Marty Schottenheimer

rpcolosi

I'm not the type of guy to believe in superstition or "the unexplained", but I really believe that Marty Schottenheimer will bring this team a Super Bowl victory (after a couple of years of rebuilding). I have no real reasoning to back this up, just a hunch that he and our beloved team are due.

He has history here, and I can't think of anybody who yearns for, has been so close they can taste it, or deserves a Super Bowl victory more than we do, other than Marty. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but if we win a Super Bowl under Marty Schottenheimer, that's proof that there is justice in the world.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a link to this comment from Parcells? I am not doubting he said it, but I would like to see the context.

Was he saying it is a perfect place for football - because any team he brings in to play the Bills - wins?

I referenced this Parcells quote a few weeks ago, from a book he wrote, called, somthing like "My Last Season Coaching in the NFL"...it chronicled his final season, coaching the New York Jets. Believe it or not, I read it in a used book store one evening, while waiting for my gf to finish shopping...I wish I had purchased the book now...

I am paraphrasing a bit, but, in the book, when talking about taking his Jets squad to Orchard Park, he said something to the effect of "A place like Buffalo is my favorite road trip. I love the atmosphere, the intensity of the fans, the tailgating... I feel 20 years younger whenever I go there. If I get that amped to play in Buffalo, my players better too. Road trips to places like Buffalo, Kansas City, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh, where football is in the air, around the clock, are a great gauge of what kind of team you have. If guys can't get fired up to play in Buffalo, they probably don't belong on my squad..." Strangely, I remember him mentioning Miami as one of the "non-football cities" that he didn't get so excited about...too many distractions.

All that said, I would love to see Parcells, or someone with an old-school, hard edge like that, come to Buffalo. I never cared much for Tom Coughlin, but I now admire what he has done with the Giants.

Marty would be great, assuming he still has a desire to coach. The playoff record, to me, is not a deterent. He may have been conservative to a fault, but, I think it is his conservative nature that got some mediocre squads to reach heights that they might not have, under lesser coaches.

I think what bothers me almost as much as anything, about the current state of the Bills, it is not just the losing (god knows we have been through that a lot over my 45 years with this team) it is just the softness of the squad. They don't seem physically, or mentally strong...this is Dick Jaurons' team. It is going to be gutted...why not build it back on a strong foundation? Marty has been a consistent winner in this league with simple, NFL pricniples that just don't change.

Jason LaCanfora was on WGR this morning and floated the idea of Marty as a GM/Ops guy rather than head coach. Seems he's been out of coaching too long to want to jump back into it full time. Marty could build the team from the front office, identifying coaches and players for the Bills. This idea may have some legs.

There may only be 2-3 marquis names available. Gruden and Dungy say they don't want to coach. Shanny, Holmgren and Cowher will have their pick of teams including Carolina, Dallas, Chicago, Washington, etc. Places the Bills may have trouble competing with.

Jason also pointed out that there is no reason to get our collective pantes in a knot. Nothing is going to happen before the season ends. Not for us or any team in the league. This is not the Bills dithering. It's the Bills formulating their plan and talking to everyone, including coaches and front office peple who cannot be interviewed while the season is in progress.

PTR

Marty is a senior citizen. Even Marv wasn't a senior citizen when he took over the Bills.

When I think of Marty, I can only think of another good coach who couldn't win a Super Bowl: Chuck Knox. After three successful stints (LA, Buffalo, Seattle), he went back to the Rams and coached them as an old man. They were bad; the game seemed to have pass him by.

Marty has had three successful stints (Cleveland, KC, SD, with a quick trip to DC), and he's now an old man. I wouldn't hire him.

Marty is a senior citizen. Even Marv wasn't a senior citizen when he took over the Bills.

When I think of Marty, I can only think of another good coach who couldn't win a Super Bowl: Chuck Knox. After three successful stints (LA, Buffalo, Seattle), he went back to the Rams and coached them as an old man. They were bad; the game seemed to have pass him by.

Marty has had three successful stints (Cleveland, KC, SD, with a quick trip to DC), and he's now an old man. I wouldn't hire him.

