The Curse of Doug Flutie!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever since we picked RJ over him weve been cursed. That is when this 10 years of missery officially began. Home Run Throwback the first Game after he was replaced. All downhill from there. It is so simple, this missery is the FLUTIE curse.

Sounds more like the Ralph Wilson curse. Isn't he the one who insisted on RJ for that game....and then hired awful GMs and coaches for the next decade?

It was the right decision to start Johnson.

Flutie could have never won that game.

funny you should say that, i was watching the top 10 qb controversays on NFL network the other day, and RJ, Flutie actually made the list at like 6 i think, but anyway they talked about the tenn game, and had a pretty recent interview with wade phillips, and he said he regrets not starting flutie because there is no doubt in his mind that flutie would have won that game. I cant say that i disagree

Although I am a Flutieman, it was however, the grittiest game of RJ's career. He won that game for us (with one shoe on).

I hate RJ, but it wasn't his fault Special Teams relaxed and choked.

WRONG! Gritty you say? RJ was such an idiot he didnt properly tape up his shoes. Just like he wore a stupid rag around his head, and couldnt read a defense AT ALL, this just showed what an idiot/dork he was, but you call that grit? He passed for 98 yards in that game and only did well against a prevent in the final minute. You will never know how many passes he missed before that final drive, maybe we should have been up by 14 by the end but RJ had several 3 and outs. Antwain scored 2 big TDs and RJ got a 15 yard roughing the passer to keep one td drive alive. Grit? Rediculous.

funny you should say that, i was watching the top 10 qb controversays on NFL network the other day, and RJ, Flutie actually made the list at like 6 i think, but anyway they talked about the tenn game, and had a pretty recent interview with wade phillips, and he said he regrets not starting flutie because there is no doubt in his mind that flutie would have won that game. I cant say that i disagree

Which is as retarded a thing you can say because when RJ walked off the field the Bills had the gane won. Instead we choke on the kick coverage. How is that RJs fault?

Oh...please do not forget that Flutie's playoff recordf with the Bills is 0-1. Everyone forgets he lost us the Miami game the year before by fumbling ther ball at the 1yd line. Where was the freakin' Flutiie magic that day? RJ gets hammered and Flutie gets a mulligan. :devil:

PTR

Flutie/RJ? who cares......lets face it they both were below average. I personally would have gone with RJ and he played very well in that Tenn game and had us in the lead with just a few seconds left and the special teams blew it. While RJ never really amounted to much, Flutie was really struggling down the stretch that year. Defenses had started to figure him out and slow him down. Alot of Flutians also fail to mention Flutie lost the year before in the playoffs at Miami as he threw an interception late in the game. All in all it was a wash......neither one of them was a qb good enough to take us anywhere and we have had the qb merry go round since then.

I have never understood the flutie fascination and I still can't believe he is mentioned by some around here like he was Brett Favre. He had a small stretch of games in the NFL where he did anything. Most of his stats he racked up in the CFL. He really wasn't that good of a player and from what a lot of posters have said over the years, he is a pompous jerk off the field.

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda. Please folks, move on from things you will never be able to change of know what might have been with any accuracy whatsoever.

Which is as retarded a thing you can say because when RJ walked off the field the Bills had the gane won. Instead we choke on the kick coverage. How is that RJs fault?

Oh...please do not forget that Flutie's playoff recordf with the Bills is 0-1. Everyone forgets he lost us the Miami game the year before by fumbling ther ball at the 1yd line. Where was the freakin' Flutiie magic that day? RJ gets hammered and Flutie gets a mulligan. :devil:

PTR

Flutie hardly gets a mulligan for the defeat in Miami. He played well, but he also made alot of mistakes. He had alot of great passes in that game and he rolled up a ton of passing stats, but he threw picks and he fumbled too much in the game.

RJ was horrible in his one chance. If he hadn't have played so bad in the first half, and if the Bills coaching staff wouldn't have started Fina at LT it may have been different. Fina had an injured knee and couldn't move. In the second half, the center was moved to LT and the problems went away.

No way is heII Flutie fumbles the ball out of the back of the end zone for a safety. Flutie plays that game and we win by 2 TDs. I'll take that to my grave and you'll never convince me otherwise.

PTR

Also, I know you haven't had enough of your Flutie fix, so catch him on Versus covering the UFL. Don't get Versus? Check out the UFL website and watch the game there.

PTR

Give it up...you'll never convince Flutie fans of the facts. RJ sucked, but so did Flutie and everyone who watched the 1999 season that doesn't own a Flutie blow-up doll can see that. When Moulds and Reed were constantly open and the QB refuses to throw the ball, it's poor QBing to say the least.

Ever since we picked RJ over him weve been cursed. That is when this 10 years of missery officially began. Home Run Throwback the first Game after he was replaced. All downhill from there. It is so simple, this missery is the FLUTIE curse.

Hell, I think it's the curse of McKinley. The entire city and western NY has gone downhill since then.

I also am a flutie fan and think we would never have been in the position for the music city miracle, had flutie been in charge...more touchdowns.

It is the music city miracle curse. This team hasn't sniffed the playoff's since. It didn't matter who was QB that day. They were in positiion to win and their special teams blew it.

PTR

In retrospect I don't like either, but let's balance out the factors.

Miami playoff - DF gets disproportionate blame, yet it was Moulds' stupid fumble that took potential points off the board, and it was Reed's stupidity for moving them back from the goal line.

Tenn playoff - RJ played out of his mind when you consider he started the game with a LT ho had no legs and Byron Boston did his best to keep Tenny in the game (waiting for a Tim Donaghy-like expose of this guy).

The reasons Bills lost those games was not due to the QB, same as the reasons Bills lose today's games are not due solely to QBs - although both still stink.

Why do we always come back to this....

Bottom line

Flutie as Bills Starter - 21-9 (sacked once every 23.1 dropbacks)

Johnson as Bills Starter - 9-17 (sacked once every 6.5 dropbacks)

During the Tennessee Game Johnson went a whopping 10 of 22 for 131 yards was sacked 6 times and lost a fumble. He netted 96 yards on 28 pass attempts (3.4 yards an attempt). The defense played so well that day, an average QB would have won. If Flutie was in, the team wins by a significant margin (10+ points). Billy Joe Tolliver could have put up better numbers...