Anyone got tonight's Syracuse hoops score?

Lori

Think y'all know, or can tell, that I'm no 'Cuse fan ... but any time ANYONE puts a smackdown on that smug SOB Coach Will Brown, it's a good night. So, well done.

Wow. I didn't know anything about Albany hoops, Coach Will Brown, or the touchy situation with the slighted girlfriend, SBU. So I did a little research. Man, does that article come off jaded.

So...

A successful coach at a university used the interest of another university as leverage for a raise??? Noooooooo I don't believe it, that never happens.

A coach suggested that the student section may not have been the definition of class when they were chanting taunts about his wife and children?? And he pretended he didn't hear it (in St. Bonaventure's high school gym) so he wouldn't have to discuss it with Jaded Local Reporter?? I'm sure that's never happened either.

And he decided to stay in the state capital, with recruiting ties to NYC/LI/Philly and the northeast, in a winnable conference, at a school that he has guided to two NCAA tournaments in the last 5 years? Instead of coming to a religious school with a tarnished basketball program in Olean, NY, scraping the bottom of the A-10 while trying to convince JUCO transfers and the 3rd-best player on high school teams to come to a small school in the middle of nowhere, where you will be the only 12 black people on campus??? How could he turn that down???

What happens when this reporter feels underpaid after years of successful articles? I'm sure he wouldn't use an offer from the sports department at the Binghamton Press & Sun Bulletin as leverage for more money. I'm sure it'd be easy for him to move himself and his family across the state to a desireable location like Binghamton, how could he even waver on that decision? And I'm sure that when Binghamton basketball team made a trip to St. Bonaventure, he'd feel fine if the Bonnies student section heckled him about his last article and insulted his wife and kids.

Strange article with an obvious anger toward somebody who, from what my 20 minutes of research digs up, seems like an okay guy and career basketball junkie.

If he's going to jump down people's throats for "lying", he should do it when somebody says that they're looking forward to spending their next 10 years in Olean, NY.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting hypothetical, considering Vinny's single, has never worked in Binghamton, and wasn't out of college long enough to become jaded when that was written. Might want to do a little more research.

And when you do, ask the folks at the Times-Union how THEY feel about Brown. Might get some ... interesting ... answers.

Interesting hypothetical, considering Vinny's single, has never worked in Binghamton, and wasn't out of college long enough to become jaded when that was written. Might want to do a little more research.

I didn't pretend my research was anything more than a 20-minute scan of Brown's coaching career and SBU's pursuit of him. He seems to have been pretty successful at a young age, and Bonaventure sure seemed pretty high on him before he declined their offer, and their 2nd offer, and decided to keep his family at home in Albany rather than uproot them cross-state.

As for my hypothetical, it was just that- a hypothetical. And it was simply stated to put the writer in a position similar to Brown's, as far as career choices and such. The guy Vinny seemed awfully angry that Brown didn't exactly view the job at SBU (coming off a horrid scandal and a 2-win season) to be career advancement. Then he seemed angry that Brown didn't want to discuss the taunts from the student section, and called him a liar when Brown used the famous coachspeak "I don't hear that stuff" like every other coach does. I didn't get the article's point. Like I said, I had no idea about Brown or SBU's courtship. Even without knowing the history, it read like a high school girl's note to her friend in math class about the boy who dumped her. "He's such a liar!! I'm so much better without him..."

And when you do, ask the folks at the Times-Union how THEY feel about Brown. Might get some ... interesting ... answers.

I have always found sportswriters to be among the most open-minded and warm-hearted people, never bringing their baggage or perceived slights or hidden agendas to their work....

I'd probably check with Brown's players and the Albany A.D. before I asked anybody at the Times Union.

• 2 weeks later...
i don't want to jinx anything......I'm just sayin', early in the 2nd half the Orange are looking pretty strong... :w00t:

First Cuse game I've had a chance to see this year, and they actually look like they have the potential to be better than they were last year.

Wesley Johnson is a Hakim Warrick clone, but better all-around basketball skills and looks like he has NBA potential.

The true freshman Tische, looks like he is going to be a real player for them and Scoop Jardine has stepped up to take the PG spot vacated by Flynn.

Rautins is probably the best passer in college basketball and can shoot the rock like no other, and they have some great depth in the front court with Onuaku, Jackson, and Johnson.

Boeheim thinks this is the strongest group on defense he's ever had.

It all makes for a what should be a really exciting year of Syracuse basketball.

they looked really impressive tonight...looks like rautins and scoop are gonna step up big time and take the team on their backs

First Cuse game I've had a chance to see this year, and they actually look like they have the potential to be better than they were last year.

