My Meaningless Opinion

R. Rich

Brutal. That's the best way to decsribe New Orleans Part II. Why that title? Well, both games shared many of the same factors:

1. An offense that was inept and squandered many opportunities given to 'em by...

2. A hard-working defense that busted its tail to come up w/ turnovers and to shut down a red hot QB

3. The customary questionable play calling and head scratching moments brought to you by Dick Jauron and company

Fitzpatrick continues to show that he's an answer, not THE answer, for the Bills @ QB. This team lacks a true signal caller. Great. I guess that means we'll get to see our inept management/scouting department go back to work to find a not so suitable guy to be the next QB to be groomed by a subpar coaching staff. The cycle continues. Meanwhile, the lines suffer, allowing very little in terms of pass protection (offense) or pass rushing (defense).

Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson did little in this game, but got little in terms of help from the big guys up front. There were a couple times I saw Bell do a decent job in terms of blocking down to clear the way, but since nobody can neutralize an up front guy and then proceed to attack the 2nd level guys, it doesn't matter. Even when they get some kinda push up front, the opposing LBs are there to clean up the mess.

Terrell Owens and Lee Evans were barely noticeable in this one. Not many attempts going there way, but w/ a line that is just atrocious in pass protection (their barely adequate as run blockers), this is going to continue to be a problem. Making matters worse is the fact that the "safety valve" position, the tight ends, offer little in the way of safety. On the plus side, I did notice Evans working harder to get open in terms of his route running. That's it from the plus side.

Another awful showing from the offensieve line. Bell, as my good friend William would say, appears to be very weak out there. It shows up in his pass protection and on plays where he must drive block the guys in front of 'em. Right tackle also is an issue, as Meredith appears lost many times out there. It's almost as if he's just come here out of the blue w/out the benefit of a full camp to learn the offense and to learn his teammates' tendencies. The interior guys, despite what I read quite a few times on this board, don't offer much more. Eric Wood is NOT a Pro Bowl caliber guard, folks. He's not terrible, but not elite. There is middle ground there, people. Really. Hangartner gets beat up the middle just like Melvin Fowler and Levitre is good to get beat a couple times a game, usually leading to tackles for loss. Where is this much tougher interior O line? Still looking...

As for the D line, things are rough. Going back to the Pro Bowl stuff....Marcus Stroud in the Pro Bowl? I wonder if I'm watching the same Bills games as many folks. I see Stroud get single blocked way more than I care to see a Pro Bowl caliber DT. Watch the game film and spotlight Stroud. You'll see him make a couple tackles @ or near the line of scrimmage, but you'll also see him taken out of plays by ONE blocker just as many times. Considering this, and the way teams rack up the rushing yards against the Bills, there is no way I could vote for him to go to the Pro Bowl, even if I gave a damn 'bout the game any more. Oh yeah, just like Josh Reed has been a whipping boy for Bills fans, so has Kyle Williams. Yet, he has been the most consistent of the interior D linemen this season. Yes, including Stroud. If he's as bad as some of the stuff I've read 'bout him here over the years, then why does the run defense for the Bills look worse w/ him out of the lineup? Hmm...

Schobel and Kelsay worked hard to put pressure on Schaub. Like I mentioned initially, the Bills did to Schaub what they were able to do to Drew Brees in New Orleans Part I; shut 'em down. I even saw, get this, Schobel BULL RUSH Schaub successfully and force a quick throw! Seriously!! Now, if only the front four could get any semblence of a rush from...

The OLBs. Not a stellar performance from these guys. Sure, there were lots of tackles, but not many impact plays. I'd love to see these guys shooting a gap and bursting into the backfield to break up plays, or flying off the edge and coming in there to make a big sack. Instead, we get a bunch of London Fletcher-like tackles for 5 and 6 yard gains. Posluszny did force a fumble in this one, and I did get to see what Nic Harris could do in some extended time (not bad), so it wasn't a total loss. Still, while they had stats, I just wish they had more of the stats you like to see in LBs: sacks, INTs, tackles for loss.

