Firing Jauron won't be enough

Jerry Jabber

All of us here did not like it Jauron was hired as Head Coach. After last season, everyone wanted him fired. It looks like that might finally happen at the end of this season. But, as long as Modrak & Guy are still in power, we will not have a serious competitive team. Since Modrak & Guy have been here, the Bills record has been 55-84, a 0.396 win percentage. That is absolutely pathetic. Look at the Lions under Matt Millen and how long they have sucked. Now that Millen is gone, maybe the Lions will be competitive in a few years. Bottom line, we will continue to have a sub-par team as long as Modrak & Guy are in charge.

All of us here did not like it Jauron was hired as Head Coach. After last season, everyone wanted him fired. It looks like that might finally happen at the end of this season. But, as long as Modrak & Guy are still in power, we will not have a serious competitive team. Since Modrak & Guy have been here, the Bills record has been 55-84, a 0.396 win percentage. That is absolutely pathetic. Look at the Lions under Matt Millen and how long they have sucked. Now that Millen is gone, maybe the Lions will be competitive in a few years. Bottom line, we will continue to have a sub-par team as long as Modrak & Guy are in charge.

Firing DJ would be a very encouraging first step.

I think that Tom Modrak and John Guy are doing a great job.

Sincerely,

Mike Williams and Derrick Dockery

I completely agree that John Guy has been terrible and should be fired.

Modrak has had soem decent picks particually this past year. What's not known in the past, how many picks were really TM's suggestions. Did he really want Donte Whitner picked @ #8 overall. Maybe his opinion had been DW will be a decent player, maybe pick him early 2nd round, but Marv goes and picks him @ #8. Did he just give the GM overall opionions on players, maybe even made recommendations, whom to pick but weren't followed? Dpon't know to what level this is or isn't true, so hard ot totally blame TM for the picks. Last two drafts, since Marv left, I think the picks are truely who TM wanted. This draft with the possible exception of Maybin has looked good. Give him some time he may als olook good.

John Guy I more fault as there's been little if any FA signings that have worked out at all. Plus in past two years, nothing really better as he more likely has the final say now than when TD or Marv were around.

Duh...

So if the personnel guys are so bad, how do we actually know the coaching is the problem- and if the coaching is the problem, maybe the talent is better than we think- you need to think long and hard before making this type of move

I just hope that firing the coaching staff isn't the bills mgt's way of getting things right......

We need more.....

True, that. The only thing the past three changes in coaching staff has done is brought new faces to call time-outs, waste challenge flags. To wit, under Gregg, Mularky, and Jauron:

CBs all this while have still played 10 yards off of the LOS.

The lines all this while have been filled with mostly dreck.

LB depth has been atrocious the past 10 years.

No consistent pass attack, and a 'power rushing' style that largely gets overpowered itself.

A great deal of resources and roster space has been put into STs... ~10% of the game

The same type of coaches have been hired and/or their differences haven't been great enough to produce new/better schemes and results from what they're given. Nothing has really changed because change is not wanted.

Truth hurts, but for this team to really start getting better, Ralph needs to go. Most everything else will follow.

So if the personnel guys are so bad, how do we actually know the coaching is the problem- and if the coaching is the problem, maybe the talent is better than we think- you need to think long and hard before making this type of move

Gregg Williams

2001: 3-13

2002: 8-8

2003: 6-10

17 wins 31 losses

Mike Mularkey

2004: 9-7

2005: 5-11

14 wins, 18 losses

Dick Jauron

2006: 7-9

2007: 7-9

2008: 7-9

2009: 3-5

24 wins, 32 losses

Easy answer, it's the coaches. But, if you look at what's been constant since 2001, it's been Modrak & Guy. Ed Kilgore & company had a great piece on channel 2 on why the Bills haven't been successful over the last 10 years, from bad drafts, failure to resign key free agents, terrible free agent pick-ups, terrible head coach selections...etc. IMO, it's time to clean house. I'd rather start with a clean state with a new front office regime, preferrably one involving Cowher or Schottenheimer.

True, that. The only thing the past three changes in coaching staff has done is brought new faces to call time-outs, waste challenge flags. To wit, under Gregg, Mularky, and Jauron:

CBs all this while have still played 10 yards off of the LOS.

The lines all this while have been filled with mostly dreck.

LB depth has been atrocious the past 10 years.

No consistent pass attack, and a 'power rushing' style that largely gets overpowered itself.

A great deal of resources and roster space has been put into STs... ~10% of the game

The same type of coaches have been hired and/or their differences haven't been great enough to produce new/better schemes and results from what they're given. Nothing has really changed because change is not wanted.

Truth hurts, but for this team to really start getting better, Ralph needs to go. Most everything else will follow.

I agree. I don't think the Bills will be a serious Superbowl contender again until Ralph is no longer the owner. I do believe Ralph cares a lot about the Bills and wants to see a Superbowl championship, but he's too "shell-shocked" from feeling burnt by old GM's (Donahoe, Butler & Polian) and old coaches (Saban, Knox, Phillips). Because Ralph is so shell-shocked that he will only hire "Yes sir, Mr. Wilson" type people.

I agree. I don't think the Bills will be a serious Superbowl contender again until Ralph is no longer the owner. I do believe Ralph cares a lot about the Bills and wants to see a Superbowl championship, but he's too "shell-shocked" from feeling burnt by old GM's (Donahoe, Butler & Polian) and old coaches (Saban, Knox, Phillips). Because Ralph is so shell-shocked that he will only hire "Yes sir, Mr. Wilson" type people.

You are right on target that the problem is not likely to be fixed by the mere firing of Jauron or even the mere firing of Guy and Modrak.

The common denominator in all of this Mr. Ralph.

Rather than him being burnt by Polian, Butler, TD, T think there is an equally good case that he also burnt them or at least burnt the Bills by mismanaqing most of these hiring and retention choices and using the Golden Rule (he who has the gold rules) to overide professional football minds and exercise his owners right to meddle with disastrous results.

Its impossible to fire the owner in our system, so a realistic change would be TD getting a real GM in here and letting this person manage the team.