Wesley Johnson is a Hakim Warrick clone, but better all-around basketball skills and looks like he has NBA potential.

The true freshman Tische, looks like he is going to be a real player for them and Scoop Jardine has stepped up to take the PG spot vacated by Flynn.

Rautins is probably the best passer in college basketball and can shoot the rock like no other, and they have some great depth in the front court with Onuaku, Jackson, and Johnson.

Boeheim thinks this is the strongest group on defense he's ever had.

It all makes for a what should be a really exciting year of Syracuse basketball.

First game I've seen as well. Impressive. We're big, but not in a slow kind of way.

Johnson is as good as advertised, which I have to admit surprised me a little. That's a huge plus.

Defense looked good too. Boeheim isn't the sort of guy who makes gushy comments, so if he's optimistic about that, so am I.

Not sure I come away from this 1 game with a strong feeling either way on the PG play. But it's nice to see Trische and Scoop both appear at least competent, so we can just platoon them or go with who has the hot hand on a given night.

First game I've seen as well. Impressive. We're big, but not in a slow kind of way.

Johnson is as good as advertised, which I have to admit surprised me a little. That's a huge plus.

Defense looked good too. Boeheim isn't the sort of guy who makes gushy comments, so if he's optimistic about that, so am I.

Not sure I come away from this 1 game with a strong feeling either way on the PG play. But it's nice to see Trische and Scoop both appear at least competent, so we can just platoon them or go with who has the hot hand on a given night.

I got a strange feeling they are going to dump Carolina tonight.

They were really impressive last night. Most active defense out of the 2-3 that I can remember from them in a long time. Both point guards looked good, especially Scoop. Rautins staying healthy all year will be big. Having guys that are 6'5+ at the 2-5 spots is going to be a huge positive for the team defense going forward. Their length is going to be tough to matchup with for most teams in the nation. However, one of the teams that can match up with Cuse's length is the one that they just so happen to be playing tonight.... Should be interesting.

Best all around team I've seen for 'cuse in a very long time. There is no "star" that can get in the way, no single person other teams can shutdown, but five well rounded players on the floor at all times. They put on a clinic of zone defense last night.

They'll still have growing pains and WTF moments, but this is a solid team. Probable sweet 16 contenders this year, probably not more. But watch out next year......although, if they keep growing as a team they may be a late season shocker.

Cal doesn't impress me like they do the pollsters, they're a team of raw talent without much substance. Tonight will tell if it was a fluke, or a preview. They don't have to win, but if they keep it close other teams better take note.

i liked how bobby knight said that with the talent we have, flynn would not be missed too badly...not a slam against jonny, more a testament to the talent and depth on this team...

Best all around team I've seen for 'cuse in a very long time. There is no "star" that can get in the way, no single person other teams can shutdown, but five well rounded players on the floor at all times. They put on a clinic of zone defense last night.

They'll still have growing pains and WTF moments, but this is a solid team. Probable sweet 16 contenders this year, probably not more. But watch out next year......although, if they keep growing as a team they may be a late season shocker.

Tonight will tell if it was a fluke, or a preview. They don't have to win, but if they keep it close other teams better take note.

i liked how bobby knight said that with the talent we have, flynn would not be missed too badly...not a slam against jonny, more a testament to the talent and depth on this team...

Flynn was fun to watch, but when you have a guy like that the talent of others can be overshadowed and wasted. When it comes to college ball, give me 5 solid players over 1 great and 4 average players any day. Melo without G-Mac wouldn't have won that championship. Flynn didn't have a G-Mac and weaknesses were easily exposed last year.

yeah I know, UNC, even though their 4th or 5th ranked are not nearly as good as they have been in years past. I fully expect a cuse win tonight.

I like your optimism as far as Cuse goes, they looked great last night, but I wouldn't get too carried away with how down you think Carolina is going to be this year. They won't be the same team as last year because of the lost veteran leadership and point guard play of Ty Lawson. However, they have 6 skilled big men in their lineup that go 6'9 or better. This includes two future lottery picks in Ed Davis, who starts, and Jon Henson. As well as Deon Thompson who is a senior this year and will be NBA-bound, and Tyler Zeller and the Wear brothers who all could very well be drafted. Ginyard is one of the most underrated players in the country as well, especially defensively. He hounded Evan Turner of OSU for much of the night yesterday. They went 11 deep in that game by the way. A big key to their season is going to be the continued progress of sophomore PG Larry Drew II. He seems to be developing pretty well early on, though. Bottom line: I think this is going to be a much better Tar Heel team on the defensive end this year, and they should have a significant advantage down low and on the glass against most teams all season long. Guard play and turnovers are still questions, but if they can get even average play out of those spots, this is going to be a damn good team once again.