Where were you and what was your reaction

FluffHead

Of all the lousy timing ...

When I got the text, I was on the 219 just south of Springville, on my way to meet up with my folks for the Bonnies game in Rochester. Left the computer at home, because really, what news could come out on the Bills' day off, after Jauron had held his business-as-usual PC on Monday? Heh, heh. They did the same thing to me when they signed T.O. during SBU's WNIT game last spring -- got THAT text on the way out of the Reilly Center.

Made for a very quick trip into Buffalo, and a flurry of e-mails on the CrackBerry as soon as I parked the car. Kept that up all the way to Rochacha (fortunately, someone else was driving), where I crossed paths with Pitoniak, who told me his post-firing column was already up on the front page. Sweeeet. I told him the news made me even more disappointed that Gruden had just signed the extension w/ESPN, and he replied with a grin, "Cowher's still out there, though." (If you haven't been reading his stuff -- and shame on you if you haven't -- that's who he's been beating the drum for all along.)

We'd heard the speculation re:Fewell, but didn't get official word of the press conference until just before the game began -- which meant that both Pollock (doing the SBU column for the OTH) and Pitoniak (who worked the game for the AP) weren't going to get there. Dunno what they did, but I kept track of it through Sal M's Twitter feed while praying the BB's battery would last long enough to get back to Buffalo.

Anyhoo. Considering that I haven't had a chance to check the board since the whole thing went down, some of this has probably been said a thousand times. Ah well. Although the move was inevitable, I'm a little surprised it happened when it did -- when RCW didn't whack Jauron going into the bye (the logical time to do it), I figured he'd probably limp to the end of the lamest of lame-duck seasons. But thinking back to him benching Edwards -- HIGHLY unusual for him, when we've all seen TE play worse and stay in the game -- and Sully's postgame column about him running out of other people to blame, I wondered if Ralph had come to the same conclusion: instead of trying to steer away from the iceberg, Cap'n DJ was still rearranging the deck chairs.

Celebrate? Not really, for two reasons:

Although his coaching drove me to distraction, and despite some personal issues I had with him and others in the front office (a story for another day, although a couple of you already know what I'm referring to), Jauron always seemed like a decent sort. Don't get me wrong, this NEEDED to happen ... but even though I probably could, I find no schadenfreude in the guy losing his job.

And for them to get it right this time, this has to be merely the first step of many. Let's see what they do next.

Where were you and what was your reaction when you heard the Dick got the axe?

I logged on and saw the topic on the message board. I started to get real excited and my roomate was asking me whats up. I couldn't tell him until I knew it was legit. About a minute later I saw it on nfl.com and let out a joyous yell and ran around the apartment celebrating for a minute. My roomates think I am obessed. I guess they are probably right

i got an email from my bud at ESPN which was 3am Okinawa time that he was getting fired. hes schefter and olney's editor. anyway - it made my entire day brighter on the way to work. then to wake up today hearing about shannahan was a bonus.

i still would like to see schottenheimer and cowher get interviewed IF, IF, IF the Carrucci report is true and basically RW is going to put some money into it. I think its clear Jimbo is pulling the strings with getting Ralph to open up. No one else makes that much sense unless it is Levy admitting his mistake. no offense to marv- he hired a man he liked, but clearly, Levy was out of touch with the NFL....

anyways... its a breath of fresh air at OBD. Fewell seems fired up, the players are excited. Its way different then cutting loose Williams, Mularkey, etc in the offseason.

does everyone feel that way too? sure we suck, but hey, i at least expect to see some fight and some guys possibly prepared.

I usually check this site periodically during the day, but was totally heads down for most of that day working, and heard about it on a local radio update on the drive home. When I got home, I immediately left to take my kids to their pediatrician who had just gotten a batch of H1N1 vaccine in that day - and were opening the flood gates at 5:00. Luckily, I had the foresight to bring my laptop - stood in line for over 2 hrs, but was able to read up on everything thanks to their wi-fi :thumbsup:

Guest dog14787

When I got the text, I was on the 219 just south of Springville, on my way to meet up with my folks for the Bonnies game in Rochester. Left the computer at home, because really, what news could come out on the Bills' day off, after Jauron had held his business-as-usual PC on Monday? Heh, heh. They did the same thing to me when they signed T.O. during SBU's WNIT game last spring -- got THAT text on the way out of the Reilly Center.

