Anyone got tonight's Syracuse hoops score?

Lori

I hear what your saying & it is concerning. Flynn did make this team run but he was definately NBA ready. As far as Harris & Devo, not sure if this is true or not but I heard from a couple people that Boeheim actually asked them to leave. Like I said I can not confirm this, & I really do not see the point in Jimmy B doing this so I question if it is true. In the same sense though, it did not make any sense for either of them to leave early either since neither one was going to get drafted so maybe it is true.

I think if the young guys could come together they may be tough to beat once league play starts. We will see, Big East should tough once again. Uconn, Louisville, WV, G Town, Villanova all look very good once again. I think Pitt will be down a little bit this year.

It was widely known around Syracuse that Harris had a pretty severe gambling problem. Devo was just a total degenerate so I wouldn't be shocked if Boeheim did as them the leave.

Neither of them will ever be heard from again.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got this email from my parents who in turn got it from someone that attended a dinner where Boeheim was the speaker.....some good points and confirmation about what others have said about Harris. Take it for what its worth....

All,

Yesterday I attended a fairly small dinner in town at which Coach B. was the guest of honor. He spoke for about 20 minutes and then took questions for about another 20 minutes. It was fun because he seemed to be very open and honest as there was no media there. He made lots of jokes about the LeMoyne game of course. Here are some of the highlights I remember:

1. He said that he wanted to win the game Tuesday and tried hard to win it, but he wasn’t going to play zone to win it. He said that this team is particularly terrible man to man and now they (and everyone else) knows it. Too slow to guard smaller faster players. If the game had counted they would have won by 20 – not to take anything away from LeMoyne, of course. “Better to get a wake up call in a game that doesn’t count than in one that does”. He joked about having the same record now as LeMoyne: 0-0.

2. When asked about playing more than 7 deep this year he said that he plays the number of players that are ready to play in games. He used Mookie Jones as an example of a player that wants more minutes, but when he got 11 minutes vs LeMoyne he had “zero points, zero rebounds, and got burned on defense 4 times – not the way to earn more playing time”. He said that “our freshman center is not ready to play in games yet along with others”.

3. He said that Paul Harris thought he was an NBA caliber player when he wasn’t and was frustrated that they didn’t run plays specifically for him since he believed he was a star. Coach said “he shot 18% from 3, and thought it was somehow my fault”. Coach said that he told him that he would end up either in the D-league or overseas and Paul disagreed. Coach said he told him “well if you aren’t in the D-league or overseas it will mean that you are sitting back at home in Buffalo”. Harris was certain that he’d make the NBA and didn’t listen, “but knows better now”.

4. He said the Donte Greene is “sitting on the end of the bench” at Sacramento and will struggle to stay in the league next year after his contract is up. Greene has worked hard, but is still pretty much “just a shooter; a good shooter, but not a great shooter. If all you can do is shoot you have to be great at it to stay in the league”.

5. Someone asked about AO’s free throw shooting. He said that AO can’t make them in practice either and it is really impacting his game. He worked extremely hard all summer (500/day) and spends 20 minutes extra after practice every day, but “will never be a 50% free throw shooter”. When he misses the first couple in a game it goes to his head. He also said that he has become less aggressive because he doesn’t want to get fouled.

6. He said that there are no problem children on this team and he doesn’t worry at all about any of them getting into trouble. This team tends to avoid trouble and they go home early at night. He said that there is “no need for them to stay out late looking for girls because there are plenty of girls knocking on their doors every day”.

7. He spent a lot of time talking about football – how it takes 2 to 4 years for a coach to have an impact, what fair weather fans we have in Syracuse which hurts recruiting; at other schools there would have been 60,000 fans to see the #5 team in the country, etc.

8. He told how he is always surprised how fans and commentators think they know more about how to coach and the team than the coach does. He said coaches don’t wake up and think things like “you know, I think I’m going to play our worst QB today” or “Man to man would be better, but I’m going to play the zone anyways”. He said that “commentators are typically coaches who couldn’t coach”. He specifically mentioned Brent Axe – sounds like the coach was listening to him on the radio on his way to the dinner.

9. He had a lot of positive things to say about recruiting and the future classes coming in and that the new basketball center is really helping them in that regard.

It was a lot of fun as he didn’t seem to worry about being PC. He was very entertaining. The saddest/funniest part was he said that his 10 year old tends to climb into bed with him during the night and he was there yesterday morning. When Jim woke up the first thing his son said was “Dad you stink – how could you lose to LeMoyne?”. I think it was a true story.

it could have been used more as a message for former and future players that sometimes the coach does know what he's talking about in terms of talent.....not sure where the 18% came from, but it may have just been an exxageration to once again make his point...these prima donnas need someone that refuses to blow smoke up their asses

cool of Boeheim to throw his former players under the bus like that.

Did JB pull out that 18% stat out of his ass?

I thought it was common knowledge that Harris and especially Devo left to support their kids by playing in Europe. Lets please not talk about them after every loss this year. We lost enough games with them to get to the NIT twice in three years (albeit it one snub in '07).

It was nice to see the previously (before Melo) maligned Boeheim reach such a milestone. As far as the game goes:

Rick Jackson is the team's best big man. He might be the team's best player. He has much better hands and feet than Anuaku.

Wesley Johnson filled the stat sheet, much like Harris, with 12pts 8rbs 6asst 4stls. He's a player.

