Mike Mayock chat

billieve420

I disagree completely Thoner. Maybe this should be a different topic but anyways:

Instant Replay: Yes I don't like the interruptions to the game and it quite possibly makes the referees more tentative. But if you do a cost/benefit, these quibbles are more than made up IMO by the fact that some very horrible and unjust calls are corrected.

The greater good is getting the call right and instant replay, though not infallible, helps greatly to that end. The NFL started limited instant replay in the mid 80's and has used the current system for about ten years. I remember very well the years before instant replay and for all its faults, instant replay is a net gain.

Quarterbacks in skirts: How many good quarterbacks are their in the NFL? Ten? Twelve?

How much better is a game when it features good quarterbacking than bad quarterbacking? Even in games where a good quarterback struggles against an excellent defense, it's better than watching a crap quarterback having success against a bad defense. Peyton Manning has struggled the last two weeks against San Francisco and Houston and yet both of those games were suspenseful and good quality football, for the most part.

IMO, protecting quarterbacks is protecting the quality of the product. Unless you think that watching games featuring Ryan Fitzpatrick and Derek Anderson is a good product. There's too few good QBs in the league as it is. I'm all for giving them the utmost protection under the rules.

Well its our entitled opinions that differ. I hate replay mainly because I am sitting there, watching it in slow motion, and the Refs STILL make the wrong call. Have some balls and overturn it. The college system is more rediculous, they stop the game after every play it seems. Then they limit what is challegable, so it only helps out certain phases of the game. The challege IMO has not helped the game to be called more accurately.

Second, you assume that QBs are going to get injured if they are not protected. Farve never got injured. Hundreds more have played without being injured, but today there is a perception everyone is going to get injured. Terrell Suggs fell next to Tom Brady - enough said.

http://chat.nfl.com/front/archived_chat/561

Mayock's response to a fan on how good a player Wood would be and comment on Levitre. I have always respected Mike's opinion on college players coming into the NFL.

"Wood was my favorite center in the country last year coming out of Louisville. The Bills have turned him into a guard and done a tremendous job. I definitely think he has pro bowl potential. but don't forget about his teammate Andy Levitre, the second round pick who was a left tackle in college and the Bills kicked him inside to guard. The Bills probably have the best pair of young guards in the NFL."

I really agree with that assessment.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that this past draft, finally, FINALLY seems like it will produce some fruit as I believe that Shawn Nelson will eventually be added to the list.

And Maybin will conribute. People seem to forget that he did hold out all of training camp, and is more suited as a pass-rusher than all-around DE. I would love to see the Bills switch to a 3-4, and move Maybin in an OLB role. But we will perhaps have to wait for a coaching change for that to occur.

But I think Wood is the real deal. :blink:

I really agree with that assessment.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that this past draft, finally, FINALLY seems like it will produce some fruit as I believe that Shawn Nelson will eventually be added to the list.

And Maybin will conribute. People seem to forget that he did hold out all of training camp, and is more suited as a pass-rusher than all-around DE. I would love to see the Bills switch to a 3-4, and move Maybin in an OLB role. But we will perhaps have to wait for a coaching change for that to occur.

But I think Wood is the real deal. :blink:

Were I selecting a DE at #11, I would certainly want an all-around DE.

As soon as playoff possibilities vaporize ( :wallbash: ), I'd slide Wood over to center.

I think Wood will be an all pro. It would be interesting watch our interior three with decent tackles. I guess we look at this year as a development year for the young guys. Merideth shows some flashes. Bell is a complete train wreck. LT will have to be addressed in the offseason and a real blocking TE would help too rather than the H-Back types we being in.

?? The Bills had one of the better blocking TE's in the league (Royal) and the fans chased him away cause he kept dropping passes. Normally, you get one or the other. A good receiving one or a good blocking one

Were I selecting a DE at #11, I would certainly want an all-around DE.

As soon as playoff possibilities vaporize ( :wallbash: ), I'd slide Wood over to center.

Why mess with it? Hangartner has played pretty good so far. Leave Wood at guard til Hangartner is gone or hurt, then move him over to the middle. One less hole to fill next year

The Bills really aren't terrible drafters, for the most part (Maybin remains a big test.) They just seem to whiff on free agents, they mismanage their own talent, and they never seem to know what the team's needs are.

Right on... I dont think the problem is so much Modrak as it is our Choice of Coaches - Mularkey, Jauron, Williams and John Guy. Guy missed on all free agents except the stroud trade (which was probably brandon). I can't name one player we got in FA that was an impact. Maybe Spencer Johnson, but even he is over paid. Kawika has been very average, Peerless was awful, TO was for marketing, no need to go with Langston/Dockery, and so on. I don't know how long Guy has been here or if he gets credit for fletcher, TKO, lindell - but my guess is those lie with Donahoe.

all in all we need to dump Guy and Jauron. Modrak is fine at what he does and would be better suited with a football savy coach and GM to aid in personnel decisions.

He gives a shout out to Byrd also.

Mohamed, Owl City, Mn 12:26 PM ET

Do you think Percy Harvin can win ROY>

Mike Mayock, NFL Network

Mohamed, love Harvin and he certainly is one of the front runner of rookie of the year. On offense, tackle Michael Oher has played extremely well in Baltimore and Knowshon moreno has done a great jobin Denver. On defense, Jairus Byrd from Buffalo has played tremendously well, as have LBs Brian Cushing and Aaron Curry.

Notice how he had to add the "from Buffalo" in.... no one would have known what team he played for otherwise

This is my favorite comment, and I agree with him 100% on all the points he makes.

