Chris Polian

rpcolosi

the next billboard funded on the 190 should say "Hey Ralph - bring him home, Hire Chris Polian!"

Irsay sees son of president as heir apparent; other teams come calling

Sat. April 26 - 2008

Anthony Schoettle - aschoettle@ibj.comIBJ staff

Beyond his last name, little is known here about Indianapolis Colts Vice President of Football Operations Chris Polian—even though it’s likely he represents the future of the franchise. In National Football League circles, Polian’s stock has skyrocketed as league owners have realized there’s more to the 36-year-old than his famous last name.

Three team owners since 2005 have sought to interview Polian, second of four children of Colts President Bill Polian, about a general manager position. The San Francisco 49ers and Miami Dolphins were the first to make a play for the young Polian. In January, the Atlanta Falcons came calling.

Each time, Colts owner Jim Irsay swatted those attempts away, making it clear Chris Polian is the heir apparent to his dad as Colts president.

“Having guys like Chris grow within the organization is what we’re looking for,” Irsay said.

While Irsay just signed the elder Polian, 65, to a contract extension through 2011, it is clear the architect of the Colts’ 2006 Super Bowl Championship team is nearer the end of his career than the beginning.

For the younger Polian’s part, he appears to be in no hurry to leave the Colts’ stable, intent perhaps on continuing the winning legacy his father forged in Indianapolis.

“There isn’t a better owner to work for than Jim Irsay,” Polian said.

This spring—as he has been doing since taking his current position in 2005—Polian led the scouting and strategizing efforts that culminate with the NFL draft, held this year April 26 and 27.

Good, bad in Buffalo

It’s little surprise that Polian has landed where he has. As a teen-ager, he was at his father’s side as he built the Buffalo Bills teams that won four AFC Championships during the late 1980s and early 1990s.

“He grew up in the locker room and in the front office,” said Marv Levy, who was the Bills coach when Bill Polian was president. “I was always very impressed by his focus, enthusiasm and sense of direction even at a very young age. Now, there’s no question to almost everyone around the league, he’s on his way.”

Some of Polian’s earliest NFL experiences came while running errands and carrying the headset cord on the sidelines for Levy, who retired in December as Bills general manager.

“Nothing was below Chris, and he has no sense of entitlement,” Levy said. “And he was intent on soaking up all the information he could along the way.”

Polian also saw the cruel side of the sport. On Feb. 4, 1993, after Buffalo had appeared in its third straight Super Bowl, Bill Polian was fired as general manager because he didn’t get along with the Bills’ treasurer, Jeff Littmann.

Chris Polian views the event philosophically.

“I saw the good and the bad in Buffalo,” he said.

(more at link)

Great article though I have to believe his father has provided some career guidance and what traps to avoid. Say for instance, avoid a meddling owner who takes guidance from his accountant rather than his GM.

It is apparent that Chris Polian is in a very stable work environment. He is allowed to do his work in an organization which allows him to grow and learn in his profession. From the article you don't see the chaos and internal tug of wars that deplete the energies of its employes to do what they are supposed to do in elevating the franchise.

Why would anyone want to work for an irascible 91 yr old boss who is very unpredictable. The owner has his own agenda and has installed his finance guardians to protect his financial interests without regard to the product on the field.

Anyone who joins the Raiders has no right to complain about lunatic Al Davis. Their organizational environment of insanity is well known. Anyone who joins the Bills has no right to complain about the incessant interference of a maddening owner. The organizational dysfunction establilshed by the owner is well known by most people.

I have concluded a long time ago until there is an ownership change little is going to change in this rudderless organization. Success in any organization starts at the top. As of right now the Bills franchise is severely handicapped. <_<

I would think that Chris is doomed for apparent failure. His dad will retire in a year or two and hand the reins to Chris. Coincidentally, Manning will be nearing the end of his career. Good luck finding a new Peyton Manning. I think Indy is nearing the end of their run and the moronic fans will blame the downturn on Chris Polian and call for his ouster after a season or two without Peyton.