I used to be rah rah rah after marty until i took a long look at his career, the guy knows how to build a winner, just not a playoff winner.

While Shanahan is still out there I'll hold out hope for him, this franchise needs a proven SB winner in the worst way.

I think I'd go after Brian Billick before Marty at this point, he knows what it takes to get there and win.

Per rumor wire on espn insider this morning:

Senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen is now saying that Marty Schottenheimer's name is one under discussion by the Buffalo Bills in a recent Tweet.

We had word on the Schottenheimer speculation last week, with credit to AFC East blogger Tim Graham, who included him on his list of candidates. Schottenheimer was dumped by the Chargers after leading them to a 14-2 record in the 2007 season, and played for the Bills in the 1960's.

Last week we noted an interesting angle to the Schottenheimer hire: it would open the door for him to hire his son, Brian Schottenheimer, as offensive coordinator -- a reverse of what Lane Kiffin did at the University of Tennessee in hiring his pops as the defensive coordinator. Brian was considered a leading candidate to take over as head coach of the New York Jets following the ouster of Eric Mangini, but the team eventually hired Rex Ryan, which did not sit well with Schottenheimer at the time. With word that Ryan is going to spend more time with the Jets offense, perhaps Brian is being slowly pushed out the door. This father-son duo might be getting closer to reality.

If we're talking about Marty as GM- I'd be sure to find out who he wants as his head coach, and if he will force his family on the new head coach.

One of the main reasons he was fired in San Diego is he wanted to name his brother Kurt to take over as defensive coordinator after Wade left. The owner said no, and Marty threw a tantrum. He already had his son Brian on staff.

I'm a fan of Marty, but truly wonder if he and Ralph could co-exist.

I've been saying it for awhile. We need him. this is the perfect team and perfect situation for it. We need a guy with his personality and his ideas. we need a coach who can take guys and make them better than they are.

He comes from arguably the best Bills coach of all time's lineage in Lou Saban... Coaches such as Wisenhunt, Cowher, Dungy have all come from his lineage. He won't be as pricey as say Cowher or Shannahan but he will want to bring in his own guys to coach - by all means.

He has never been to the super bowl.. we have never won it. I know its cheesy but that be one heck of a story. I'd really hope Brandon and Ralph at least offer him an interview and get his take on our situation. We just really could use an old school coach such as him.

Can we buy a billboard asking for him to come back home to Buffalo? (and Gabriel as GM and move brandon to team president/CEO as per Sully?)

And... add to the story that he earned his player stripes playing for the Bills (in another life). I certainly would not be unhappy if Marty was the guy, but I have a feeling that he and Haslett will only come here if it is an alumni party.

I do like Marty, but if his heart is not in it, then this would be a disaster cloaked by his great name

I am also wondering just how old Marty is? Hey, Maybe Marv will come back or how about Dick Vermeil? Maybe they can

have a Senior citizen's only interview simulataneously with Ralph while they all sip on "Ensure", and discuss the direction (probably north!) of the team!

Anyways, I think Bill Cowher, Mike Shananhan, Mike Holmgren, John Gruden, Brian Billick, Jim Fassel, Dennis Green, should be enough on the menu for interviewee's. Don't want Jim Haslett or Marc Trestman for H/C..Maybe an assistant though?

Marty-ball would be perfect in the elements of Buffalo.

Michael Lombardi's article makes perfect sense. Buffalo needs two massive lines that dominate the opposing teams. Parcells has said that Buffalo is the ideal location for football. I sure wish Parcells was available for GM/ President.

The emphasis is on "dominate." We had a massive O-Line that couldn't dominate a buffet.

I am also wondering just how old Marty is? Hey, Maybe Marv will come back or how about Dick Vermeil? Maybe they can

have a Senior citizen's only interview simulataneously with Ralph while they all sip on "Ensure", and discuss the direction (probably north!) of the team!

Anyways, I think Bill Cowher, Mike Shananhan, Mike Holmgren, John Gruden, Brian Billick, Jim Fassel, Dennis Green, should be enough on the menu for interviewee's. Don't want Jim Haslett or Marc Trestman for H/C..Maybe an assistant though?

http://tinyurl.com/y8ej882