches...

Evan these 2 aren't perfect coaches did you see last weeks game against the colts. Belicheck went for it on 4th down and it cost him the game and Cower even lost a superbowl once there close but not perfect

i wouldn;'t go so far as to call him a 'dummy' but I have gotten a kick out of alot of posters on this board that haven't been happy with any of the proven winners that are being tossed around as potential candidates....Shanahan had Elway...Dungy had Manning and Polian, Cowher had a system that works....etc....etc.....etc....we have become a very jaded bunch of fans....its actually pretty sad....

Well said and I was just joking about the dummy part I don't think Promo The Robot is a dummy at all he usually post pretty good threads.

Rich McKay built the Bucs, not Dungy. Bill Polian built the Colts & hired Dungy who brought his defense which is what the Colts were lacking.

Dungy has said he doesn't want to Coach anymore, & why would ANYONE quit the Colts to Coach the Bills?

Ok so almost ANY great coach in history that was not a GM cannot be given any credit then. Thou must give entire credit to the GM. Memo received.