The Curse of Doug Flutie!

Then I'm sure you must find it ironic that RJ gets blamed for home run forward lateral.

PTR

No, I blame him for not running the clock down to about :04 seconds, that way once we kicked the FG, the game would have been over and no chance for the Forward Lateral.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple...he fumbled the ball with seconds left 1 yard away from the winning touchdown. Get it? He...Doug Flutie...all by himself...dropped the football...causing the Bills to lose. And he did it at the end of the game when there would be no more chances to try again. In my book that makes you the guy who lost the game.

PTR

It was 4th and goal from the 6 yard line and Flutie took a head on diving tackle. My point is, if Andre Reed didn't act like an ass, hit the ref with the ball causing a 15 yard personal foul penalty, it wouldn't have had to that last drive. I blame Reed on that loss, not Flutie.

No, I blame him for not running the clock down to about :04 seconds, that way once we kicked the FG, the game would have been over and no chance for the Forward Lateral.

how is coaching absolved from not running the clock down? Shouldn't Wade have known to do that?

Which is as retarded a thing you can say because when RJ walked off the field the Bills had the gane won. Instead we choke on the kick coverage. How is that RJs fault?

Oh...please do not forget that Flutie's playoff recordf with the Bills is 0-1. Everyone forgets he lost us the Miami game the year before by fumbling ther ball at the 1yd line. Where was the freakin' Flutiie magic that day? RJ gets hammered and Flutie gets a mulligan. :cry:

PTR

You should not forget that Flutie drove the Bills down to the one yard line with no time left. But more importanlty, on the first play of the game, Flutie threw a bomb to Moulds for an easy 80 yard touchdown, and Moulds hotdogged it and fumbled the ball. That sure TD would have won the game for the Bills. Pinning that loss on Flutie is laughable.

flutie wasn't that great in 99. he was practically a turnover machine, with multiple interceptions in several games.

That was when he actually threw the ball. Reed and Moulds were frequently open when the :thumbsup: midget chose to run instead of throw. Drives stalled that would've ended in TDs thanks to that crap. :wallbash:

Not the point.. though since you brought it up...

Moulds' fumble happened on the first play of the game; lots of time to make that up.

Reed's blowup resulted in the field goal that brought them within a TD. Then came the onside kick, and the drive to the tying TD, which resulted in the Flutie turnover. One could argue that Andre's penalty was minor, since they scored anyway on that drive....

Isn't a big part of the Flutie magic being able to come back in games? When Flutie lost it was everybody else's fault. When he won tight games it was all his doing.

Then I'm sure you must find it ironic that RJ gets blamed for home run forward lateral.

PTR

:wallbash: As I stated above, Win = All Flutie, Loss = Everybody else's fault.

Ever since we picked RJ over him weve been cursed. That is when this 10 years of missery officially began. Home Run Throwback the first Game after he was replaced. All downhill from there. It is so simple, this missery is the FLUTIE curse.

What?!?! Remember the playoff game against the Dolphins that Flutie stunk it up? Remember Hobert not knowing the playbook? Remember Todd Collins's horrible games????

How do you think Flutie was in a position to make a miracle comeback? He sucked the first three quarters, that's why.

Flutie was just as bad as the others... getting to the playoffs and losing in the first round and letting our great defense hang out to dry. Enough with the "Poor Flutie" nonsense- he wasn't the answer- in fact, Bledsoe was the best QB we've had since Kelly, and yet he still was garbage.

Isn't a big part of the Flutie magic being able to come back in games? When Flutie lost it was everybody else's fault. When he won tight games it was all his doing.

Yep. Press conferences after a loss were all "we didn't, we couldn't" etc. After a win, "I did, I, I, I".

What?!?! Remember the playoff game against the Dolphins that Flutie stunk it up? Remember Hobert not knowing the playbook? Remember Todd Collins's horrible games????

How do you think Flutie was in a position to make a miracle comeback? He sucked the first three quarters, that's why.