Jack P, Phila, PA 12:30 PM ET

Hey Mike, If you were on the rules committee what rules would u change or add ?

Mike Mayock, NFL Network

Jack, really interesting question and I have a feeling that my philosophies are probably in the minority. But first and foremost, I would abolish instant replay. I'm tired of the replay changing momentum, and I think it has made the refs more hesitant in the decision making. Secondly, I would take the skirts off the QBs and ask them to reestablish them as football players. I am all for the safety of every player, especially unprotected ones, but at some point common sense must prevail. Lastly, you've got to give DBs some latitude in bumping and playing WRs. I'm tired of the ticky tacky holding and PI calls. And while I'm at it, PI can go both ways, and why don't we ever see illegal picks being called on WRs?

he had to point out that Byrd is with the Bills as the Bills have not been part of the NFL conversation in so long no one outside of the area knows who plays for the Bills anymore. Or cares. You only get attention in this league if you win games.

Why mess with it? Hangartner has played pretty good so far. Leave Wood at guard til Hangartner is gone or hurt, then move him over to the middle. One less hole to fill next year

I don't know...Hangartner has been pretty spotty....Agreed the pressure has been coming from the sides (Tackles) more so than from the middle....but the run game is still pretty poor.

Right on... I dont think the problem is so much Modrak as it is our Choice of Coaches - Mularkey, Jauron, Williams and John Guy. Guy missed on all free agents except the stroud trade (which was probably brandon). I can't name one player we got in FA that was an impact. Maybe Spencer Johnson, but even he is over paid. Kawika has been very average, Peerless was awful, TO was for marketing, no need to go with Langston/Dockery, and so on. I don't know how long Guy has been here or if he gets credit for fletcher, TKO, lindell - but my guess is those lie with Donahoe.

all in all we need to dump Guy and Jauron. Modrak is fine at what he does and would be better suited with a football savy coach and GM to aid in personnel decisions.

Takeo Spikes was pretty good. Guy has been here since the Donahoe era....

I hate to say it, but after Donahoe left, John Guy has been BRUTAL.

The Bills really aren't terrible drafters, for the most part (Maybin remains a big test.) They just seem to whiff on free agents, they mismanage their own talent, and they never seem to know what the team's needs are.

I agree. Of course there is the occasional bomb like JP, but every team has that. The Ravens traded up for Kyle Boeller in the 1st round.

Wasn't it rather obvious that Pat Williams was essential to the run defense and that Jabarri Greer could play? I mean it's one thing to not want to pay Greer, but they went out of their way to try to keep him off the field when he was here. That's not even hindsight; those moves were 1st guessed by most people who watched the games.

as a unit, the O-line is bad...due to a lack of chemistry and cohesion but individually, they could be pretty good...takes a lot of time to build that chemistry and cohesion...I'd expect to see some significant improvement over the last half of the season

If chemistry were the only issue. It remains to be seen if Bell and Meredith are even legitimate NFL reserves, let alone the tackles of the future for this team. Talent is only part of the equation. And Wood and Levitre have pedigree, but they are still very raw and their performance is being graded on a curve. They aren't winning many battles right now.

The numbers don't lie, the Bills have stocked the league with their own fair share of talent. The lack of good coaching and the good systems that come with it make it difficult to utilize and properly value their own talent as well as know exactly what direction to go in.

Yeah, ultimately that's Wilson. And yes, John Guy is a proven failure. But it's hard to ultimately blame the amateur talent evaluation and selection when the coaching is so terrible.

The numbers don't lie, the Bills have stocked the league with their own fair share of talent. The lack of good coaching and the good systems that come with it make it difficult to utilize and properly value their own talent as well as know exactly what direction to go in.

Yeah, ultimately that's Wilson. And yes, John Guy is a proven failure. But it's hard to ultimately blame the amateur talent evaluation and selection when the coaching is so terrible.

and don't forget the # of folks going on IR in the last 4 years....

Our Training camps are way too easy..

as a unit, the O-line is bad...due to a lack of chemistry and cohesion but individually, they could be pretty good...takes a lot of time to build that chemistry and cohesion...I'd expect to see some significant improvement over the last half of the season

any fan with any knowledge or half a brain would know that the problem with our o/line is the lack of a quality NFL RT and a very unexpiranced LT that will take a year on the field and another year in the weight room to develope.

even pat kirwin has said numerous times in the recent past the problem with the bills is no team can start 2 fifth string tackles in the NFL. he also loves our guards and our center and thinks they will only get better and better.

why do you think we run a double TE offense its because the TE's have to be on the field to protect our tackles and it severly hampers what our offense can do.

remember the NE game when we were healthy. all the five receiver sets empty backfield sets nelson catching ball all over the place that all ended the day butler went down for the year.

you guys who say our line stinks and also our offense are morons. we dont have any tackles thats the problem. just remember the NE and tampa game how different our offense was in those games. unfortunatly until next year the bills real offense will not reappear.

and don't forget the # of folks going on IR in the last 4 years....

Our Training camps are way too easy..

I've been wondering the same thing. Has anyone evaluated the training camps and compared the easy ones to the length of IR lists??

I would also postulate that if we had a tougher camp, we may have been able to be tougher in the 4th quarter. The NE game comes to mind as the primary example.....

Great camp, lots of hugging......The day I attended there was not a lot of running. Pads were on only briefly. No friggin wind sprints at end of camp. My college soccer coach worked me harder. Hell, my summer league coach worked me harder.

Actually I coulda been drafted as a LB by Jauron. I was quick and of course weighed about 140