Shanahan/Cowher talk is all a mirage IMO

Driftwood

All of this reeks of Russ trying to sell tickets/generate some buzz. I think we have a few big name courtesy interviews, and then end up with some scrub like Haslett or Killdrive, with Guy and Modrak staying.

I refuse to get excited until Guy and Modrak are fired.

Well I think that if it is all a mirage its not really to sell tickets. Its more of Russ and Ralph trying to look like they are doing their due diligence With the whole thing. How does interviewing coaches sell tickets if they don't get tired. To me its more of a well hire Jim Haslet or a no name coordinator but we tried to get Cower and Shanny they just didn't want to come here.

I too fear this is all a smokescreen, but I hope and pray we don't bring in Haslett. Former Bills player, so what. Former coach who couldn't get it done in NO at all, but shining in a league who's teams would lose to every team ranked in the NCAA top 25 on any day of the week makes you now an NFL coaching commodity? Give me a break. His name shouldn't even be allowed to be spelled out in alphabet soup, more or less in an article as a possible candidate for the Bills' head coaching position.

They basically had Haslett having the job back before Mularkey got hired. And his name came up before Jauron got hired, too. Russ and Ralph are all about lying to sell tickets. They're not going to sell tickets by creating hype surrounding big name coaches. It just doesn't make sense. I do believe that a legitimate GM is coming and he'll either be the GM/Coach, or he'll be a GM that brings a big name coach to Buffalo. My gut tells me it will be a GM/Coach because Ralph is still Ralph. He'd rather pay one huge salary than two. Ralph's gotten away with being "frugal" since the AFL. He knows it's time to start spending, and not just on one name that will generate ticket sales. This is the real deal. Maybe this is my Blind Buffalo Bills Fan optimism that we all succumb to every off season (albeit early this year), but I feel pretty good about this one. Let's just hope. And hope. And hope.

All of this reeks of Russ trying to sell tickets/generate some buzz. I think we have a few big name courtesy interviews, and then end up with some scrub like Haslett or Killdrive, with Guy and Modrak staying.

thanks for your opinion!

Haven't they already sold the tickets this year? How exactly would interviewing a bunch of big time coaches, only to go with someone else sell tickets in the future? They will already have signed a new coach once they start selling tickets for next year.

Exactly, its all BS like always with Ralph until he actually DOES something.

They basically had Haslett having the job back before Mularkey got hired. And his name came up before Jauron got hired, too. Russ and Ralph are all about lying to sell tickets. They're not going to sell tickets by creating hype surrounding big name coaches. It just doesn't make sense. I do believe that a legitimate GM is coming and he'll either be the GM/Coach, or he'll be a GM that brings a big name coach to Buffalo. My gut tells me it will be a GM/Coach because Ralph is still Ralph. He'd rather pay one huge salary than two. Ralph's gotten away with being "frugal" since the AFL. He knows it's time to start spending, and not just on one name that will generate ticket sales. This is the real deal. Maybe this is my Blind Buffalo Bills Fan optimism that we all succumb to every off season (albeit early this year), but I feel pretty good about this one. Let's just hope. And hope. And hope.

so after 50 years of hiring crappy coaches and GMs, Ralph is now going to spend big time

right ---

don't hold your breathe on that one

more likely Ralph pulls the bait and switch

hype Shanahan but hire the dirtbag re-tread like Haslet.

I think you are right. I just know that Jim Haslett is going to end up the coach. He's awful, but the old geezers that remember him as a Bill (I am one) will pump their fists, and talk about how "fiery" and "passionate" he is. And of course, Haslett will talk about the tradition, the great passionate fans, blahblahblah. I know it's coming.

He is a schmuck. Not a good head coach. I won't watch a game with him as the head coach.

Already there are news stories of the Bills contacting Gruden and Shannahan, There's a rumor of Dungy now too. We may not get these guys but it won't be for lack of trying. Some mirage.

PTR

A lot of people forget that we might not attract free agents and big name coaches not because Ralph is cheap or because he is stupid and/or evil BUT because its hard to get guys that want to come here. I honestly think Ralph wants to hire a Gruden, Shannahan, Cower, or Dungy type of coach and is willing to pay the 5-8 million dollar a year salary as well as hand over organizational control (From a football standpoint odds are Russ and Co will handle the other duties still)

BUT even that might not be enough to lure those guys here when Dallas or Washington can offer those things plus more stability (Bills moving possibility might steer away some coaches) and glamor (Buffalo isn't exactly the job everyone wants) so Ralph might be doing everything he can and it still might not pan out.

so after 50 years of hiring crappy coaches and GMs, Ralph is now going to spend big time

right ---

don't hold your breathe on that one

more likely Ralph pulls the bait and switch

hype Shanahan but hire the dirtbag re-tread like Haslet.

He has a history of spending on coaches and GMs. Just not every time.

Chuck Knox the second time around was paid highly. Donahoe, too.

Here and there he does it.

Haven't they already sold the tickets this year? How exactly would interviewing a bunch of big time coaches, only to go with someone else sell tickets in the future? They will already have signed a new coach once they start selling tickets for next year.

Too sensible, dude, too sensible. Your posts will be much more popular if you rant and rave and scream and yell. Just making sense won't impress people here.

He has a history of spending on coaches and GMs. Just not every time.

Chuck Knox the second time around was paid highly. Donahoe, too.

Here and there he does it.

pretty impressive track record

1 coach and 1 GM in 50 years

(chuck knox was only here once)

the remaining guys were re-treads, cast-offs or nobodies with no experience