Mike Mayock chat

billieve420

http://chat.nfl.com/front/archived_chat/561

Mayock's response to a fan on how good a player Wood would be and comment on Levitre. I have always respected Mike's opinion on college players coming into the NFL.

"Wood was my favorite center in the country last year coming out of Louisville. The Bills have turned him into a guard and done a tremendous job. I definitely think he has pro bowl potential. but don't forget about his teammate Andy Levitre, the second round pick who was a left tackle in college and the Bills kicked him inside to guard. The Bills probably have the best pair of young guards in the NFL."

Mayock's response to a fan on how good a player Wood would be and comment on Levitre. I have always respected Mike's opinion on college players coming into the NFL.

"Wood was my favorite center in the country last year coming out of Louisville. The Bills have turned him into a guard and done a tremendous job. I definitely think he has pro bowl potential. but don't forget about his teammate Andy Levitre, the second round pick who was a left tackle in college and the Bills kicked him inside to guard. The Bills probably have the best pair of young guards in the NFL."

Very encouraging. However, I think you posted this in the wrong forum. This place is only for negative bills bashing.

He gives a shout out to Byrd also.

Mohamed, Owl City, Mn 12:26 PM ET

Do you think Percy Harvin can win ROY>

Mike Mayock, NFL Network

Mohamed, love Harvin and he certainly is one of the front runner of rookie of the year. On offense, tackle Michael Oher has played extremely well in Baltimore and Knowshon moreno has done a great jobin Denver. On defense, Jairus Byrd from Buffalo has played tremendously well, as have LBs Brian Cushing and Aaron Curry.

Notice how he had to add the "from Buffalo" in.... no one would have known what team he played for otherwise

This is my favorite comment, and I agree with him 100% on all the points he makes.

Jack P, Phila, PA 12:30 PM ET

Hey Mike, If you were on the rules committee what rules would u change or add ?

Mike Mayock, NFL Network

Jack, really interesting question and I have a feeling that my philosophies are probably in the minority. But first and foremost, I would abolish instant replay. I'm tired of the replay changing momentum, and I think it has made the refs more hesitant in the decision making. Secondly, I would take the skirts off the QBs and ask them to reestablish them as football players. I am all for the safety of every player, especially unprotected ones, but at some point common sense must prevail. Lastly, you've got to give DBs some latitude in bumping and playing WRs. I'm tired of the ticky tacky holding and PI calls. And while I'm at it, PI can go both ways, and why don't we ever see illegal picks being called on WRs?

IMPOSSIBLE. I have read OVER & OVER on this board how BAD the Bills O-line is. There is NO WAY a line that bad has the best pair of young guards in the NFL.

IMPOSSIBLE. I have read OVER & OVER on this board how BAD the Bills O-line is. There is NO WAY a line that bad has the best pair of young guards in the NFL.

as a unit, the O-line is bad...due to a lack of chemistry and cohesion but individually, they could be pretty good...takes a lot of time to build that chemistry and cohesion...I'd expect to see some significant improvement over the last half of the season

I think most of that conversation involves the tackles.

Wood- agreed

Levitre- disagree

I think most of that conversation involves the tackles.

And the fact that the guys on the line have NEVER played together before this season. Actually, for as badly as the line sucks...they're doing surprisingly well under the circumstances.

Which is to say that they're just a better grade of dog **** than we give them credit for.

The Bills really aren't terrible drafters, for the most part (Maybin remains a big test.) They just seem to whiff on free agents, they mismanage their own talent, and they never seem to know what the team's needs are.

The Bills are great at finding solid contributors throughout the draft. They seem to whiff early though and miss out on really elite talent.

I'm very happy with our guards. I can only imagine what this past draft might have looked like if we had grabbed Oher as well.

The Bills are great at finding solid contributors throughout the draft. They seem to whiff early though and miss out on really elite talent.

I'm very happy with our guards. I can only imagine what this past draft might have looked like if we had grabbed Oher as well.

Itd be one of the best in history. First 4 picks, Oher, Wood, Byrd and Levitre? Damn

Why is it impossible? Two young promising inexperienced guards, a servicable center, and no tackles. It is currently one of the worst lines in the NFL.

This is my favorite comment, and I agree with him 100% on all the points he makes.

Jack P, Phila, PA 12:30 PM ET

Hey Mike, If you were on the rules committee what rules would u change or add ?

Mike Mayock, NFL Network

Jack, really interesting question and I have a feeling that my philosophies are probably in the minority. But first and foremost, I would abolish instant replay. I'm tired of the replay changing momentum, and I think it has made the refs more hesitant in the decision making. Secondly, I would take the skirts off the QBs and ask them to reestablish them as football players. I am all for the safety of every player, especially unprotected ones, but at some point common sense must prevail.

I disagree completely Thoner. Maybe this should be a different topic but anyways:

Instant Replay: Yes I don't like the interruptions to the game and it quite possibly makes the referees more tentative. But if you do a cost/benefit, these quibbles are more than made up IMO by the fact that some very horrible and unjust calls are corrected.

The greater good is getting the call right and instant replay, though not infallible, helps greatly to that end. The NFL started limited instant replay in the mid 80's and has used the current system for about ten years. I remember very well the years before instant replay and for all its faults, instant replay is a net gain.

Quarterbacks in skirts: How many good quarterbacks are their in the NFL? Ten? Twelve?

How much better is a game when it features good quarterbacking than bad quarterbacking? Even in games where a good quarterback struggles against an excellent defense, it's better than watching a crap quarterback having success against a bad defense. Peyton Manning has struggled the last two weeks against San Francisco and Houston and yet both of those games were suspenseful and good quality football, for the most part.

IMO, protecting quarterbacks is protecting the quality of the product. Unless you think that watching games featuring Ryan Fitzpatrick and Derek Anderson is a good product. There's too few good QBs in the league as it is. I'm all for giving them the utmost protection under the rules.

When most posters say our OL stink, they are really looking at how bad our Tackles are .....Our guards have done a pretty good job, but the tackles have not been able to keep the QBs upright or throw downfield.

The Bills really aren't terrible drafters, for the most part (Maybin remains a big test.) They just seem to whiff on free agents, they mismanage their own talent, and they never seem to know what the team's needs are.

And Don't hire a decent coaching staff that will put this talent to win on the field.

I think Wood will be an all pro. It would be interesting watch our interior three with decent tackles. I guess we look at this year as a development year for the young guys. Merideth shows some flashes. Bell is a complete train wreck. LT will have to be addressed in the offseason and a real blocking TE would help too rather than the H-Back types we being in.

When most posters say our OL stink, they are really looking at how bad our Tackles are .....Our guards have done a pretty good job, but the tackles have not been able to keep the QBs upright or throw downfield.

Itd be one of the best in history. First 4 picks, Oher, Wood, Byrd and Levitre? Damn

I just had an orgasm thinking about that. Regardless if Maybin is a bust or will become the next Dwight Freeney. Hes not doing anything now, hasnt all year. If we had Oher instead we could have fixed our line in one draft. It might not be playing like a pro-bowl unit but at least they would all be starting and gaining experience which is way more than you can say for Aaron "Maybe". Next year that line would be much better and we could draft another young project at DE, or pick one up in FA. It would have been the same outcome as what we got this year.