Brandon Triche is going to frustrate many a fan this year. He'll be okay in time, but his decision making is frightening.

Mookie Jones is not a division 1 athlete. Too stiff in the neck, head, shoulder area. I can't imagine him on the team next year with the recruiting class coming in.

Deshonte Riley looks promising but I'm wondering if he's going to go the route of Sean Williams and leave the team because he's not going to get much PT.

Kris Joseph looks like he might be a player. If he takes that next step, this team could reak some havoc this year.

Andy Rautins needs to find his stroke, soon.

Scoop Jardine may end up getting more PT than Triche. Much better decision maker and the team seems to flow better with him.

Not sure if they are a tournament team. Lots of questions...

jealous much? :worthy:

Of Brown? Excuse me, Coach Will Brown, as his personal Web site reminds one? Hardly. Of 'Cuse? Didn't like the way they dumped the home-and-home w/PSU as soon as Boeheim became the HC, then conspired to keep the Blue and White out of the Big East, but the whompings JoePa has put on their football team through the years took care of that payback.

Nowadays, I know and respect too many Newhouse people -- including the outstanding writer whose Bills blog posts grace our front page -- to get overly malicious, but I have to admit I chuckled when I saw the LeMoyne score. Think I should get the t-shirt?

Of Brown? Excuse me, Coach Will Brown, as his personal Web site reminds one? Hardly. Of 'Cuse? Didn't like the way they dumped the home-and-home w/PSU as soon as Boeheim became the HC, then conspired to keep the Blue and White out of the Big East, but the whompings JoePa has put on their football team through the years took care of that payback.

Nowadays, I know and respect too many Newhouse people -- including the outstanding writer whose Bills blog posts grace our front page -- to get overly malicious, but I have to admit I chuckled when I saw the LeMoyne score. Think I should get the t-shirt?

That one.

What came first, hoops dropping H&H or PSU football doing the same? I honestly don't know the answer to that one, but I would assume that the second was in reaction to the first. PSU in the Big East would have been a very good thing for both schools.

You genetic predisposition does not allow you to buy a tee shirt with a dolphin on it.

Your going to get mad at SU for dropping home/home series with state???? Really. Old f*ck Paterno is famous for dropping home/home as soon as his beloved nittany lions do not have the upper hand anymore. Ask Alabama, West Virginia & especially Pitt fans how they feel about Paterno dropping them like a bad habit the minute their teams proved themselves to be worth challengers to PSU on a consistent basis. The four eyed f*ck would rather schedule powerhouses such as Akron, Temple the Little Sisters of the poor to keep his bowl streak intact. I have a friend at work that went to Pitt & he tells me that after all those years of home/home with Pitt that Paterno gave an ultimatium if they were to continue the series it was going to have to be a 2:1 home away for them to consider. That is total BS. I can not stand Paterno, & my friend says to this day he is one of the most hated men in pittsburgh. Don't ever bring Jimmie B's good name & drag it down into a discussion that involves Joe Paterno. Joe Paterno is the devil with coke bottle glasses imo. I am glad you guys got your lunch handed to you by Ohio State last weekend.

That one.

What came first, hoops dropping H&H or PSU football doing the same? I honestly don't know the answer to that one, but I would assume that the second was in reaction to the first. PSU in the Big East would have been a very good thing for both schools.

You genetic predisposition does not allow you to buy a tee shirt with a dolphin on it.

Boeheim started as HC in the late '70s and dumped PSU as soon as he could, because he thought Rec Hall was a dump. The Big East snub was in the early '80s. PSU didn't respond by dropping the football home-and-home until the 1991 season. (For the record, I believe JoePa was 21-4 against SU when the series ended.)

And you're probably right about the shirt, which is admittedly a little over the top. At least they're using it to raise money for a good cause, I guess ...

Congratulations to coach B on win #800 tonight.

I was lucky enough to be in Syracuse yesterday for work. And the company I was visiting tossed me a pair of seats. But it did cost me a parking ticket. I read the info wrong on the Parking allowed/not allowed on odd/even days sign.

Your going to get mad at SU for dropping home/home series with state???? Really. Old f*ck Paterno is famous for dropping home/home as soon as his beloved nittany lions do not have the upper hand anymore. Ask Alabama, West Virginia & especially Pitt fans how they feel about Paterno dropping them like a bad habit the minute their teams proved themselves to be worth challengers to PSU on a consistent basis. The four eyed f*ck would rather schedule powerhouses such as Akron, Temple the Little Sisters of the poor to keep his bowl streak intact. I have a friend at work that went to Pitt & he tells me that after all those years of home/home with Pitt that Paterno gave an ultimatium if they were to continue the series it was going to have to be a 2:1 home away for them to consider. That is total BS. I can not stand Paterno, & my friend says to this day he is one of the most hated men in pittsburgh. Don't ever bring Jimmie B's good name & drag it down into a discussion that involves Joe Paterno. Joe Paterno is the devil with coke bottle glasses imo. I am glad you guys got your lunch handed to you by Ohio State last weekend.

+1

Good game last night, but way too many missed free throws and 3-pointers. Score should have been 100-43. Also it looked like to me that the Cuse is currently a group of players that is still trying to figure out how to play together as a team. The energy is definitely there, so if they can figure it out they could be deadly when the Big East schedule rolls around, which is how Boeheim likes to work it.