I thought the secondary was okay. Now, hold on there, I'm not being hyper-critical of the unit that actually DID come up w/ turnovers in this game. But, I'm looking @ the unit's performance and not just one player. That one player, Jairus Byrd, continues to be the kinda ballhawk the Bills need in the deep middle. Good thing he's there. Hopefully his play will rub off on the rest of 'em. Reggie Corner was adequate, but appeared to get beaten on a deep pass that was big for the Texans late (saw him and Byrd arguing after the completion) and he did get the (BS) late hit call also. He's got to starting working w/ Morpheus on his Matrix-like stopping in midair technique so that he won't get flagged on those plays. George Wilson was solid, but I don't like to see any safety w/ 15 tackles unless 9 of 'em are for losses. I thought McGee was very good in coverage in that game. He didn't come up w/ any big turnovers, but he didn't let things get out of control either. Aside from the one big play where he shook off Drayton Florence and picked up 18 yards, Andre Johnson was a non factor (his other 5 catches were for an average of 9 yards each). Very nice job on arguably the best wideout in the game. The real problem I see w/ the secondary is in run support. They get there late, and they don't arrive w/ any kinda urgency. No pop, no nastiness, just a "bring 'em down gently" attitude more suitable for flag football. That's probably why many RBs, even those who aren't big bruising type guys (see Moats, Ryan) can break tackles and go for big gains.

Coaching? Yuck. Let's keep it short and sour (ain't nothing sweet 'bout it). The fourth down fake punt call was putrid. My brother , a Steeler fan who attended the game w/ me, asked me, "what had they done in the first 3 plays to make 'em think they had softened 'em up for a play like that?" K, if you figure it out, let us all know. We've been trying to figure Jauron out for years. I just don't believe it can be done. Nice of Jauron to also keep his string of "games w/ blown timeouts" streak going, too. And, can we try to make defenders look as confused w/ pre-snap shifts as Bills' defenders do? It's almost as if everyone, including the opposing teams, has the Bills figured out pre-snap....and they're right most of the time.

Okay, so they're not going into the bye w/ an even record. Oh well. Things are going to be VERY tough for Jauron from here on out. Looking @ the remaining schedule and then realizing the Bills have to play .500 ball (which they couldn't do in the first half of the season) the rest of the way just to get back to Jauron's beloved 7-9, there is a good chance they won't even get to that mark again. Tough times, indeed. But, I will remain ever faithful to the Bills. Yeah, yeah, I realize I may be part of the problem by doing so, but it's a hard habit to break after nearly 30 years.

Brutal. That's the best way to decsribe New Orleans Part II. Why that title? Well, both games shared many of the same factors:

1. An offense that was inept and squandered many opportunities given to 'em by...

2. A hard-working defense that busted its tail to come up w/ turnovers and to shut down a red hot QB

3. The customary questionable play calling and head scratching moments brought to you by Dick Jauron and company

Fitzpatrick continues to show that he's an answer, not THE answer, for the Bills @ QB. This team lacks a true signal caller. Great. I guess that means we'll get to see our inept management/scouting department go back to work to find a not so suitable guy to be the next QB to be groomed by a subpar coaching staff. The cycle continues. Meanwhile, the lines suffer, allowing very little in terms of pass protection (offense) or pass rushing (defense).

Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson did little in this game, but got little in terms of help from the big guys up front. There were a couple times I saw Bell do a decent job in terms of blocking down to clear the way, but since nobody can neutralize an up front guy and then proceed to attack the 2nd level guys, it doesn't matter. Even when they get some kinda push up front, the opposing LBs are there to clean up the mess.

Terrell Owens and Lee Evans were barely noticeable in this one. Not many attempts going there way, but w/ a line that is just atrocious in pass protection (their barely adequate as run blockers), this is going to continue to be a problem. Making matters worse is the fact that the "safety valve" position, the tight ends, offer little in the way of safety. On the plus side, I did notice Evans working harder to get open in terms of his route running. That's it from the plus side.

Another awful showing from the offensieve line. Bell, as my good friend William would say, appears to be very weak out there. It shows up in his pass protection and on plays where he must drive block the guys in front of 'em. Right tackle also is an issue, as Meredith appears lost many times out there. It's almost as if he's just come here out of the blue w/out the benefit of a full camp to learn the offense and to learn his teammates' tendencies. The interior guys, despite what I read quite a few times on this board, don't offer much more. Eric Wood is NOT a Pro Bowl caliber guard, folks. He's not terrible, but not elite. There is middle ground there, people. Really. Hangartner gets beat up the middle just like Melvin Fowler and Levitre is good to get beat a couple times a game, usually leading to tackles for loss. Where is this much tougher interior O line? Still looking...

