Cowher as new coach or bust

box0life

To be honest with you, if we don't attempt to get Cowher in here next year then I am going to be disappointed. I know the chances of getting him are real slim, but at least try. I don't want Marty ball next year, Herm Edwards, Gruden, Haslett or Holmgren. These coaches haven't done anything lately and the new NFL has passed them by. Cowher is coming off of true success in Pittsburgh, is still young and may be more motivated then ever. If Cowher isn't an option, then I'd be satisfied with Dungy, Shanahan, Pete Carroll or Urban Meyer. Of course I know none of them will come to Buffalo, because our owner won't pay to get them here. We will hire another offensive or defensive coordinator from last year to be the head coach and we'll be right back where started after another failed experiment. I;ll be sick to my stomach if we decide on another coach who has already failed and been fired before (ala Jauron).

Marty ball will not get you back to the Super Bowl so give up on that idea. He has never won in the playoffs. I don't want to make the playoffs and lose in the first round. We want a Super Bowl victory. Cowher gives us that chance, and his coaching style fits Buffalo to a T.

Marty ball will not get you back to the Super Bowl so give up on that idea. He has never won in the playoffs.

While I would prefer Cowher over Marty as well, that last sentence is false and I know that without even looking anything up. His Chiefs made it to the AFC Title game following the 93 season...so he had to have won at least one playoff game..odds are he has a few more somewhere as well.

Cowher will demand absolute personnel control if hired, in addition to a contract in excess of 6M per season. I don't see the Bills giving control to one man, nor paying that sort of salary. Cowher was backed up by some fine personnel executives in Pittsburgh, namely Kevin Colbert.

At this point, it's not even a guarantee the team hires a legitimate personnel man for GM, let alone a HC. The owner's advanced age means he probably isn't going to spend big and hand out a long term contract.

Still, Cowher would be an immense improvement. I'm just not sure he's the personnel guy people make him out to be.

These coaches haven't done anything lately and the new NFL has passed them by.

To the extent that the last thing of note Cowher has done was beat Holmgren in the Superbowl (on a series of questionable calls), I think Holmgren represents the better value at this point, since everyone is convinced that Cowher represents the One True Savior.

To the extent that the last thing of note Cowher has done was beat Holmgren in the Superbowl (on a series of questionable calls), I think Holmgren represents the better value at this point, since everyone is convinced that Cowher represents the One True Savior.

What gives anyone the impression that Cowher or Holmgren (or Shottenheimer or Gruden or anyone else) would be interested in the Bills job or that Wilson would be interested in them? Just because people on this board would prefer them, that doesn't really mean anything. The Bills are going to get whoever Wilson prefers, and his track record isn't great.

It was a figure of speech. He has won some playoff games, but on average he usually losses very early in the playoffs, even when they are seeded higher and have home playoff games. He has sucked in the playoffs.

the same was said about Cowher before finally winning his one Super Bowl...Marty would put the Bills back on the right path and at this point getting back to the playoffs would be like winning the super bowl for the Bills

you havent been paying attention if you think any of the big names you mentioned have a chance in hell of becoming the next head coach of the Bills...its amazing how many people continue to mention the big named coaches when there is ZERO chance any of them are coaching the bills next year

Ralph is not going to pay a head coach 6-8 mil a year plus what he would still have to pay Jauron if he even fires him which is by no means a guarantee

It was a figure of speech. He has won some playoff games, but on average he usually losses very early in the playoffs, even when they are seeded higher and have home playoff games. He has sucked in the playoffs.

I never understood this criticism of Marty. Is it really his fault when his RB fumbles on a the goal line in the AFC Championship, or when his player make a game-clinching pick on 4th down against the Pats only to fumble it and give the Pats the ball?

Winning in the playoffs is about a turnover here or there, or a big great play or a big bad play. It's rare that a team wins by outcoaching the other.

Shanny please. That dude has a consistent scheme. Give him the keys. I wasn't ever impressed with Holmgren's Hawks. Cowher has the right intensity, but was he also the beneficiary of being swaddled in a stable organization with sound football practices? If you want youth, bring in Gruden with a real football GM.

To be honest with you, if we don't attempt to get Cowher in here next year then I am going to be disappointed. I know the chances of getting him are real slim, but at least try. I don't want Marty ball next year, Herm Edwards, Gruden, Haslett or Holmgren. These coaches haven't done anything lately and the new NFL has passed them by. Cowher is coming off of true success in Pittsburgh, is still young and may be more motivated then ever. If Cowher isn't an option, then I'd be satisfied with Dungy, Shanahan, Pete Carroll or Urban Meyer. Of course I know none of them will come to Buffalo, because our owner won't pay to get them here. We will hire another offensive or defensive coordinator from last year to be the head coach and we'll be right back where started after another failed experiment. I;ll be sick to my stomach if we decide on another coach who has already failed and been fired before (ala Jauron).

Marty ball will not get you back to the Super Bowl so give up on that idea. He has never won in the playoffs. I don't want to make the playoffs and lose in the first round. We want a Super Bowl victory. Cowher gives us that chance, and his coaching style fits Buffalo to a T.

It has been said a million times on this forum, and it is so obvious. that Cowher isn't going to come to Buffalo. Not a chance in Hello. For one, Ralph wouldn't pay what it would take. Two, Ralph wouldn't give him complete control of player personnel. Three, the reason he left Pittsburgh was to be with family, the Carolina job will most likely be open after this season, and it is right in Cowhers backyard. Answer-Cowher will be the Panthers coach in 2010. Not a snowballs chance in a microwave he comes here, so don't get your hopes up or be disappointed for no reason at all.

it took Cowher 14 years to get a ring in Pittsburgh, are you willing to wait that long?

Cowher's overrated. I want Shanahan (not going to happen) or Gruden(possible).

and Shanahan isnt? what has he done without Elway? he also proved he cant build a team himself but there is no chance he wouldnt want all the power....how many defensive co-ordinators and overpriced bust d-lineman did he try in Denver

not that it matters bc neither has a chance of coaching the Bills next year

it took Cowher 14 years to get a ring in Pittsburgh, are you willing to wait that long?

Not to mention he was (mis)managing the best talent in football over much of that span.

With the talent he'd end up with here he might finally make the playoffs after 14 years.

Provided Ralph brought LeBeau back to carry him there. :thumbsup:

I agree, Cowher is the Bobby Cox of the NFL. Not that making the playoffs almost every year wouldn't be an improvement, it would, but he is overrated as a postseason coach. He had homefield throughout the playoffs 4 or 5 times and got beat at home every single time, once by the Bills. I too think Holmgren would be a better choice than Cowher, and Shanahan better than both. I don't think any of these big name coaches will come to Buffalo, and even if they did, unless Ralph pays for a real football man as the GM, even the best coaches can win with no talent.