I love this team, but I cannot watch them any more

I used to go to the Bills Backers group here in St. Louis. But the team is playing so pathetic, even when they win it is ugly. The offense makes me sick.

As long as Jauron is in charge, it will be difficult for me to do anything except read about them and follow the highlights. It's embarrassing.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to go to the Bills Backers group here in St. Louis. But the team is playing so pathetic, even when they win it is ugly. The offense makes me sick.

As long as Jauron is in charge, it will be difficult for me to do anything except read about them and follow the highlights. It's embarrassing.

as a season ticket holder I have decided not to let the game ruin the game day experience.

There's nothing better than getting up nice and early Sunday morning, having a couple of cups of coffee, read the paper and then turn to my wife and say: "So, what are we doing today?" <_<

I think the Bills follow a similar approach to Sundays.

Funny they didn't suck in the 90's winning 4 AFC Championships in a row when Ralph owned them.

As long as Ralph doesn't have Chuck Knox, Marv Levy, Lou Saban coaching, or Jack Kemp, Joe Ferguson, Jim Kelly, Doug Flutie, Elbert Dubinion, Booker Edgerson, Cookie Gilchrist, Tom Sestak, Fred Smerlas, Joe Cribs, Thurman Thomas, James Loften, Andre Reed, Frank Lewis, Jerry Butler, Wil Wolford, House Ballard, and insert most starters from 63-68, 80-82, 88-93, 98-99, as well as Bill Polian...

...yes, we are going to suck.

One more thing; he has to pop back into the Way-Back Machine with Mr. Peabody and knock about 30 years off his age, b/c I very much doubt a 91 year old can think dynamically enough in this day and age in the NFL.

Sorry for the Ageism.

Nearly every short period of success that the Bills have had, has come by some sort of "dumb luck"...which Ralph could never manage to sustain. Polian was a great GM, most agree on that. But, the reason we were lucky enough to have him was that he was an unknown, who nobody else in the NFL would have hired at that time. Ralph took a bottom line approach on this hire, and struck gold. But, ultimately, he ruined this relationship. Polian was not saint, and from what we know, might have been a litte tough to get along with...but a good owner would know how to build a working relationship with someone like that, particularly when the results had been so amazing. Successful runs have always ended prematurely for the Bills... Marv Levy, the coach, was another hire that he got lucky with... nobody else would have hired Levy at the time, or at least, any team interested in changing its' fortunes. These two miserly hires, which ended up being great ones, were result of "dumb luck".

The Bills have mostly taken the "dumb luck" approach to solving all of their woes.. they sign cast-offs, journeymen, or other teams high draft pick "busts", or inury riddled guys, and keep their fingers crossed that a perfect storm will happen, and something will pan out for them. It hasn't worked in many years...

I visited with you guys during the Miami game this year at Ozzie's. I was the guy visiting my sick grandmother in St. Louis, but currently live in Florida. Did I encounter you?

Our Bills Backers group, here in Austin, has dropped from a about 35 on opening day, to about 7 the last few weeks... this past week, they were on regular tv here, against the Texans...normally I still would have gone to the bar to watch, but I stayed home and watched this time....sad... I think the camaraderie amongst fellow fans is the only morsel of enjoyment this team brings these days... even the last two wins were pretty bad...

As long as Ralph doesn't have Chuck Knox, Marv Levy, Lou Saban coaching, or Jack Kemp, Joe Ferguson, Jim Kelly, Doug Flutie, Elbert Dubinion, Booker Edgerson, Cookie Gilchrist, Tom Sestak, Fred Smerlas, Joe Cribs, Thurman Thomas, James Loften, Andre Reed, Frank Lewis, Jerry Butler, Wil Wolford, House Ballard, and insert most starters from 63-68, 80-82, 88-93, 98-99, as well as Bill Polian...

...yes, we are going to suck.

One more thing; he has to pop back into the Way-Back Machine with Mr. Peabody and knock about 30 years off his age, b/c I very much doubt a 91 year old can think dynamically enough in this day and age in the NFL.

Sorry for the Ageism.

That's not what the poster said. He inferred it is all Ralph's fault. That was the only name mentioned.

To the Ralph Wilson bashers in this thread:

You do realize that without Ralph Wilson, you would be bitching about some team from a different city. Ralph has made mistakes.....what owner hasn't? The team is a mess right now and 91 or not, Ralph is painfully aware of that. Very few people agreed with keeping Jauron after last season and Ralph knows that too. Ralph does things his own way and fans don't always agree with those things when the team is not playing well. Barring a miracle, things will change after the season is over. For better or worse, no one can say.

I've certainly done my fair share of Bills-bashing and reserve the right to continue to do so. But it's time to lay off Ralph.

There's nothing better than getting up nice and early Sunday morning, having a couple of cups of coffee, read the paper and then turn to my wife and say: "So, what are we doing today?" :censored:

I love it when Sundays start out that way. The Mrs. often comes up with a great way to start the day! :worthy:

Nearly every short period of success that the Bills have had, has come by some sort of "dumb luck"...which Ralph could never manage to sustain. Polian was a great GM, most agree on that. But, the reason we were lucky enough to have him was that he was an unknown, who nobody else in the NFL would have hired at that time. Ralph took a bottom line approach on this hire, and struck gold. But, ultimately, he ruined this relationship. Polian was not saint, and from what we know, might have been a litte tough to get along with...but a good owner would know how to build a working relationship with someone like that, particularly when the results had been so amazing. Successful runs have always ended prematurely for the Bills... Marv Levy, the coach, was another hire that he got lucky with... nobody else would have hired Levy at the time, or at least, any team interested in changing its' fortunes. These two miserly hires, which ended up being great ones, were result of "dumb luck".

The Bills have mostly taken the "dumb luck" approach to solving all of their woes.. they sign cast-offs, journeymen, or other teams high draft pick "busts", or inury riddled guys, and keep their fingers crossed that a perfect storm will happen, and something will pan out for them. It hasn't worked in many years...

And Levy greatly benefited from the very high draft picks we had (Smith, Kelly) and riding Polians coat tails.......I dont think marv was all that great of a coach. What he did do was hire very good assistants and let them do their jobs and keep all those players ego's in check. He was a good administrator of that staff. He was not a great x and o guy and he got out coached badly in SB 25. After his brief stint as gm I also don't think he was an astute talent evaluator either. Polian had to beg him to agree to the biscut trade. That move dramatically propelled the bills forward and took them to the next level and through the best years this team has ever had. Just about any coach with that group would have looked good.

And Levy greatly benefited from the very high draft picks we had (Smith, Kelly) and riding Polians coat tails.......I dont think marv was all that great of a coach. What he did do was hire very good assistants and let them do their jobs and keep all those players ego's in check. He was a good administrator of that staff. He was not a great x and o guy and he got out coached badly in SB 25. After his brief stint as gm I also don't think he was an astute talent evaluator either. Polian had to beg him to agree to the biscut trade. That move dramatically propelled the bills forward and took them to the next level and through the best years this team has ever had. Just about any coach with that group would have looked good.

Marv was maybe not a great tactician, but the things you say he was good at, are what made him great. His ego was one that allowed him to hire good assistants, and let them coach. That is not something that happens all the time, in the NFL. I agree he was a lousy GM (I knew he would be at the time he was hired), but I don't think he was really all that involved in evaluating talent.

How many teams, in all of sports, had all the talent that the Bills had in those years, and managed to do nothing? Sure, losing 4 Super Bowls sounds bad, but there are storied franchises in this league (Browns, Lions) who have never even made it to the big game.