Trent's problem

ottawabills

I think that Trent's problem is he doesn't understand when to release a ball into a route.

He definitely does not know how to throw a timing pattern - whether a slant, curl or even the deep route.

He seems to have lost all his confidence and looks completely lost out there

It's maddening to see that he can only seem to throw to a receiver that's wide open (usually the checkdown).

I much like most of you watch avidly and PVR the heck out of the game.....the O-line is not the greatest but on most drop-backs he has 4 - 6 seconds to get rid of the ball........that's enough time........look at A. Rodgers in GB - he's getting clobbered and has less time but he's had quite a few hook-ups and understands when to get rid of the ball into a pattern.......that is an instinct and trent just doesn't have it..........or he did have it but lost it........I think that is the major difference in winning and losing this year.........If you have a QB that get's it you win games........Let's see how Ryan's Hope plays this Sunday and the next couple weeks.......it's not too far fetched to see if this team pulls that aspect of it's game together we can still make the playoff's - you heard it hear first - sit down and look at the schedule that's left.......it's doable! Possibly as good as 11-5..........after all - look at the beggining of the season last year........If we can have a finish like we started last year - maybe we will be back in the playoffs before long!!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think trent's problem is that he was irreversibly broken last year in arizona.

Maybe it will be like that old cartoon - where you are hit one time and don't know who you are then you're hit again and you're back (Arizona last year - Jet this year)

Maybe it will be like that old cartoon - where you are hit one time and don't know who you are then you're hit again and you're back (Arizona last year - Jet this year)

Maybe... He should use his stanford education though and follow his doctors' advice.

I think trent's problem is that he was irreversibly broken last year in arizona.

Thinking back to the New Yorker article posted here the other day, I was going to say Trent's problem is the accumlating tau on his brain tissue.

Dude should retire.

It's a bad sign when a QB will only throw to a wide open guy (mostly checkdowns or a quick "out" pattern) or a bomb that can only be a reception or overthrown. Trent is stuck in this mode and i remeber JP being stuck in the same mode. They either don't have the ability or confidence to throw it in there over a LB or stick it between two DB's. They certainly don't trust their WR to make a play on a ball that is thrown into coverage. Fitzpatrick seems a little more willing to take some chances. That may result in a pick or two but it also can result in a big play.

Sad to say, I think you may be right. In fact, when the Bills were riding high going into Arizona and I saw that hit on Trent,

I muttered to myself, "That's a career-ending hit."

The evidence is not just in his gun-shy performances on the field but in his speech pattern when being interviewed. I don't recall him speaking so rapidly before the injury, but now the words just seem to spew out, as though he can't think straight enough to slow down. I'm no doctor or expert on head injuries, but I really believe he is damaged.

Trent's a nice kid and I hope he has made enough in his few years in the NFL to buy a house or at least get something out of football. I don't think he'll be around the league much longer.

Really hope I'm wrong.

trent's problem is he's not a good quarterback. conveniently, he will always have that concussion last year against arizona to fall back on. he forgets to pick up milk on the way home for his 'significant other' 10 years down the road? "it's the concussion" forgets to flush the toilet? "that damn concussion again"

Guest dog14787

Trent Edwards problem is an inexperienced O-line and OC along with a HC who should be coaching the DB's.

Trent Edwards problem is the bone headed FO that decided to get cute and revamp a decent O-line in the offseason.

Trent Edwards problem is the Buffalo Bills don't have a clue on how to do anything right including develop a QB without getting him killed. :rolleyes:

I think that Trent's problem is he doesn't understand when to release a ball into a route.

He definitely does not know how to throw a timing pattern - whether a slant, curl or even the deep route.

It's maddening to see that he can only seem to throw to a receiver that's wide open (usually the checkdown).

I much like most of you watch avidly and PVR the heck out of the game.....the O-line is not the greatest but on most drop-backs he has 4 - 6 seconds to get rid of the ball........that's enough time........look at A. Rodgers in GB - he's getting clobbered and has less time but he's had quite a few hook-ups and understands when to get rid of the ball into a pattern.......that is an instinct and trent just doesn't have it..........or he did have it but lost it........I think that is the major difference in winning and losing this year.........If you have a QB that get's it you win games........Let's see how Ryan's Hope plays this Sunday and the next couple weeks.......it's not too far fetched to see if this team pulls that aspect of it's game together we can still make the playoff's - you heard it hear first - sit down and look at the schedule that's left.......it's doable! Possibly as good as 11-5..........after all - look at the beggining of the season last year........If we can have a finish like we started last year - maybe we will be back in the playoffs before long!!!