Flutie was just as bad as the others... getting to the playoffs and losing in the first round and letting our great defense hang out to dry. Enough with the "Poor Flutie" nonsense- he wasn't the answer- in fact, Bledsoe was the best QB we've had since Kelly, and yet he still was garbage.

Wow, Flutie played like garbage huh? In that game, Flutie was 21 for 36, 360 passing yards, 1TD 1INT. I guess Johnson could have passed for 360 yards that game too?! Maybe if Moulds didn't hotdog it on his run, he would have had a 80 yard TD. Maybe if Andre Reed didn't hit the ref with the ball and get a personal foul penalty, maybe we would have scored a TD with it being 1st and goal within the 1 yard line. So, the way I look at it, Moulds and Reed cost us 11 points that game. 7 for Moulds, 4 for Reed, since we had to kick a FG after being backed up to the 15 yard line because of his stupid personal foul penalty.

Flutie wasn't a great QB, but he wasn't horrible either. Who cares that we weren't blowing teams out during Flutie's time as starting QB, we were winning games. I'd rather take just barely beating teams and making it to the playoffs, compared to the crap we've seen on the field this decade.

Flutie's last game as a Bill:

20/25 366 Passing yards, 3TD's 0 INT's, 158.3 QB rating (perfect rating)

When was the last time a Bill's QB had a perfect rating?

Flutie's biggest downfall was his height. A lot of people on here can knock on him and say he was a bad QB, but there hasn't been a Bills QB since him that has played with more heart.

flutie wasn't that great in 99. he was practically a turnover machine, with multiple interceptions in several games.

I never post.. however.. You may want to look at Fluties numbers compared to Jimbo's in Kelly's final 2 superbowl years. Flutie's 1999 season is actually better than Kelly's 93 Superbowl season from a TD/interception standpoint. And for what it's worth I don't think there is a man alive that could take the hit from Trace Armstrong that Flutie took in underneath the shoulder and hung onto the ball... take a look

Just my 2 cents.

Flutie's last game as a Bill:

20/25 366 Passing yards, 3TD's 0 INT's, 158.3 QB rating (perfect rating)

When was the last time a Bill's QB had a perfect rating?

Flutie's biggest downfall was his height. A lot of people on here can knock on him and say he was a bad QB, but there hasn't been a Bills QB since him that has played with more heart.

I think Drew Brees has 2 inches on him in height and thats about it.

I never post.. however.. You may want to look at Fluties numbers compared to Jimbo's in Kelly's final 2 superbowl years. Flutie's 1999 season is actually better than Kelly's 93 Superbowl season from a TD/interception standpoint. And for what it's worth I don't think there is a man alive that could take the hit from Trace Armstrong that Flutie took in underneath the shoulder and hung onto the ball... take a look

Just my 2 cents.

The way people sound on here, like it was a terrible Bledsoe fumble where Bledsoe held onto the ball away from his thigh with one hand and as soon as he got hit, he fumbled every time. Flutie got Trace Armstrong's helmet drilled into his armpit, there's NO QB in the league that would have held onto the ball.

I think Drew Brees has 2 inches on him in height and thats about it.

A.J. Smith in San Diego was giving up on Brees when the Chargers drafted Rivers. Schottenheimer wanted Brees, Smith wanted Rivers, which is part of the reason why Marty is no longer in SD.

Just my 2 cents.

stats are for those who either don't watch the games or simply don't understand the game

Bottom line

Flutie as Bills Starter - 21-9 (sacked once every 23.1 dropbacks)

Johnson as Bills Starter - 9-17 (sacked once every 6.5 dropbacks)

If Flutie was a bad QB just riding a good team, how come that good team could only muster 9 wins out of 26 with RJ over the same time while they won 70% of their games with Flutie playing?

He threw 19 TD passes in 15 games in 1999. Only 8 QBs threw for more that year.

If we had a QB come in next year and have a year like Doug had in 1999, we'd start comparing him to Jim Kelly and crown his a$$ the new franchise QB.

Saying Flute sucked is ridiculous and just plain silly.