The Curse of Doug Flutie!

Actually, Johnson had a statistically terrible game against one of the worst pass defenses in the league - Tennessee, whose pass defense was 25th in yards allowed and 27th in TDs allowed in 1999.

Who cares about all of these stats. The fact is we now have to live with the Flutie curse. We need to find a way to fix this. 4 super bowl losses were bad, but atleast we made the playoffs. Flutie benched.......10 years of not sniffing the post season.

This is the Flutie curse because he reflected everything everything buffalo is. He was an undersized, great white hope, who lived his whole life in the snow. Then he was benched by Ralph Wilson.....A near Billionaire who does not even live in Buffalo. I think untill Ralphy Boy Passes the Flutie Curse will remain.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

remember the 3 ints RJ threw in the first half. we might have gone to the super bowl if flutie played in the playoffs with the team he led there

Please. Flutie's little "pixie hop" when he threw his passes stopped fooling anyone by his second year. I recall DF having games where he struggled to score just one TD against mediocre teams, so why do you think he could have scored multiple TDs against in the playoffs??

PTR

Please. Flutie's little "pixie hop" when he threw his passes stopped fooling anyone by his second year. I recall DF having games where he struggled to score just one TD against mediocre teams, so why do you think he could have scored multiple TDs against in the playoffs??

PTR

The FACT the Bills were in the PLAYOFFS was BECAUSE of Flutie!!!!!!!!!

we were where we were because of Flutie.

How's that Flutie blow-up doll working for you? The number 1 defense in the NFL was the reason we went 11-5. If you actually think QB play was a strength in 1999, I have some ocean front property in Kansas to sell you. We could've skipped the Wild Card Round altogether but your midget hero !@#$ed up too much for the defense to bail him out a few games

Who cares about all of these stats. The fact is we now have to live with the Flutie curse. We need to find a way to fix this. 4 super bowl losses were bad, but atleast we made the playoffs. Flutie benched.......10 years of not sniffing the post season.

This is the Flutie curse because he reflected everything everything buffalo is. He was an undersized, great white hope, who lived his whole life in the snow. Then he was benched by Ralph Wilson.....A near Billionaire who does not even live in Buffalo. I think untill Ralphy Boy Passes the Flutie Curse will remain.

Buffalo is not full of a bunch of :thumbsup: heads!! <_<

Which is as retarded a thing you can say because when RJ walked off the field the Bills had the gane won. Instead we choke on the kick coverage. How is that RJs fault?

Oh...please do not forget that Flutie's playoff recordf with the Bills is 0-1. Everyone forgets he lost us the Miami game the year before by fumbling ther ball at the 1yd line. Where was the freakin' Flutiie magic that day? RJ gets hammered and Flutie gets a mulligan. :lol:

PTR

First off, it was one of the biggest boneheaded decisions to replace your starting QB who guided the team to a 10-5 record and a playoff berth. Starting Johnson in the playoffs caused numerous false start penalties in the first half of the playoff game. Because of the numerous false start penalties, we were backed up in our end zone and Johnson was sacked for a safety.

Second, a veteran QB would have ran the game clock to around :04 left, that way, once we kicked the FG, the game would have been over.

Third, why in the hell do people continue to blame Flutie for the Miami playoff loss. That loss should be shared by Eric Moulds & Andre Reed. Moulds had a costly fumble in the first half. Reed got pissed at the refs because the ref didn't signal "Touchdown", so Reed hit the ref in the back with the football, getting a 15 personal foul penalty and ejected from the game. So, instead of having a 1st and goal from the goaline, it's 1st and goal from the 15 yard line, all thanks to Reed, a veteran WR who couldn't keep his composure. On 4th and goal from the 6 yard line, Flutie got smashed by the defense. It would have been nice to have 4 downs to try and score a TD from the goaline, instead of having to drive 15 yards. Great job of not keeping your composure Reed!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-...utie-vs-Johnson

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-...utie-vs-Johnson

There is no doubt in my mind, the BB win if Fluti plays that game, is the 3rd greatest QB in team history behind Kelly & Kemp

I stand corrected, Fergy belongs above Fluti, Lamonica- no, his career outside Buffalo does not matter to BB history

In retrospect I don't like either, but let's balance out the factors.

Miami playoff - DF gets disproportionate blame, yet it was Moulds' stupid fumble that took potential points off the board, and it was Reed's stupidity for moving them back from the goal line.

Tenn playoff - RJ played out of his mind when you consider he started the game with a LT ho had no legs and Byron Boston did his best to keep Tenny in the game (waiting for a Tim Donaghy-like expose of this guy).

The reasons Bills lost those games was not due to the QB, same as the reasons Bills lose today's games are not due solely to QBs - although both still stink.

Not true on the Miami game... DF threw an INT in the end zone from inside the 10 just before the half, thus turning the ball over TWICE from inside the 10 in that game. His role in the defeat was much greater than RJ's role in the Tenn loss. I can see that, and I never liked RJ. Well, except for his tasteful initials...

Not true on the Miami game... DF threw an INT in the end zone from inside the 10 just before the half, thus turning the ball over TWICE from inside the 10 in that game. His role in the defeat was much greater than RJ's role in the Tenn loss. I can see that, and I never liked RJ. Well, except for his tasteful initials...

I guess Moulds fumble and Reed's personal foul penalty/ejection at the goaline had absolutely no impact on the game either?!

I guess Moulds fumble and Reed's personal foul penalty/ejection at the goaline had absolutely no impact on the game either?!

Not the point.. though since you brought it up...

Moulds' fumble happened on the first play of the game; lots of time to make that up.

Reed's blowup resulted in the field goal that brought them within a TD. Then came the onside kick, and the drive to the tying TD, which resulted in the Flutie turnover. One could argue that Andre's penalty was minor, since they scored anyway on that drive....

I was just referencing the plays that were called out in the thread, not the entire game. But yes, there were other plays where DF came up ... small.

Interesting thing about that Miami game is that the D played like crapola, particularly Big Ted was very winded and I think Bruce took him to task afterwards about being out of shape. The D turned that embarrassment into the best unit the next year.

For naught.

Not the point.. though since you brought it up...

Moulds' fumble happened on the first play of the game; lots of time to make that up.

Reed's blowup resulted in the field goal that brought them within a TD. Then came the onside kick, and the drive to the tying TD, which resulted in the Flutie turnover. One could argue that Andre's penalty was minor, since they scored anyway on that drive....

3 points compared to 7 points would have made all the difference in that game. Instead of needing a TD on the last drive, we could have kicked a FG.

My point is, multiple players screwed up in that game, but some still blame Flutie. I am a big Flutie fan, but I also know that he wasn't a Kelly, Elway, Marino, Montana type player. Then again, he wasn't a Rob Johnson or a J.P. Losman either.

3 points compared to 7 points would have made all the difference in that game. Instead of needing a TD on the last drive, we could have kicked a FG.

My point is, multiple players screwed up in that game, but some still blame Flutie. I am a big Flutie fan, but I also know that he wasn't a Kelly, Elway, Marino, Montana type player. Then again, he wasn't a Rob Johnson or a J.P. Losman either.

Then I'm sure you must find it ironic that RJ gets blamed for home run forward lateral.

PTR

Third, why in the hell do people continue to blame Flutie for the Miami playoff loss.

Simple...he fumbled the ball with seconds left 1 yard away from the winning touchdown. Get it? He...Doug Flutie...all by himself...dropped the football...causing the Bills to lose. And he did it at the end of the game when there would be no more chances to try again. In my book that makes you the guy who lost the game.

PTR