Decade of Disappointment

per channel 2 WGRZ.com

Watched it this morning. Not a bad piece...in terms of production. In terms of content, well, let's face it...it's pretty much dead-on, and pretty much depressing. Really lays a lot of blame on Modrak and Guy, doesn't it?

My personal opinion? (Not that you give a schit, but it's a web board). The Bills' college draft the past couple of years has been pretty good. Maybe not great, but pretty good.

The Bills' free agent signings? A hemorrhage.

Watched it this morning. Not a bad piece...in terms of production. In terms of content, well, let's face it...it's pretty much dead-on, and pretty much depressing. Really lays a lot of blame on Modrak and Guy, doesn't it?

My personal opinion? (Not that you give a schit, but it's a web board). The Bills' college draft the past couple of years has been pretty good. Maybe not great, but pretty good.

Yep. Who are the current UFAs that would be starters on a healthy team? Hangartener and Owens on offense, Mitchell alone on defense. That's a tiny bit of return on a fairly significant investment in the free agent market.

right on

a symbol of what is truly wrong with this team

We spend close to $100 M on a center, a left guard and a right (partime left) tackle, we cut them all. I see it as either the office talent evaluation is terrible or the coaching of these players is terrible. The symbol is neither the front office or the coaches got fired for blowing $100M and setting the development of the O line back 3 years.

We now do the same thing at wide receiver and waste money on TO and hold back development of younger receivers. We are now back screwing around at safety that only 4 yeras ago we solved the problem for the next 10 yera with Witner and Simpson. Now we drafting safeties again when we need LB, DL, etc.

We either don't coach well or pick players well especially from Freeagency. Either way someone needs to get fired.

Yep. Who are the current UFAs that would be starters on a healthy team? Hangartener and Owens on offense, Mitchell alone on defense. That's a tiny bit of return on a fairly significant investment in the free agent market.

Mitchell would be a stretch, IMO. His skills have declined--all he can do is blitz.

The way Florence has played, he could probably start somewhere else.

I just don't understand the posters (you) on this board. It's clear that team owner Ralph Wilson is only interested in putting a marginal product on the field because fans pay to see anyhow.

Ralph is making money. That's all he's interested in, I hope you all know that.

If you go to the comments sections of the Rochester D & C and the Buffalo News the posters there get it! They constantly bash Ralph Wilson. But not here. Here posters actually debate how good players are and which coaches are good & bad - as if those things actually matter. <_<

Weird!

Mitchell would be a stretch, IMO. His skills have declined--all he can do is blitz.

The way Florence has played, he could probably start somewhere else.

Other teams...who knows. I just meant THIS team, if it was fully healthy. As it is now, we have UFAs like Kirk Chambers starting (or whoever we've got at RT).

Apparently it's my fault. I bought season tickets 10 years ago. The Bills reminded me of this when I received a frameable certificate from them thanking me for my 10 years of being a STH.

I've had mine for 22 years and I've never gotten such a thing :censored:

I just don't understand the posters (you) on this board. It's clear that team owner Ralph Wilson is only interested in putting a marginal product on the field because fans pay to see anyhow.

Ralph is making money. That's all he's interested in, I hope you all know that.

If you go to the comments sections of the Rochester D & C and the Buffalo News the posters there get it! They constantly bash Ralph Wilson. But not here. Here posters actually debate how good players are and which coaches are good & bad - as if those things actually matter. :censored:

Weird!

It is a bit odd that folks seem to want to blame folks like Guy or Modrak when ultimately the paychecks spring forth from Mr. Ralph. Even if one tries to insulate the boss from football decisions made by his GMs who hired Guy, Modrak or whomever, it still comes back to Mr. Ralph as he not only hired the incompetents who hired these incompetents, but somehow sat through several revampings and overall assessments which saw these incompetents survive the housecleaning.

When your record is 0 for a decade in making the playoffs, then you gotta look for the common denominator for these cases. Clue it ain't Dick Jauron.

It is a bit odd that folks seem to want to blame folks like Guy or Modrak when ultimately the paychecks spring forth from Mr. Ralph. Even if one tries to insulate the boss from football decisions made by his GMs who hired Guy, Modrak or whomever, it still comes back to Mr. Ralph as he not only hired the incompetents who hired these incompetents, but somehow sat through several revampings and overall assessments which saw these incompetents survive the housecleaning.

When your record is 0 for a decade in making the playoffs, then you gotta look for the common denominator for these cases. Clue it ain't Dick Jauron.

You're correct that RW is that common denominator to all of this decade of disappointment and even a casual observer should know this. Beginning with Phillips firing, Butler/Smith leaving, Donahoe, and through to Levy/Brandon, RW's decision making has become even more suspect as he's aged. To think he thought TO would erase DJ's faulty game planning is sheer lunacy.

Still, when he had a chance to start over, he chose to elevate Brandon, re-sign DJ, and then keep the HC when he finished 2-8. I won't believe this team is in it to win it until they find football people to make football decisions. If Dungy is right and the Bills are looking at Vick, they're not trying to win anymore but find gimmicks to sell tickets.

You're correct that RW is that common denominator to all of this decade of disappointment and even a casual observer should know this. Beginning with Phillips firing, Butler/Smith leaving, Donahoe, and through to Levy/Brandon, RW's decision making has become even more suspect as he's aged. To think he thought TO would erase DJ's faulty game planning is sheer lunacy.

Still, when he had a chance to start over, he chose to elevate Brandon, re-sign DJ, and then keep the HC when he finished 2-8. I won't believe this team is in it to win it until they find football people to make football decisions. If Dungy is right and the Bills are looking at Vick, they're not trying to win anymore but find gimmicks to sell tickets.

All true. The real problem here is the only person capable of doing anything about 'the decade of disappointment' either does not see the problem/solution or refuses to take action.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...eams/bills.html

Tell me what is "good" about that draft, not even 2 years ago? It may be the worst I have seen Buffalo have in 10 years!

Everything hinges on the development of Hardy, Corner, Fine, Bell and Johnson...and we all know McKelvin is decent, but a bonehead...so even he has a lot to prove.