Made for a very quick trip into Buffalo, and a flurry of e-mails on the CrackBerry as soon as I parked the car. Kept that up all the way to Rochacha (fortunately, someone else was driving), where I crossed paths with Pitoniak, who told me his post-firing column was already up on the front page. Sweeeet. I told him the news made me even more disappointed that Gruden had just signed the extension w/ESPN, and he replied with a grin, "Cowher's still out there, though." (If you haven't been reading his stuff -- and shame on you if you haven't -- that's who he's been beating the drum for all along.)

We'd heard the speculation re:Fewell, but didn't get official word of the press conference until just before the game began -- which meant that both Pollock (doing the SBU column for the OTH) and Pitoniak (who worked the game for the AP) weren't going to get there. Dunno what they did, but I kept track of it through Sal M's Twitter feed while praying the BB's battery would last long enough to get back to Buffalo.

Anyhoo. Considering that I haven't had a chance to check the board since the whole thing went down, some of this has probably been said a thousand times. Ah well. Although the move was inevitable, I'm a little surprised it happened when it did -- when RCW didn't whack Jauron going into the bye (the logical time to do it), I figured he'd probably limp to the end of the lamest of lame-duck seasons. But thinking back to him benching Edwards -- HIGHLY unusual for him, when we've all seen TE play worse and stay in the game -- and Sully's postgame column about him running out of other people to blame, I wondered if Ralph had come to the same conclusion: instead of trying to steer away from the iceberg, Cap'n DJ was still rearranging the deck chairs.

Although his coaching drove me to distraction, and despite some personal issues I had with him and others in the front office (a story for another day, although a couple of you already know what I'm referring to), Jauron always seemed like a decent sort. Don't get me wrong, this NEEDED to happen ... but even though I probably could, I find no schadenfreude in the guy losing his job.

And for them to get it right this time, this has to be merely the first step of many. Let's see what they do next.

Great Post Lori, my younger bro was born in Springville.

It was amazing timing for me because I had just got my computer back online after crashing from a doggon windows update for my media player of all things, had to reformat my hard drive and lost everything because my dumbass didn't back anything up. Needless to say it sucked,

but right when I got back online the news was just breaking and it was like a huge weight was lifted off of my shoulders.

You guys know I love the Bills just like most of you, we love the players and the coaches and it was sad to have this happen to DJ, but I'm happy its all over with and I know things can only get better from here. :w00t:

Where were you and what was your reaction when you heard the Dick got the axe?

I logged on and saw the topic on the message board. I started to get real excited and my roomate was asking me whats up. I couldn't tell him until I knew it was legit. About a minute later I saw it on nfl.com and let out a joyous yell and ran around the apartment celebrating for a minute. My roomates think I am obessed. I guess they are probably right

Ding, dong, Dick is gone, Dick is gone, Dick is gone!!!!

Jauron is a nice guy and I don't like decent people get screwed but he is/was a lousy coach. Besides he will be making plenty of money the next 2 plus years doing nothing because coaches contracts are guaranteed. Don't feel too sorry for him. The rest of us have to work the next 2 plus years to make ends meet.

Jauron is a nice guy and I don't like decent people get screwed but he is/was a lousy coach. Besides he will be making plenty of money the next 2 plus years doing nothing because coaches contracts are guaranteed. Don't feel too sorry for him. The rest of us have to work the next 2 plus years to make ends meet.

Amen. No sympathy for someone who can laugh all the way to the bank. Luckily, I was sitting down when I found out that Ralph pulled the plug on Dick. I would have bet a lot of money he wouldn't do it this early in the contract. Whic makes me a little suspicious. Could there have been a clause in the contract that would let Wilson get out of the deal without paying the full amount?

I was outside raking leaves, it a beauty of a day. I figured Id get some fresh air before work. After I ate my pre work meal I logged on to kill some time.

Went to NFL.com to see what was up in the league. Saw the banner that they fired Jauron and just smiled and did a long golf clap.

I didn't think Ralph would pull the trigger during the season. Safe to say none of us could smell this coming.

But so glad it happened.