A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

Do you think it is coincidental that the JP people defend this horrid OL? Our OTs are small 10th string losers, and we are going with 2 rookie guards. How is this lost amongst any Bills fan? Do you view this as a winning formula?

Look, Trent is shot and Losman sucked and always will. But, this team needs to be properly constructed for any qb to have any chance at being good. There is no mystery here; it's all quite clear.

Brother, are you really not seeing this? :(

I have no idea what Losman has to do with any of this.

All I know is that we have two people in this thread (myself included) who literally COUNTED the amount of time that Edwards had to throw, and the consensus was that he had anywhere between 3 and 4 seconds throughout the game.

Am I saying the OLine is perfect? Far from it. Am I saying it's good? Nope. But, when I know Trent had 3-4 seconds to throw, I think you're totally wrong to single out the offensive line.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it's a truly valid point, but do you think trades/FA are a better way of acquiring QB talent?

In our case I think definitely. We've gambled on too many QBs based on College or one good game and it's been killing us. If we do draft McCoy or Bradford or Pike or Locker (if he comes out, he's a Junior) or someone, they're going to have growing pains for a couple of years. More of the same. Flashes of greatness with bad games in between. See "Sanchize" this year.

I'd rather see us get someone who at least knows how to read NFL defenses. Has played and gotten somewhat used to the speed of the game. Even if he was only going to be here a couple of years it could bridge a gap and make us competitive again. I'm thinking maybe Chad Pennington or Kyle Orton who are free agent this year. Or maybe try to trade for someone who's had some success but benched like Kerry Collins, or Todd Collins or Sage Rosenfels or Billy Volek or Charlie Batch or Donovan McNabb or someone like that. Many teams have had great success with such retreads like Tampa Bay with Brad Johnson and Baltimore with Trent Dilfer and Arizona with Kurt Warner and the Raidahs with Rich Gannon.

Or to go against my own philoshy, I wonder what it would take to get Colt Brennan from the Redskins?

Since Kelly left we've had 4 FAs/trades (Johnson, Flutie, Beldsoe, and Holcomb) and 3 rookies (Collins, Losman, and Edwards). The first group at least got us 4 or so winning season and 2 playoff appearances. The second group?

As far as senior QB coming up in the 2010 draft goes, what about Sean Cannfield out Oregon State? I've see him play several times and he looks very good.

We're not at odds, Bill - I just wish you didn't feel the need to drag former Buffalo Bill JP Losman into almost every thread about Trent Edwards total suckitude. Fact is, Lee Evans would rather have Losman still chuckin' the ball, and I bet TO would too. Your argument is that Edwards has a bad o-line and crappy coaching. Wow, that sounds strangely familiar.

Our common ground is that we both agree Jauron's too freakin' stupid to realize Losman was the better QB and that - as long as Jauron is still HC - there is no long term solution to the QB problem.

Since when did Bill agree with your idea that Losman was a better QB than Edwards? It seems like you're putting your own words into Bill's mouth.

Look--if Losman could play at the NFL level, he'd still be in the NFL. He can't, and he isn't. End of story.

It looks like we're also coming to the end of Trent's story, at least as a starter. I think he'd make a decent backup though.

Since when did Bill agree with your idea that Losman was a better QB than Edwards? It seems like you're putting your own words into Bill's mouth.

Look--if Losman could play at the NFL level, he'd still be in the NFL. He can't, and he isn't. End of story.

It looks like we're also coming to the end of Trent's story, at least as a starter. I think he'd make a decent backup though.

Thank you. These Losman lovers are going to outlast the RJ fans. :(

Thank you. These Losman lovers are going to outlast the RJ fans. :lol:

OK then - 5 things we can certainly agree on as incontrovertible facts:

1) Fannning-Fan Edwards sucks;

2) Jauron is a freaking idiot;

3) The Bills need an NFL-caliber starting QB;

4) The Bills need a new HC and front office overhaul;

5) You will drag former Bill JP Losman's name into every thread regarding Edwards' total suckitude. :bag:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

REVERSE THE CURSE!!!!! :(

Do you think it is coincidental that the JP people defend this horrid OL? Our OTs are small 10th string losers, and we are going with 2 rookie guards. How is this lost amongst any Bills fan? Do you view this as a winning formula?