The firing of Bill Polian has to be the biggest blunder in modern Buffalo sports history, certainly in my generation.

Good job, Ralph. You raised an entire generation of fans that have no idea what its like to have any fun watching football.

At least Cleveland admits they're terrible and does something to fix it. Their last 2 wins in the past 2 seasons were AT BUFFALO. Unbelievable. Actually, no, that's entirely believable.

It is apparent that Chris Polian is in a very stable work environment. He is allowed to do his work in an organization which allows him to grow and learn in his profession. From the article you don't see the chaos and internal tug of wars that deplete the energies of its employes to do what they are supposed to do in elevating the franchise.

Why would anyone want to work for an irascible 91 yr old boss who is very unpredictable. The owner has his own agenda and has installed his finance guardians to protect his financial interests without regard to the product on the field.

Anyone who joins the Raiders has no right to complain about lunatic Al Davis. Their organizational environment of insanity is well known. Anyone who joins the Bills has no right to complain about the incessant interference of a maddening owner. The organizational dysfunction establilshed by the owner is well known by most people.

I have concluded a long time ago until there is an ownership change little is going to change in this rudderless organization. Success in any organization starts at the top. As of right now the Bills franchise is severely handicapped. <_<

The only way Chris Polian would leave the comfort of the Colts and his father is if the Bills offered total control much like Miami did with Bill Parcels. Why would he want to come to a team that is 2 or more years away from being competitive and has an owner who is not the easiest to get along with. Unless Ralph has a moment of clarity and sees that he needs to give over the keys to someone who knows what they are doing another Polian in Buffalo just isn't going to happen.

Don't get me wrong I would love to have him and see the fit of him returning to the area he grew up in. BUT things being what they are with Ralph I just don't see why Ralph would want to give up control of his organization to the son of a guy he fired. Its the right move to fire the brain trust of Russ Brandon, Guy, and Mordack and clean house with DJ and Co but Ralph knows those guys won't fight him for control of this team so they get to stay.

Chris Polian will make a great GM someday either for the Colts or some other team but sadly unless Ralph kicks the bucket and Jim Kelly's group buys the team Chris Polian won't be coming here.

Most of us, myself included, want to see top to bottom change in this organization. Someone like Chris Polian or another proven scouting mind is absolutely essential to getting this team off the NFL scrap heap.

At the same time, I'll contend there is no one within the NFL personnel community of pro and amateur scouting directors who would work for RW given his penchant for meddling. Enough men have been run out of this town by the likes of RW and Littman that it'd be hard to find a good one.

I'll also speculate that few coaches want to work in this environment either, which isn't much better than Oakland and Washington. These teams are toxic workplaces, and no coach wants to start here because HC's generally have one shot at success.

Ahhhh yes...isn't it great that the teams long-term fortunes were determined by the team Treasurer. What did Polian do, park in the d-bags reserved spot? Take the last Ding Dong out of the vending machine? Submit an expense report that included hotel mini-bar cashews?

Thanks Ralph. I can hear Littman right now..."Ralph...with the talent we have here now, what the hell do we need a high-priced GM for?"

Ralph has to beg Bill Polian for forgiveness before anything like this can happen. A public apology to Bill and to all Bills fans for royally <_< things up would be in order. Probably wouldn't hurt to fire Littman & throw him under the bus on his way out the door.

I would think that Chris is doomed for apparent failure. His dad will retire in a year or two and hand the reins to Chris. Coincidentally, Manning will be nearing the end of his career. Good luck finding a new Peyton Manning. I think Indy is nearing the end of their run and the moronic fans will blame the downturn on Chris Polian and call for his ouster after a season or two without Peyton.

Maddog, Good organizations find a way to remain competitive even when their HOF QB eventually leaves the scene. When Tom Brady was out for the season last year the team didn't fold. They still had a very good record. Will the Colts be as good without the exceptional Peyton? Of course not. But that doesn't mean the operation will completely fold.