TO eluded to it earlier this season. Trent doesn't know how to assess single coverage and ball placement. This is why he will have very few 300 yard games if any. Most QB's look for single coverage to throw in. It takes Trent longer to pull the trigger. Trent being extra careful doesn't seem to result in less picks either. Defenders are sitting on his short routes forcing him throw longer which he can't properly assess so he will not do. Other than the "go" route he will not pull the trigger. He is not a gunslinger. It is much easier to teach a gunslinging QB on how to reel it in than to teach a timid passer on how to sling it (JP Losman being the exception of course).

It will be interesting to see Fitz with a week of first team snaps. He seems to pull the trigger sooner especially on the 15-20 yard pass. I don't see TE completing the pass for Lee Evans TD against the Jets. as Fitz did.

Trent Edwards just isn't an NFL-caliber QB. He seems like a nice guy. He seems to want to be good. He's just not good. He doesn't have the "it" factor. Before he does himself any serious damage, I wish the kid would just hang up the cleats and become successful doing something that he's good at. I think his confidence is shot. I think the first concussion has made him terribly gun shy. You need a short memory to be a successful QB in the NFL. He remembers that AZ hit. He remembers the Cleveland meltdown in the 1st quarter. He's afraid of it happening again, and he's doing everything he can to make sure it doesn't. Unfortunately, that means terrible decision-making and checking down way too much. He's a nice kid. I hope he does the right thing and I hope he finds something that can make him happy. Being an NFL QB just isn't it.

First of all, welcome to the board and nice post.

All those points you make about TE's are valid and point to the fact that, unfortunately, he is not a legitimate starting QB in this league. I think he could be a servicable back-up though. The Bills gave him a chance and he failed. He did show some potential, but has regressed terribly. I really can't blame the Bills for giving him a shot, but it sets the organazation back big time. Especially when you miss on back to back to back (probably missing a couple "to back's") QB's, somthing this franshise needs desperately....

TO eluded to it earlier this season. Trent doesn't know how to assess single coverage and ball placement. This is why he will have very few 300 yard games if any. Most QB's look for single coverage to throw in. It takes Trent longer to pull the trigger. Trent being extra careful doesn't seem to result in less picks either. Defenders are sitting on his short routes forcing him throw longer which he can't properly assess so he will not do. Other than the "go" route he will not pull the trigger. He is not a gunslinger. It is much easier to teach a gunslinging QB on how to reel it in than to teach a timid passer on how to sling it (JP Losman being the exception of course).

It will be interesting to see Fitz with a week of first team snaps. He seems to pull the trigger sooner especially on the 15-20 yard pass. I don't see TE completing the pass for Lee Evans TD against the Jets. as Fitz did.

TE completed that exact same pass earlier in the game, and Evans was a step slower on that play. Made the exact same throw on the exact same slant, and he got tripped up. I would say that the change was the huddle and not TE or Fitz.

I'm not ready to cast Trent aside just yet, although it has to be said that with the talent he has at WR and RB you would expect a capable NFL QB (even with a green OL) to be more productive than Trent has been. I also am not convinced that his problems center around the infamous Arizona concussion. He exhibited many of the same tendencies BEFORE that concussion. Namely, he just never has seemed able to properly anticipate -- that is, make the throw BEFORE the receiver comes out of his break. I suspect that part of the issue with Trent is the trust factor. He doesn't trust his OL to give him the time to make the big throw downfield (and hence all the checkdowns). He doesn't trust his receivers to run the precise route (and hence the unwillingness to throw until their route is complete). And worst of all, he doesn't trust himself to make the tight throws. Maybe taking the next 2-3 weeks off and watching a physically less talented QB who appears NOT to have these trust issues, will do him some good.

Interesting discussion on WGR the other day. they were talking about a QB's success and how it correlates to the coaching staff. You look at Orton this year and the complete turnaround he's had and you have to give some credit to the new young coach McDaniels. McDaniels is a pationate coach that isn't afraid to lay in to his players or celebrate on the sideline.

I look at Trent and his lack of confidence and his attitude on sideline as a reflection of Juron. I'm not saying that I think Trent is a great QB but I would like to see what he can do when he has a coach with some fire in him. A coach that has the confidence in his QB to go for a shot downfield on 3rd & 5 instead of the typical draw up the middle into a wall of OL.

Agreed, and it seems to be a growing consensus on this board. Two concussions in one year is serious, both for his health and his game. I hate to say it, people get ready, and no one was rooting for him more than me, Trent might be done.