As for the D line, things are rough. Going back to the Pro Bowl stuff....Marcus Stroud in the Pro Bowl? I wonder if I'm watching the same Bills games as many folks. I see Stroud get single blocked way more than I care to see a Pro Bowl caliber DT. Watch the game film and spotlight Stroud. You'll see him make a couple tackles @ or near the line of scrimmage, but you'll also see him taken out of plays by ONE blocker just as many times. Considering this, and the way teams rack up the rushing yards against the Bills, there is no way I could vote for him to go to the Pro Bowl, even if I gave a damn 'bout the game any more. Oh yeah, just like Josh Reed has been a whipping boy for Bills fans, so has Kyle Williams. Yet, he has been the most consistent of the interior D linemen this season. Yes, including Stroud. If he's as bad as some of the stuff I've read 'bout him here over the years, then why does the run defense for the Bills look worse w/ him out of the lineup? Hmm...

Schobel and Kelsay worked hard to put pressure on Schaub. Like I mentioned initially, the Bills did to Schaub what they were able to do to Drew Brees in New Orleans Part I; shut 'em down. I even saw, get this, Schobel BULL RUSH Schaub successfully and force a quick throw! Seriously!! Now, if only the front four could get any semblence of a rush from...

The OLBs. Not a stellar performance from these guys. Sure, there were lots of tackles, but not many impact plays. I'd love to see these guys shooting a gap and bursting into the backfield to break up plays, or flying off the edge and coming in there to make a big sack. Instead, we get a bunch of London Fletcher-like tackles for 5 and 6 yard gains. Posluszny did force a fumble in this one, and I did get to see what Nic Harris could do in some extended time (not bad), so it wasn't a total loss. Still, while they had stats, I just wish they had more of the stats you like to see in LBs: sacks, INTs, tackles for loss.

I thought the secondary was okay. Now, hold on there, I'm not being hyper-critical of the unit that actually DID come up w/ turnovers in this game. But, I'm looking @ the unit's performance and not just one player. That one player, Jairus Byrd, continues to be the kinda ballhawk the Bills need in the deep middle. Good thing he's there. Hopefully his play will rub off on the rest of 'em. Reggie Corner was adequate, but appeared to get beaten on a deep pass that was big for the Texans late (saw him and Byrd arguing after the completion) and he did get the (BS) late hit call also. He's got to starting working w/ Morpheus on his Matrix-like stopping in midair technique so that he won't get flagged on those plays. George Wilson was solid, but I don't like to see any safety w/ 15 tackles unless 9 of 'em are for losses. I thought McGee was very good in coverage in that game. He didn't come up w/ any big turnovers, but he didn't let things get out of control either. Aside from the one big play where he shook off Drayton Florence and picked up 18 yards, Andre Johnson was a non factor (his other 5 catches were for an average of 9 yards each). Very nice job on arguably the best wideout in the game. The real problem I see w/ the secondary is in run support. They get there late, and they don't arrive w/ any kinda urgency. No pop, no nastiness, just a "bring 'em down gently" attitude more suitable for flag football. That's probably why many RBs, even those who aren't big bruising type guys (see Moats, Ryan) can break tackles and go for big gains.

Coaching? Yuck. Let's keep it short and sour (ain't nothing sweet 'bout it). The fourth down fake punt call was putrid. My brother , a Steeler fan who attended the game w/ me, asked me, "what had they done in the first 3 plays to make 'em think they had softened 'em up for a play like that?" K, if you figure it out, let us all know. We've been trying to figure Jauron out for years. I just don't believe it can be done. Nice of Jauron to also keep his string of "games w/ blown timeouts" streak going, too. And, can we try to make defenders look as confused w/ pre-snap shifts as Bills' defenders do? It's almost as if everyone, including the opposing teams, has the Bills figured out pre-snap....and they're right most of the time.

Okay, so they're not going into the bye w/ an even record. Oh well. Things are going to be VERY tough for Jauron from here on out. Looking @ the remaining schedule and then realizing the Bills have to play .500 ball (which they couldn't do in the first half of the season) the rest of the way just to get back to Jauron's beloved 7-9, there is a good chance they won't even get to that mark again. Tough times, indeed. But, I will remain ever faithful to the Bills. Yeah, yeah, I realize I may be part of the problem by doing so, but it's a hard habit to break after nearly 30 years.

On a kidding note ... you could save yourself a lot of time by writing this in pre-season, then copy/pasting every Monday morning.

Seriously ... nice write-up. It's so grim. I hope this site is around long enough to see you write some MMQB stuff that says how awesome we were in all aspects of the game ... even though I might be in nursing home by then.

Is it time to really seriously look into this team's preparation, not coaching, but physical preparation? Two groins and one quad yesterday?

Regarding your comments about the interior line, I agree to a point. The point I agree about is that Wood and Levitre have not proven themselves to be the monsters a lot of Bills fans believe them to be. They have not shown they are going to be perennial pro bowlers, contrary to the thoughts of our fan base.