Under Polian in order to make full use of Peyton's talents he wisely developed a good OL, an excellent receiving corps and a good stable of runners. The Colts defense is not dominating, but it is a relatively good defense.

Football is not a one man show. Compared to other sports such as basketball the rosters are fairly large. Teams which are consistently successful usually have well rounded rosters.

Take a look at the Colts coaching staff. Under Polian the staff has been very stable for a long time. Compare that to the churning of mediocre coaches in the Bills organization.

There should be no surprise that consistently good teams have very strong and smartly run organizations. Pittsburgh, Philly, Baltimore, New England, Giants etc all have fundamentally strong organizations. It is no surprise that all these organizations draft well, work their cap smartly, are prudent about their free agent acquisitions and most importantly realize how essential it is to get a FRANCHISE caliber of qb. You can be very confident that in these successful organizations the football people make the football decisions as opposed to the losing Bills where the accountants dominate the front office. It also helps to have an owner who is not clueless about how to run a successful football franchise. <_<

Ralph has to beg Bill Polian for forgiveness before anything like this can happen. A public apology to Bill and to all Bills fans for royally <_< things up would be in order. Probably wouldn't hurt to fire Littman & throw him under the bus on his way out the door.

For RW to ask forgiveness of BP is impossible and we all know it. RW is a man who won't put Lou Saban on the Wall of Fame, the same man who fired Wade Phillips and sued to not pay him.

RW may have mellowed in his age, but in his mind, the money man is more important than the guy who builds the team which makes the money. Littman and Brandon's job status is tied to RW's longevity, because they ain't going anywhere.

At least we're not Raiders fans. Because that's all I've got right now.

Maddog, Good organizations find a way to remain competitive even when their HOF QB eventually leaves the scene. When Tom Brady was out for the season last year the team didn't fold. They still had a very good record. Will the Colts be as good without the exceptional Peyton? Of course not. But that doesn't mean the operation will completely fold.

Under Polian in order to make full use of Peyton's talents he wisely developed a good OL, an excellent receiving corps and a good stable of runners. The Colts defense is not dominating, but it is a relatively good defense.

Football is not a one man show. Compared to other sports such as basketball the rosters are fairly large. Teams which are consistently successful usually have well rounded rosters.

Take a look at the Colts coaching staff. Under Polian the staff has been very stable for a long time. Compare that to the churning of mediocre coaches in the Bills organization.

There should be no surprise that consistently good teams have very strong and smartly run organizations. Pittsburgh, Philly, Baltimore, New England, Giants etc all have fundamentally strong organizations. It is no surprise that all these organizations draft well, work their cap smartly, are prudent about their free agent acquisitions and most importantly realize how essential it is to get a FRANCHISE caliber of qb. You can be very confident that in these successful organizations the football people make the football decisions as opposed to the losing Bills where the accountants dominate the front office. It also helps to have an owner who is not clueless about how to run a successful football franchise. :censored:

Exactly... effectively replaced Edgren James, kept WR pipeline filled so releasing Marvin Harrison didn't sting, I'd bet they'll find their next franchise QB in 2 years or less from Payton’s retirement, and will have an above average solution to fill the gap in between.

Polian also saw the cruel side of the sport. On Feb. 4, 1993, after Buffalo had appeared in its third straight Super Bowl, Bill Polian was fired as general manager because he didn’t get along with the Bills’ treasurer, Jeff Littmann.

(more at link)

Way to go, fire Bill Polian because of the F$*(&$% treasurer. :censored:

for anyone who thinks his name is chris polian u r wrong. His name is bill Polian

If you read the article its about Bill Polians kid. he works for his old man in the Colts org, but apparently is a chip off the old block and is queued up to take over when Bill retires.

I'd be willing to give Polian's dog a shot at running the Bills organization...