Terrance Cody - DT

JimBob2232

We are struggling with stuffing the run, and I saw this guy play yesterday vs. Tennessee, and WOW was he a beast. Now, admittedly I dont know much about him, but I couldnt help but think this is EXACTLY the type of guy we need next to Stroud. He looks like a 1/2 round selection based on projections I have seen at this point...

Thoughts?

We are struggling with stuffing the run, and I saw this guy play yesterday vs. Tennessee, and WOW was he a beast. Now, admittedly I dont know much about him, but I couldnt help but think this is EXACTLY the type of guy we need next to Stroud. He looks like a 1/2 round selection based on projections I have seen at this point...

Thoughts?

THe Big fellow was a beast last night, blocking two field goal attempts, collapsing the pocket, and wreaking havoc in the middle. Shades of Ted and Pat. Too soon to tell but looks like good be just what the doctor ordered.

I can't figure out Kyle Williams. Sometimes, he really seems to be making plays with great energy and intensity. I like Stroud and Schobel, and Kelsay is even having a better year than I remember him having in a little while. So it seems like the individuals are fine.

But the defensive line is clearly not getting it done, and I have no idea who to blame anymore. Is it just that Williams and Kelsay are getting noticed for making a -2 yard stuff on 4th down or a QB hurry and failing to make the 2 yard stops so the plays become 8 yard gains?

Or is this all on the LBs?

As an Alabama fan, I have posted about him quite often. A guy like Cody comes with a little risk, but imo he is going to be a great NFL player. Someone with this kind of brute strength is what the Bills sorely lack.

Bill,

Since you follow the Tide, can you tell me why he's not considered a 1st-round prospect?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft

Is it all questions of conditioning and commitment?

I think not having Puz the whole year has inflated our opponents rushing #'s to a certain extent and the Jets have a great OL, but we still shoudn't give up yards like that. I think we need a DT to go with Stroud, trade for Derrick Johnson to play SOLB, move Puz back to his natural WOLB position, and get a MLB like Spikes in the draft. IMO, that would change the whole landscape of our front 7. You surely wouldn't see things like the Jets game happen anymore.

As an Alabama fan, I have posted about him quite often. A guy like Cody comes with a little risk, but imo he is going to be a great NFL player. Someone with this kind of brute strength is what the Bills sorely lack.

NYBill, I assume the risk you are referring to is that he will balloon up to the two ton capacity. For his huge size he moves very well. But as you suggest he is a risk because of his lack of conditioning. In college you can overwhelm your opponent because of your size, not necessarily so in the pros.

When Bruce Smith came out of college as the first drafted player he weighed around 300 lbs and lacked conditioning. There was a major concern about his lack of discipline. After his first season or so the light clicked on and he dedicated himself to getting into terrific shape. The rest is history.

Another Alabam product I would like to follow is the OT, Andre Smith, taken by Cincinatti with an early first round pick. If he can develop some maturity and acceptable physical conditioning he can also be a dominating pro. Only time will tell.

The problem for the Bills is can they afford to take talented risk picks and then hope for the best? Or is it better for a team with such a dirth of talent take the less talented player who is less of a risk? No easy answers.

The run D aka somethign I will now refer to as "The Keither Ellison Effect" is 1/5 the DL, and 4/5 the LBs IMO. Ellison is terrible, but we were still solid against the run with him, Poz, and Mitchell. With those latter two out we have gotten worse each week. The biggest improvement we can make is get a LB who can fill a gap, take on a block, shed a block, and not over pursue - Ellison cannot do any of those things. He is the worst stareter on the team and worst LB on the roster, you simply cannot be worse than Keith Ellison.

As for Cody, I love D lineman and for him to play with the strength and footspeed he does at 360+ is amazing. He is not a 3 down guy though because he would get too winded - he doesnt play many snaps for Bama. Suh or McCoy are better options IMO, but may not be availible. If this team goes 3-4 in 2010, Cody shoots up the draft board as far as need and talent goes, he fits that role better too. Again, I want Okung the LT before anyone else.

Thoughts?

I love Cody but he is too big to play for the Bills. We like getting run over every week it fit the bend but don't break style.

I love Cody but he is too big to play for the Bills. We like getting run over every week it fit the bend but don't break style.

I like him too. The Bills would never draft him though. they want to keep the team small...right now they are considered the second lightest team in the NFL. i think our size has a lot to do with the injuries and the fact the Bills cannot stop the run. They really need to bulk up to compete with teams like the Doplhins, Jets, and Patriots consistently.

We don't play the 3-4. Besides, looks like a fat POS to me.

Fat-

Ted Washington/Pat Williams/Sam Adams

Not Fat-

Spencer Johnson/John McCargo/Kyle Williams/Larry Tripplett

I dont know about you but I dont enjoy watching a defense give up 180 yards rushing yards a game. Terrence Cody is an absolute unblockable monster. The 2nd coming of Ted Washington. Personaly this whole 3-4 or 4-3 stuff is bull ****. You can take Cody and use him as a 2 down run stuffer in a 4-3 next to stroud, just as easily as he could be a 2 down player in a 3-4. Good players are good players regardless of scheme.

We don't play the 3-4. Besides, looks like a fat POS to me.

Maybe he is fat, but so were Pat Williams and Ted Washington.

As for the 3-4...maybe the Bills should switch at the end of the year. Given that they're allowing almost 200 yards rushing per game and likely to bring in a new coaching staff, it can't get a hell of a lot worse. If they were ever going to do it, this offseason would be the perfect opportunity.

Maybe he is fat, but so were Pat Williams and Ted Washington.

As for the 3-4...maybe the Bills should switch at the end of the year. Given that they're allowing almost 200 yards rushing per game and likely to bring in a new coaching staff, it can't get a hell of a lot worse. If they were ever going to do it, this offseason would be the perfect opportunity.

Think you forgot something. We don't have enough linebackers to play the 4-3, let alone the 3-4.

That's why we should be drafting the best linebacker in the first round, not some fat guy who will eat himself out of football.

Thoughts?

I saw the game yesterday and was impressed. He would be great to have on the team. Only hitch is we would have to get him in the second round. With our first pick, we will need an EMT at Bill's house for when he strokes from the Bill's picking yet another DB.

Think you forgot something. We don't have enough linebackers to play the 4-3, let alone the 3-4.

That's why we should be drafting the best linebacker in the first round, not some fat guy who will eat himself out of football.

No, I haven't. I'm simply saying that at this point, they're going to have to rebuild the defensive front seven anyway, and given that fact, a scheme change should be taken under consideration.