Look, Trent is shot and Losman sucked and always will. But, this team needs to be properly constructed for any qb to have any chance at being good. There is no mystery here; it's all quite clear.

Brother, are you really not seeing this? :(

Sorry Bill, but Trent has had time to make plays but just does not. The more I watch Edwards, the more it seems to me that he really does not even like playing football. This guy is not a competitor & quite frankly he is a mirror image of Dickie J, a guy that has no balls to make the plays necassary to win a game. Losman sucked too, & I have been one of his biggest critics but one thing you could say about JP was he was a competitor & he loves playing the game of football. You can not say the same thing about Edwards. I liked Edwards too, but i was wrong, as I was wrong about several other Bills qbs in the past. The search continues.

Please stop because you are too smart for this.

You thought that Losman was good. I thought that he sucked. I thought that Trent was good. You thought that he sucked. Sadly, we were both 50/50 in terms of our predictions. It would be great if one of them didn't suck. Now, the questions will always remain as to why. Was it Levy/Jauron? Were they both bound to suck? Was it the OL? How about any combinbation of those factors?

I make the assertion that they have to build this team in a different way or else every qb we ever have will get pummeled, and/or suck. Are you and I really really at odds?

Agree with you here. No matter who is right or wrong, we are now left with no QB hope for the future. It will take a re-build but this time it better be well thought out and executed. Until such time as the OL and coaching problems are fixed I would vote against drafting a QB high in next year's draft. For example, if we take a QB with our first round pick without addressing what kind of offense we are going to run and who the OL (tackles) will be, we will set this franchise back another few years. As it is, this is a lost decade (okay maybe not the entire decade) - at least let us plan on making the next one ours.

Agree with you here. No matter who is right or wrong, we are now left with no QB hope for the future. It will take a re-build but this time it better be well thought out and executed. Until such time as the OL and coaching problems are fixed I would vote against drafting a QB high in next year's draft. For example, if we take a QB with our first round pick without addressing what kind of offense we are going to run and who the OL (tackles) will be, we will set this franchise back another few years. As it is, this is a lost decade (okay maybe not the entire decade) - at least let us plan on making the next one ours.

Thank you very much. You summed up exactly how I feel.

There is no point to ruining another quarterback. You simply cannot abandon the ever so crucial OT position and throw a qb in there, expecting him to win. Just as indefensible is to have a bunch of tiny little defenders running backwards while playing in the elements of WNY. And this is where we are.

Sorry Bill, but Trent has had time to make plays but just does not. The more I watch Edwards, the more it seems to me that he really does not even like playing football. This guy is not a competitor & quite frankly he is a mirror image of Dickie J, a guy that has no balls to make the plays necassary to win a game. Losman sucked too, & I have been one of his biggest critics but one thing you could say about JP was he was a competitor & he loves playing the game of football. You can not say the same thing about Edwards. I liked Edwards too, but i was wrong, as I was wrong about several other Bills qbs in the past. The search continues.

Yeah, I agree. From afar, his body language appears to begetting pretty close to RJ's. Is he living in a hotel near Buffalo International yet?

I'm with you save for one important detail: I'd rather build the system around the players than visa versa.

At this point, it doesn't matter who was right about what qb, what record a gm who no longer works here had, what our current coach says/does. We all know this road ends with Jauron being fired. We all know that at this point Trent's not the golden star we wanted.

We don't know who is going to choose our next head coach. If it is Brandon, let's actually give him a shot, since he's one of the few people in the building that knows how to sell to the fans. If anything, he's the only one smart enough to realize that a re-tread won't sell. A hotshot might, but he'd better be a solid offensive guru.

Thank you. These Losman lovers are going to outlast the RJ fans. ;)

The main reason is that Losman seems to be improving in his game, while RJ did not. People may rag on him for going down to UFL, and starting the season in typical Losmanesque fashion, only a true hater wouldn't admit that his play improved significantly over the year.

Not much of a limb, but both Bollinger & Losman should be in the NFL next year.