Russ Brandon

Estelle Getty

The one positive thing you can say about him is he is a good marketing/sales man.

I think he will be able to talk Mike Shanahan into joining the Bills. Of course he will give up his "title" as GM for Mike. I think he would slide back into a more natural fit for him which is Marketing/helping make pesonel decisions.

He is a bright young mind, who's been hampered with Marv Levy's Ex Coach, Most of his roster, and a Senile owner who is leaning his mothball breath over the table everytime Brandon tries to make a decision.

I think he would without hesitation give the GM duties to Shanahan, I think even Ralph would agree to pay Shanahan a decent enough salary to make him happy.

Shanahan wants to get back into coaching and he'll have some decent young talent, early round draft picks and be far enough under the salary cap to get the free-agents he would desire.

This way Ralph will get to stay in Detroit and drag race his 92' Taurus against Jauron' 89 Trecel and Levy's Hearse. (Levy's always thinking)

The one positive thing you can say about him is he is a good marketing/sales man.

I think he will be able to talk Mike Shanahan into joining the Bills. Of course he will give up his "title" as GM for Mike. I think he would slide back into a more natural fit for him which is Marketing/helping make pesonel decisions.

He is a bright young mind, who's been hampered with Marv Levy's Ex Coach, Most of his roster, and a Senile owner who is leaning his mothball breath over the table everytime Brandon tries to make a decision.

I think he would without hesitation give the GM duties to Shanahan, I think even Ralph would agree to pay Shanahan a decent enough salary to make him happy.

Shanahan wants to get back into coaching and he'll have some decent young talent, early round draft picks and be far enough under the salary cap to get the free-agents he would desire.

This way Ralph will get to stay in Detroit and drag race his 92' Taurus against Jauron' 89 Trecel and Levy's Hearse. (Levy's always thinking)

i guess this Gem went under the radar

lol...

actually I don't get why some ppl keep saying fire the man...he's a great salesman, but just not a good GM...Ralph should just tell Russ "thanx for trying and putting up with my senile ****..now you can go back to what you do best"...

I don't get why Russ Brandon is thrown under the bus for the football operations role... This is a money guy, a marketing guy, and quite frankly, a guy who's done a fabulous job with limited resources. He doesn't really "oversee" the football operations at all. He's there, but he's not the guy. Anger should be directed at Guy, Modrak, etc. I say that you have to do 2 things:

1) keep brandon on the business side... change his title to VP of operations or something like that.

2) hire a GM and make him the VP of football operations.

3) the GM will hire a coach, scouting staff, etc.

If the bills are gonna roll with shanahan, give him that vp of football operations title so he can be GM and coach.

I don't get why Russ Brandon is thrown under the bus for the football operations role... This is a money guy, a marketing guy, and quite frankly, a guy who's done a fabulous job with limited resources. He doesn't really "oversee" the football operations at all. He's there, but he's not the guy. Anger should be directed at Guy, Modrak, etc. I say that you have to do 2 things:

1) keep brandon on the business side... change his title to VP of operations or something like that.

2) hire a GM and make him the VP of football operations.

3) the GM will hire a coach, scouting staff, etc.

If the bills are gonna roll with shanahan, give him that vp of football operations title so he can be GM and coach.

Russ Brandon should not be thrown under the bus. IMO he has wanted to get rid of DJ since the Jets game end of last year. What do TO and Shanny have in common? They are both winning moves from a marketing point of view. IMO Russ is behind not only the firing of DJ, (I think he finally prevailed upon a reluctant RW). but I think he is behind the move to try and land Shannahan. I think he wants to be successful as a GM, and I do not see his job title/position changing. Whether he will be able to overcome his non-football background and participate in making informed personnel decisions and show good judgement in the dificult process of talent evaluation will determine whether he becomes successful or not in his current role. Getting a coach who is good in that regard would obviously be a big step forward in his learning curve.

Russ Brandon should not be thrown under the bus. IMO he has wanted to get rid of DJ since the Jets game end of last year. What do TO and Shanny have in common? They are both winning moves from a marketing point of view. IMO Russ is behind not only the firing of DJ, (I think he finally prevailed upon a reluctant RW). but I think he is behind the move to try and land Shannahan. I think he wants to be successful as a GM, and I do not see his job title/position changing. Whether he will be able to overcome his non-football background and participate in making informed personnel decisions and show good judgement in the dificult process of talent evaluation will determine whether he becomes successful or not in his current role. Getting a coach who is good in that regard would obviously be a big step forward in his learning curve.

Brandon is not and never will be an NFL GM. Give him whatever title you want, but leave the football decisions to a yet to be named 'football guy'.

Hire a GM first and then choose your coach. I am not a fan of the Head Coach/General Manager. Shannahan couldn't do it in Denver. Holmgren couldn't do it in Seattle. Pig Faced Satan couldn't do it in Miami.

Hire a GM, then make sure the GM is strongly supportive of whoever you bring in as HC. Doing it the other way around is ass backwards and hamstrings the GM (assuming one is eventually hired).

Brandon is not and never will be an NFL GM. Give him whatever title you want, but leave the football decisions to a yet to be named 'football guy'.

Hire a GM first and then choose your coach. I am not a fan of the Head Coach/General Manager. Shannahan couldn't do it in Denver. Holmgren couldn't do it in Seattle. Pig Faced Satan couldn't do it in Miami.

Hire a GM, then make sure the GM is strongly supportive of whoever you bring in as HC. Doing it the other way around is ass backwards and hamstrings the GM (assuming one is eventually hired).

I agree and I also worry that we may be going about this in the wrong way. Ideally you would first hire a (good) GM and then a (good) coach. But I just don't think that is what we are actually doing. My guess is Russ does not see himself relinquishing responsibility/power through this process. That is why we appear to be looking for a coach and not a GM, at least officially that is.

I don't have a problem with Brandon. That being said, I don't want him being the GM. It's encouraging to me that they want to bring in a football guy as GM. That's a big blow to Brandon's ego. Either that or Brandon himself knows he's in over his head. I'm glad his name didn't appear on the billboard.

100% correct, he is the COO of the Bills. The Bills have no one in the front office with the sole title of GM. Rumors are that Brandon is the one pushing for someone with experience to come in a be the GM, probably because he knows that it was a bad move to create a joint GM position in the Bills organization. He is taking the blame unjustly from most fans who do not know that he is not truly the GM.

To the OP,

I think is was a fine post, I agree. It is funny when somebody that has to disagree with everything said, can only find a typo in your post. You stay classy.

WOW!

Talk about reaching ...

Don't strain yourself.