If Bobby April is so great

:rolleyes:

This is one of the most absurd threads I've seen. A coach doesn't need to be a HC candidate in order to be a great position coach. IIRC, he told his daughter he'd be in Buffalo until she graduated and I think he wouldn't have accept any offers anyway. I can't find a link but I'm pretty sure I read it in a D&C piece a couple of years ago.

We also don't know if he's been made any offers and refused them.

Being a good special teams coach doesn't mean he'd be a good offensive or defensive coordinator. If it's just leadership skills, it makes sense for him to be considered for HC, but if it's a question of strategy, I mean, why would April have any special insight into the 3-4 defense or spread attack just because he runs good wedge blocks?

:unsure:

This is one of the most absurd threads I've seen.

I find that hard to believe (and these :rolleyes: really aren't necessary, you're not that clever)

Anyway, I should have addressed this to to people that wanted him as the interim head coach (or permanent head coach), as well as the people that seem worried about losing him as the ST coach because a new guy might want someone else. That's absurd to me. "Nah, we don't want Mike Shanahan if he will get rid of Bobby April" or some such nonsense.

I find that hard to believe (and these :unsure: really aren't necessary, you're not that clever)

Anyway, I should have addressed this to to people that wanted him as the interim head coach (or permanent head coach), as well as the people that seem worried about losing him as the ST coach because a new guy might want someone else. That's absurd to me. "Nah, we don't want Mike Shanahan if he will get rid of Bobby April" or some such nonsense.

THANK YOU!

I find it so annoying that Steely Dan thinks he can misuse the crap out of those smiley faces.

But to the OP, he was named Assistant Coach for the very reason you're suggesting.

For the same reason that Steve Johnson doesn't get much playing time... the Bills never recognize a good thing when they have it.

Jesus, the guy made like 3 catches 2 years ago. He's a 6th round pick with average skills who can't break off of special teams and can't beat out three other receivers on a very bad football team. Give it a rest already.

I think the clear reason that Fewell was named interim head coach instead of April is that when a new guy is hired, there's no way he'll keep the interim head coach on staff. I don't think Fewell's a terrible defensive coordinator, but he's a lot easier to replace than April.

I think the clear reason that Fewell was named interim head coach instead of April is that when a new guy is hired, there's no way he'll keep the interim head coach on staff. I don't think Fewell's a terrible defensive coordinator, but he's a lot easier to replace than April.

He's a terrible defensive coordinator. The next great joy will be seeing that defensive system ushered out of Buffalo once and for all!

Im prolly going to get flamed for this but personally i fell April is one of our biggest problems.

Why is our defense constatly injured and we have no depth to back it up? Because we draft special teamers, not potential starters who can play special teams as well.

What is Justin Jenkins, John Wendling, Rsocoe Parrish, Jon Corto, Mcyntire, Todd Johnson Maercus Buggs ect ect doing on our roster every year? Special teams with no other use. When we lose a linebacker we go to nickel becuase we dont have a back up linebacker worth a damn on defense and its a major problem IMO

JMO

How come he hasn't gotten a coordinators job? I like the special teams, but people seem to worry about retaining him after they hire a new head coach. If the new guy wants someone else, let it happen!

He already is a coordinator. He's the special teams coordinator, as well as being the assistant head coach.

And he hasn't got a job as an offensive or defensive coordinator for the same reason that Marvin Lewis never got interviewed for OC jobs and Charlie Weis never got interviewed for DC jobs.

He already is a coordinator. He's the special teams coordinator, as well as being the assistant head coach.

And he hasn't got a job as an offensive or defensive coordinator for the same reason that Marvin Lewis never got interviewed for OC jobs and Charlie Weis never got interviewed for DC jobs.

I think Special Team "Coordinator" is considered the bottom of the "coordinating" positions, and most have aspirations to move up (maybe he doesn't, that's fine). I think I have made it clear that my point is, he isn't qualified to be a head coach, and retaining him shouldn't be a major priority if it interferes with a new hiring.

Got it?

Maybe you need one of these...

:unsure:

How come he hasn't gotten a coordinators job? I like the special teams, but people seem to worry about retaining him after they hire a new head coach. If the new guy wants someone else, let it happen!

How does being a ST coach qualify you to be either an O or D coordinator?

Since April is assistant head coach, he'd have to be interviewed for a head coaching job. NFL rule prohibits interviewing for lateral (or less) moves.

Correct. IMO, therefore, April will be history by/at the end of the year. That he was calously not considered as interim coach- when he holds the title of 'next in line'- implies to me that Ralph isn't/won't consider him for the position.

Wishful thinking here, but I hope a new coach is hired soon to evaluate personnel and coaches during the remainder of the year, so he can hit the ground running a day after the regular season ends.