That being said, from someone with more astute observations than my own, is there reason to think they will not improve to the point where they can be called pro-bowlers? How much can O-lineman develop w/ experience? I mean a lot of being an O-lineman is strong natural talent. Sure its lifting weights and studying tape. But the top tier O-lineman are so good because of natural gifts: mainly size and their ability to maintain athleticism with their size.

So, can they get better? Or did we draft 2 slightly above average players within the first two rounds?

I agree with most of your post. I wouldn't pick on the secondary too much. Most of the passing plays that Houston made were made when Schobel (aka our entire pash rush) went out and Johnson is a tough cover with no pash rush.

I'm not going to pick on the offense. They don't have a lot of tools in the box so I don't really know what they can do this season. I want to suggest a couple of points for consideration regarding the defense:

1) The Bills defense is not built to be good against the run. They have small DEs and small LBs. They rely almost completely on the DTs, the MLB and the strong safety to stop the opposing running game. The idea is to play a lot of cover 2, make the opposing team try and grind it out and make a play or two (or even better a turnover) during their drive to stop them. Ideally, Buffalo would have 2 or 3 good rush DEs. Unfortunately, the reality is they only have 1. I don't like it, but when Schobel is healthy and the defense is not too winded because of our inept offense, it works pretty well.

Now, in order to be able to sit in cover 2, you need a strong pass rush from your front 4. When Schobel got injured, that ended our ability to rush with 4 men because the rest of our DEs can't rush the passer for crap. This brings me to my second thought...

2) Why did the Bills still play cover 2 with a four man rush when Schobel went out. It reminded me of last season. They should have starting rushing 5 and 6 men to try and get pressure on the QB. If that didn't work (because we don't have any good pass rushing LBs), then rush 3 and cover with 8. I know the defense is beat up and there are rookies everywhere but watching this just killed me.

Seriously ... nice write-up. It's so grim. I hope this site is around long enough to see you write some MMQB stuff that says how awesome we were in all aspects of the game ... even though I might be in nursing home by then.

I hope the internet still exists then so we can read it.

Brutal.

Another awful showing from the offensive line...

Bills' OL coach should be horsewhipped and then fired. Not that this current FO would do that. This current FO stinks. Even CIN's seems better, recently (!) - they were left with 2 remaining starting OLs from '08, but through sticking with injured 2nd year players and one acquisition, their line is functioning...despite their arch-idiot OC.

There's reason why CIN OL coach Paul Alexander also carries the assistant HC title...

its time to blow this whole damn thing up.....seriously

We need to accumulate as many draft picks as we possibly can.......we are set at corner, safety, running back, and wide reciever.......

Past those positions we need talent.......we need a REAL quarterback and that should be a priority.....we need more veteran offensive linemen not rookies next year....we need a defensive tackle next to Stroud.

I still wonder what our interior DT's would look like had we been able to get John Henderson next to Stroud again.

Guest dog14787

Good observations :sick:

Not stopping the run really hurt us against the Texans...

We need to accumulate as many draft picks as we possibly can.......we are set at corner, safety, running back, and wide reciever.......

Past those positions we need talent.......we need a REAL quarterback and that should be a priority.....we need more veteran offensive linemen not rookies next year....we need a defensive tackle next to Stroud.

I still wonder what our interior DT's would look like had we been able to get John Henderson next to Stroud again.

Any Offensive linemen that are any good will be under contract to their current team next year. The only way to get GOOD O-linemen are to draft them. Peters was a RARE case of an O-lineman being traded & no team will let a talented lineman just walk.

Any Offensive linemen that are any good will be under contract to their current team next year. The only way to get GOOD O-linemen are to draft them. Peters was a RARE case of an O-lineman being traded & no team will let a talented lineman just walk.

They need an OL. For several years.

Really? What game were you watching? I saw a lot of high motor guys giving great effort. But then I was drinking heavily shortly after kickoff :sick:

Great post Rich...and your opinion is far from meaningless. But one question from those that were actually at the game...does it look like TO is really trying to catch some of those throws?

I know you are not asking me, but, to me, it looks like Owens is expending his energy to get separation, and, by the time the ball gets to him (normally about 5 yards too deep) he looks like he is too gassed to even extend his arms... it looks like he is trotting. I think, if they are going to get anything from him this season, they have to start giving him more shallow routs to run, and then, the QB (whoever it is) has to try, really hard to throw it to him... it doesn't look like TO has lots' of circus catches left in the tank.... this is kind of like watching Eric Moulds (never as good as TO, in his prime) when he played for the Texans.